Bag seed cmh 315 grow

• Thread starter Happysmoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Those CMHs are beasts!

I absolutely love mine! I run 630s though, i get way more weight with my DEs, but my personal smoke is allows grown with the CMH. Literally night and day difference on quality! Good choice in my personal opinion!

Glad to hear that, first grow with cmh, I have a little experience with hps but this grow is going way better. It has been much easier to deal with the heat. I also like that I can run the same bulb full cycle. I was thinking of getting another 315w to get a better footprint but I might just go with this one and see how it goes. I also have a global star 300w led I may add for later in bloom.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

So I decided the tent is too crowded with the male in there so I chopped him today. I am down to 7 but pretty sure one more is male. Neither of the Silver Cindy are showing enough for me to confirm either way though. Anyway, all look healthy, and have good color to me. I am going to stop using the FF big bloom next week as it will be the last of the bottle. I will be switching to something more cost effective and hopefully organic but not sure what yet. Every other day I have been feeding worm tea with molasses bubbled for 24-48 hrs. When it's time to feed I add in 2ml/gal of True cal-mag, 1ml/Green life biotics Mychos innoculant, and Every fourth day I add in 15ml/gal of FF Big Bloom. So far so good, hoping that trend continues.
IMG 20200206 211726
IMG 20200206 211753
IMG 20200206 211800

Reactions: Ina
Happysmoke

Happysmoke

Down to 6 plants, all are stretching. Some might be an issue if it continues much more. I think the Leia is going to be the tallest but has not really started flowering yet. All appear to be in good health. Some are starting to bulk up. Oddly enough, the black cherry og's and the Durban kush seem to be gaining weight the quickest and already beginning to get a bit of frost on the leaves. I am happy with their progress so far and fighting the urge to open the tent more than once or twice a day. Here are some pics, I know my canopy is kinda crazy but oh well, I veged a bit longer than I wanted to and training is not my best skill.
IMG 20200214 201942
IMG 20200214 201928
IMG 20200214 201911

Here is the Leia, not the prettiest girl in the bunch, hoping she is an ugly duckling. Seems very sativa? And weird.
IMG 20200213 212017

THCMonster

THCMonster

Glad to hear that, first grow with cmh, I have a little experience with hps but this grow is going way better. It has been much easier to deal with the heat. I also like that I can run the same bulb full cycle. I was thinking of getting another 315w to get a better footprint but I might just go with this one and see how it goes. I also have a global star 300w led I may add for later in bloom.

I would just save your money and get you the 630cmh, those are what i run in flower and those are beasts! They match what i use to get with 1000w hps.

They heat isnt even that much more either from a 315, only because they are two 315bulbs

But if you are looking for large footprint cover past a 4x4-5x5. Then yea i would say get urself another 315cmh!

Ive used every type of light on the market and can tell you until they make something better im never going back!

My buddy even tested my bulb with a his PAR meter when i first got them, and even after 2 years of running the same bulb i have only lost out on 100PAR which really isnt much! Compared to the 100-150 PAR lose my HPS were losing PER GROW!

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I have to say this grow is going better than any of my previous attempts. I have had one small deficiency a while back and no heat issues. I am liking the cmh and honestly I've never had frost even try to develope this early in flower so we will see how that goes. I do run a 4x4 tent that's why I was thinking of getting another 315 so I can spread far enough. I didn't think the 630's would do a 4x4 during flower. But honestly after seeing what the 315 is doing in a 4x4 I do not doubt it will. I do like the thought of having 2 lights though just in case one dies or something. O would also like to try the Philips agro bulb and see if it is better than the ushio 3000k I have now. What bulbs do you run?

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

I would just save your money and get you the 630cmh, those are what i run in flower and those are beasts! They match what i use to get with 1000w hps.

They heat isnt even that much more either from a 315, only because they are two 315bulbs

But if you are looking for large footprint cover past a 4x4-5x5. Then yea i would say get urself another 315cmh!

Ive used every type of light on the market and can tell you until they make something better im never going back!

My buddy even tested my bulb with a his PAR meter when i first got them, and even after 2 years of running the same bulb i have only lost out on 100PAR which really isnt much! Compared to the 100-150 PAR lose my HPS were losing PER GROW!
but par is only part of it, CMH does so well partly because of the UV & IR levels it produces & a par meter isn't gonna tell you how much of either of those you have lost over time seeing how UV & IR are outside of the PAR range!

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

I have to say this grow is going better than any of my previous attempts. I have had one small deficiency a while back and no heat issues. I am liking the cmh and honestly I've never had frost even try to develope this early in flower so we will see how that goes. I do run a 4x4 tent that's why I was thinking of getting another 315 so I can spread far enough. I didn't think the 630's would do a 4x4 during flower. But honestly after seeing what the 315 is doing in a 4x4 I do not doubt it will. I do like the thought of having 2 lights though just in case one dies or something. O would also like to try the Philips agro bulb and see if it is better than the ushio 3000k I have now. What bulbs do you run?
2 fixtures is better than 1 even if the 1 is double the wattage inside the reflector, spread beats intensity!

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

2 fixtures is better than 1 even if the 1 is double the wattage inside the reflector, spread beats intensity!
Yeah, I agree, I think the 315 is intense enough, and the extra spread would get more buds in the sweet spot. I was thinking if I get a 5x5 tent and another 315 I can really light up a 3x5 area and have a bit of room for a small ac and can try co2 bags next grow. Summer is coming and that may be easier to keep temps anyway once it gets hot.

THCMonster

THCMonster

I have Phillips MasterGreen
and Phillips Master Color

I use both, but in my nursery i use Master Green bulb because its got a higher blue spectrum.

I ran the argo bulb, its nice, didnt see much of a difference really though, but it might just be me! Lol

My store has the Ushio and Phillips and most of our customers turn to Phillips eventually! They seem to just be a better built bulb.

THCMonster

THCMonster

but par is only part of it, CMH does so well partly because of the UV & IR levels it produces & a par meter isn't gonna tell you how much of either of those you have lost over time seeing how UV & IR are outside of the PAR range!

Yea but i dont need a meter for that, i just go based on my plants, ive never owned a par meter! I always thought they were a waste unless u change genetics every grow! If you grow the same genetics over and over efficiently then you will be able to tell when you need new bulbs from ur plants!

maximusluminous

maximusluminous

Yea but i dont need a meter for that, i just go based on my plants, ive never owned a par meter! I always thought they were a waste unless u change genetics every grow! If you grow the same genetics over and over efficiently then you will be able to tell when you need new bulbs from ur plants!

somewhat true, but it can be too late to do anything if not kept on top of & I have ran a whole run that looked perfectly normal but the finished product was only 60% of the normal weight, because the bulbs needed changed, I use to only change bulbs 1 time per year, but I had way better overall yields when I started changing them every 6 months!

THCMonster

THCMonster

somewhat true, but it can be too late to do anything if not kept on top of & I have ran a whole run that looked perfectly normal but the finished product was only 60% of the normal weight, because the bulbs needed changed, I use to only change bulbs 1 time per year, but I had way better overall yields when I started changing them every 6 months!

End product was what I was talking about.

And do you run HPS?

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

I have Phillips MasterGreen
and Phillips Master Color

I use both, but in my nursery i use Master Green bulb because its got a higher blue spectrum.

I ran the argo bulb, its nice, didnt see much of a difference really though, but it might just be me! Lol

My store has the Ushio and Phillips and most of our customers turn to Phillips eventually! They seem to just be a better built bulb.

I have not heard anything about the other Philips bulbs. I will have to check them out. I don't really have any complaints about the ushio but I have seen some tests that show it being on par with mid grade bulbs whereas the Philips always seems to have a considerable lead on the competition. I chose the ushio because it has a bit more red for flower as I had seen some complaints of that causing lower yield compared to HPS. It was also half the price of philips. I cannot attest to those claims.

10w30

10w30

Supporter
i'm new to the CMH and growing in general. i went to buy the ushio bulb because it was abit cheaper than the phillips 930 bulb i ended up with, and the shop owner told me the cheaper CMH ballasts will affect the bulbs output/spectrum (i interpreted).

good luck with the grow, its looking good.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

i'm new to the CMH and growing in general. i went to buy the ushio bulb because it was abit cheaper than the phillips 930 bulb i ended up with, and the shop owner told me the cheaper CMH ballasts will affect the bulbs output/spectrum (i interpreted).

good luck with the grow, its looking good.

He told you the cheaper ballasts would affect the ushio but not the Philips? Or any bulb? I have a vivosun light which is pretty cheap but not the super cheap one. I don't have a meter for spectrum but is seems to be ok. I did check to make sure it was square wave and low frequency which it should be.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

So far so good. Found the Leia plant is starting to flower, finally. Durban Kush fan leaves looking a bit droopy and the pot is pretty dry when I water every day. I water or feed each 1/2 gal per day but I am thinking of 1/3 when lights come on and 1/3 or so before lights out... I think maybe the Durban kush is just thirsty? If this does not cure it I will look into whether it is something else. All other girls look good. I need to do something with my canopy soon for the sake of height. For now I have all taller plants on the outside edges and shorter in the center. My bad, I thought I was good with the stretch but misjudged. Anyway here they are.

Leia, does she look weird? Or is it just me? Built odd?
IMG 20200216 212610

Durban kush, droopy leaves?
IMG 20200216 212617

Silver Cindy
IMG 20200216 212630

Canopy
IMG 20200216 212650

10w30

10w30

Supporter
it was a girl owner of the hydro shop and when the ushio bulb was out of stock and i opted for the phillips 930 bulb.

the advice was that the cheap ballast i was buying from her would affect the phillips bulbs performance, or any bulbs performance was my assumption.

i bought a cheap 'light speed' ballast i think its called. no name brand on it. its very generic. and the 930 bulb = ($390 canadian in total)

im at the mega crop website and its got a feeding schedule and plant colour advice. your plant above is very dark green. no burned tips though so it looks like youve got the nutrients really dialed in. maybe the plant is tired.

------
Step 1 – Dialing In Nitrogen levels through MEGA CROP dosage by monitor your plants coloring:

• Pay close attention to the green coloring of your plants leaves. Nitrogen levels in MEGA CROP are strongly related to how green your plants leaves will appear
  • If your plant leaves are light green or yellow, then increase your dosage of MEGA CROP to boost Nitrogen levels and increase green color
  • If your plant leaves are too dark green and/or have burned tips, then scale back your MEGA CROP dosage to reduce the nitrogen.
  • Your goal is to have the plants coloring to be a strong healthy green without burning, and you control this by increasing or decreasing the MEGA CROP dosage. If you are a new grower and not sure what color your plants should be at, browse the internet for pictures of healthy plants of your same type. You should make dosage changes for the first time in small amounts, for example changes of 10-20% increase or decrease only, and then waiting 2-3 weeks to monitor plant response after each change. Since the plant has to take time to uptake nutrients and process them, it may take 2-3 weeks to notice the results of the changes you made.

Happysmoke

Happysmoke

it was a girl owner of the hydro shop and when the ushio bulb was out of stock and i opted for the phillips 930 bulb.

the advice was that the cheap ballast i was buying from her would affect the phillips bulbs performance, or any bulbs performance was my assumption.

i bought a cheap 'light speed' ballast i think its called. no name brand on it. its very generic. and the 930 bulb = ($390 canadian in total)

im at the mega crop website and its got a feeding schedule and plant colour advice. your plant above is very dark green. no burned tips though so it looks like youve got the nutrients really dialed in. maybe the plant is tired.

------
Step 1 – Dialing In Nitrogen levels through MEGA CROP dosage by monitor your plants coloring:

• Pay close attention to the green coloring of your plants leaves. Nitrogen levels in MEGA CROP are strongly related to how green your plants leaves will appear
  • If your plant leaves are light green or yellow, then increase your dosage of MEGA CROP to boost Nitrogen levels and increase green color
  • If your plant leaves are too dark green and/or have burned tips, then scale back your MEGA CROP dosage to reduce the nitrogen.
  • Your goal is to have the plants coloring to be a strong healthy green without burning, and you control this by increasing or decreasing the MEGA CROP dosage. If you are a new grower and not sure what color your plants should be at, browse the internet for pictures of healthy plants of your same type. You should make dosage changes for the first time in small amounts, for example changes of 10-20% increase or decrease only, and then waiting 2-3 weeks to monitor plant response after each change. Since the plant has to take time to uptake nutrients and process them, it may take 2-3 weeks to notice the results of the changes you made.

Yes she is finally starting to flower and from the looks of her she is trying to make up for lost time.

For some reason that Durban has been a bit darker green than the rest since pretty early veg. I fed all the same but she seems to suck up nitrogen? I thought of maybe doing a light flush but she seems to be flowering pretty well and hate to interrupt that. Besides, I used dry fertilizer so it might not work anyway. Maybe tired, but she is generally bone dry when it's time to water or feed. If the change to watering schedule doesn't stop the drooping I will look into feed changes.

I think I should be ok with the ballast/ light I bought. Just judging from a heavy electrical, mechanical background, it is well built and has the specs that higher end ones have. Also, it runs pretty cool which electrically speaking means it pretty efficient. Of course there is a margins of error in guessing, it is an educated guess.

I appreciate the insight and suggestions, I may need to use some of them.

02trueblue

02trueblue

If you think a flush would help, i'd go ahead and flush her out. Can't do anything but help. Flushing definitely won't interrupt any flowering activities as long as you replenish whatever you flush out.

Also, on that one plant you think looks "weird".. i'd just keep an eye on the lower branches/nodes for little herm nutsacks. That's what some herms have looked like, and i didn't catch it until later. Very early brown hairs are another giveaway of herms. But hopefully it's not that, and hopefully you're good to go.

Top Bottom