Supporter
Combining my love of a smooth, chill beat
David Lynch
and, of course....

Damn fine coffee.

Morning, folks.

Well, I did something at 1AM...
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-8-38-11-AM.png

And realized - after some damn fine coffee and typing this out a bit - I should probably get two more...
Thanks, diary.

I know I said I'd test Samsungs... but I guess I'm a brand loyalty guy... plus...
I had already mistakenly bought one of these...
H674bdeff4e5a4a8c92b49d96aabd1a25d.jpg_q50.jpg

And the specs just fell in line. So did some Samsung ones... I don't know what to say... I'm not going to try to justify myself.
Ideally, I'd like to run many more 2' strips softer.. but the configuration that I would have to use, paired with the need for some oddball series/parallel wiring to make it work just wasn't worth it to me.
So, that's where I landed.
I was just speaking about not getting the latest, greatest.... but, for what will be about $280 all said and done for a new-tech 240W lamp.. I can get behind that. Comparatively, the old gen Samsung stuff would have cost me pretty much the exact amount.

Check out that 4K spectrum....
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-8-33-04-AM.png

That 5K, too, looks great. It's impressive to see those higher CCTs hit the reds with these new Thrive series. Almost makes me wonder what you're getting out of the 2700 - 3500K other than a slightly more consistent CRI rating...
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-9-54-24-AM.png

I'm rather dubious about the luminosity and what the PPF/D will look like in application....
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-10-27-44-AM.png

As far as I'm understanding, it's not really a great way to measure how plants use light anyway... so I guess I'll just chalk it up to my own results. That stuff's a little lost on me, but people with more seasoned LED/electrical tenure have insisted their excitement for this series... guess I'll see what that's all about.

Only thing left to plan is my fixture.
I'm gonna go with T-nutz extrusions again. I ended up loving them, despite my oversight with the imperfect hardware.
I'll try 3/8" screws this time. Or get some washers.

I'm a little worried about this configuration feeling flimsy... as flimsy as extruded aluminum can feel...
thristri.jpg

So, I might go with this...
thristri2.jpg

TBD.

Happy coffee hour!!
I need to buy or rent another home before I can have a workshop. But damn it i want to playyyyyy.

Hmm.

I really need to just get a place in SW Michigan in the woods. Maybe a present for myself if I can grind out another profitable app....

BudGoodman

BudGoodman

Supporter
Right on!
Love that you're building your own lights... Gotta be super rewarding.
I remember how cool I felt when I learned how to rewire my old mag ballasts to switch them from 120v to 240v... Get off my lawn!

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Combining my love of a smooth, chill beat
David Lynch
and, of course....

Damn fine coffee.

Morning, folks.

Well, I did something at 1AM...
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-8-38-11-AM.png

And realized - after some damn fine coffee and typing this out a bit - I should probably get two more...
Thanks, diary.

I know I said I'd test Samsungs... but I guess I'm a brand loyalty guy... plus...
I had already mistakenly bought one of these...
H674bdeff4e5a4a8c92b49d96aabd1a25d.jpg_q50.jpg

And the specs just fell in line. So did some Samsung ones... I don't know what to say... I'm not going to try to justify myself.
Ideally, I'd like to run many more 2' strips softer.. but the configuration that I would have to use, paired with the need for some oddball series/parallel wiring to make it work just wasn't worth it to me.
So, that's where I landed.
I was just speaking about not getting the latest, greatest.... but, for what will be about $280 all said and done for a new-tech 240W lamp.. I can get behind that. Comparatively, the old gen Samsung stuff would have cost me pretty much the exact amount.

Check out that 4K spectrum....
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-8-33-04-AM.png

That 5K, too, looks great. It's impressive to see those higher CCTs hit the reds with these new Thrive series. Almost makes me wonder what you're getting out of the 2700 - 3500K other than a slightly more consistent CRI rating...
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-9-54-24-AM.png

I'm rather dubious about the luminosity and what the PPF/D will look like in application....
Screen-Shot-2020-12-01-at-10-27-44-AM.png

As far as I'm understanding, it's not really a great way to measure how plants use light anyway... so I guess I'll just chalk it up to my own results. That stuff's a little lost on me, but people with more seasoned LED/electrical tenure have insisted their excitement for this series... guess I'll see what that's all about.

Only thing left to plan is my fixture.
I'm gonna go with T-nutz extrusions again. I ended up loving them, despite my oversight with the imperfect hardware.
I'll try 3/8" screws this time. Or get some washers.

I'm a little worried about this configuration feeling flimsy... as flimsy as extruded aluminum can feel...
thristri.jpg

So, I might go with this...
thristri2.jpg

TBD.

Happy coffee hour!!

I see, sir, that I am not the only one who CAD's out designs for fun in my own time. Half of my home gym was designed in AutoCAD and built by me. I'm trying so hard to resist falling down the rabbit hole with building my own lights. As such I only skim over these posts (It's really not a joke I have mental failsafes to keep me from falling down holes like this) but the dimension measurements in the bottom drawings caught my eye :)

Your grow is beautiful friend, can't wait to see what you end up with.

beluga

beluga

I need to buy or rent another home before I can have a workshop. But damn it i want to playyyyyy.

Hmm.

I really need to just get a place in SW Michigan in the woods. Maybe a present for myself if I can grind out another profitable app....
It is quite fun tinkering with this shit.
I'm slowly gaining more insight into the world around me by proxy of the world in my crosshairs.
Also really helps with renovating a house.

I bet you could get a place out there for quite the steal. My wife follows those "Amazing Historic Houses of Instagram"... instagrams... and some of the stuff I see out in the sticks in IL/MI/MO... absolutely gorgeous victorians and the like for like $80k sometimes... it's insane.

beluga

beluga

I see, sir, that I am not the only one who CAD's out designs for fun in my own time. Half of my home gym was designed in AutoCAD and built by me. I'm trying so hard to resist falling down the rabbit hole with building my own lights. As such I only skim over these posts (It's really not a joke I have mental failsafes to keep me from falling down holes like this) but the dimension measurements in the bottom drawings caught my eye :)

Your grow is beautiful friend, can't wait to see what you end up with.
It's actually just Adobe Illustrator... sometimes I'll use CATIA, but I have all the workflow with AI.
A lot of my job as a graphic designer (before I can even design) is interpreting/correcting technical drawings for Boeing... engineers, amirite?
But, yeah, it led to the adoption of the drawing language... great stuff for planning... when you actually plug in all your data...

I understand the temptation. This here diary might be a bit of a tease for a lot of things... tobacco... electronics... throwing axes...

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
It is quite fun tinkering with this shit.
I'm slowly gaining more insight into the world around me by proxy of the world in my crosshairs.
Also really helps with renovating a house.

I bet you could get a place out there for quite the steal. My wife follows those "Amazing Historic Houses of Instagram"... instagrams... and some of the stuff I see out in the sticks in IL/MI/MO... absolutely gorgeous victorians and the like for like $80k sometimes... it's insane.
Oh yeah, the "rust belt" has some serious old glory. Where I grew up on the east side of detroit, my grandmother's hood....god damn.

And in the sticks too. Built by people who gave a damn. So much of the work I see out there from the last fifty years makes me so sad. Just no dignity to it. Guys who built it thought it sucked, ya know? House like that went up next door to me. Pisses me off. I was happy the developer lost his absolute ass on it. Let it go after sitting on it for eighteen months for half a million under ask hahaha. Knocked down a perfectly fine multi-unit too. Barely got the money back on just what the land was worth.

Which is appropriate because his work was almost worthless. He even damaged my building in demo (cities amirite) and tried to bullshit me when I told him I literally saw the mortar coming down in my fireplace.

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

Oh yeah, the "rust belt" has some serious old glory. Where I grew up on the east side of detroit, my grandmother's hood....god damn.

And in the sticks too. Built by people who gave a damn. So much of the work I see out there from the last fifty years makes me so sad. Just no dignity to it. Guys who built it thought it sucked, ya know? House like that went up next door to me. Pisses me off. I was happy the developer lost his absolute ass on it. Let it go after sitting on it for eighteen months for half a million under ask hahaha. Knocked down a perfectly fine multi-unit too. Barely got the money back on just what the land was worth.
Painful 10-4 there, good buddy. They knock down good old sturdy shit situated on farmland around here to put up sprawling pre-fab condos.. it's absolutely heartbreaking and scarring to the landscape.
New Yorkers getting priced out and thinking they can hash it out in the sticks... so they just force it to become a mini-metropolis.
I love my area, but it's getting congested, homogenized, and crazy expensive. Probably take a few steps further into the woods once we get a decade or two in this house. Luckily where I'm sat right now, everything is built up as much as it can be with nothing newer than 1940 for a good 8 mile radius.

beluga

beluga

Day Oh, fuck. It's not following the day of the month anymore... Day... uh.. 31? Yep! Day 31 Fleur.

DSC 1940
DSC 1941

It's a daily maintenance thing now... with keeping them from leaning way over... seems like I maybe got them to all go left. Hopefully they just remain like that.
Halfway there. So, that optimism will, undoubtedly, be smashed. Probably tomorrow.
Also started some light defoliating, mostly of inner leaves that would likely create those unfavorable microclimates.
All this leaning has things laying on top of each other and smushed together... can't be letting that go unchecked.
Next time around, I'm going for no more than two weeks veg. Possibly one, post root.
Been thinking about that and how I want to execute this breeding project.
I'll probably modify those PopPods to have better ventilation and grow out a bunch of selected mates in soil while I keep running these clones full scale.
Realize that won't give me a totally accurate representation of what kinds of traits they'll express, but I believe it'll give me an accurate enough representation.
Especially if I use bigger pods and dedicate a lamp to them so to get proper plant and bud development.
🤔🤔🤔🤔

DSC 1953

Back to that microclimate precaution - forgot to turn my fans back on after a photoshoot last night.
I believe this curling is due to humidity at some kind of artificial dew point.
It was only around the skirt of the plant, all the tops were perky as usual.
Maybe it was something else... I've heard heavy feeding can do it... but the humidity/transpiration theory makes more sense to me.

