A closer look at the UC

• Thread starter QuarterbackMo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Well i just ordered 2 rid volt grounding probes :) $20 a piece from sears online. When they get here we shall see what that does. Truthfully if they work and it was the iron fallout this is a simple but major break for hg users or anybody else in the uc. I swear if i see those leaves turn into silky velvet im about to be :) from ear to ear.

M

medmaneast

Emailed the guys at Botanicare today about the Cal Mag/Mag drive issue this is what they responded with...

"Thank you for your interest in our Cal-Mag product! The claim is that the magnetic coil which causes the impeller in the pump to rotate can cause iron to become trapped inside of the pump. In reality, the water is moving through the pump so fast, and the individual particles of iron are so small that this probably never happens. This statement was put on the bottle just to inform users of the possibility of this happening. I would honestly not be concerned about it, I have used cal mag extensively and never seen any accumulation of iron in the pumps I have taken apart. I hope this answers your question, but if not please feel free to contact us for more information!"

Med

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Emailed the guys at Botanicare today about the Cal Mag/Mag drive issue this is what they responded with...

"Thank you for your interest in our Cal-Mag product! The claim is that the magnetic coil which causes the impeller in the pump to rotate can cause iron to become trapped inside of the pump. In reality, the water is moving through the pump so fast, and the individual particles of iron are so small that this probably never happens. This statement was put on the bottle just to inform users of the possibility of this happening. I would honestly not be concerned about it, I have used cal mag extensively and never seen any accumulation of iron in the pumps I have taken apart. I hope this answers your question, but if not please feel free to contact us for more information!"

Med
Thats a good post +rep after i post this... I have never had an iron issue either then again ive never used a mag drive pump in anything other then the uc either thats why I figured i would give it a shot with the grounding probes. Thats a good post though.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

Med

Also I have been reading a little bit of aquarium literature the reason they use them in fish tanks is due to a stray voltage in the water from the mag drive pump (makes sense being how magnatism induces electricity) i wonder if there is a shadow voltage in the uc from the mag drive? They seem to be testing it with a reagular multi meter. Im gonna pull mine out and find out where they are taking measurments from and see if anything comes up. I honestly dont think im gonna come up with anything here but its still a cool test to try out and should only take a few seconds. Let me see what I can come up with ill be back in a second.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

This is my current grow in the big uc and some of the small uc. As you can see I am having pretty good results I am posting this here instead of my journal so you all can see im not bashing the uc. Also I am saying that even though these look good they could be a bit better the leaf is missing the deep waxy gloss look, it still looks glossy some but I haven't seen the gloss of the rdwc in the uc yet ever which is what I made this thread about. Also I have been thinking about the spotting... the leaf spots usually go away after the first week or so... maybe I should throw some drip lines in to make sure they are staying wet the whole time and eating right even though I do run my water levels pretty high. That is one thing I do in rdwc that I don't do in the uc. I veg and flower in my uc. Anyway heres the big uc at day 1 week 4 bloom...

Bubbaogbig

This one is right under the light I used a black t-shirt I was wearing to try and block the light some its hard to get a good pic if you don't.

Bubbaogstar

This is the small room @ 1 week 3 days from clone... I played around at first with adding just epsom and no calmag and 4ml aqua flakes a&b + mulitzen & roots excel @ 1ml/gallon... needless to say it didn't work I added 3ml calmag per gallon diluted into a gallon of ro water and slowly fed into the epi and it cleared that shit right up they are definitely back on track but its still missing that softness and that shine im looking for...

Bubbaogsmall

Bubbaogsmall2

St3ve

St3ve

You know.. if you're suspecting the magdrive pump as the culprit, just turn it off. Honestly, the airstones put enough oxy in the roots anyway. This would give you something to compare too.

Or else just run whatever size pump you were using in your RDWC to give you the results you like.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

You know.. if you're suspecting the magdrive pump as the culprit, just turn it off. Honestly, the airstones put enough oxy in the roots anyway. This would give you something to compare too.

Or else just run whatever size pump you were using in your RDWC to give you the results you like.

I cant Disconnect the mag drive right now cuz my chiller is ran inline... I ordered grounding probes so if it is the mag drive that should be corrected from that. I still think im gonna add a drip line for the first week or 2 though.

DR.GT

DR.GT

at the beginning of this thread u made it sound like you are having problems that the " uc" is causing.. well by the look of those pics the health look fine and minor aches and pains just happen when trying to dial a "system" to what ever strain you have..just had an image of your plants looking shitty and then i see them and it makes me laugh!! about sums it up.. thats y its a joke.. (to me).. k i know you have been running the "UC" for awhile but that doesnt mean your still not making a simple fixable mistake nutrient wise.. im not bashing you im just sick of people trying to pick the system apart when its not the system! the system has been proven already to run excellent results.. u just need the right mix for that system and strain..

P

phup

View attachment 197512

This is the small room @ 1 week 3 days from clone... I played around at first with adding just epsom and no calmag and 4ml aqua flakes a&b + mulitzen & roots excel @ 1ml/gallon... needless to say it didn't work I added 3ml calmag per gallon diluted into a gallon of ro water and slowly fed into the epi and it cleared that shit right up they are definitely back on track but its still missing that softness and that shine im looking for...

View attachment 197510
View attachment 197511[/QUOTE]

I swear to god you are sneaking into my room and taking pictures of my Bubbas....Mine look good, as do yours, but I can't seem to get that glossy leaf shine I'm looking for. HOWEVER, I have had it once with this same strain in my existing system but unfortunately at the time I was so busy that I wasn't keeping a grow log for those weeks! At least I know its possible and gives credence to the theory that this is simply a nutritional issue.

DR.GT

DR.GT

mo or phup: just wondering ,have u tried magic green? i get a better health/look to them when i use it compared to when i dont..

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

View attachment 197512

View attachment 197510
View attachment 197511

I swear to god you are sneaking into my room and taking pictures of my Bubbas....Mine look good, as do yours, but I can't seem to get that glossy leaf shine I'm looking for. HOWEVER, I have had it once with this same strain in my existing system but unfortunately at the time I was so busy that I wasn't keeping a grow log for those weeks! At least I know its possible and gives credence to the theory that this is simply a nutritional issue.[/QUOTE]
THANK YOU!!! Somebody finally agrees and knows what im talking about!!! Man I have been trying to hit that shine for the last year and a half now it just wont come for some reason. They always look good but never at that pentacle your speaking of. Man thank you again I knew I wasnt crazy lol.

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

mo or phup: just wondering ,have u tried magic green? i get a better health/look to them when i use it compared to when i dont..

Yessir I use mg @ 5ml per gallon every 2 weeks it works great on every plant including the uc plants.

dankworth

dankworth

I swear to god you are sneaking into my room and taking pictures of my Bubbas....Mine look good, as do yours, but I can't seem to get that glossy leaf shine I'm looking for. HOWEVER, I have had it once with this same strain in my existing system but unfortunately at the time I was so busy that I wasn't keeping a grow log for those weeks! At least I know its possible and gives credence to the theory that this is simply a nutritional issue.
THANK YOU!!! Somebody finally agrees and knows what im talking about!!! Man I have been trying to hit that shine for the last year and a half now it just wont come for some reason. They always look good but never at that pentacle your speaking of. Man thank you again I knew I wasnt crazy lol.[/QUOTE]

There is a very specific leaf shine I have been trying to get back for a while.
I copied fatman's 2-2-3 coco formula, and approximated it very closely with AN 3-part and botanicares cal mag. Shine.
Cns-17(2-2-3). No shine.
Cns-17 again. No shine.
Cns-17 has no iron, no micros really.
I am going to look at your pic now I think.
Maybe iron, micros for me.
Magic green got iron?
Iron falls out in solution with airstones or some shit, right? Maybe a wrong and right form of it for dwc?

I want that shine back!

QuarterbackMo

QuarterbackMo

THANK YOU!!! Somebody finally agrees and knows what im talking about!!! Man I have been trying to hit that shine for the last year and a half now it just wont come for some reason. They always look good but never at that pentacle your speaking of. Man thank you again I knew I wasnt crazy lol.

There is a very specific leaf shine I have been trying to get back for a while.
I copied fatman's 2-2-3 coco formula, and approximated it very closely with AN 3-part and botanicares cal mag. Shine.
Cns-17(2-2-3). No shine.
Cns-17 again. No shine.
Cns-17 has no iron, no micros really.
I am going to look at your pic now I think.
Maybe iron, micros for me.
Magic green got iron?
Iron falls out in solution with airstones or some shit, right? Maybe a wrong and right form of it for dwc?

I want that shine back![/QUOTE]

Me too! Botanicare calmag has never did me wrong in hydro yet but on the flip side there might be a chance that it is not sturdy enough for the uc? Maybe a more stable calmag might be needed in the uc? Anybody got any good results with any non botanicare calmag that you would like to share? With me in rdwc it was this...

When I used botanicare pbp... All suppliments on the chart included with zho i believe it was (small liquid bene bottles gold color if i remember right)
Pbp veg+5ml calmag per gallon= partial shine
Pbp bloom+5ml calmag=shine
Pbp soil+5ml calmag=partial shine but more then the veg formula.

With hg...
Veg 4ml aqua a&b with 5ml calmag= super shine and softness + magic green =out of this world healthiest plant ive ever personally laid eyes on shine...
The rest of the cycle just cut back a ml to what the feeding chart says and it will maintain the above health. all hg suppliments + aquashield included.

In the uc...

Using the same recipe as above I have had it close but no cigar thats the closest i ever came... They were shining but it still wasnt all the way.

Every experimental dosage i have tried after that (more calmag, less calmag, no calmag, epsom and calmag, epsom by itself, epsom foliar fed, calmag foliar fed, multizen in veg, no multizen in veg, algen extract, no algen extract, roots excel, no roots excel all at different strengths.) has produced anywhere from no shine and dull to partial shine and soft.

I can say that adding some epsom salts in the start of flower produces some nice looking plants but they are still missing that waxy wet glossy shine all the way through the plant from top to bottom.

Latest posts

Top Bottom