Alibaba and LED lights

• Thread starter 1Dobo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry..I do not agree.

Until they have been tested to last as long as advertised no one should be reccomending them. Particularly the knock off companies.

Also misinformation being passed on of degradation, failure rates and exaggerated lifespan. All my links that kept me away from over priced under tested led lamps were in my old phone. But the info is out there. Avoid the weed forums.

Even Hlg has only now had a board for 5 years. Bet they dont have a test showing the negatives. But a real lighting company would. You cant sell a maintenance manager new lighting for his company without this standard information.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm not getting into a pissing match with you and I do like you...
But you have a problem with this company.............................. you don't own any and this op asked about this Company..............................................
Give it a Brake.................. Fuck..........................

I can buy a light blub for your lights and it can go out in a day or a week or a month and etc...... same with a Driver.............................................
this is like Chey and Ford........................

Love you but dam.........................>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I have never had a failure yet with a hortilux hid bulb.

And if you read my posts i dont trust any of these mostly untested lamps. And everyone should know about the practices at the chinese mega factories.

If you dont want to argue try discussing instead. But please stop recommending expensive grow lighting you only have used for less than one cycle.

It is not a brand discussion. Im not recomending any boards. They make little sense to me for a grow light. If you have a few diodes go out you get to live with it or replace the whole thing.

Individual cobs spaced out properly make more sense to me as an upgrade to hid.

1Dobo

1Dobo

Alright, what's your budget like?

Well, I guess that depends on the lighting. All I can say is I buy 30 clones at $40 each every 4 months or so. So at a maximum, I spend $1,200 a pop. The whole exercise for me is to stop buying clones and to be able to grow my own to about a 30 inch tall plant... then transplant outdoors. I've got a 5X6 room to do this in, and would like to get a lighting setup that I can turn clones to that size every 3-4 months. So budget wise, $1,200 or so or even double that. But with that said, I'm not into spending more money than I need too.... I just don't know what is good, and what will do the job at a decent price.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

And if you read my posts i dont trust any of these mostly untested lamps. And everyone should know about the practices at the chinese mega factories.

If you dont want to argue try discussing instead. But please stop recommending expensive grow lighting you only have used for less than one cycle.

It is not a brand discussion. Im not recomending any boards. They make little sense to me for a grow light. If you have a few diodes go out you get to live with it or replace the whole thing.

yea sorry man your in the Stone Age with that thinking. The Samsung tech is tested. It’s proved, wejust upgraded our biopharm site with the same diodes, different spectrum but same diodes. They did this because in the clean cores they can’t be having bulbs changed. Further there are numerous real studies showing the benefits of these over traditional HID lighting. They are the future. Every thing you have said to the negative I haven’t seen, no one I know has had a single issue with the quantum boards , and while we have stayed with more HLG products mainly due to service but also because they started producing288 boards in theUS. You want to talk about bulb issues, traditional HID lighting has them like crazy. You want to talk efficiency, ability to adjust Intensify with no spectrum swing (you throwing off light that’s not the ideal advertised spectrum if your dimming yours) it’s proven to kill. as far as long term reliability well I have punished some of these with over max power, ran for over a year with only power outages to given them a rest. No issues. I have sprayed and slipped and nailed the boards- no issues but not advisable. All my power supplies are located remotely and have nothing to do with the boards when your taking about reliability- un related manufacturer- but again the ones I’m running will run for many years with no issues - they are tried and true

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

And to sum things up ..If people ask..I will continue to recommend Kingbrite w/ Samsung diodes (and their COBs too). It is up to the reader what to buy in the long run.
In five years, who knows what tech will be out there.

We stopped rubbing 2 sticks together to make fire, a loooooong time ago, and I am quite pleased at what those Kingbrite lights have done in my own gardens.
DONE!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

yea sorry man your in the Stone Age with that thinking. The Samsung tech is tested. It’s proved, wejust upgraded our biopharm site with the same diodes, different spectrum but same diodes. They did this because in the clean cores they can’t be having bulbs changed. Further there are numerous real studies showing the benefits of these over traditional HID lighting. They are the future. Every thing you have said to the negative I haven’t seen, no one I know has had a single issue with the quantum boards , and while we have stayed with more HLG products mainly due to service but also because they started producing288 boards in theUS. You want to talk about bulb issues, traditional HID lighting has them like crazy. You want to talk efficiency, ability to adjust Intensify with no spectrum swing (you throwing off light that’s not the ideal advertised spectrum if your dimming yours) it’s proven to kill. as far as long term reliability well I have punished some of these with over max power, ran for over a year with only power outages to given them a rest. No issues. I have sprayed and slipped and nailed the boards- no issues but not advisable. All my power supplies are located remotely and have nothing to do with the boards when your taking about reliability- un related manufacturer- but again the ones I’m running will run for many years with no issues - they are tried and true

Yeah i dont dim bulbs i put in the correct wattage if i want less. And i agree that led is the future. But in 5 years of replacement bulbs using the same ballast and reflector i still havent paid enough to cover an hlg lamp to do the same job.

Would you trust chinese knock off builds?

And hlg posts constantly helping their customers with failures. They handle it well but there are many posts on their threads.

And even before they built boards here they had them built to specific specs and layouts. I have followed them from the beginning.

Also all the commercial grows i have seen or know still use de hps. Proving led is not cost effective as a replacement yet like i feel.
When cost is reasonable i will switch. I know i can use equal wattage and up my yield. So if it was priced anywhere near what i feel is reasonable i would buy.

Not a chinese company build though. They could spec anything and label it anything. And they do in every industry they are in.

Safer to do business with a company we know and trust. Even if built in the same factory the specs will be what the company paid for. Like hlg did at first.

