Acupulco Gold, vegetative, recurring calcium issue

• Thread starter Dr.B
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

No mention of base nute feeding. and adding more lime to pro mix is likely too much.

Calcium is immobile for the most part. Deficiencies show in newer and upper leaves first.

Magnesium is mobile and deficiency shows on lower leaves like the pics here.

However mag is in most nutes and in tap water and the soil so deficiency is usually caused by another factor.

I think possibly watering too often or incorrect fertilizing started it and too much lime is making it worse.

The lime takes a week or two after wetting to activate. Then it keeps working to raise ph.

For me pro mix has been ph stable at about 6.2 consistantly. If i see the runoff ph drift it is because of nute buildup or another factor with the plants.

Dr.B

Dr.B

what was your ph at last feeding?

Where to start... Lol.

Sativa yes, she's from seed, I find that gives me bigger more spread out fans in the first sets.. might account for what you see.

I am just feeling out this strain for the first time, correct.

Ive been growing for about 2 years now with ever increasing success. My last cheese crop came in at around 900g in the meter square I have to flower in.

pH last feeding is 6.5 in, out about 5.8 still a little low on the leech end.

I've gathered she's a sensitive girl lol. My first crop (s) were GG4. Never had a pollen sac or seed in the bud through that but I'm not adding stress until she fills out a bit. 100% ;)

I appreciate your input! I'm going to focus more on the diary side from here.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

aqua

u don't think the calcium pics, better depict his pics?

these two have eons more experience n knowledge so pay no mind to the schizo
and they know ur medium, better, if not the actual strain.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

aqua

u don't think the calcium pics, better depict his pics?

these two have eons more experience n knowledge so pay no mind to the schizo
and they know ur medium, better, if not the actual strain.
Like @MIMedGrower said Ca is not very mobile so all calcium deficiencies will show in the top of the plant first. Mag is mobile so the deficiencies will start at the bottom of the plant. Most often its another factor as he said messing with the availability of the other rather than a true lack of, PH, root health, temps, lighting, humidity, nutrient ratios all have an effect

Dr.B

Dr.B

No mention of base nute feeding. and adding more lime to pro mix is likely too much.

Calcium is immobile for the most part. Deficiencies show in newer and upper leaves first.

Magnesium is mobile and deficiency shows on lower leaves like the pics here.

However mag is in most nutes and in tap water and the soil so deficiency is usually caused by another factor.

I think possibly watering too often or incorrect fertilizing started it and too much lime is making it worse.

The lime takes a week or two after wetting to activate. Then it keeps working to raise ph.

For me pro mix has been ph stable at about 6.2 consistantly. If i see the runoff ph drift it is because of nute buildup or another factor with the plants.

Thanks, I suspect I got an off bag of pro mix, I've never had this issue with it before. Before adding the lime over a week ago my leach was coming out around 4.0 from new substrate... Naturally, I freaked. Lol

Base nutes. pH perfect m/g/b (I know, I'm planning a switch to remo in the fall) 8 ml per gallon/50% strength. That's where that line maxes out for me.

I supplement 4 ml per gallon calmag every feed, and cannazyme 5 ml per gallon. Aside from that. Phytoplankton, 5 ml per gallon once a week in veg, and bio root, 2ml per gallon for transplants only.

Calcium/magnesium uptake are tied together correct? It all goes to pH.

I water with discipline. She dries out completely between, 1.5 liters day one to a 3 gallon pit, 0.5 the following day. Substrate is never fully saturated.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Here is a good chart that shows nutrient interactions but as @MIMedGrower said it can be a lots of things causing it.

View attachment 978815

I'm reasonably satisfied that I treated the problem effectively lol despite my cal/mag confusion. Leaf reading is something I'm just starting to get a knack for.

Am I wrong thinking cal and mag are issues are usually indicating the same, bigger issue? (pH)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I'm reasonably satisfied that I treated the problem effectively lol despite my cal/mag confusion. Leaf reading is something I'm just starting to get a knack for.

Am I wrong thinking cal and mag are issues are usually indicating the same, bigger issue? (pH)
Its a good place to start but changing to much in a short period of time will leave you more questions than answers. I don't think I would have added the lime. I think a feed with enzymes at the time would have helped rebalace the soil. But im not a very experienced soil grower. @MIMedGrower has a lot of experience in it

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Thanks, I suspect I got an off bag of pro mix, I've never had this issue with it before. Before adding the lime over a week ago my leach was coming out around 4.0 from new substrate... Naturally, I freaked. Lol

Base nutes. pH perfect m/g/b (I know, I'm planning a switch to remo in the fall) 8 ml per gallon/50% strength. That's where that line maxes out for me.

I supplement 4 ml per gallon calmag every feed, and cannazyme 5 ml per gallon. Aside from that. Phytoplankton, 5 ml per gallon once a week in veg, and bio root, 2ml per gallon for transplants only.

Calcium/magnesium uptake are tied together correct? It all goes to pH.

I water with discipline. She dries out completely between, 1.5 liters day one to a 3 gallon pit, 0.5 the following day. Substrate is never fully saturated.

Ok. These are my thoughts from this post.

First pro mix is packed dry in the bale. It takes a week or two of tap water to charge and activate the lime before it will read above 6. Thats my experience and it is on pro mix website as well.

50% of base nutes with a full dose of cal mag and the other stuff would certainly be too much for my plants and cause lockout. That is what is happening to your plant in my opinion. Too much nutrients and additives are blocking the roots from uptake. Just excess calcium can cause this.

And no calcium and mag are not related except a proper ratio of 4:1 is recomended for easier uptake.

Now in my opinion it is necessary to saturate the medium to good runoff to be sure no dry voids exist. Then wait til the pot is dry at least 3/4 down before watering to saturation again.

I would flush out with fresh water only until the runoff was clearish and had an ec of no higher than 1.2 and let the plant recover before raising nute strength again.

And i would drop all additives and only feed the base grow nute before loading her up again. Im not a fan of boosters and such. Proper feeding with a complete balanced base nute has always worked well for me.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

First pro mix is packed dry in the bale. It takes a week or two of tap water to charge and activate the lime before it will read above 6. Thats my experience and it is on pro mix website as well.

50% of base nutes with a full dose of cal mag and the other stuff would certainly be too much for my plants and cause lockout. That is what is happening to your plant in my opinion. Too much nutrients and additives are blocking the roots from uptake. Just excess calcium can cause this.

And no calcium and mag are not related except a proper ratio of 4:1 is recomended for easier uptake.

Now in my opinion it is necessary to saturate the medium to good runoff to be sure no dry voids exist. Then wait til the pot is dry at least 3/4 down before watering to saturation again.

I would flush out with fresh water only until the runoff was clearish and had an ec of no higher than 1.2 and let the plant recover before raising nute strength again.

And i would drop all additives and only feed the base grow nute before loading her up again. Im not a fan of boosters and such. Proper feeding with a complete balanced base nute has always worked well for me.
I agree with this. It looks like high Ca. See the lighter growth on the tops? Then look at that chart. High Ca can affect Iron, zink and Mg So that would fit the bill.

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

it can
as u say
but not religiously, imo. the medium can b deficient with ph on the money. i just did an 800ppm flush... because the nutes they wanted, weren't n the mix: they were starving; anorexic.
an off ph, as u see and know- can also lock em out- appearing and being deficient, while still being in the medium, as stated, formerly.

Dr.B

Dr.B

Ok, that fits where I'm at on pro mix. However this bag did seem more on the acidic side. I water and treat my substrate about a week before planting in it... That shouldn't give me too much of an issue....

The nutes. I hate pH perfect. Let me start there lol. I bought way too much, way back. I'm just running through it all before I switch. I've had it up to 75% strength. Bad! Lock out, lock out, lock out. In the last two crops I've dialed it back to 50%. Without added lime that will lock me out in week 6 of bloom, this run will be the first with lime in the mix from the get go... That being said, additives, watering style and all I'm hitting about 2 pounds per meter squared in my space... With a lockout in week 6...

I flush when I see problems and for two weeks prior to harvest... I did flush immediately, water only, for a week after the problem manifested and after adding a tblspn of lime to the small nursery pot.

Still convinced I'm on top of this lol I'll dial it down to base nutes and cannazyme until she moves to flower. ;)

Thank you!

SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

it didn't occur to me, besides cmag... that i could actually read tea leaves, until i lost the heart to grow and just embraced neglect...
long story. the difference in the pics...
tbh
i dunno that anyone in the room knows i can actually grow a secksy teepee. my heart just isn't in it. shockingly, the outcome is double to triple the pretty garden pics and no shortage of strength/potency.

Screenshot 20200528 081430 Photos
Screenshot 20200528 081443 Photos
20200528 054427
20200528 054502
Dr.B

Dr.B

This is what my current nutes are getting me. This was the plant that locked out mid week 6, despite my efforts she matured at a faster rate than the rest. 126 grams dry from that plant, nice bud.

...Its the best I've done yet lol

IMG 20200528 073821
SPARECHANGE

SPARECHANGE

2-3 lessons, here, too... friggin pot guru/genius. if ur mind- n memory was a purchasable book...
always, when med says something- collective knowledge from experience n varied... u know, med- u should write a pot book. u have a wealth of knowledge- i haven't read, anywhere- more obscure, relative shyt, all in one place, i have heard, nowhere else and u know it ain't for my lack of studying and I'd know if they were things I'd read/seen and just forgotten- it ain't stuff I've forgotten. like aquas chart- it's new/news to me. man i appreciate the poopoo outta u and ur mind n instincts.
btw... the mod can reclassify this, to a journal and i can try to delete this morning ms freakout n smmoth it over if I'm able, for my part. i don't believe u ruined ur thread, at all... i did... I'll get started on janitorial duties, straight away, just n case.

Top Bottom