4 X 4 First Run With Photo-period Strains

• Thread starter gwheels
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
gwheels

gwheels

Hello and good day.

As soon as my autos are harvested I will be putting 4 plants in my 4 x 4 tent.

2 Sour Kush (Canuck Seeds)

2 King Tut (Canuck Seeds).

I will veg them for 4 to 6 weeks until I top them a couple of times to fill the tent better.

I have a fusion 4 X 4 x 6.5 tent

6 inch 450 CFM ventilation through a charcoal scrubber. Running it on low keeps the temps at 72 to 82 (cool to peak).

A growthstar scorpion 550 watt cob light (24 X 24 inch light with 9 cobs on it)

And my latest addition

A 4 pot autopot system that I will use to feed my plants.

It is a 13 gallon reservoir that gravity feeds 4 plants with a float system to keep them the right level. The pots a 3.9 gallons each.

All pots will have 1 inch of clay pebbles. Those are phing out right now.

They will be 50/50 perlite and coco. I might do two with 1 inch rockwell cubes and clay pellets and 2 with 50/50 perlite and coco just to see if one is better than the other.

I will post a pic in the next 4 weeks after I get my autoflower harvest finished. Then I am really looking forward to seeing how this works. I hate watering 6 plants in a tent. 4 good photos and an easier way of watering them is going to work out better. And I think it is more idiot proof than DWC or RWDC would be for me.

gwheels

gwheels

Here is the plan. The reservoir will go on that little bench and I might have to get a smaller oscillating fan to give a bit of room but I think it will work ok. These plants have to get harvested first. 5 should be ready in 3 weeks and the last one can finish while I am vegging the others. :)

Filter and light
This side will be empty
The side with the stuff
Tent 3
Tent 1
gwheels

gwheels

First time with coco too :) That baby is the auto that will grow while I veg me 4 awesome plants. This time I learn about cropping them to make 4 or 8 bud sites on each of the 4 plants :). I think the learning is the part i like the most. Because I am stocked up on green for the next 6 months it is good to experiment :)

I set the ph on my clay pellets to 4.5. I will use 1 inch of clay pellets in each container and do coco/perlite 50-5o. If i have pellets leftover i might try one 50 50 pellets and rockwool cubes. I have a giant bag of 1 inchers and i have no freaking idea what to do with them anyway.

I have PH down and up to last me forever. And nutes to last me about 1 year of growing. No more expenses for me except electric and water and I am going to get a RO system to make the water part easier. I will put it in the basement so it is where i need it.

In April when they legalize it maybe I can just be a consultant on what not to do. Regardless my summer garden will be within the restrictions (4 plants no more than 4 feet high). All of the cropping and LST training will make those ridonkulous. Or that is my plan at least.

IMG 20170127 152608
justiceman

justiceman

hell ya man! Hahaha they think they are limiting your yield with height restrictions. LOL YA RIGHT! Dude I love coco. I usually run it pure, but I hear 50/50 blends can kick some serious but. Don't let em dry out!

I always wanted to try a rockwoolfloc grow. It's just a huge bag of shredded rockwool kind of like your bag of 1" cubes. I've seen some trees off of pure rockwool grows in pots it was pretty neat.

gwheels

gwheels

For the autopot they recommend 50/50 of both of those mixes. coco and perlite or clay pellets and rockwool. There are others too but I have tons of perlite kicking around (I killed them in a hempy). I also have a bag that looks like 50 pounds of grain but its rockwell cubes so it weighs about 5. So lets see what this bad boy can do. I think the auto pot will work for me because I can not stop the over watering. And the auto grow screwed up because I learned PH on that one. I think I am going to have my biggest grow ever but stuff was way too nitrogen starved due to lockout that i finally understood. I am dialing it in now. Constantly variable with precision (5.5 to 6.5 with both mediums).

I have a blue pen and a TDS meter and every damned thing I need to make it work.

I will run the RAW nutrients GROW and BLOOM and some calmag+ from holland I will supplement with bio root and some bud maxxer when I get around to it. I have organic biobud but I would rather get a mineral one and i drive by a hydro shop for grief counseling. It will be the only non sucky part of the whole thing :). The bio root is enough organics. I want to make this as easy as possible for myself. I am thinking about putting the reservoir outside of the tent all altogether . Just a line coming in. I have space beside it and it would be easier to maintain a closed weed environment.

And I am a very big man. The 4 x 4 is cramped with nothing in it :p

My next research project is finding a natural CO2 maker. OR I am making the prison beer kind. I can run those lines in the tent with no bs and keep the stuff outside. With the mars light I might be able to fill more of the tent.

Holy shit i just got excited.

Last edited:
gwheels

gwheels

And if I advertise a service (I CAN HELP YOU GROW MONSTER WEED WITHIN THE LAW)

And I charge for that service. I think the customers would be WAY better off than if they had to take my education. I like hard knocks and you pay for beans and stupid but eventually you learn. I think I am on to something.

justiceman

justiceman

lmao! I hear you. I am also a big man in a 4x4. Space is tight for sure! I see definitely best to go with the recommended medium choices for the system. Cool man I just looked up RAW so they are basically individual salts that you balance yourself? That's badass. This should be good.

gwheels

gwheels

We had a strain change. My sour kush seeds decided to commit suicide. So I cracked out 2 jack herer seeds and they are sprouted and in coco. 3 plants will be 50-50 perlite/coco and one will be 33-33-34 (roughly :) ) perlite/coco/rockwell cubes, because I ran out of perlite and i have a bag of those damned things :).

I have also added my Mars reflector 48 to my lighting. Actual power draw on that light is 100 watts to go with the 550 watt mcob. I think it will fill the space even better.

We are about 2 to 3 weeks away from autopots. The photos are in beer cups at the moment. And lucky me i had yellow and red ones so i can tell which is which. :) This will be my best grow ever because that happens every time. I am taking baby steps. Or I prefer to say no one has ever received a free education. I pay in seeds and yield but things are shaping up.

This round I am going to manifold all 4 plants with 8 tops. I think that is going to work out better. Do you think I need something to support them? I will go get some tinker toys or tomato baskets if I need to. I never had that problem.

:)

justiceman

justiceman

Do you think I need something to support them? I will go get some tinker toys or tomato baskets if I need to. I never had that problem.

:)
I literally have thought this every single grow. Sometimes I think "ya I don't need to support them this time" and then some colas fall over. Then another time I'll say "sure I'll put up a screen or small tomato cages" and then they didn't need it lmao.

gwheels

gwheels

When do you transplant out of the beer cup?

Transplanting is new to me. Autos don't like it.

One just hit the third node and I am going to manifold it at the fifth.

gwheels

gwheels

Here is the Friday update of the photos. The autopot system is installed and ready for when i transplant. I topped the two bigger plants (king tut) and the other two are starting to grow. I also got a vortex fan and my vibration problems are gone. It is considerably better than the cheapo i had before.

The autos are almost done (1 gets jarred tonight, 2 just went in the cold room, 1 should be ready in a week and the other in about 3 weeks. Just in time for the photos to get all of the attention.

IMG 20170217 100351
IMG 20170217 100348
IMG 20170217 100344
IMG 20170217 100106
IMG 20170217 084019
justiceman

justiceman

When do you transplant out of the beer cup?

Transplanting is new to me. Autos don't like it.

One just hit the third node and I am going to manifold it at the fifth.
Sorry I thought I answered this question haha. I keep em in the beer cups until I see a few signs. Roots coming out of the bottom holes, and the beer cup feeling dense from the mass of roots is what I look for as well as them drinking more often than before. I'm more concerned with a good root system so they can take off when I transplant. I don't pay as much attention to the amount of nodes they have.

---------------------------------------------------

Looking good though man. Glad that vortex isn't annoying like your other fan. I hate excess noise or rattling. I have a vortex myself for exhaust and it's been running strong for a LONG time. That autopot system looks great. I can't wait to see it in action!

gwheels

gwheels

I have 1 king tut that just got topped the 2nd time. I topped it and it produced 4 bud sights and i topped them all again and we should have 8. I have one that is at 4 and a white widow that is small and a jack herer that was topped the first time. Should I wait after topping to do a transplant? because I am going to set up the pots to run 2 for now for the king tuts. They are getting big for their cups. The other two have a week or so so I will put a shut off valve in the middle :) Awesome sauce they came with it. So how long after topping would you do before transplant? I dont want to shock the crap out of them but the biggest one would be fine. It is going to be a monster.

Last edited:
justiceman

justiceman

That's a pretty good question actually. A lot of people would probably say wait a week after topping, but I'd say it depends on your root system. If the roots are everywhere pot up. If they aren't wait.

jipp

jipp

Sorry I thought I answered this question haha. I keep em in the beer cups until I see a few signs. Roots coming out of the bottom holes, and the beer cup feeling dense from the mass of roots is what I look for as well as them drinking more often than before. I'm more concerned with a good root system so they can take off when I transplant. I don't pay as much attention to the amount of nodes they have.

---------------------------------------------------

Looking good though man. Glad that vortex isn't annoying like your other fan. I hate excess noise or rattling. I have a vortex myself for exhaust and it's been running strong for a LONG time. That autopot system looks great. I can't wait to see it in action!

i just put 4 bb size holes in the bottom of the solo cups.. that should be good for drainage?? or should i do more?

chris.

Latest posts

Top Bottom