Backyard Greenhouse...

• Thread starter stiffneck
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
stiffneck

stiffneck

I saw this place in 1991 on a 15 min break from work. there was a for rent sign out front but I asked the agent if I could buy it. I remember her asking me why my eyes were so red. no shit! I didnt care man Im going to do what i do....haha we bought it... and stayed..... Our plan is to maybe sell the place in a few years and move to the mountains...

stiffneck

stiffneck

Well.... I don't own a good camera phone or a decent camera...
I saw the most beautiful rainbow outside the greenhouse this morning. I rushed into my 15 yr Olds room waking him up...that's not easy grabbing the phone and trying to get out there....
It had completely dissappeared in the very short time I was absent...

I KNOW there is a message/metaphor in that shit...
I do love the greenhouse when it rains...the SOUND. Here in sunny San Diego we miss out on that sound.... tin roofs and a hard rain? Forget boutit.

20180212 072120
20180212 072109
20180212 072026
SpankyLoc

SpankyLoc

Thanks MomaBear. Last year I had Drips coming off the inside poly... Not enough air movement at all last year....

In San Diego so we are pretty mild here....

What I did and it seems to have fixed the issue is to put a vent about 1 foot by three foot on the top ridge.... I also added another box fan.... So now there are Two box fans, One small blower fan for exhaust and two directional fans blowing on the canopy.... At first I had both box fans exhausting air OUT.... there was still a very small film of condensation... just a bit... but I took one of those box fans and am now bringing outside air in.... This seems to have helped greatly.... So now the inside temp is closer to the outside temp....

Yep..... those Girls are always in motion....

That's why condensation happens right? Temperature difference too great from outside to insideView attachment 741925 ?
Condensation happens when there is too much moisture in the air so the air dumps it. The hotter the air the more moisture it can hold before it dumps it .I have a greenhouse in so cal and its down now xuz of winter but when its up n running i have a fully enclosed greenhouse and i have a dehumidifier for the night time .I pull about 4 gallons out the air each night in a small 8x8x8 solexx greenhouse .

stiffneck

stiffneck

Condensation happens when there is too much moisture in the air so the air dumps it. The hotter the air the more moisture it can hold before it dumps it .I have a greenhouse in so cal and its down now xuz of winter but when its up n running i have a fully enclosed greenhouse and i have a dehumidifier for the night time .I pull about 4 gallons out the air each night in a small 8x8x8 solexx greenhouse .

Hey thanks spanky. The only real issue is water droplets forming on the inside cover. Cheap.home depot plastic. Quality covering probably will.improve.this. Going to invest in a small.humidifier if I see PM. I run three directional fans 24/7 in there and didn't have any issues last year... always trying.to.learn and improve...

How do you like your solexx?

SinCity

SinCity

Not sure how but got a couple bud worms in the GH... I made a comment somewhere the other day how I have zero problems with the cats since I put up the GH... I should have kept my mouth shut! Plants are pretty far along but gave them a light spray of Bt... going to give buildasoil a call and see about predator insects for the cabbage butterfly...

You guys and this thread--hell, the whole damn forum--just plain awesome. If I may, because I love geeking out on this sort of stuff, I offer the academic paper attached below about getting rid of cabbage butterfly larva. I offer one point for your consideration: there is soooo much research already out there from scientists outside of this industry. I often find them a better source. www.google.com/scholar

View attachment Antifeedant Activities of Ginkgo biloba L Components against the Larva of Pieris rapae crucivora.pdf
stiffneck

stiffneck

You guys and this thread--hell, the whole damn forum--just plain awesome. If I may, because I love geeking out on this sort of stuff, I offer the academic paper attached below about getting rid of cabbage butterfly larva. I offer one point for your consideration: there is soooo much research already out there from scientists outside of this industry. I often find them a better source. www.google.com/scholar

Thanks man! Haha. Stoners re-inventing the wheel. :)

Ima going to go look at it but is it saying ginkgo biloba is going to work against the cats? Interesting.

SinCity

SinCity

Hey thanks spanky. The only real issue is water droplets forming on the inside cover. Cheap.home depot plastic. Quality covering probably will.improve.this. Going to invest in a small.humidifier if I see PM. I run three directional fans 24/7 in there and didn't have any issues last year... always trying.to.learn and improve...

How do you like your solexx?

Again, let me geek out for a minute if you guys don't mind too much...condensation happens when air holding water (water as gas/vapor) makes contact with a surface that is colder than the air temperature. The water in the air turns to its liquid form. I'm coastal too--let me know how the dehumidifier goes for you!!

stiffneck

stiffneck

Wait.... one of the guys writing this is Takeshi Matsumoto? The LA doctor? Wait I'm really.medicated and now really confused.

Let's.hear it for bodies dream beaver. Fucking knock out sativa.

SinCity

SinCity

Thanks man! Haha. Stoners re-inventing the wheel. :)

Ima going to go look at it but is it saying ginkgo biloba is going to work against the cats? Interesting.

Ginko trees are super pest resistant, so yes, they are saying that the following compounds--extracted from ginko leaves--are highly effective against feeding by larva (some of these may sound familiar):
1) the phenolic acids: pentadecenylsalicylic acid and 6-heptadecenylsalicylic acid; 2) and the bitter
sesquiterpene, bilobalide.

stiffneck

stiffneck

Again, let me geek out for a minute if you guys don't mind too much...condensation happens when air holding water (water as gas/vapor) makes contact with a surface that is colder than the air temperature. The water in the air turns to its liquid form. I'm coastal too--let me know how the dehumidifier goes for you!!

Well.... when i had the greenhouse cover off for a December January run I still had humidity in the 90s in the greenhouse area. Kind of.tucked away in.a corner.... and sunk a bit into the ground.

So.... if I just grew outside with no.greenhouse at all I would.have humidity issues.

Ill play it by ear but going to try and dial my grow in a bit more. I like this stuff...
Growing....

SinCity

SinCity

Well.... when i had the greenhouse cover off for a December January run I still had humidity in the 90s in the greenhouse area. Kind of.tucked away in.a corner.... and sunk a bit into the ground.

So.... if I just grew outside with no.greenhouse at all I would.have humidity issues.

Ill play it by ear but going to try and dial my grow in a bit more. I like this stuff...
Growing....

Hope we can keep communicating...I'm considering taking on my first greenhouse grow. I know indoors and I know outdoors. Greenhouses not so much. I too like this stuff...growing...(cool little double-meaning there :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom