ALL CRITICS WELCOMED .. I NEED HELP

• Thread starter CurtisBlow916
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Both.. I’m going tomorrow to grab coco coir and I’ll grab fabric pots when I do .. the reason I went away from fabric pots because somebody recommended plastics based on durability and longevity of use. With that being said I would like to see the difference throughout grow myself so this should be interesting..

Something like:
2 soil in fabric pots
2 coco coir in fabric pots
2 soin plastic pots
2 coco coir in plastic pots
(Everything labeled of course)

Im not looking to hit a home run on my first go around I’m really just looking to learn ALOT from this first grow, hence the reason why I’m trying so many different things. If I don’t do it this way then the next grow will be a complete coco grow and this one will be complete soil grow.
You will learn that fabric pots allow the root zone to breathe and remain healthier.
I don't know who doesn't like fabric pots. I hope they have air pots at least.
I think you are taking on too much at first. Just one type of grow can be maddening, 4 at once? I need acreage.

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

You will learn that fabric pots allow the root zone to breathe and remain healthier.

Sounds interesting, so I should definitely do a root comparison after all is said and done then.

iX_Lazy_Xi

iX_Lazy_Xi

Its easier to transplant using a plastic container. Use razor blade to cut slits down sides of plastic pot to help air out better, then final transplant use fabric

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

Gravity fed watering system using something like a toilet float logic to keep the level of water right to keep the bottom of the coco wet. You can't top feed plants or use nutes that will gum up the water lines. A single reservoir only gives the option of one level and type of nutes at a time. The water reservoir sits about 18 inches off the ground and you can fill up water for week and just check that the water is still flowing though. Low maintenance for coco. There are a couple different size of pots (3 and 5 gallon) and you can add more pots when you want. I'm running 4 plants off a single res so I don't know how much water each plant uses, just when they all need more.

I've used the pots for every grow for the last couple years though and will continue to use them. Below is an example of the root system developed in them.

View attachment 1136991
I lusted after them for awhile, for growing anything really, So any draw backs? It seems like a great way to go. Do you need to replace those lower parts often? They do have extra stuff, a sock kind of thing to keep the roots out and the air dome. Are they a must have?

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

I got sick of fabric pots. Went to 5 gallon square. Never looked back. Easier to clean. Fabric pots are good for single use. Fabric bags have to soak in bleach water. Get rinsed well. Hard pots get sprayed with bleach. Rinsed. And are immediately ready. Found no yield difference.
I bought some for the run I'm doing now. I thought that one day I'll do a Sea of Green and you can pack them all right next to each other. I'll use the old fabrics for strawberries out side.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

I think you are taking on too much at first. Just one type of grow can be maddening, 4 at once? I need acreage.

I agree, he would need to mix different nutrients for coco and soil, irrigate them at different times, then the fabric and plastic pots of the same media might dry out at different times too. Making the whole thing confusing as shit for a first time grow lol

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

😂😂 not really the reading type.. easier for me to mess up and learn from mistakes.. that’s just me though
I'm doing my first grow, I finished up the autos now waiting for the photos to be finished. I bought good soil because I wanted to keep it a simple as possible. Some good soil have enough amendments in them to go for weeks and weeks. Then you can start to feed them a weak solution when watering. I find it a chore to mix up 10-15 gallons of nutes, and get it ph balanced every time I water. To me its a giant pain in the ass, and it goes on for for months and months. Year round really because before one is done your thinking about the next grow. Also If you haven't bought nutes yet this is the one I'm going to buy when I run out. People say just this one fertilizer will take you through the whole grow. I forgot the guys name who came up with the simple formula ( somebody) but people write in reviews this is very, very close to that one. Why buy 3 different kinds of fertilizer if one will work. Maybe buy some good Cal Mag to add now and then
https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00NXVZ...olid=2VK4N39Z395GU&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

I agree, he would need to mix different nutrients for coco and soil, irrigate them at different times, then the fabric and plastic pots of the same media might dry out at different times too. Making the whole thing confusing as shit for a first time grow lol
So you recommended all soil this time around and coco next time might be the best thing to do?

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Oh yeah I hate throwing good stuff away. If I tried to get the plant out to transplant to a bigger pot I would have to cut them. But when my plants are finished I manage to pull the whole thing out and save that pot and soil
And that is why we skip the whole transplant to a bigger pot bit. After they germ, in the final pot they go.

Habosabin

Habosabin

So you recommended all soil this time around and coco next time might be the best thing to do?
I'd go with a single choice. If you go with two different media, then you will be more confused if something wrong happens. Plus your watering schedule will be completely different for each.

I think growth might be faster with coco so keep that in mind when deciding.

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

I'd go with a single choice. If you go with two different media, then you will be more confused if something wrong happens. Plus your watering schedule will be completely different for each.

I think growth might be faster with coco so keep that in mind when deciding.
Ok so I’ll go with soil this time and coco when I order my other tent and do coco in there

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

Its easier to transplant using a plastic container. Use razor blade to cut slits down sides of plastic pot to help air out better, then final transplant use fabric
Have you seen the pictures of the nursery pots I have now 😂 literally no space to cut at all

Farmer88

Farmer88

If you want to be able to pot up successfully in fabric pots. Many companies offer smaller pots with a velcro seam allowing for easy transplant. This allows smaller plants more frequent waterings and a limited space to develop healthy roots faster. I have gone from 4inch pots to 1quart to 1 gallon to final pot or in the ground. I also rough up the root system a bit while transpanting. We always do this in agriculture with pretty much any plant we are transplsnting. There is benefit to giving some stress to your plants, hense low stress training becoming rather fashionable in the present day. It also allows the root zone a shot of oxygen and will ensure a fluffy soil root zone for new roots to emerge unencumbered.

CurtisBlow916

CurtisBlow916

If you want to be able to pot up successfully in fabric pots. Many companies offer smaller pots with a velcro seam allowing for easy transplant. This allows smaller plants more frequent waterings and a limited space to develop healthy roots faster. I have gone from 4inch pots to 1quart to 1 gallon to final pot or in the ground. I also rough up the root system a bit while transpanting. We always do this in agriculture with pretty much any plant we are transplsnting. There is benefit to giving some stress to your plants, hense low stress training becoming rather fashionable in the present day. It also allows the root zone a shot of oxygen and will ensure a fluffy soil root zone for new roots to emerge unencumbered.
So like a light fluff of the roots at transplant 🤔

Beach_Bum

Beach_Bum

So like a light fluff of the roots at transplant 🤔
You can start them off in SOLO cups, use your lighter to burn some drain holes in the bottom. You can get them all under one small light for a few weeks. Easy to get them out to go into the big pot. Use them over and over, if you remember where you put them.

Top Bottom