Adding Carbs To Your Grow

• Thread starter lazarus718
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
lazarus718

lazarus718

Thanks for starting this thread, I have a related question, hope you don't mind if I post it up in here as I think you might be interested as well.

Hey, I appreciate the politeness bro...I have absolutely no problem with you introducing some of your own questions to the thread, it's exactly what I intended on when I started it. More info, more good bud.

lazarus718

lazarus718

Thx for the awesome responses guys...Detroit, I was wondering if corn syrup would be a good option, in the military we had that Karo stuff all over the place and I thought about using that because it does have such a neutral flavor to it. Might have to give it a go this one.

lazarus718

lazarus718

They now have a neutral flavor Sweet product, which I have not tried yet, if you want to try an organic source of unflavored carbs.

Yeah, I saw that new product too, it is supposed to not introduce any outside flavors to the grow so I was thinking about giving it a run. But the corn syrup idea Detroit presented also seems enticing because that Karo syrup is like $5 a bottle versus the $20 or so for the Sweet.

Smoking Gun

Smoking Gun

Yeah, I saw that new product too, it is supposed to not introduce any outside flavors to the grow so I was thinking about giving it a run. But the corn syrup idea Detroit presented also seems enticing because that Karo syrup is like $5 a bottle versus the $20 or so for the Sweet.

I totally understand growing on a budget, I have been there too. I will say this, I did try molasses once and felt the Sweet gave a better final result. But again that is simply my opinion, others may disagree with me, and it could again be the slight differences in growing techniques. So my best suggestion is try what you will, and you can always try something different on the next round. I have always been a fan of trying new things and seeing what works.

Ohiofarmer

Ohiofarmer

:)I've used aunt Jamima's syrup before and it actaully worked, made the sap in the plant taste maplely haha take it easy guys

2DogWalker

Ohio,

Aunt Jamimas is probably actually better described as a corn syrup like Dr. Detroit was talking about rather than real maple syrup...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maple_syrup

My Grandfather rolled over in his grave on your comparison....lol Thanks for the info tho brah.

2Dog

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I miss the mitten sometimes. I could use some real sap whiskey...

U

username09

great thread laz. i've got a few questions of my own to ask about this if you dont mind. if you'd like i'll start my own thread. just say so and i'll do it.

i'm currently doing my first hempi grow in 100% perlite. right now i'm just doing some bagseed clones and they're in their 4th week of flower. i clipped the lower bud sites as suggested by a few people on here and dried them and gave them a try last nite. taste isn't anything to talk about. i've always thought about something to enhance flavor and would really love to try something that did this. an outside source is going to be needed because of the bland natural taste it has. a berry or sweet flavor would be great. just something nice ya know. in about week 6 i'm gonna flush the plants and would like to give carbs a go. would really love to fatten the buds and enhance the taste to something nice. i've read this thread and Bud Candy looks promising but, i wanna make sure i get something i can use while doing this hempi grow and for future hydro/hempi grows.

i'd love some input on this and would really like to get something ordered so it'll be here for the flushing. thank you to all who have read my post.

dextr0

dextr0

A few points to consider:

It very much is possible to overload on carbohydrates. Sugaring the earth will kill just as efficiently as salting the earth will. Besides, anything given at too high a dose will dominate the subtle flavors of the plant's natural terpenes.

Plants use starches to chemically store excess glucose, which they then also consume during mitochondrial oxidative phosphorylation. Unfortunately they are not water soluble, so adding them to your grow isn't possible or useful.

If adding sugars it's best to add the purest natural complex carbohydrate that you can get. Simple sugars like fructose still would need to be processed further by the plant before consumption into a complex carb. I'd only recommend using maple syrup if you happen to love smoking pancakes, because the maple tree produces its' own terpenes and those will mask any natural expression of scent that your plants will have.

I'm actually experimenting with organic flavoring in my flushes at the moment. I have a contact in Mumbai that's obsessed with made-to-order flavored buds, and he owns a business that supplys such additives. That's the best thing about working with Ruderalis hybrids; with nine weeks from seed to harvest there's a much quicker turnover time, which makes experimentation much more practical. Who wouldn't want a nice banana kush that actually tastes like a banana?

A Dr. D, I have a question if you dont mind. Where did u get that plants absorb complex sugars? To my understanding if they take in any sugars its simple sugars, which they do not do much of.

dextr0

dextr0

Expert Eye: Carbohydrates and Amino Acid Products
By Urban Garden Magazine ⋅ July 12, 2010 ⋅

What’s the big deal with carbohydrate and amino acid products these days? Are they being used or misused by growers? We asked Steve Berlow, a research consultant for Florigen Laboratories in BC, Canada to give us his insider perspective on the rise of carbohydrate and amino acid based products in the marketplace in recent years…

The hydroponics and indoor gardening industry is rapidly changing and evolving. Recently the pace of that change has become quite staggering with new products seeming to appear almost daily – nowhere is this more prominent than in the field of plant nutrition. In the last few years the hydroponic nutrient market has progressed from offering base nutrients and some phosphorus flowering boosters through to today’s market where a staggering (some might say ‘bewildering’) array of new technologies and theories are promoted.
Two product types that have been causing a lot of chatter in the growing community are carbohydrate (sugar) supplements and amino acid based additives. And for good reason. Sugars and amino acids are both interesting concepts in the context of plant nutrition and many experts consider them to be on the cutting edge. All sounds pretty exciting doesn’t it? But before you rush off and buy that next fancy-labelled bottle of sugary or amino acid goodness, you really should get your head around some basic facts concerning these substances and the ability of plants to make use of them.
Carbohydrates – Are They Really ‘Candy’ For Your Plants?

You’ve probably heard the hype about carbs: “Feed your plants supplemental carbs and turn them into Olympic Gold Medal winners!”
So a grower walks into their local store, decides to buy a big bottle of some sugary carb supplement, with the intention of deploying it on his next res change. The notion is that the plants will suck up the carbs and get a boost of ‘pure energy’ without having to go through the hassle of producing them as a product of photosynthesis.
Errrr, sorry to spoil the big carb party, but it’s not actually that straight forward. The carbohydrate supplement is definitely a case where theory got ahead of practice. In theory providing your plants with an array of simple and complex carbohydrates seems like a great idea. We all know that plants, driven by light energy and photosynthesis, produce sugar and starch. The plant uses this for growth and development. So the theory goes – if we supplement our nutrient solution with those very same sugars and starches, then the plant won’t have to make them all for itself and can therefore devote its energy to other things – such as making big flowers and fruits! Alternatively, if the plant is undergoing a period of physical stress (such as flowering or fruiting) then the supplementation of those sugars and starches will enable the plant to grow and develop at warp speed as we have removed a limiting factor. Unfortunately all this seems feasible in a text book but, as usual, these things are rarely as simple in real life.
Why not? Well, put simply, it’s one thing to supplement a plant with carbs in a lab, quite another to do so in vivo (real life – real situation.) You can inject carbs directly into a stem or a leaf, for instance, using laboratory techniques, but surely the crunch question is: can a plant uptake carbohydrates through its roots? I have been involved in research that aimed to determine whether plants could actually uptake and utilize carbohydrates and, if so, what could they uptake and utilize. Carbohydrates range in size from very small, simple structures like glucose or fructose through to enormously large, complex molecules like polysaccharides. So – did I find that plants could uptake simple and complex carbohydrates? Other than some very simple, and small carbohydrates (e.g. plain table sugar or fructose / glucose) plants essentially cannot take up other more complex carbohydrates through their root zone. Why? It’s because of a unique little barrier in the roots called the Casparian strip – complete with his sidekick the endodermis. Essentially the Casparian strip forces everything, and that includes carbohydrates, through the endodermis to be actively selected or rejected for uptake.
Ready For The Science Bit? Introducing The Casparian Strip – Your Plant’s Very Own Homeland Security!

UG_2010-05_CasparianStrip_fInside the roots of your plants sits a very innocuous and extremely important band of cells – called the Casparian Strip. I like to think of this as a sort of “security guard” for your plant. It is used to block the passive flow of materials ( travelling between the cells), such as water and solutes into the main water carrying columns of the plant – the xylem and phloem. By doing this it forces everything to actively pass through or be rejected by the endodermis. Once within the epidermis, water passes through the cortex, mainly traveling between the cells. However, in order to enter the stele, it must pass through the cytoplasm of the cells of the endodermis. Once within the stele, water is free again to move between cells as well as through them. For solutes to pass through the endodermis they must be in inorganic, ionic form to be transported across to the stele. As you can see getting water and nutrients inside your plants is no easy process!
An interesting side note for people who grow with organic nutrients.
When you hear of the virtues of organic fertilizers, remember that such materials are unable to meet any nutritional needs of the plant until they have been degraded / converted into inorganic forms. Organic matter does play an important role in making good soil texture and rhizosphere health, but it can only meet the nutritional needs of the plant to the extent that it can yield inorganic ions. Once within the epidermis, only the inorganic ions pass inward from cell to cell.
Amino Acid supplements and supplementation – possible or possibilities?

Okay, after that bombshell, let’s take a look at Amino Acids. These are fascinating little things, these miniature building blocks of protein – body builders love them and, according to many growers, plants do too. So what roles do amino acids play in plant nutrition?
Table 1 shows the 21 Proteinogenic Amino Acids

Table 1 shows the 21 Proteinogenic Amino Acids

There are total of 21 Amino Acids used in the production of protein and you’ve probably seen most of them listed on the back of a bottle by now. They are known as Proteinogenic Amino Acids

Every chemical reaction or process that goes on inside a plant relies on protein. From photosynthesis through to hormone production, growth and development, stress – proteins are used by the plant for every aspect of its life, so we can see that amino acids are very important in the big scheme of things.
This importance has not escaped the attention of researchers or manufacturers of plant nutrients and additives. We are now seeing quite a few emerging products that contain these essential building blocks of life. One area being examined by both researchers and manufacturers are amino acids that are direct precursors to hormones. Tryptophan is one popular amino acid being researched as it is the direct precursor to IAA - a powerful growth hormone. Arginine is one of the precursors for cytokinins and is a major player in the production of flowers and fruits on a biochemical level. Other exciting roles of amino acids include their part in mitigating plant stress. Proline is produced by the plant in huge quantities during times of stress to assist with osmotic balance and to maintain a positive water status.
Amino acids are also used as a source of nitrogen in the root zone as they are delaminated by rhizosphere bacteria and fungi. The bacteria feed on the amino acids and in return nitrogen, in the form of ammonia, is released which can be absorbed by the plant. Ammonia is very rapidly absorbed and utilized by the plant and, in small quantities, is very beneficial to the support of rapid growth and development.
A new and very exciting and emerging area of amino acid research, and one that I am very actively involved in, is the role played by accumulated amino acids. In plants, the roles of accumulated amino acids varies from acting as an osmolyte, the regulation of ion transport, modulating stomatal opening, and detoxification of heavy metals. Amino acids also affect the synthesis and activity of enzymes, and most excitingly of all play a major role in gene expression!
So it’s readily apparent why plant nutrient manufacturers would be interested in the humble amino acid – they could be very useful to growers! As useful as might be, amino acids are also commonly misunderstood – just like the carbohydrates we looked at earlier. Once again theory is getting way in front of reality.
As with carbohydrates no one really looked at whether plants can take actively up amino acids through their roots. A major focus of my research is examining how or if plants can take up amino acids via their roots. One method is to feed plants a solution of radioactively labelled amino acids and then take special x-rays of the whole plant 24 hours later. You can actually visualize the extent of the amino acid uptake. In all of the experiments I’ve been involved in, almost none of the amino acid solution fed to the plants had been absorbed by the roots and transported to the leaves. So what’s at play here? Once again it’s the role of the Capsarian strip and endodermis coming into play and excluding the uptake of almost all of the amino acid solution fed to the plants. Amino acid supplementation does work to a minor extent – as some, but very few, of those root fed amino acids are absorbed by the plant. The exciting thing is that even that tiny amount that is absorbed positively affects the growth and development of plants.
So what did we learn?

Only simple sugars are absorbed by the plant root system. And only a very small amount of any amino acids supplied will ever be taken up by your plant’s root system. So what does that mean? Are carboyhydrate and amino acid producs a waste of your time? No – not exactly. Even when a small amount of amino acids are absorbed by the plant, we can get some positive effects. The simple sugars in your carbohydrate products do get absorbed. Others form a good source of food for beneficial bacteria in your root zone. So there are some benefits from using these types of products – just probably not to the degree that some of us may have hoped.
Feeding your plants carbohydrate and amino supplements is not a waste of your time or money – in fact many of those simple and complex carbohydrates serve as food for the friendly bacteria and fungi in your root zone. But don’t forget that your plant’s roots constantly exude simple and complex, carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins into the rhizospere and that those exudates serve as food and growth promoting compounds for many of the beneficial bacteria, fungi and micro organisms present in your plant’s rhizoshpere.
Root exudates are commonly divided into two classes. Low-molecular weight compounds – such as amino acids, organic acids, sugars, and other secondary metabolites and high molecular weight exudates – such as mucilage (polysaccharides or complex carbs) and proteins. The rhizospheric bacteria and fungi return the favor, in a symbiotic relationship, by breaking down complex products in the rhizosphere into ionic forms the plant can absorb as well as excreting protein and secondary signalling molecules of their own that benefit the plant by increasing its rate of growth and development.
In fact, much or all of the apparent success of carbohydrate and amino acids products are due to this inadvertent power feeding of your root zone friendlies and the symbiotic benefits they return to your plants.
http://urbangardenmagazine.com/2010/07/expert-eye-carbohydrates-and-amino-acid-products/

lazarus718

lazarus718

great thread laz. i've got a few questions of my own to ask about this if you dont mind. if you'd like i'll start my own thread. just say so and i'll do it.

Nah, keep it posting here bro...that's what the thread is for. I didn't have a general question when I started it, just noticed that the thread wasn't out there and thought I would provoke some thoughts. Thanks for the input and the compliment!

lazarus718

lazarus718

Thx for that post dextr0, that's exactly what I was trying to get at...just wondering if all the hype is worth it????

dextr0

dextr0

I wonder too, thats why I posted that. Thats the impression I was under, but if someone can refute it with some good back up info I would love to see it.

bloads

bloads

So Botanicare's Sweet will make your berry weed taste more berry, you guys are saying. Maple syrup will introduce a maple flavor is what I'm reading too.

Any idea on what would enhance the fuely flavor of OG's?

Dr. Detroit

Dr. Detroit

I wonder too, thats why I posted that. Thats the impression I was under, but if someone can refute it with some good back up info I would love to see it.

Didn't want to quote that whole thing man. Interesting, though he neglected symbiosis in his analysis from what I read. Could be mistaken though, I have to run soon so I'm in a rush.

Here's a link to a mycorrhizal symbiosis book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qL...&resnum=3&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I couldn't find anything online directly tying them together, but the symbiotic relationship between the roots and the mycorrhiza enable the uptake of the carbohydrates in my technique. Basically the myco's are allowed free passage through the casparian strip, and they can bring any luggage that they want through with them. Fungal penetration is uninhibited, and the fungi are what immediately begin digesting the carbs.

I do only do this during the final stages of flowering for a reason, though. It's damaging to apply sugars to any root zone. If not for the market demand then I probably wouldn't use carbs at all, but the people want their candy...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Reading Teaming With Microbes I am still wondering why cannabis growers are focused on mycos instead of nitrifying bacteria. I'm seriously considering getting back into aquatics with some goldfish (my husband's gonna love that.. hehheh...) so I can try dosing the cannabis with NO3-laden water.
So Botanicare's Sweet will make your berry weed taste more berry, you guys are saying. Maple syrup will introduce a maple flavor is what I'm reading too.

You mean make them taste *more* fuelly? Ew. I'm sorry, I ran a SFV OG Kush cross this last year and after a couple months cure she's finally rid of the fuelliness and has a lovely lemoniness that I really, really like. The fuel taste and smell she had early on, that first month in, I hated. I let a bunch of cuts I'd taken go because of it, now I'm glad I saved ONE.

dextr0

dextr0

Didn't want to quote that whole thing man. Interesting, though he neglected symbiosis in his analysis from what I read. Could be mistaken though, I have to run soon so I'm in a rush.

Here's a link to a mycorrhizal symbiosis book:

http://books.google.com/books?id=qL...&resnum=3&ved=0CB8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q&f=false

I couldn't find anything online directly tying them together, but the symbiotic relationship between the roots and the mycorrhiza enable the uptake of the carbohydrates in my technique. Basically the myco's are allowed free passage through the casparian strip, and they can bring any luggage that they want through with them. Fungal penetration is uninhibited, and the fungi are what immediately begin digesting the carbs.

I do only do this during the final stages of flowering for a reason, though. It's damaging to apply sugars to any root zone. If not for the market demand then I probably wouldn't use carbs at all, but the people want their candy...

Yea he went on to say: "Are carboyhydrate and amino acid producs a waste of your time? No – not exactly. Even when a small amount of amino acids are absorbed by the plant, we can get some positive effects. The simple sugars in your carbohydrate products do get absorbed. Others form a good source of food for beneficial bacteria in your root zone. So there are some benefits from using these types of products – just probably not to the degree that some of us may have hoped.
Feeding your plants carbohydrate and amino supplements is not a waste of your time or money – in fact many of those simple and complex carbohydrates serve as food for the friendly bacteria and fungi in your root zone. But don’t forget that your plant’s roots constantly exude simple and complex, carbohydrates, amino acids and proteins into the rhizospere and that those exudates serve as food and growth promoting compounds for many of the beneficial bacteria, fungi and micro organisms present in your plant’s rhizoshpere.
Root exudates are commonly divided into two classes. Low-molecular weight compounds – such as amino acids, organic acids, sugars, and other secondary metabolites and high molecular weight exudates – such as mucilage (polysaccharides or complex carbs) and proteins. The rhizospheric bacteria and fungi return the favor, in a symbiotic relationship, by breaking down complex products in the rhizosphere into ionic forms the plant can absorb as well as excreting protein and secondary signalling molecules of their own that benefit the plant by increasing its rate of growth and development.
In fact, much or all of the apparent success of carbohydrate and amino acids products are due to this inadvertent power feeding of your root zone friendlies and the symbiotic benefits they return to your plants."

I should have highlighted it too, sorry.

I actually agree with feeding carbs. The soil, and organisms.

dextr0

dextr0

Bloads I would look into terpenes and what produces that flavor. Thiol which is the skunk smell is enhanced by sulfur if I remember correctly. Anyway terpenes and what make them is what u wanna know.

Edit: I know that has to do with aromatics but terpenes determine taste also.

G

greenfein209

2Dog, it's worth a try, however, I personally don't care for maple flavor and would be very disappointed if I ended up with maple-flavored weed.

I have used and use molasses, malted barley extract (used for brewing) and the cone sugar sold in Hispanic markets, out here it's sold as panela or pinocha, but it could also be called piloncillo. Date and palm sugars also interest me, but they're not easy to find where I am. I'm considering giving table sugar a try, along with the xylitol we picked up for yet another experiment (xylitol is a sugar alcohol, similar to what's found in fruits, IIRC).

Any kind of alchohol is very bad for plants!:confused0054:

Latest posts

Top Bottom