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

Yeah i dont dim bulbs i put in the correct wattage if i want less. And i agree that led is the future. But in 5 years of replacement bulbs using the same ballast and reflector i still havent paid enough to cover an hlg lamp to do the same job.

Would you trust chinese knock off builds?

And hlg posts constantly helping their customers with failures. They handle it well but there are many posts on their threads.

And even before they built boards here they had them built to specific specs and layouts. I have followed them from the beginning.

Also all the commercial grows i have seen or know still use de hps. Proving led is not cost effective as a replacement yet like i feel.
When cost is reasonable i will switch. I know i can use equal wattage and up my yield. So if it was priced anywhere near what i feel is reasonable i would buy.

Not a chinese company build though. They could spec anything and label it anything. And they do in every industry they are in.

Safer to do business with a company we know and trust. Even if built in the same factory the specs will be what the company paid for. Like hlg did at first.
You have alot of waking up to do regarding the ethics of many USA companys (yep..the same ones that also do business from China!)

This one cost LIVES!

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You have alot of waking up to do regarding the ethics of many USA companys (yep..the same ones that also do business from China!)

I said know and trust. And i didnt say american. I managed car dealerships a long time. I have worked with many venders over the years from all over.

Car parts is a good subject for you to research regarding the counterfeiting done from china.

Would you trust a half price alternator for your car?

And a few you tube vids doesnt show the mass commercial market. Just like the few experiences we here about in a discussion forum.

And again. I dont care what you buy. But all opinions and facts should be discussed on a discussion forum.

And no led board buyer can vouch for the hours the manufacturer states the light will work. You havent had any long enough to justify main benefit.

See if a bulb ever did fail in my garden i can reach in a drawer and grab another one.

How long are you down for if your chinese bought board fails?

Pros and cons brother. Both should be discussed or you are just a shill.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I said know and trust. And i didnt say american. I managed car dealerships a long time. I have worked with many venders over the years from all over.

Car parts is a good subject for you to research regarding the counterfeiting done from china.

And a few you tube vids doesnt show the mass commercial market. Just like the few experiences we here about in a discussion forum.

And again. I dont care what you buy. But all opinions and facts should be discussed on a discussion forum.

And no led board buyer can vouch for the hours the manufacturer states the light will work. You havent had any long enough to justify main benefit.

See if a bulb ever did fail in my garden i can reach in a drawer and grab another one.

I have half a dozen 132 boards on the shelf if one ever did have issues...... I had the same thoughts and 4 for 150$ isn’t too bad to hold onto

Buzzer777

Buzzer777

This is a waste of time...I am no shill and do not take kindly to being insulted. Use what you want and so will I..I will also continue to recommend Kingbrite until something concrete (not banter) tells me not to..

I Will never be down due to light failure..I own enough spare panels and drivers to survive almost anything.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I have half a dozen 132 boards on the shelf if one ever did have issues...... I had the same thoughts and 4 for 150$ isn’t too bad to hold onto

I figured you would have spares. Spare drivers i hope too.

I am small. But i cant shut down either.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

This is a waste of time...I am no shill and do not take kindly to being insulted. Use what you want and so will I..I will also continue to recommend Kingbrite until something concrete (not banter) tells me not to..

I Will never be down due to light failure..I own enough spare panels and drivers to survive almost anything.

I didn't insult you. I said if you dont discuss the cons....

But you wont even entertain them. Thats an emotional decision. And it is what i am trying to get new growers not to make. Thats what the sellers want you to do.

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

I never had a failure with horti hid bulbs either, but replacing them every 6 months adds up quick when their output drops by up to 20% in that short amount of time. It was a no brainer for me to try led. I first tried cobs but did not care for the spread of light. Switched to HLG QB's and could not be happier with their spread of light and penetration for a grow light. No issues for over 2+ yrs with them. "IF" a few diodes were to burn out, I could replace the board for less than what I pay for a HID bulb in a matter of minutes. You mention running hid for 5 yrs, that would have been 10 new hid bulbs for me, not to mention saving on cooling costs and power savings. These all add up quick.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I never had a failure with horti hid bulbs either, but replacing them every 6 months adds up quick when their output drops by up to 20% in that short amount of time. It was a no brainer for me to try led. I first tried cobs but did not care for the spread of light. Switched to HLG QB's and could not be happier with their spread of light and penetration for a grow light. No issues for over 2+ yrs with them. "IF" a few diodes were to burn out, I could replace the board for less than what I pay for a HID bulb in a matter of minutes. You mention running hid for 5 yrs, that would have been 10 new hid bulbs for me, not to mention saving on cooling costs and power savings. These all add up quick.

I go 9-10 months with bulbs before i see any degradation of health or yield. After that its pretty obvious.

And i get the pros. Now you guys have me rebuilding lights to keep going. Con.

I am surprised you feel boards have a better spread than cobs (or strips). That makes no sense to me.

Mr.jiujitsu

Mr.jiujitsu

I go 9-10 months with bulbs before i see any degradation of health or yield. After that its pretty obvious.

I am surprised you feel boards have a better spread than cobs (or strips). That makes no sense to me.

more individual sources spread over a more even canopy means ideal penetration or at least that’s what she said

Rootbound

Rootbound

Supporter

You dont have to rebuild a light to replace a board. Like I said, maybe 10 minutes if I ever need to replace one.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

You dont have to rebuild a light to replace a board. Like I said, maybe 10 minutes if I ever need to replace one.

Arent they screwed into a frame and wired up? I guess its still easy enough.

And i only pay $60 for my bulbs. Not going to cover a board. I have no interest in the low power boards. I will need heat sinks.

Top Bottom