Any Co Residents Open To Teaming Up?

• Thread starter Sailfishdan
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

Without beating a dead horse to much, you really do not understand the commercial market at all...you will go out of business before you even get started if you try and only cater to the 20% that will actually pay high prices for high quality and its really more like 5% of the market not 20%. I know you say you have money and I'm not doubting that but it is about $1.5 million just to get in the door right now and that money has to be legit, documented income. Because that would be outside out of state investment you couldn't participate in any profit or scaled return structure only as a strait loan with interest paid. Right now your are probably looking at close to a year just to put a deal together, then you have to build out and get "CO'd" then start the process with licensing with the city and state which can take another 6 months of waiting before you can even start production, then you will have to self finance your production for another 120-180 days before you can even have the opportunity to generate any revenue from your efforts.

One thing people outside the commercial agricultural side of the industry fail to realize is that this is not about producing A+++ product, people just do not buy it and honestly most dispensary customers wouldn't even know it if they saw it, that is not the business model at all..your capped out at $225-$250/oz and that will sit on the shelf if you have B grade sellin at $180/oz right beside it and if you have $125/oz of shake you will sell 100 to 1 against the badass dank. Wholesale is sitting at $1800-$2200 pretty much accross the board and some volume guys are knockin it at $1600. Just the way it is, I get far more call/demand for less than dank than I do the dank. I even have retailers asking me not to bring them the badass weed, they would rather have B grade that they can market at a discount to the masses. The best analogy I can think of is craft beer compared to PBR..people drink Sierra Nevada but alot more people drink PBR...Alot more hamburger sold than filet mignon..sure filets are better but the difference in $6/lb and $29/lb makes it a very small market niche and most producers can not survive on that small of a market share.
I don't deserve the knowledge you kick, and may never need it But I fucking appreciate it. Peace and get back on those 1000 thouie idiot cutting edge grows, I hope you see the humor

blazer

blazer

Without beating a dead horse to much, you really do not understand the commercial market at all...you will go out of business before you even get started if you try and only cater to the 20% that will actually pay high prices for high quality and its really more like 5% of the market not 20%. I know you say you have money and I'm not doubting that but it is about $1.5 million just to get in the door right now and that money has to be legit, documented income. Because that would be outside out of state investment you couldn't participate in any profit or scaled return structure only as a strait loan with interest paid. Right now your are probably looking at close to a year just to put a deal together, then you have to build out and get "CO'd" then start the process with licensing with the city and state which can take another 6 months of waiting before you can even start production, then you will have to self finance your production for another 120-180 days before you can even have the opportunity to generate any revenue from your efforts.

One thing people outside the commercial agricultural side of the industry fail to realize is that this is not about producing A+++ product, people just do not buy it and honestly most dispensary customers wouldn't even know it if they saw it, that is not the business model at all..your capped out at $225-$250/oz and that will sit on the shelf if you have B grade sellin at $180/oz right beside it and if you have $125/oz of shake you will sell 100 to 1 against the badass dank. Wholesale is sitting at $1800-$2200 pretty much accross the board and some volume guys are knockin it at $1600. Just the way it is, I get far more call/demand for less than dank than I do the dank. I even have retailers asking me not to bring them the badass weed, they would rather have B grade that they can market at a discount to the masses. The best analogy I can think of is craft beer compared to PBR..people drink Sierra Nevada but alot more people drink PBR...Alot more hamburger sold than filet mignon..sure filets are better but the difference in $6/lb and $29/lb makes it a very small market niche and most producers can not survive on that small of a market share.
Well said @Texas Kid Never thought of it that way Or from that perspective, thanks for the lesson. Always was wondering why our Medz never seemed to get better even after going back a year or so later still mediocre at best being offered to patients, but that just pushed me to grow my own!

fishwhistle

fishwhistle

TK is hitting it right on the head and it does not only apply to colorado.People want cheap affordable weed,its crazy but its what sells.Not everybody can afford a $400 a month budget for weed,most cannot.I know a few dispo and delivery service operators and cheap weed or Ozers of shake specials for $100 sells 10-1 over killer all day long,makes no sense to me but you gotta give the people what they want,commercial same as it ever was,lol.

Last edited:
Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

I understand all this Tex... and were aware of what wholesale units are running for quality can be produced for 22 on a large scale, especially in the proper GH...

I already stated we have no desire to be PBR... but would love to become like one of the thousands of craft brewers that are capitalizing on a growing market and saying no to large mass produced BS

Somebody had to start the craft beer revolution.... look at it today

I'm well aware of the adversities we are facing... and appreciate all the concern, but we will be just fine

I'm not in hear asking you guys questions on how to do this (tex I did send you a PM and this could have just been posted there).... just looking for people who may realize they bit off more than they can chew... or for like minded individuals who feel like Colorado deserves better

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

:eek:Make craft.beer and sell it for pbr price but keep it in a bottle I still don't understand expensive beer in a can, but I'm not a beer guy but oddly enough I appreciate great beer....

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I call bullshit on needing over a mill to start a shop. Hell you don't even have to grow your own anymore you can just buy all the cheap crap from other shops at whole sale price while you save to start growing your own. I know multiple small time mom pop shops that are able to support there families no problem still to this day!
if you can hustle it's possible no doubt

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

I call bullshit on needing over a mill to start a shop. Hell you don't even have to grow your own anymore you can just buy all the cheap crap from other shops at whole sale price while you save to start growing your own. I know multiple small time mom pop shops that are able to support there families no problem still to this day!
if you can hustle it's possible no doubt

you don't.... especially not if your a RESIDENT

that's why we're entertaining this whole partnership deal.... for a CO resident it could cost less than 75k to file everything and apply for the paperwork.... and that's for the whole gamete depending on the county and townships of course

Last edited:
MtGrownCanna

MtGrownCanna

PM is a problem that plagues beginning gardeners(not professionals).... you guys have a ridiculously dry climate to boot, PM problems out there would strictly be operator error

PM thrives in hot dry climates. You should do some reading up before coming out.. And as you can see from the pics in CO Bud Shots, there is no lack of top quality bud here. The problem with mmj's is that everything is about money, once you invest. Time is the biggest enemy and killer 8 week strains are rare. Investors always have the final say. We all know how the investor changes his mind because his top line isn't where he dreamed and he realizes he hasn't thought things through enough.. Everyone says they can come out here and be successful and do it better than the locals....that's naive. And why would a legal resident of CO put their name on a mmj license for an outside investor??

Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

PM thrives in hot dry climates. You should do some reading up before coming out.. And as you can see from the pics in CO Bud Shots, there is no lack of top quality bud here. The problem with mmj's is that everything is about money, once you invest. Time is the biggest enemy and killer 8 week strains are rare. Investors always have the final say. We all know how the investor changes his mind because his top line isn't where he dreamed and he realizes he hasn't thought things through enough.. Everyone says they can come out here and be successful and do it better than the locals....that's naive. And why would a legal resident of CO put their name on a mmj license for an outside investor??

do you run your indoor garden in hot and dry environment.... come on man PM is first grade stuff was my point, its totally avoidable in a properly built and maintained environment....

im not denying or saying that there isn't good growers or good bud there, im simply saying that quality flowers aren't common in the stores.... there are plenty great 8 weekers, not that really means much in this situation(we have been running plenty of 9, 9.5 and 10 week strains and will continue to do so)....ive said it lots WE DONT NEED INVESTORS

also dont you think its just as NAIVE to think that just because you(or the "locals") were BORN in CO or moved there 2 years before this law passed that you are " successful and can do it better than any outsider "

im not saying that I can do better than you guys, I'm not in competition with you guys, LOCALS, shit I want to be one, I LOVE IT OUT THERE...... I already stated this if you've read my posts....

all im saying is WE can do better that what's on the shelf in most of these shops, don't know why you guys are taking that so personally, please don't

@MtGrownCanna you are totally right about the break down of the machine and how its currently working, it took a lot for me to wrap me head around what's happening out there and why.... but the root of the problem is that a majority of these places aren't run/owned by growers....most of these "OWNER GUYS" don't know weed that plus an ego and going cheap on hiring a "MASTER GROWER" and you get what you got...

all that worked when the store could pick it up from the actual master growers(probably the guys that are getting booty hurt of my, poking at the "OWNER GUYS" end product) but once they had to rely on the "MASTER" they hired, shit went south

why is the idea of changing that being met with such opposition?

Last edited:
chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
good testimonial there TK....
Niche market is where its at, keep it a small scale hobby, grow a little, smoke a lot, get a few folks who will pay a set price for top shelf, donate some, and have fun...
Too crazy to get all mixed up in the so called industry...
Who knows the future Fed's could step in and that's that..

col4bin

col4bin

I run into this attitude weekly.

I also grow a couple dozen strains that average over 20% THC so I don't know why people think there's no commercial fire. I'm sure plenty of other shops can say the same. Where most of them fail is in the cure, in my experience.

I don't know if this is you or not but grow mgrs are constantly inundated w guys who have a "genetics guy" or "collection" talkin about "stems this big around in veg" (making 'ok' band gesture) and "colas as big as my forearm, bro" who think they're gonna rewrite the book after a week in the shop. I only keep the humble guys who put their heads down and get to work. Which is what it takes to harvest, clone, uppot, transplant, trellis, cage, tie, defan, IPM, feed & clean up after 500 plants a week.

I wish you luck but maybe spend a couple days in my shoes before you dish too much of the same tired blanket criticisms of the commercial industry. I do think there is/will be room for a connoisseur market just as in food & booze. Again though, there's plenty of commercial shops with multiples of strains topping 20%+, many pushing close to 30% on a good day. All it takes is a proper cure to push it into connoisseur territory, imho.

ubi

ubi

being humble has only kept me scraping by.............. time to grab the bull by the horns .................
put my head down and work for some low wage... .......... sounds like where i USED TO WORK.
oh the humble worker. god love'em
thats why there are so many badass hotrod shops. when u work for the dealership who charges over a $100 an hour and only pays the mechanic 30 toe maybe 45 an hour.
yea eventually u wnat to get out on your own.
and make the REAL $$.

caveman4.20

caveman4.20

If you think $75k is all it takes to get in this game right now you really should think about staying right where you at and keep doing what you do..you would need proof of funds 10x that just to get a walk thru and maybe a peek at the books and in most cases that wouldn't even be enough...I look at 3 to 4 deals a month on average and I can assure you it takes alot more liquid capital than your thinking. People are getting $25k-$50k just for introductions.

Big up Col4Bin, I have to agree, we have have stuff in the low to mid 20% range, in fact we average 22% across 21 or so strains, no issues with PM no issues with bugs, prestine sealed rooms with small crews. We really won't even look at anybody anymore that doesn't have solid commercial experience, if all you have done is blown out a basement with 10-12K hanging move along, we are not interested in even wasting the time required to get you humbled and then up to speed.

And as far as greenhouse and outdoor production goes, even the very best is only suitable for extracts and edibles production out here, this is a fickle market and no one wants anything other than shiny diamonds suitable for High Times calender shots for $250+ a zip
Great point, looks are priority on the shelf damn near everything looks banging in the jars

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
you don't.... especially not if your a RESIDENT

that's why we're entertaining this whole partnership deal.... for a CO resident it could cost less than 75k to file everything and apply for the paperwork.... and that's for the whole gamete depending on the county and townships of course
This was true 6 years ago- but everything has changed completely since then. No one takes your opinions personally, just most of us are laughing because you're dismissing the most accurate advice being given from the people currently doing what you wish you were doing.

How is 75k for paperwork "the whole gamete" when your electricity bill alone will cost half that each month?

K

kolah

I understand all this Tex... and were aware of what wholesale units are running for quality can be produced for 22 on a large scale, especially in the proper GH...

I'm not in hear asking you guys questions on how to do this (tex I did send you a PM and this could have just been posted there).... just looking for people who may realize they bit off more than they can chew... or for like minded individuals who feel like Colorado deserves better

lol @ what I highlighted in red.

Yes Savior, please come here and show us what good weed is all about..us poor Coloradans are suffering here... :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Sailfishdan

Sailfishdan

all you guys preaching about "STAY HUMBLE" listen to yourselves.... all of you are acting like your the biggest dogs in the room.... I now there is big shit out there.... we want to keep it small 200-300 lights

we current run over a hundred, at on point we ran over 300, and only stopped because they closed our store (the state closed all of them) ....were not stepping out of our comfort zone, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE CONCERN but save it... seriously

"this is a fickle market and no one wants anything other than shiny diamonds suitable for High Times calender shots for $250+ a zip"

the shit I have seen on the shelves isn't close the quality of GOOD GH

"One thing people outside the commercial agricultural side of the industry fail to realize is that this is not about producing A+++ product, people just do not buy it and honestly most dispensary customers wouldn't even know it if they saw it, that is not the business model at all..your capped out at $225-$250/oz and that will sit on the shelf if you have B grade sellin at $180/oz right beside it and if you have $125/oz of shake you will sell 100 to 1 against the badass dank"

there is a couple places that have good weed too..... NattyRems comes to mind

FACT IS GOOD WEED SEELS ITSELF, you just need to put good weed in front of people..... I have never shown a person 2 buds one great and one garbage and told them they are the same price....followed by which do you want? and they say well give me that shity one.... come on

Last edited:
caveman4.20

caveman4.20

"gimme the shitty one.." lol
Damn straight, especially if it gets me high or atleast has some effects beyond what happens with lack of oxygen to the brain, hot smoke in the lungs and power of observation.
all you guys preaching about "STAY HUMBLE" listen to yourselves.... all of you are acting like your the biggest dogs in the room.... I now there is big shit out there.... we want to keep it small 200-300 lights

we current run over a hundred, at on point we ran over 300, and only stopped because they closed our store (the state closed all of them) ....were not stepping out of our comfort zone, I REALLY APPRECIATE THE CONCERN but save it... seriously

"this is a fickle market and no one wants anything other than shiny diamonds suitable for High Times calender shots for $250+ a zip"

the shit I have seen on the shelves isn't close the quality of GOOD GH

"One thing people outside the commercial agricultural side of the industry fail to realize is that this is not about producing A+++ product, people just do not buy it and honestly most dispensary customers wouldn't even know it if they saw it, that is not the business model at all..your capped out at $225-$250/oz and that will sit on the shelf if you have B grade sellin at $180/oz right beside it and if you have $125/oz of shake you will sell 100 to 1 against the badass dank"

there is a couple places that have good weed too..... NattyRems comes to mind

FACT IS GOOD WEED SEELS ITSELF, you just need to put good weed in front of people..... I have never shown a person 2 buds one great and one garbage and told them they are the same price....followed by which do you want? and they say well give me that shity one.... come on
I'like be waiting for you to get here so I can remember what its like to get high

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom