707finishers first indoor grow, small tent.

• Thread starter 707finisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
707finisher

707finisher

You might recall that the pH scale can be used to gauge the concentration of an acid. This scale is actually directly linked to the amount of hydrogen ions in a solution. The greater the number of hydrogen ions in a given volume, the lower the pH will be (the pH scale typically runs from 0 to 14). Because the scale is logarithmic, for every drop of one whole unit in pH, the hydrogen ion concentration increases tenfold.

ahhhhhh so if I get it lower like 5.5 it’s 10times as acidic as 6.5 or so I think, so it’s much easier to maintain the lower ph, even though initially it takes more ph down.

707finisher

707finisher

So what increases your 6.4 to 7.4 would only increase a solution of 5.5 to 5.6 or so in theory, everywhere I’ve read says ph creep happens no matter what for so many reasons I stopped reading about that.
man this has helped me understand so much better!! Thanks @Beachwalker for talking to me about it!!

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

But that still doesn't explain how it stays 6-4 in The Jug but that same water went from 6.4 to the top of the scale??🤪🤯

Eh.. I'm smoking a joint of gorilla glue Watching Project Blue Book chilling so I don't give a rat's ass I changed the water that's all I can do I'll change it every 12 hours I don't give a shit I'll figure it out eventually or die trying don't mean nothing

I dropped it to 6 like you mentioned above in 12 hours I'll take another reading and post it we'll figure this out my friend ...I think I don't know 50/50 maybe right now? LOL 😉

Edit: yes my tap is 95 - 100ppm or less all the time

707finisher

707finisher

But that still doesn't explain how it stays 6-4 in The Jug but that same water went from 6.4 to the top of the scale??🤪🤯

Eh.. I'm smoking a joint of gorilla glue Watching Project Blue Book chilling so I don't give a rat's ass I changed the water that's all I can do I'll change it every 12 hours I don't give a shit I'll figure it out eventually or die trying don't mean nothing

I dropped it to 6 like you mentioned above in 12 hours I'll take another reading and post it we'll figure this out my friend ...I think I don't know 50/50 maybe right now? LOL 😉

Edit: yes my tap is 95 - 100ppm or less all the time
The plants are absorbing and using the minerals that create the acidity, causing the ph to rise as the nutrients deplete, that’s why your jug stays the same :) it’s more noticeable at a higher ph because the amount of minerals is 10 times less per ph point

707finisher

707finisher

They might have an easier time absorbing a natural acid like citric acid idk, I struggled with lemon juice and gave up.

707finisher

707finisher

the instructions on the coco plugs I bought was soak them in ph 5.5 water and squeeze out excess.

This gives me an idea, I want to swap the water out in my cloner anyway. I will lower 150ppm water 7ph down to 5.2 with ghph down, and measure the ppm. Then I will monitor the ph and ppm over a week and as they use the ppm record the results, 400-500 ppm I’ve read is ok for clones. I will record the ml it takes to lower it as well.

here’s my idea, bloom is acidic anyway, I’m going to use bloom to adjust the ph after it starts to rise, keeping it at 5.5-6. I’ll use a tiny bit of superthrive, it has .5 nitro on the front and has b1.

4) Veg or bloom nutrients? Something with phosphorus (for rooting) and nitrogen?
As long as you're taking cuttings from a healthy mother plant (and what else would you take cuttings from?) there's really no need to use nutrients during the cloning process. A cutting is developing roots because it's searching for food. If you try to feed something that doesn't have a mouth yet, you're defeating the purpose. Cuttings root perfectly fine with some IBA's and Vitamin B-1.

or so I read lol

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

The plants are absorbing and using the minerals that create the acidity, causing the ph to rise as the nutrients deplete, that’s why your jug stays the same :) it’s more noticeable at a higher ph because the amount of minerals is 10 times less per ph point
Not in my case, don't forget I'm cloning there are no roots yet

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

So from 10 last night to 6 a.m. this morning the pH went up like a rocket again..
20200122 061744

The good news is I took out a variable being the light as that was the dark period. So what else is left?

the tray which is been cleaned and bleached ad nauseam or the inert plastic pots, or the perlite/vermiculite mix?

..I don't know, but until I find out I'm going to add one drop of PH down every 6- 8 hours

Here's The Jug that it came out of which has been sitting for a couple days stll 6.4, I checked it just to be sure I'm not going crazy here lol
20200122 062317

The good news is my seed starting mix is working I've got a Blackberry Bubblegum seedling
20200122 061217
and I got roots on this gorilla glue gunslinger cross that was actually in my last tray,
20200122 060715
the top of it was wilted so I didn't keep it I don't even know if I'm going to put them into flower?

but my point is aside from this pH issue, aside from that right lol! beside the bullet wound how you feeling today Jimmy? right..! forget about it 🤦‍♂️

Need @Aqua Man 🙏🤞🙏

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So from 10 last night to 6 a.m. this morning the pH went up like a rocket again..View attachment 932494

The good news is I took out a variable being the light as that was the dark period. So what else is left?

the tray which is been cleaned and bleached ad nauseam or the inert plastic pots, or the perlite/vermiculite mix?

..I don't know, but until I find out I'm going to add one drop of PH down every 6- 8 hours

Here's The Jug that it came out of which has been sitting for a couple days stll 6.4, I checked it just to be sure I'm not going crazy here lol
View attachment 932495

The good news is my seed starting mix is working I've got a Blackberry Bubblegum seedling View attachment 932496and I got roots on this gorilla glue gunslinger cross that was actually in my last tray,
View attachment 932500 the top of it was wilted so I didn't keep it I don't even know if I'm going to put them into flower?

but my point is aside from this pH issue, aside from that right lol! beside the bullet wound how you feeling today Jimmy? right..! forget about it 🤦‍♂️

Need @Aqua Man 🙏🤞🙏

You showed us the perlite but not the vemiculite. Is there something added to either like miracle grow does?

Bubbling tap water can raise the ph because of calcium carbonate. I have even seen the calcium come out of solution with air stones with my well water.

Just brainstorming trying to help.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

You showed us the perlite but not the vemiculite. Is there something added to either like miracle grow does?

Bubbling tap water can raise the ph because of calcium carbonate. I have even seen the calcium come out of solution with air stones with my well water.

Just brainstorming trying to help.
Thanks appreciate it today I start searching on the net because obviously I'm over my skis on this one!? simplest thing too and I can't figure this one out??

Not Miracle-Gro plus I've been using this bag for 4 years lol

although reading it it gave me a good idea to mix it with the Pro mix instead of the perlite

That way don't have to let it stand in water at all, and I can stop worrying about this foolish thing LOL but I do like the way the perlite is self-watering in the tray

20200122 073450

Edit: next water change I'm going to switch out the tray but all my trays are sanitized, scrubbed and rinsed before use

I'm going to check the pH in 15 minutes and see if it's changed after only 2 hours

Last edited:
Beachwalker

Beachwalker

2 hours and it's up to 7 ..what the hell am I missing here???
20200122 080354

707 I'm clogging your thread so I'm going to take it back to the beach house

if I figure out what it is I'll come back and post it but right now IDK??

@MIMedGrower not bubbling, just pouring 1 pint of 6.4/98ppm in the bottom of a 79° domed tray

These will root eventually,🤞 next tray I'm going to try the Pro mix / vermiculite mix and will turn the heat down to 74° so I don't cook them as quick! 🔥

Last edited:
707finisher

707finisher

Not in my case, don't forget I'm cloning there are no roots yet
They don’t need roots to absorb the minerals, it goes in through the skin and stems, osmosis or whatever idk I just did the research, the clones absorb the acidic minerals because they are using it to form the roots and stay alive. it’s ok I’m done talking about it lol.

707finisher

707finisher

View attachment 932510

@MIMedGrower not bubbling, just pouring 1 pint of 6.4/98ppm in the bottom of a 79° domed tray

These will root eventually,🤞 next tray I'm going to try the Pro mix / vermiculite mix and will turn the heat down to 74° so I don't cook them as quick! 🔥
It will continue to spike quickly if you don’t drop it to 5 ph, It takes 10 times longer to rise at one point lower ph

707finisher

707finisher

It will continue to spike quickly if you don’t drop it to 5 ph, It takes 10 times longer to rise at one point lower ph
I’m changing my water this morning after all the reading. I am goin
View attachment 932510

test your ppm of the water fresh, 90-100, add your ph method, test the ppm again, add your clones in the water, wait till it spikes again and test the ppm, that will show you if they are using the nutrients in the tap water

Top Bottom