4 600s or 3 1000s

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

Bobby Smith

Hmmmmmm...........

I think the 1/8HP isnt going to be big enough. Could be wrong, but I would err on the up side.

It's going to be running all the time. Not sure how you are going to divert cold tap thru it first, but make sure the chiller never 'runs dry' as it will freeze the coil.

Well, I really hope you're wrong about it having to run all the time but I have ZERO experience with chillers so I guess time will tell.

During lights out when room temps are at 70, we can agree that it won't have too much trouble bringing that size reservoir down two degrees, right? So that's 12 hours I don't have to worry about.

Also, lights on temps are gonna be 80F at 7' high at the top of the structure, which means they're gonna be about 76/77F down on the floor where the reservoir is.

I think this chiller should be able to bring down the rez 10F pretty easily, but again, we'll see.

And as far as the cool coil idea, here's my thinking:

Not going to run R/O because I'm not trying to waste that much water weekly and because my tap water is actually pretty good.

So the only thing running off of the hose in the garage will be my CO2 generator/hot water heater/whatever you wanna call it.

I'm thinking that I could setup the water lines so that the water which would feed the generator would first run through a cool coil in my main res (hose->cool coil->CO2) - this water will be coming out between 55-60F (best guess) during the wintertime, so I think there's some significant cooling available there.

Also, giving it more thought lately and only time will tell, but I'm hoping to get this system producing to the point where I don't have to run it during summer, when the portable AC and chiller(s) would be struggling to keep up - should be able to get 5-6 pounds per harvest, and at three harvests a year, that's plenty for me and would allow me to take the summer off and not look at any $1K electric bills.

B

Bobby Smith

im a believer in go big or go home too. just depends wat u want to get ur water temps to. if u want purps; 50* is wat im shootin for. hit 53* so far with a 1hp, 2 cooling coils; one in each 70gall rez.

so bob when u hook it up let me know how it works out.
thats a good price tho cant argue great way to start :pimp:

Yeah, it was more of an electrical thing - I know that running a 1HP chiller for 1 hour or a 1/8HP chiller for 8 hours will draw the same watts (roughly) - I just didn't wanna have to tap those extra 15 amps in there to put the chiller on a dedicated circuit, which I would've had to do if I wanted to go much bigger.

And as far as rez temps, anything in the 66-68F neighborhood is fine by me (53F capabilities would be nice, but certainly not essential for me).

And trust me, you think I'm not gonna tell you guys how it works? :)

B

Bobby Smith

Bought More Stuff

Had to drive through two states to get this chiller:

http://www.marinedepot.com/1_8HP_TE...O_SeaChill-FP94510-FICHINQCBC-FP94510-vi.html

1) Bought the 1/8HP chiller (how should I clean this nasty saltwater shit off it?)
2) 50 feet of panda
3) Three gallons of GH - the micro is "hardwater", specially designed for tap water like mine
4) CAP timer - the baddest of badass - didn't get the 1 minute on/4 minutes off one - got the one that's adjustable to the second so I can run 15 seconds on/45 seconds off and shit like that. Pimp.
http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...e-recycle-timer-wdaynight-function-p-541.html
5) Can filter for my drying box I'm going to construct
6) 3" netpots

Oh, can I use pond pumps for the chillers instead of the inline mag pumps that aquarium people seem to use? Since the pumps are always going to be on, I'd rather use my pond pumps which draw ~30 watts versus a 180 watt inline pump - the GPH is rated fairly similar (675 vs. 633 for my pond pump).

91610 001
91610 002
91610 003
91610 004
91610 005
91610 006
91610 007
91610 008
91610 009
91610 010
91610 011
R

RMCG

Warm water and a sponge will get rid of the salt residue.

Keep swapping out the warm water or use different 'rinse' water.

While you have the opportunity, clean out the compressor/filters etc too.

R

RMCG

on the pumps, what are your 'pond pumps'?

Make sure that the GPH rating is equal @ 6' of head (approx. what going through a chiller adds). some pumps start to fall down when actually having to 'work'.

B

Bobby Smith

on the pumps, what are your 'pond pumps'?

Make sure that the GPH rating is equal @ 6' of head (approx. what going through a chiller adds). some pumps start to fall down when actually having to 'work'.

They're EcoPlus pond pumps in a whole slew of sizes - got 185s, 396s, and 633s.......they also make a 1056 I could use if the 633 doesn't cut it - the 1056 still uses less than half the watts of the 700GPH inline pump.

I can't see "wasting" 200 watts/hour (24/7) for a chiller - fuck that.

Trying to use less electric, not more.

R

RMCG

ok, just a regular submersible. Gotcha.

Pumps will add heat to the res though.

Same reason you are seeing high temps in your EZ Cloner.

B

Bobby Smith

ok, just a regular submersible. Gotcha.

Pumps will add heat to the res though.

Same reason you are seeing high temps in your EZ Cloner.

Actually, pretty sure that the 633 and up sizes are able to be run inline as well (but I'll have to check on that).

I'm assuming that you would vote for running them inline, then? Didn't think a 35 watt 633GPH pump would add that much heat, but I really have no idea - certainly won't add nearly as much as a 180 watt mag drive.

Also RMCG, any thoughts on that cool coil idea?

I'm just wondering if I'd have enough water pressure out of the hose to run it through the cool coil and still have enough pressure to run the generator - glady taking feedback on this idea.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the idea is sound and would work; I'm just not sure if it would work "enough" to make it a worthwhile endeavor to pursue - probably 20 gallons a day going through it? More? Less? I've got no fucking clue.......

R

RMCG

I would run it inline, if possible. Put it in a 5g pail of water and run it with a slightly crimped tube (or sprayer), something to 'add' a little resistance and see how much it heats up your bucket in an hour or two.

I am not sure about how to run tap through the cool coil AND the c02 generator to not have both be drain to waste. Seems like more of a hassle than it might be worth.

B

Bobby Smith

Hose attached directly to the intake of the coil - water (55F) flows through coil, assisting in chilling rez.

Water leaves coil and enters CO2 generator ("exit" of coil is hooked up to "intake" of CO2 generator).

CO2 generator heats water (which is probably 60F now after cooling the coil/rez slightly), and heated water is exhausted into PVC and drains to outside.

Make sense? I'd draw a diagram but that's WAY above my paygrade.

EDIT: Now I see where I caused the confusion - the cool coil wouldn't be controlled by anything and would only be operated when the CO2 unit operated - figure it'd be a nice little additional cooling that would lessen some of the load off of the (possibly undersized) chiller I just bought.

Also, I hate wasting that much water, so it'd make me feel a little better to know that it was at least doing double duty - ya know?

R

RMCG

Ok, gotcha. I was thinking you were going to try and run the cool coil off the chiller AND try to 'add' in tap water. I pictured valves and controllers and such.

Sure, I think that would work. Not sure if it would really be worth it though.

80-100$ SS coil, sitting idle most of the time.

I would have just went with a bigger chiller, for the money.

B

Boomer242

ya bro those temps are legit im sure ull be fine. u can always upgrade down the line if u feel the need.

i got ur post on my journal and want to get all the specs before i post. so ill do it tomorrow when i feel likegettin the boxes out. i have so many diff pumps idk wats wat size anymore.

but for my setup i have the chiller below thr two growrooms in the garage. i have a 35gall brute trash can with two submesrible pumps. one pumps 1" line into the chiller from the chiller rez. the water is just tap water. i set the chiller to 50* and the water circulates thru the chiller in and out of the trashcan rez. it cools down to about 52* in the chiller rez then i have a seperate sub pump that pushes the cold tap water thru a 3/4" insulated tube line up to the grow room where i split it off to the two diff cooling coils. cold line is insulated and the return is just 3/4" tubing. cycles thru the cooling coil that sits in my 70gal rezs and the exchange returns bak down to the chiller rez and is cycled thru the chiller again etc.
I had thought that the cooling coils tubing was insulated buuuuut its not. i think they should rethink that options considering im paying $150/coil which is ridic as is. im actually gonna talk with my pops about makin our own similar design and build it out of his metal shop. considering ill need lik 8 total for the shop its worth it.

anyways bro keep up the good work ill get u more details later on my thread.

oh ya heres the split in the flower room

http://i837.invalid.com/albums/zz299/BudLust/IMG_0750.jpg

also u mentioned before about using a 15amp dedicated breaker for ur chiller. if u look in this pic we ran a temp line from my subpanel to the chiller and the pumps. so u can have several outlets off that same 15amp breaker thus sharing the same power cuz i doubt ur chiller is pullin 15amps even at power surge. but i know about ur electric situation just a tip for the future :joint:

http://i837.invalid.com/albums/zz299/BudLust/IMG_0749.jpg

B

Bobby Smith

Boom, you're the man - thanks a ton for looking into that for me.

Trying to decide if it's worth my time and money to divert the tap to cool my reservoir first before feeding the CO2 generator, or if the cooling I got wouldn't really be worth the effort.

I'm thinking it'll definitely be worth it, but we'll see.

On another note (and perhaps RMCG could help with this), could I use something like this?

From what I've been reading on the beer brewing websites (it's amazing the different hobbies you get exposed to while doing research), the link above is the pro's choice for quick and efficient cooling - it's made out of stainless steel, but then "brazed together with pure copper".

I know that copper is very bad to be using with RO water, but I think I remember reading that it's fine for tap water and nute'd water, which is what I'd be using (not running RO anymore).

So can I use that and leave it totally submersed in my rez for months on end?

EDIT: Just doing some back of the envelope calculations based on this line:

"Chill 10 gal (37.8 liters) of wort in 5 minutes to 68 F (20 C) using 58 F (14.4 C) cooling water at 5 gallons/min (19 liters/min). "

So going from 212F to 68F = 144F difference * 10 gallons * 8.35 lbs./gallon = 12,024 BTUs of heat are removed in five minutes?

Can this be right?

Because if so, this coil would damn near get my reservoir TOO COLD if it's running for five minutes every hour (roughly), right?

Am I fucking that calculation up somehow?

B

Bobby Smith

Just ordered this:

I like that it's 50' as opposed to the 25' Hydro Innovations one - double the cooling for me because the water is limited.

Also pretty pleased with the progress I made on the wall and the ceiling - I grossly underestimated how long it was gonna take, but I'm thinking another two solid days of work should have me ready to panda - not sure how much I'll get to on the weekend, but I'm shooting for Wednesday at the latest for the panda to be up.

91710 001
91710 002
91710 003
91710 004
91710 005
I

Integra21

Looking mare like a room every day Bob. Im waiting on an address from someone else, but if I dont have it by monday, I'll drop it off. Keep up the good work.

B

Bobby Smith

A Problem?

Put a question mark afterwards because it's not the worst problem to have, but one tray of the clones (72 of the 144) are fully rooted - the other tray is lagging behind because the dome didn't fit as well and it didn't stay as humid, but I'm pretty sure they'll be ready in a few days as well.

Of course, seeing as how they need to go into the octagon when they leave the humidity dome, that's a bit of an issue because the octagon isn't finished (even really started) yet.

But hung some panda today (the worst invention in the world, fucking hate that shit and just gave up on trying to panda the ceiling) and am gonna start installing the AC, dehumidifier, etc. tomorrow.

Also just cut some PVC and started fucking around with the octagon - the actual building of it should be cake, and I am aiming to have it up and running by Tuesday.

Thinking I'm gonna buy a 96 gallon professional grade trash can from Home Depot for my reservoir.............lotsa shit to do still, kinda freaking out a bit because I didn't anticipate the clones getting done ahead of schedule.

Also taking a vacation to Europe from October 16th to the 25th, so that's gonna be interesting leaving a brand new system alone for 10 days while they do the 12/12 stretch...........yikes.

Enough talk, here's a shitload of pics:

92510 001
92510 002
92510 003
92510 004
92510 005
92510 006
92510 007
92510 008
92510 009
92510 010
92510 011