Are 5 gallon pots really necessary with solo cup results like this?

• Thread starter CF89
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

So let's be a bit more specific because as we all know in cannabis there is no way one statement fits all.

Why do coco growers gro in small pots... how do you explain the results of RW cubes.

It's not a 1 size fits all like so many try to do in cannabis. So why is it that growing in soil generally requires a larger pot?

You see it's not the issue of rootbound but an issue of managing the media like I said in my controversial first post. These plants had to be fed 14x a day

I'm not saying it can't happen but I am saying that a plant truly rootbound I have yet to see.

Eg these roots were a bit over 3 weeks. Now I grew these plants out for 8 more weeks start to finish 1 gal pots.

1 litre cal mag for reference... my God was that plant cooked... I had a few drunken timer mishaps to boot

View attachment 1180203View attachment 1180205View attachment 1180205
The size of your plant shows the root bound issue.. i grow colas that size all the time. Even in coco, root bound issues will stunt your plant. Ive seen it hundreds of times with comparisons of solo up to one gallan and even 1 gallon compared to 2 gallons. The sizes were well noticable.

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Interesting my last grow was 1 gal pots fed 14x a day.

The point I'm making is that rootbound is not as big of an issue as we commonly think and it has more to do with the ability to manage the media then the actual strangulation, compaction or space of roots. However you want to describe it.

I didn't say it's not real I'm saying in 99% of the claims of rootbound they are not trying to break out of the pots and if let go they absolutely will.
Having to feed your plant 14x a day is a big nuisance. And unrealisitic in most peoples lifes. That means your plants risk underwatering problems if you dont feed ever couple hours. Which again call it what you want, is root bound issues. Not being able to strectch out for water can lead to issues of plant not growing as tall or wide. Plant growth and root zone room go hand in hand.

Mrb53

Mrb53

what basically happens here is the substrate changes from a soil to a hydro like condition. The cups function the same as a net pot, only a place for the plant to anchor. There is root binding going on but force feed nutes pushes the growth. The nice things - so not have to deal with a reservoir so no single point of failure. Down side - gotta feed every day all day long...could automate but then you are back to a reservoir. Might as well cut holes in the plywood, sink the cups, cut the bottoms off, set in some type of plastic bin and its a hydro setup.
If you got the time, it works.
I do not...I grow in 1 gal cloths...I feed onve day, maybe 2 days sometimes. Much less return than this but I am not living in my grow area / tent.

AngryPossum

AngryPossum

This is insane. Wow. I bet you would have to nurture these like a new born baby.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Having to feed your plant 14x a day is a big nuisance. And unrealisitic in most peoples lifes. That means your plants risk underwatering problems if you dont feed ever couple hours. Which again call it what you want, is root bound issues. Not being able to strectch out for water can lead to issues of plant not growing as tall or wide. Plant growth and root zone room go hand in hand.
What's the veg time on yours? These were 3 week or so from seed NOT clone. Veg time plays a role in plant size and bud size thats not from being root bound.

I'm not saying they can't get what I saying is its not the roots lack of space because they will break freaking concrete if they need. It the difficulty of maintaining the o2, water, nutrients and ph in such a tiny space that fill of roots.

Auto watering system cost me like 200 maybe? Can't remember.

Thus is not an debate on how much of a pita it is to water. It's about the term rootbound and when a plant is actually root bound. Have you ever seen a plant split a pot?

These are fabric and would tear them like nothing if they were root bound. Honestly you don't think roots can rips through fabric if they need?

Here forst thing pulled from a 2 sec Google search.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Now in your experience is it really the solo cup being root bound or is it that you couldn't keep up it's needs? Saying that based on the pita statement.

I will definitely conceded soil is more of an issue because the plants get thier nutrients from the organics in it. But it's not a root bound problem it's a media management problem and a constant drip feed would prob cure that.

The reason I posted the comment is that it's used cross media incorrectly extremely often. In soil definetly they benefit from an adequate amount for nutrition.

In coco, hydro, aero well its not really the case because you can provide them enough. I'd say to a lesser degree in soil.

