About to get into growing, could use some advice

• Thread starter Tofta
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RGWD0202

Question about lighting: so in the seedling stage, I have my lights all the way up but have power at 60% so at the plant level the ppfd is about 220. Seems to be working, but will it cause any ill effects?
Stretching could occur but if that happens turn the light up or set them on something to bring them closer to the light. From those photos I don’t see them stretching.

cannafarmer420

cannafarmer420

I ♥ fat colas
Supporter
I would like to here why you think so??? Most of the people that I know that grow autos, do it because they know nothing really about growing so with auto they almost plant and forget. While I will never grow autos, I'm curious why you think that it's not for beginners?
You cant make mistakes at all, you can't train really, you are completely limited by the plant genetically. Typically more prone to herm and do weird things. They are a gimmick imo, no benefits , I could just flip a photo period early, no point

Bilber

Bilber

Canna.....the more posts I read of yours, the more I'm loving you......haha.....

But seriously.......autos are more finicky and like canna said, if you screw up in the least possible way, the yield will suffer dramatically......

I just like knowing that I have a little more time to fix an error with photos.....

That, and you can keep the strain going forever if you like the traits that it possesses.....autos are 1 and done, even if that plant is the most phenomenal plant you ever grew or smoked....

I won't knock autos because I kinda grow them also, but photos for the win in my book!

U

upnorthx

I haven’t read all the comments, so maybe you have this covered, but I would sure double check the components they sent with your tent! I bought a 4 x 4 kit from one of the major manufacturers then come to find out halfway through my grow that it has less than half the light recommended, and nonadjustable in-line fan. Seems like they were kind of taking advantage of a newbie, choose is the market that those tent kits are designed for I expect.

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I haven’t read all the comments, so maybe you have this covered, but I would sure double check the components they sent with your tent! I bought a 4 x 4 kit from one of the major manufacturers then come to find out halfway through my grow that it has less than half the light recommended, and nonadjustable in-line fan. Seems like they were kind of taking advantage of a newbie, choose is the market that those tent kits are designed for I expect.
So not for nothing... I run 3 inline fans with out controllers for 20 years... still using same exact inline fans.... the speed controllers will blow your fan within 5 to 7 years

JKash

JKash

Can you out GRAV The Gravmaster???
Supporter
I would like to here why you think so??? Most of the people that I know that grow autos, do it because they know nothing really about growing so with auto they almost plant and forget. While I will never grow autos, I'm curious why you think that it's not for beginners?
Ya autos are definitely not for beginners. It's a myth that beginners should start with autos.... photo period plants are easier to rebound and if you don't know what your doing.... you have little time to rebound them....

S

scotty2hotty

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

Is this adequate for 12 plants?

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance
Growing indoors means replicating mother nature. So many different conditions in which things can go wrong. My best advice is to grow outdoors, dig a hole 5gal bucket size, fill with peat,fox farm,mg or your favorite soil. Start plants indoors, and transplant about 2 weeks later outdoors,after danger of frost or cold weather has passed. Water and feed accordingly. You'll get bigger yields and better weed. I've never used autos. But I do like fees and reg. Tho if 12 is your max, than all female would be a smart move. I'm sure there will be a ton of people who will hate this post. But as an old farmboy I can attest its very hard to beat our SUN. Either way happy growing. Best of luck to you. P.S. a good grow book can help you avoid first time mistakes.

T

tgpeters

There's no rule about how many plants go in how much space. It depends on grow style. My guess is with autos in a first grow, you'll have more than enough room. I'm not a fan of autos for new growers. The fuse is lit when the seed gets wet, and when there are problems, there's no time to fix them before flower.

Hey guys, my state just made it legal for me to grow and was looking for some advice. Primarily looking at this kit to start and plan on getting it this coming Friday https://myhigrow.com/product/myhigrow-4x8-grow-tent-complete-kit-with-roof-grow-tent-4x8-960-watt/

Is this adequate for 12 plants?

Plan on going with autos and have made good use of royal queen seeds holiday sale and have a good mixture of Northern lights, North thunderfuck, blue cheese, fat banana, white widow, watermelon, and triple g on the way.
Lastly has anyone used Coast of Maine soil? Looks like a pretty solid set up and should only need nutrients during the flowering process? Thanks in advance
Hi, I've grown a lot of weed both hydro, and soil. In my state we can only have 4 flowering plants. Due to this, I prefer auto flowers. I can have multiple grow cycles in the same grow tent. Start 4, get them older and start flowering in same room start another batch. You get far more light hours with Auto because you don't need the 12 hour cycle to trigger flower. 6 or more hours of light is like 30% more. You will see greater growth. Sure if you screw up with auto - you don't have much time to fix, generally the yield will be affected yet it will still be strong enough. Also, if you kill an auto, you have only invested a few weeks. Go 6 months into a photo and kill it, it's a far bigger loss. Plant size also becomes a problem with photo, as a longer life = taller plants. That can make a huge difference in a tent.
Two other varieties to consider would be Bruce Banner 3 and Banana Kush. My BB3 produced well over a full 5 gallon bucket (trimmed bud) from 1 auto flower. And it's strong.
Currently, I'm a hydro fan, so that's my preference.

Bilber

Bilber

Hi, I've grown a lot of weed both hydro, and soil. In my state we can only have 4 flowering plants. Due to this, I prefer auto flowers. I can have multiple grow cycles in the same grow tent. Start 4, get them older and start flowering in same room start another batch. You get far more light hours with Auto because you don't need the 12 hour cycle to trigger flower. 6 or more hours of light is like 30% more. You will see greater growth. Sure if you screw up with auto - you don't have much time to fix, generally the yield will be affected yet it will still be strong enough. Also, if you kill an auto, you have only invested a few weeks. Go 6 months into a photo and kill it, it's a far bigger loss. Plant size also becomes a problem with photo, as a longer life = taller plants. That can make a huge difference in a tent.
Two other varieties to consider would be Bruce Banner 3 and Banana Kush. My BB3 produced well over a full 5 gallon bucket (trimmed bud) from 1 auto flower. And it's strong.
As much as I don't like autos, you have such a valid point.......

Your post kinda opened my eyes.......

Awesome way to look at autos that way!

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on autos.......

T

tgpeters

If I had space for two grow tents and different legislation, I would have a different preference. One grow tent would be for a couple female photo's and clone the crap out of them. In the other tent use a sea of green concept with the cuttings and trigger early flowers. But when only 4 can legally flower. SOG is not practical if we stay within the law.

Sunasun

Sunasun

Wait, 80 ounces of weed out of an autoflower? I call bullshit. That's 5 pounds.

T

tgpeters

Wait, 80 ounces of weed out of an autoflower? I call bullshit. That's 5 pounds.
I have photo's. One partial harvest was over a 3 gallon bucket, the two other harvests were over a gallon per harvest. So, don't call BS on me. OK, Maybe it was not purely manicured, sugar leaves remained but it is what it is. That was just the first harvest of 1 mother of a plant. In total it was closer to 6 gallons.

20231104 1913381
Last edited:
LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
In my state, with a license, we can grow as many as 15 plants per year. I doubt I could ever grow that many in a year. I only have room to grow 3 plants at a time.

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
I have photo's. One partial harvest was over a 3 gallon bucket, the two other harvests were over a gallon per harvest. So, don't call BS on me. OK, Maybe it was not purely manicured, sugar leaves remained but it is what it is. That was just the first harvest of 1 mother of a plant. In total it was closer to 6 gallons.
That was grown outside, wasn't it? Yield is usually more for outside growers. I'm curious though, was that 80 ounces weighed wet or dry? I'm only asking because the bud in the bucket looks like it was before drying.

Top Bottom