A Month In On 8 Gelato

• Thread starter Shawnery
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dutchcity

Dutchcity

Those are pretty bushy.. maybe you should have defoliated more aggressively...

S

Shawnery

I was thinking they were to brushy and I removed more than half the plant, twice not just once.

Is to late now to defoliate without negatively effecting the outcome of the flowers?

Junk

Junk

I was thinking they were to brushy and I removed more than half the plant, twice not just once.

Is to late now to defoliate without negatively effecting the outcome of the flowers?
Day 21 and day 42 you can defoliate. If possible, do it before lights out. You will have to defoliate aggressively, or you will end up with a ton of larf. Leave 3-5 fans per lead.

S

Shawnery

Day 21 and day 42 you can defoliate. If possible, do it before lights out. You will have to defoliate aggressively, or you will end up with a ton of larf. Leave 3-5 fans per lead.

This is interesting and why is it interesting, because I was told the EXACT opposite during my first grow. Not that I don't believe you because I do. I think different things work for different grows.

I do believe my plants are more than a little full and that certain flowers will pay the price. I just can't believe I still have this many tips with how much I removed. I honestly removed more plant material than most people grow.

Why wait till day 21 why not just do it now? Is the point that by day 21 you will be able to truly see what leaves are causing issues and which ones are not?

Here's a side question,
When does cannabis stop stretching because they are only about 18 inches from reaching the lights and there's no more room to move them. They should be fine unless they more than double in height.

scubascrog

scubascrog

I clip the under right before stretch, I want to keep all the stretch, all that growth, hate to waste it. or just run more 3000k for veg so you dont have to cut many out. and the stretch usually stops 2 1/2 weeks in. usually when I cut N out

Junk

Junk

Why wait till day 21 why not just do it now? Is the point that by day 21 you will be able to truly see what leaves are causing issues and which ones are not?
I've said it a coupe times now, and it @scubascrog mentioned it above...you want them to grow as uninterrupted as possible for the first 3 weeks of flower. Picking at them during those first weeks will slow vertical growth/yield.

You have them in flower for a limited amount of time. You only have 10 weeks or so to get the most out of your plants. You want them to run as fast as possible.

I clip the under right before stretch, I want to keep all the stretch, all that growth, hate to waste it. or just run more 3000k for veg so you dont have to cut many out. and the stretch usually stops 2 1/2 weeks in. usually when I cut N out
You cut the N completely after that point?

scubascrog

scubascrog

I'm gonna be dropping the cal-nit for cacl2 and more MKP and K at 2 weeks

S

Shawnery

I've cut the cal/nit in half already and they look better then they did before I cut it out. I think that was causing my ec to rise but still not 100%.

NHWhites

NHWhites

The idea of 21 and 42 days for defoliating is the end of stretch and the beginning of bulking. Read up in mango tech leaf stripping technique

S

Shawnery

Decided that once again,

Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

It's just being my second real grow and the first being a scrog I'm not super confident removing bud that would be.

First photo are the two of the four I haven't done yet and the second is the upper part of two of the four I just did and the pile on the floor is from the four plants I did.

I got rid of basically every bigger leaf with a red stem, any branches against the tent or less then 2/3rds as tall and any bud sites over a 3rd the distance from the canopy.

20180508 140752
20180508 140758
20180508 140823
Dutchcity

Dutchcity

I've said it a coupe times now, and it @scubascrog mentioned it above...you want them to grow as uninterrupted as possible for the first 3 weeks of flower. Picking at them during those first weeks will slow vertical growth/yield.

You have them in flower for a limited amount of time. You only have 10 weeks or so to get the most out of your plants. You want them to run as fast as possible.

You cut the N completely after that point?
Makes sense. What are your thoughts on growers who completely strip their plants day one into flower?

scubascrog

scubascrog

after the 2 weeks when they are done stretching i usually cut by 50% until they look like they lighten up then adjust a little just to keep em green. its okay for the plants to lose some lower fan leaves to yellowing from N def it just moves it from the bottom of the plant to the top.

Junk

Junk

Decided that once again,

Ain't nothing to it but to do it!

It's just being my second real grow and the first being a scrog I'm not super confident removing bud that would be.

First photo are the two of the four I haven't done yet and the second is the upper part of two of the four I just did and the pile on the floor is from the four plants I did.

I got rid of basically every bigger leaf with a red stem, any branches against the tent or less then 2/3rds as tall and any bud sites over a 3rd the distance from the canopy.
Picture 2 is more or less good. So next time, lollipop before the flip, and wait to do what u just did till day 21, and again on day 42.

That way, all the extra force the plant puts out in these few weeks will be put to maximum use.

Latest posts

Top Bottom