Now I will say that with organics and slow release you are definitely behind the 8 ball if you try to manage a tiny volume if media and meet those needs.

I'm just trying to prove a point that like anything in cannabis there is no one rule and the term rootbound is often misused or applied is all.

Yes it can happen but like I said I have yet to see a plant where it was actually the root volume that would not allow for o2, water or nutrients. And more so the grower could not manage the requirements for the size of pot the plant was in... in which case the result is the same... it sure be and will benefit from a larger media volume

DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

I get what your saying as far as root bound is used way to much as a "must be" kind of issue. Root bound to me is when your roots dont have adequate space to grow. They grow when seeking water. Enough water to grow the plant to a specific size. Ive seen where the branches of plants dont stretch out as far as they would because the roots werent stretching out. I love the science of growing. The science behind the roots and plants are amazing. When you limit root space. A plant will only grow to the size the roots can handle. Yes a plant will keep growing even if your having to feeding 14 times a day. But that same plant would develop alot better not under root zone overcrowding. And the constant need of feeding. Now do drip systems make it to where you have a system that will provide enough nutrients and oxygen to grow plants? Yes but the plant still needs room to grow its roots. Just like a fish will only grow the size of its bowl. Roots will stop root growth when confined to a small area. Allowing roots to stretch tells the plant there is still plenty of room to grow. Ive watched 2 seeds of the same strain grow in 3 different pots. A solo cup and 1 gallon pot were use to start thr 2 seeds. Later the solo cup was transplanted to a 2 gallon pot. The plants originally grew at the same robust of each other untill a few weeks in. The 1 gallon was growing wider and bushier. But both were same hieght. After my schedule couldnt keep up with the watering demand of the red solo cup, i transplanted into 2 gallons. That plant in a coiple weeks was surpassed the 1 gallon plant in bushiness and just all around size.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I get what your saying as far as root bound is used way to much as a "must be" kind of issue. Root bound to me is when your roots dont have adequate space to grow. They grow when seeking water. Enough water to grow the plant to a specific size. Ive seen where the branches of plants dont stretch out as far as they would because the roots werent stretching out. I love the science of growing. The science behind the roots and plants are amazing. When you limit root space. A plant will only grow to the size the roots can handle. Yes a plant will keep growing even if your having to feeding 14 times a day. But that same plant would develop alot better not under root zone overcrowding. And the constant need of feeding. Now do drip systems make it to where you have a system that will provide enough nutrients and oxygen to grow plants? Yes but the plant still needs room to grow its roots. Just like a fish will only grow the size of its bowl. Roots will stop root growth when confined to a small area. Allowing roots to stretch tells the plant there is still plenty of room to grow. Ive watched 2 seeds of the same strain grow in 3 different pots. A solo cup and 1 gallon pot were use to start thr 2 seeds. Later the solo cup was transplanted to a 2 gallon pot. The plants originally grew at the same robust of each other untill a few weeks in. The 1 gallon was growing wider and bushier. But both were same hieght. After my schedule couldnt keep up with the watering demand of the red solo cup, i transplanted into 2 gallons. That plant in a coiple weeks was surpassed the 1 gallon plant in bushiness and just all around size.
Seed comparisons don’t count IMO to much variation

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Ok as someone who has also bred fish and aquatic plants your wrong on both accounts and you clearly made my point here.

After my schedule couldnt keep up with the watering demand of the red solo cup

Fish dont grow to the size of their environment they grow as big as they naturally do provided adequate water quality... and a big part is nitrates.... ask any fish farm who crams thousands of fish into tiny tanks.

Wider roots lead to wider branching? Can you please show me any scientific data on this because that's ancient bioscience and completely false. I would try to research plant morphology and the factors that affect them.

Any difference you see is either genetic or your ability to manage the media.

It's like saying raising a human from birth in a room the size of a prison cell will make them smaller if given all that's needed.... nope just not the case and just not science.

You even seen a large scale chicken factory? Since we are doing analogies here.

It's just not true man. Now I'm not saying root bound can't happen but not in the way almost all growers are interpreting and applying it. It's grossly exaggerated, misunderstood and misused.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
in theory, if you can grow the plant stuck in some water with no dirt, dirt is not important, and we know the roots will break a foundation if they want to, so yeah, ill give you strong. so can they work ok all scrunched up? im going to guess that to some extent sure, but do they break the concrete before they rot in the center?

rootbound would be a balancing act, at some point it wont get bigger, or it will break the concrete or it will rot in the center.

im going to guess the plant will do like the farmer and his favorite pig... till it bears its best fruit or kills itself trying.

@Aqua Man i have an aquarium and have recently gone crazy with plants! i had to buy a new one just to have room for more plants! (i have fish too)

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

in theory, if you can grow the plant stuck in some water with no dirt, dirt is not important, and we know the roots will break a foundation if they want to, so yeah, ill give you strong. so can they work ok all scrunched up? im going to guess that to some extent sure, but do they break the concrete before they rot in the center?

rootbound would be a balancing act, at some point it wont get bigger, or it will break the concrete or it will rot in the center.

im going to guess the plant will do like the farmer and his favorite pig... till it bears its best fruit or kills itself trying.

@Aqua Man i have an aquarium and have recently gone crazy with plants! i had to buy a new one just to have room for more plants! (i have fish too)
I agree with you fully.... root bound is a thing... just not the way most of us think about it. Of you go by how most growers do then it's 100% myth. If you go by your example I agree root bound.

My last planted tank... kinda miss all that stuff.

Last edited:
DontTreadonWeed

DontTreadonWeed

Many ways to skin a cat. Yall grow to the best of yalls abilities doing what yall see best. My root game is on point and so are my harvests. The harvested flowers afterwards are phenomenal. So i will stick with what ive seen with my own eyes. I know plants get bound by the size of their pots. A fish will only grow to its environent. If it outgrows it, starvation and other issues set in for the fish. Meaning that fish grew to the limits of its enviroment. Roots can grow to the limit of its enviroment.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Many ways to skin a cat. Yall grow to the best of yalls abilities doing what yall see best. My root game is on point and so are my harvests. The harvested flowers afterwards are phenomenal. So i will stick with what ive seen with my own eyes. I know plants get bound by the size of their pots. A fish will only grow to its environent. If it outgrows it, starvation and other issues set in for the fish. Meaning that fish grew to the limits of its enviroment. Roots can grow to the limit of its enviroment.
Fair enough if it works great but have to agree to disagree here.

The key is what is the actual limiting factor? Space or the management of that space?

Madmax

Madmax

Im struggling to get water into a 4 gal right now and plant is only up to day 19 of flower..ive poked holes into it but didnt do much.i can just imagine if say i vegged plant for 4 months the only way to get water to soak in would b on a dripper or sprayer or go a bigger pot...

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Im struggling to get water into a 4 gal right now and plant is only up to day 19 of flower..ive poked holes into it but didnt do much.i can just imagine if say i vegged plant for 4 months the only way to get water to soak in would b on a dripper or sprayer or go a bigger pot...
Can see pics of the pots to help understand why?

Madmax

Madmax

Lights off atm bro..its just a black plastic pot.plant was sick at start so its been vegged 10 weeks ..buds are good.i might havevto poke bigger holes into it..ive drilled heaps on bottom.. i think its just because of the veg time as the girls beside it in same pot but vegged half the time drain really well..coco is 70/30 and every 10 handfuls of coco ive added 2 of chunky perlite..
But it does drain though as im getting same runoff its just taking awhile .i can only imagine later on ..was contemplating running cannazyme through but i dont go on it much..

Last edited:
tobh

tobh

Supporter
might be worth mixing a wetting agent into your water/nutrient solution. benign substance, but breaks the surface tension on the water molecule . used to use aloe quite a bit when i was growing in promix. shit gets hydrophobic when it's too dry and the only way to really get it to resaturate is with a wetting agent. you can even use a couple drops of dishsoap if in a pinch.

Top Bottom