Aquaman goes COCO. (Mother hunt)

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Sorry i dont really other than what he has told me. Ive only tried it once, and it was a long time ago but my results were less than stellar. That could be due to many factors though.

I think its a pretty advanced technique honestly and if the environment and feeding isnt dialed in it can go sideways in a hurry. But if it is dialed in, it makes a big difference in the final yield.

I havent had the nerve to try it myself the way he does it because like most growers, it just doesnt compute with my brain how its even possible let alone benificial. I just share his results to play devils advocate, because it absolutely works amazingly for him.

It certainly isnt a new technique. Here is an old tutorial. A good one.

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
I've had these two since the '90s... If you attended a concert and/or music festival at the Gorge in George that decade, I mighta dished you up a rip from the first.
IMG 20201104 1337253752
IMG 20201109 1430524952

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
It certainly isnt a new technique. Here is an old tutorial. A good one.

That tutorial is similar to the kind of defoliation I do, and similar to how broken coast does it. My other buddy though absolutely rapes his plants compared to that. He doesnt leave any fan leaves on except the tiny ones directly attached to the bud stem. Total schwazz. And honestly it looks so wrong when he does it, ive seen his plants right after and theyre like bare stems. I fully expected the plants to stunt and perform poorly only to see them beyond thriving 2 weeks later. Its a weird thing, but done right by folks that know what theyre doing, it really does work. Im tempted to try it myself sometime, but up until now ive been afraid to harm the plants.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

That tutorial is similar to the kind of defoliation I do, and similar to how broken coast does it. My other buddy though absolutely rapes his plants compared to that. He doesnt leave any fan leaves on except the tiny ones directly attached to the bud stem. Total schwazz. And honestly it looks so wrong when he does it, ive seen his plants right after and theyre like bare stems. I fully expected the plants to stunt and perform poorly only to see them beyond thriving 2 weeks later. Its a weird thing, but done right by folks that know what theyre doing, it really does work. Im tempted to try it myself sometime, but up until now ive been afraid to harm the plants.

i have always felt that it would cause too much nutrients to settle in the buds with no leaves to buffer.

and jungle boys stress more nutes after leaf stripping in their tutorial. Lol.

More reasons commercial weed is lower quality in my opinion.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i have always felt that it would cause too much nutrients to settle in the buds with no leaves to buffer.

and jungle boys stress more nutes after leaf stripping in their tutorial. Lol.

More reasons commercial weed is lower quality in my opinion.

Too much nutrients to settle in the buds? Thats one of the more bro-sciency things ive ever heard you say MiMed.

I dont know enough about the science behind the technique to defend it, but i will defend my buddys pot, Its miles ahead of 99% of the weed out there including mine, black market or legal. Suggesting its lower quality commercial pot just because he swazzes is a ridiculous opinion. He cares more about the quality of his finished product than any grower ive ever known.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Too much nutrients to settle in the buds? Thats one of the more bro-sciency things ive ever heard you say MiMed.

I dont know enough about the science behind the technique to defend it, but i will defend my buddys pot, Its miles ahead of 99% of the weed out there including mine, black market or legal. Suggesting its lower quality commercial pot just because he swazzes is a ridiculous opinion. He cares more about the quality of his finished product than any grower ive ever known.

i cant argue as i have not tried his pot but i will say i have seen plenty of frosty bulk grown buds that didnt get me very high and most have been harsh from too much nutrients.

Most every grower says they are going for the highest quality. The ones I respected most over the years admit they use shortcuts and techniques that favor yield over quality.

and plants feed their leaves which transfer npk to the buds. They buffer the nutrients going to the flowers. Feeding high pk to stripped plants surely gives less quality. Maybe not if perfectly dialed in but that takes a lot of time.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
So my basic understanding from a botany perspective is that you are balancing root capacity vs above ground capacity. If you are totally dialed in then i can imagine the roots just powering monsterous growth in like a post war industry boom kinda way. And i do think that fans are partially used for seasonal storage and so in redistributing the above ground to match the root mass, i could see more flowering and fewer fans to replace....

But man it seems volatile.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

So my basic understanding from a botany perspective is that you are balancing root capacity vs above ground capacity. If you are totally dialed in then i can imagine the roots just powering monsterous growth in like a post war industry boom kinda way. And i do think that fans are partially used for seasonal storage and so in redistributing the above ground to match the root mass, i could see more flowering and fewer fans to replace....

But man it seems volatile.

The leaves are either sinks or sources. They store nutrients or supply them to the new growth.

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
i cant argue as i have not tried his pot but i will say i have seen plenty of frosty bulk grown buds that didnt get me very high and most have been harsh from too much nutrients.

Most every grower says they are going for the highest quality. The ones I respected most over the years admit they use shortcuts and techniques that favor yield over quality.

and plants feed their leaves which transfer npk to the buds. They buffer the nutrients going to the flowers. Feeding high pk to stripped plants surely gives less quality. Maybe not if perfectly dialed in but that takes a lot of time.

I cant prove it to you so we will just have to have our opinions i guess. But i will say that in terms of high quality product, the only stuff i like better is the pot another friend of mine is growing organically. But my bud that swazzes grows a product that is superior to pretty much every grower ive ever known. His resin is always by far the highest quality for extraction too, in terms of both yield and lab test results.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I cant prove it to you so we will just have to have our opinions i guess. But i will say that in terms of high quality product, the only stuff i like better is the pot another friend of mine is growing organically. But my bud that swazzes grows a product that is superior to pretty much every grower ive ever known. His resin is always by far the highest quality for extraction too, in terms of both yield and lab test results.

not arguing brother. Just sharing what i have learned and what accomplished growers have shared with me.

Fudge

Fudge

I've done both on the bignug now and IMHO when I "schwazzed" the buds are much more evenly sized and evenly dense, the actual top of the colas themselves are smaller than normal but overall yield is much better. Nothing wrong with the quality of my bud and much less work in the end too.
I have only tried this to it's extreme on this 1 strain though, but I am a habitual leaf puller. I walk out with a handful every time I come out the room.

Edit: I get a Lot less larff too now

sshz

sshz

Regarding heavy fertilizing after a thorough defoliation, I would say that's probably not a good idea. I look at it this way- picking off all the leaves on a plant is very stressful, and in it's weakened stage- you surely don't want to load up on the nutes at that point, as it will just create more stress. I like to give the plants at least 4-5 days to recover a bit before pushing them again.

Last edited:
MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I've done both on the bignug now and IMHO when I "schwazzed" the buds are much more evenly sized and evenly dense, the actual top of the colas themselves are smaller than normal but overall yield is much better. Nothing wrong with the quality of my bud and much less work in the end too.
I have only tried this to it's extreme on this 1 strain though, but I am a habitual leaf puller. I walk out with a handful every time I come out the room.

Edit: I get a Lot less larff too now

In my room this all hurt my yield and bud density. But i keep bushes with space around them and rotate and move them around for best development.

if they were packed all together they would need help. But packed plants can not reach the same potential as a free growing one in my opinion.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
In my room this all hurt my yield and bud density. But i keep bushes with space around them and rotate and move them around for best development.

if they were packed all together they would need help. But packed plants can not reach the same potential as a free growing one in my opinion.
If your constraint is plant count....i think for fudge it's just room size and he has that strain freaking dialed.

Fudge

Fudge

I always wondered if side lighting would eliminate exactly this, and yes I agree the technique is best suited to SOG and not so much well spaced out plants with room to move and rotate. I mean, it would be no good outdoor either the sun does that job when it rises and sets.

But I disagree it will be less quality. If anything mines got better and better.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
sure. Like i said this technique is really for dialed clones or an exemplary grower.

The leaves are our protection from mistakes or even pests. Remove them and the flowers are the main target for everything.
Agree with that. You have no net if things go pear-shaped either direction re nutes.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I always wondered if side lighting would eliminate exactly this, and yes I agree the technique is best suited to SOG and not so much well spaced out plants with room to move and rotate. I mean, it would be no good outdoor either the sun does that job when it rises and sets.

But I disagree it will be less quality. If anything mines got better and better.

we all say that. Our flowers get better with practice and experience no matter what technique used.

But i see more expression from plants that are not packed together. Also plants that are fed individually to their specific need. Both things not useful for a bulk grow.

Fudge

Fudge

we all say that. Our flowers get better with practice and experience no matter what technique used.

But i see more expression from plants that are not packed together. Also plants that are fed individually to their specific need. Both things not useful for a bulk grow.
I won't treat my seed plants this way. I treat them individual until I know how they feed/grow. Once I've got my mother's like in the bignug/gorilla/glookies, I'll smash them all the same way now but all sog style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom