Aquaman goes COCO. (Mother hunt)

• Thread starter Aqua Man
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Bruh, I bought 50lb total for front row ag's two part. I'm set on nutrients for like a decade at my current scale haha

I got over a 1/2 ton of nutes lying around. Thats in dry format not liquid. Emptied them out in 5 gal buckets with seal tite lids. If not moisture will get to em as the nitrates attracts it and will get rock hard.
My mega that I bought a couple years back did this really quick. I bought their first formula and second one.

I'm not a big fan of mega personally. Had ph issues and did not dissolve very well. Ive bought several items over the years from them. And only used a couple of times and didn't use again. Like sweet candy, bud explosion and their call mag formula.

I like to make a concentrated batch in 5 gal containers that have spigots on em. You know, 15 ml per gal of this, 2 ml of that etc. Their formulas would not dissolve in the hot water very well and the product would separate or fall out of solution in about a days time. The cal mag solution I bought I emptied in a 5 gal container and used hot water and I shook that jug maybe 2-300x over the course of a couple months. Never once dissolved and stayed in solution. And it wasn't like I didn't have enough water I had 2x the amount of water I needed to dissolve it.
Raw Cal mag salts worked fine dissolved well. Ive even made my own using nitrate, epsom and su and it worked well.
In my greenhouse I used mega and it worked fine in soil, in my gorilla grows it didn't because animals would dig up the plants to get to the roots. I think it was from the heavy molasses used in the formula.

Ultra sol hydro works well. Use it a 3 part formula. Master blend is another good one. Also have used grow more a lot. I like jacks the best with its high sulfur content.

PK1

PK1

Supporter
I got over a 1/2 ton of nutes lying around. Thats in dry format not liquid. Emptied them out in 5 gal buckets with seal tite lids. If not moisture will get to em as the nitrates attracts it and will get rock hard.
My mega that I bought a couple years back did this really quick. I bought their first formula and second one.

I'm not a big fan of mega personally. Had ph issues and did not dissolve very well. Ive bought several items over the years from them. And only used a couple of times and didn't use again. Like sweet candy, bud explosion and their call mag formula.

I like to make a concentrated batch in 5 gal containers that have spigots on em. You know, 15 ml per gal of this, 2 ml of that etc. Their formulas would not dissolve in the hot water very well and the product would separate or fall out of solution in about a days time. The cal mag solution I bought I emptied in a 5 gal container and used hot water and I shook that jug maybe 2-300x over the course of a couple months. Never once dissolved and stayed in solution. And it wasn't like I didn't have enough water I had 2x the amount of water I needed to dissolve it.
Raw Cal mag salts worked fine dissolved well. Ive even made my own using nitrate, epsom and su and it worked well.
In my greenhouse I used mega and it worked fine in soil, in my gorilla grows it didn't because animals would dig up the plants to get to the roots. I think it was from the heavy molasses used in the formula.

Ultra sol hydro works well. Use it a 3 part formula. Master blend is another good one. Also have used grow more a lot. I like jacks the best with its high sulfur content.
the single part of mega takes longer to dissolve but the two part is fine. It dissolves fairly quickly and once dissolved it will be okay for the pumps.

Fudge

Fudge

Should take a look on here mate,
If you're going through that much would be worth mixing your own up

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Jacks is like 3 cents a gal also. I was actually going to move to that when I seen the 2 part mega crop and decided to try. I have no complaints about the 2 part. Version 1 I really like but needs some tweaking with the cal mag but when using tap water you generally need to add more mag anyhow. It fits the bill for me because its lower in cal and mag than many and my tap add some calcium and I add some mag sulfate.

It all really boils down to source water. What I do is punch the source water into hydro buddy and then punch in the nutrients and adjust to what I want.

This can be done with any fert if you get the breakdown of the nutrients. Mega crop does this in ppm per gal and it just makes it easier for me than breaking shit down into ppm.

Its not quite as simple as use this nutrient when you use tap water. 2 and 3 part dry ferts are much more customizable. And when choosing a fert unless using RO you need to calculate the ppm and makeup of the source water or you could have issues.

I know mega crop v2 and v3 apparently have some sediment but I think it may be due to the chelates used. The other important factor is the amount of organics in them and mega crop does have some. Now if I was running a large system I would probably look to something else but I'm not.

Just some reasons why some may like certain nutrients and other may not. Honestly I usually recommend jacks anytime someone asks what I'm using. It doesn't contain contain the small amount of organics and I'm sure uses different chelates. Mega crop works well for me because I can simply add the ppm makeup of the ferts to the ppm makeup of my water and know exactly where I'm at since the info is given in ppm.

We also have to remember there is a difference in availability and contents and this is why I use hydro buddy

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

the single part of mega takes longer to dissolve but the two part is fine. It dissolves fairly quickly and once dissolved it will be okay for the pumps.

Ya I've been wondering if the single part is made by Jacks since it is a copy of their 5-12 formula
Should take a look on here mate,
If you're going through that much would be worth mixing your own up

The link you provided is links to dry fertilizer companies?
If that is what you mean that Is what I already do.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

Jacks is like 3 cents a gal also. I was actually going to move to that when I seen the 2 part mega crop and decided to try. I have no complaints about the 2 part. Version 1 I really like but needs some tweaking with the cal mag but when using tap water you generally need to add more mag anyhow. It fits the bill for me because its lower in cal and mag than many and my tap add some calcium and I add some mag sulfate.

It all really boils down to source water. What I do is punch the source water into hydro buddy and then punch in the nutrients and adjust to what I want.

This can be done with any fert if you get the breakdown of the nutrients. Mega crop does this in ppm per gal and it just makes it easier for me than breaking shit down into ppm.

Its not quite as simple as use this nutrient when you use tap water. 2 and 3 part dry ferts are much more customizable. And when choosing a fert unless using RO you need to calculate the ppm and makeup of the source water or you could have issues.

I know mega crop v2 and v3 apparently have some sediment but I think it may be due to the chelates used. The other important factor is the amount of organics in them and mega crop does have some. Now if I was running a large system I would probably look to something else but I'm not.

Just some reasons why some may like certain nutrients and other may not. Honestly I usually recommend jacks anytime someone asks what I'm using. It doesn't contain contain the small amount of organics and I'm sure uses different chelates. Mega crop works well for me because I can simply add the ppm makeup of the ferts to the ppm makeup of my water and know exactly where I'm at since the info is given in ppm.

We also have to remember there is a difference in availability and contents and this is why I use hydro buddy

Is the PPM breakdown something like this?

Screenshot 20201225 104921 Drive

Fudge

Fudge

Ya I've been wondering if the single part is made by Jacks since it is a copy of their 5-12 formula

The link you provided is links to dry fertilizer companies?
If that is what you mean that Is what I already do.
Open Salts
This is a wiki dedicated to DIY recipes for hydroponic fertilizers, biostimulants, potting soil and Integrated Pest Management (IPM)

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

For those saying wtf is hydrobuddy... here ya go.

For those wonder about mega crop ppm break down here ya go. Click the menu tab and select the version the add the dosing to tweak the ppm ratios and concentration.

When you first start using dry fertz those calculators and ppm meters are invaluable.

I know some don't like them or PH pens but they can save you thousands of dollars if you got a lot of plants.

Personally I take something like 5 lbs at a time of dry and put it in 5 gal of water in a drum with spigot. I find my ppm that I want and I write it down. For example 10 ml per gal is 350 ppm 15 ml is 525 ppm etc.
I do this for my 15-0-0 as well

To me its so easy when mixing 100-200 gal at a time to just put my ML jug under the spigot and fill it up to how much I want. I always end up spilling salts out everywhere when weighing everytime.
After a little bit your gonna notice stuff rusting or disintegrating from the calcium nitrate that was dribbled out here and their.

Greenthumbskunk

Greenthumbskunk

No open salts tells you how to mix the big companies stuff yourself

I've bought raw salts before to mix Cal Mag myself. Depending on what your mixing up sometimes all u need is some Epsom salt. No calcium nitrate or copper.

Not even gonna attempt it when mixing something like 5-12-26 when their is a bunch more involved than 3 nutrients.

Fudge

Fudge

Fudge

Fudge

maybe Yara?

i think they are a main supplier. When growers say the “blue” fertilizer i think thats yara.
I'm thinking maybe Yara makes the Ultra sol hydroponic nutes. Ive used them a lot over the years.
Ive looked at yara before, i thought maybe the brown plus the calnitrate and epsom, but also the green label 18-18-18 would do as I could easily up the cal or pk as needed, lots of places that supply it will only sell a pallet or tonne at a time which is far too much for me, plus in the UK it tends to be seasonal, so most have no stock until spring. I've git a good offer from an ag supplier who will custom mix by the half pallet, or they have a new mix that very closely matches the npk I sent them. I don't suppose anyone has a good combo of yara soluble products to use I'd be grateful. Not the single salts as I've got that sorted in March

tobh

tobh

Supporter
moisture will get to em as the nitrates attracts it
Ah ha! I was wondering why part B of front row ag developed a "wet" texture to it. I wasn't sure what was causing it to be hygroscopic. Once I put it in an air tight tote, it seemed to stop pulling moisture. Luckily it didn't get rock hard or anything, but it certainly picked up some moisture while living in the original bag.
I like to make a concentrated batch in 5 gal containers that have spigots on em.
Do you follow manufacturer recommendations for making concentrated solutions or do you throw n parts salts into h parts water, then determine the volume you need to use from that concentration? If the latter, have you noticed any issues with more water soluble varieties hitting a field capacity (maximum concentrated level by volume) at a certain ratio?

I spoke with front row ag, asking how I could make concentrates and the numbers they said to use for salts-per-gallon seemed way too high. Something like 880 grams part A to one gallon and 900 grams part B to one gallon. What are your thoughts?

Like you, I'm sick of dumping little bits of salts here and there whenever I weigh out, which is weekly and soon to be every few days. Having a liquid concentrate would be much more time and resource efficient.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom