4 600s or 3 1000s

• Thread starter Bobby Smith
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

jakew215

i think you need to stretch that plastic tighter... use tape then staple over the tape a couple times and it wont pull out. i think that stuff has to be extremely flat to be really effective. i think i heard jaliscokid say this but im not sure, hopefully he can chime in...

GUERRILLA TAPE -- good stuff.

and as for your plants being ready before you are... i cant really help you. you have so much shit going on i cant even keep up lol. if it were i i'd plop em in some soil and do a run in soil till you get everything done. looks like you got a couple months worth of work left but need to get your clones in a system yesterday...

looks like your getting a lot done though. keep up the work.

B

Bobby Smith

Yeah, more using the panda as a vapor barrier than for its reflective properties so I think I'm just gonna deal with it as is.

Not too worried about having the plants ready too soon - I'll figure out something to do with them while their new home is being constructed and tested.

Looking for a big productive day tomorrow to get me back on track - also turned the lights down to 18/6 to slow veg down a little bit (ironic thread crossover there, Jake).

I

Integra21

Cant wait to see this octagon built. If your girls get to big before they go in, just run less of them and it should be fine, just dont let it turn into an overgrown mess, that can lead to all kinds of problems you dont want. Keep up the good work bob, and if your using the panda as a vopor barrier, make sure to tape all of the seems and staple holes. I like using white duct tape for that. Just makes it look real clean when you're finished.

B

Bobby Smith

Jake, took these pics five minutes ago - as you can see, they are fully rooted and need a new home ASAP - might put them in my 4x4 tray in 3" netpots for a few days or something.

BTW, I'm sorry that your thread has turned into a retarded 24/0 vs. 18/6 debate - I'm not gonna respond to anymore questions about it in your thread (and have already gotten negative repped for my responses, lol.......what a bitch move).

Integra, actually having a good discussion at another forum with a guy who's built a few of these things - he's got some pics of his in there if you'd like to take a look - it's just me and him going back and forth talking about it:

92610 001
92610 002
92610 003
92610 004
92610 005
B

Bobby Smith

Quick Update

Bought 16 22.5 degree PVC fittings and am going to return the 8 45 degree fittings I bought - now it's not going to be an octagon, it's going to be a sixteen-agon - a much better shape all around, but more expensive as well.

Mounted the Sentinel but haven't hooked anything up to it yet (or even made sure it's fully operable, but it should be); fully installed the AC, tested it, it's working; just about finished installing the CO2 generator (after three trips to Home Depot for parts), but need to make a fourth trip for a 1/2" female threaded thingy so I'm gonna hold off til tomorrow for that.

Actually ran the water for a second, testing the pressure after going through the 50' non-kink hose and then running through the 50' cool coil - came out fine (plenty of pressure) even after flowing through 100' total, so I'm pretty stoked on that.

Stupidly put the CO2 generator right over an outlet, so I'm gonna see how watertight it is tomorrow and possibly move it if I'm worried about leaks, but there's not a lot of room to move it to, so I think I'll make do.

Gonna start construction of the base of the octagon either tonight (doubtful, as my girl is feeling plenty neglected these days) or tomorrow.

Any questions/comments about the pics, just ask/say.

92710 001
92710 002
92710 003
92710 004
92710 005
92710 006
92710 007
92710 008
92710 009
92710 010
B

Bobby Smith

Some Pics And A Video

So, spent hours and hours trying to get the Marey up and running............and it wasn't working because the fucking batteries were in the wrong way.

Can't make this shit up.

Anyways, went to Home Depot and bought proper fittings for it, so it's all legit now (see video for a demo).

Also started work on the sixteen-agon - gonna have the base finished by tonight, then it's just plopping the columns in it and doing the watering system.

Shooting for Thursday completion, but Friday or Saturday is probably more realistic because of having to source all these wyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWTX5CqEALw

92810 001
92810 002
92810 003
92810 004
92810 005
92810 006
92810 007
M

MediMary

This was a great thread, first time I have seen it, very enjoyable read!!!
Looking forward to following along.

J

jakew215

helllllll yeeeeahhhhh, thats some progress. im getting a better picture in my mind now.

how does that cool coil work? does it need to be like in a cool environment to work?

B

Bobby Smith

Thanks for stopping in everybody! :)

Just mounted the 600 ballasts and am gonna try to get those lights hung up and running today - have been running the Sentinel with the CO2 and AC and everything seems to be working fine, but I'm a little worried about the AC being able to handle the heat from the lights, chillers, etc.

Jake, the cool coil works by simple heat transfer - it's going to be sitting in my 70-100 gallon reservoir, and anytime the CO2 kicks on and cold tap water runs through it (it's 50' feet long), it will help to keep my reservoir cool.

With 55-60F tap water temps in fall and winter, I think it'll defiitely help alleviate some stress off of my chiller, and in turn off of my AC.

The progress is coming fast and furious now, people - this growing system is gonna be done sooner than you think :)

S

Socachi

Hey Bobby just wanted to get subscribed, enjoy watching the lesson learned as you go along, picking up some good ideas. Look forward to seeing the completed room before the plants go in. Thanks... Socachi

B

Bobby Smith

I am anxious to see your hexadecagon built and running!

Lol........I'm probably gonna leave one side open for access (still undecided - shocker), so it'll technically be a pentadecagon :P

Socachi, thanks for stopping in - you've gotten to skip all the boring stuff and are here just in time for the fun :party0044:

All right, so here's where we're at - mounted ballasts, hung bulbs/moguls, and they're on right now.

Was having some issues with my surge protector that I originally attributed to the dual arc bulbs, so I'm gonna try them again later and see if I can get them to work better for me.

Anyways, all four are on and rocking right now - turned them on at five, and they're running with the CO2 and AC on as well - trying to get a feeling for how well (or more likely poorly) the AC can handle that heat load.

Remember, there aren't any chillers or my 600 watt veg tent in there yet - that being said, it's also unseasonably warm and humid today, and I would be running the lights at night, so I guess we can call that a
"push".

Anyways, here's some pics:

92810 010
92810 011
92810 012
92810 013
92810 014
92810 015
92810 016
92810 017
92810 018
92810 019
92810 020
92810 021
92810 022
92810 023
B

Bobby Smith

Well, kinda disappointed, but also taking it for what it's worth - when I went in there after 100 minutes of everything running, the Sentinel said 92, but that's right near the lights with no fans in the room.

The AC said 75, which is about five feet away from the Sentinel.

Definitely not pleased about that first reading, but not gonna cry, either - figure you average the two out and you're at 83 with some decent air flow.

An option could be to cool tube the lights, but with how big I'm building the pentadecagon (I really can't say that word enough), I kinda need all the lighting I can get - if I go to cooltubes, I think I'll go with 3 1Ks.

I'd also run them on a closed loop, with intake air from the crawlspace and then exhausting into the "empty" garage, so no CO2 or smell would get exhausted with them (in theory).

Holy fucking shit.

LBH

LBH

Holy fucking shit is right,lol. Quite the project you got there, can't wait to see it full of colas against the ceiling!!

What was your previous set up? (roughly)

I'm looking to expand soon and the 600 v 1000 question has loomed here also, thanks for bringing it up.

Good luck finishing her up!!!

scribed

ps- what's in there for circulation? (sorry for being lazy and not reading back) Temp difference like that suggest you may need more.

B

Bobby Smith

LBH, thanks for stopping by - as far as circulation goes, there's nothing in there, yet - have a couple of oscillating fans I still need to wall mount, and I've got some other fans I'll most likely stick in there as well - it's still a work in progress, and wanted to get some of the "meat" of the room done before sticking fans on the walls.

And my previous setup was a 4x4 E&F table with hydroton in a tent (for flowering, the 2x4 veg tent will pretty much remain the same).

You can see a video of it titled "new setup" in my Youtube videos - I'm "Sogbobsmith".

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Get er done.

Saw you posting about the dry run and temps.
Not sure if you have tried this yet.
Moving the temp sensor on the ac may help out your temps.

Some models you can move the sensor (remove it from the grill and relocate) or even hook it up to a digital themostat. Since the sensor is sometime very close to the cold air then the ac does not work as hard as it should.

Without proper circulation you then have a colder area near the ac. But that can be fixed with fans and air circulation.

Another trick is to put the dehuey net to the ac and point the hot air from the dehuey at the temp sensor on the ac. That will also get the ac to cool more.

Do not want to get ahead of you. See you got alot going on, I see you just have not installed fans/scrubber yet.

Maybe just having them in the room will even things out. If not, Testing would be more accurate with circulating fans.
Just wanted to let you know maybe some of the tips you have not tried yet.

Hope that helps

B

Bobby Smith

Well the AC is actually controlled by the Sentinel CHHC-1, which is that little doohickey you see mounted on the wall in between the ballasts and the CO2 generator.

And yeah, I think once I get the fans in there (gonna see if I can grab some tomorrow, thinking just a 12 or 16" oscillating fan on each wall along with my box fan which will be pointed vertically and blowing up the lights) should help stabilize things a little bit - those fans will be in addition to the two inline fans on either wall moving air whilst attached to filters to remove smells.

Would've loved to go in there and see 75F, but the Sentinel sensor was sitting right next two four 600s with stagnant heated air around them (in addition to being right next to the CO2 generator), so all's not lost.

Even if some fans in there don't solve the problem, I've got some other tricks up my sleeve I could use - a massive reservoir in the crawlspace with Ice Boxes, moving the ballasts, chillers, and everything else outside the grow space, installing a cool tube for the lights, etc.

Just cut 30' of PVC, about to start some more glueing now..............BTW, if anyone sees this and thinks they might wanna try to the same, remember to source your PVC wyes ahead of time, ESPECIALLY IF THEY'RE AN ODD SIZE LIKE 4x4x3.

Gonna have to hit every Home Depot and Lowes within a 50 mile radius tomorrow.

R

RMCG

Look in to the AirKing 9550 for a great 'vertical' fan.

air_king_air_mover_pivot.jpg

I use them for 'under/over canopy' ventilation.

I would go the cool tube route vs Iceboxes.

Hell, I would go the cool tube route anyway. 400$ in tubes will come back after a harvest or 2 in extra juice required for the AC/chillers.

Top Bottom