Fleurrs!
DSC 1948
DSC 1945

DSC 1949
DSC 1952

😈

💡⚡🕯☀🌞
DSC 1955
DSC 1960

Oughta get some meters...
Voltometer...
Lux...
PPM/EC...
Thermo...
Hygro...

Meh. Who needs 'em?!

Actually I should get a voltometer so I don't kill myself...

bellumromanum

bellumromanum

Day Oh, fuck. It's not following the day of the month anymore... Day... uh.. 31? Yep! Day 31 Fleur.

View attachment 1062710 View attachment 1062713
It's a daily maintenance thing now... with keeping them from leaning way over... seems like I maybe got them to all go left. Hopefully they just remain like that.
Halfway there. So, that optimism will, undoubtedly, be smashed. Probably tomorrow.
Also started some light defoliating, mostly of inner leaves that would likely create those unfavorable microclimates.
All this leaning has things laying on top of each other and smushed together... can't be letting that go unchecked.
Next time around, I'm going for no more than two weeks veg. Possibly one, post root.
Been thinking about that and how I want to execute this breeding project.
I'll probably modify those PopPods to have better ventilation and grow out a bunch of selected mates in soil while I keep running these clones full scale.
Realize that won't give me a totally accurate representation of what kinds of traits they'll express, but I believe it'll give me an accurate enough representation.
Especially if I use bigger pods and dedicate a lamp to them so to get proper plant and bud development.
🤔🤔🤔🤔

View attachment 1062718
Back to that microclimate precaution - forgot to turn my fans back on after a photoshoot last night.
I believe this curling is due to humidity at some kind of artificial dew point.
It was only around the skirt of the plant, all the tops were perky as usual.
Maybe it was something else... I've heard heavy feeding can do it... but the humidity/transpiration theory makes more sense to me.

Fleurrs!
View attachment 1062715 View attachment 1062714

View attachment 1062716 View attachment 1062717
😈

💡⚡🕯☀🌞
View attachment 1062719 View attachment 1062720

Oughta get some meters...
Voltometer...
Lux...
PPM/EC...
Thermo...
Hygro...

Meh. Who needs 'em?!

Actually I should get a voltometer so I don't kill myself...
Greezin out already real nice I like etttt

beluga

beluga

It's an exact match for the wreck I grew.
I appreciated it for it's no ceiling sativa high coming from a faster finishing plant than most indicas.
Flavor was oranges, caramel, and eucalyptus.
Yield sucked.
Awesome!
I'll have to keep those aromas in mind next time I'm sniffing around. What's stuck in my beard is still a lot of citrus, skunk, spice... but now you got me questioning myself.
And yeah... I'm kind of expecting the yield to not be great. Not only did I let it veg way too long, but it really seems like it's best suited for outdoor. I can easily see it being an 8ft monster....

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Awesome!
I'll have to keep those aromas in mind next time I'm sniffing around. What's stuck in my beard is still a lot of citrus, skunk, spice... but now you got me questioning myself.
And yeah... I'm kind of expecting the yield to not be great. Not only did I let it veg way too long, but it really seems like it's best suited for outdoor. I can easily see it being an 8ft monster....

Why do you think you vegged too long? Seems like an incredible grow to me.

beluga

beluga

Why do you think you vegged too long? Seems like an incredible grow to me.
Well, I took these clones sometime in August, so they got around 2 - 3 months of veg in an aero system. Had to do a lot of lopping just to keep them where they are.
There's a good 18" - 2' of naked stem at the base... it's really contributing to their leaning and I kinda see it as a waste of resources to have that much plant that's not just big flowers and the leaves to supply them.

I guess my biggest issue really was the lack of side branch trimming I did. There's some scraggly stuff under the canopy and a lot of it is coming from pretty low... it's bulking up more than I expected, but still isn't nicely developed like those up top.
Not beating myself up too much... a lot of firsts here and it's been 3 or so years since I've grown. I'm largely just making method notes that I think will optimize it for the next batch.

Fudge

Fudge

Well, I took these clones sometime in August, so they got around 2 - 3 months of veg in an aero system. Had to do a lot of lopping just to keep them where they are.
There's a good 18" - 2' of naked stem at the base... it's really contributing to their leaning and I kinda see it as a waste of resources to have that much plant that's not just big flowers and the leaves to supply them.

I guess my biggest issue really was the lack of side branch trimming I did. There's some scraggly stuff under the canopy and a lot of it is coming from pretty low... it's bulking up more than I expected, but still isn't nicely developed like those up top.
Not beating myself up too much... a lot of firsts here and it's been 3 or so years since I've grown. I'm largely just making method notes that I think will optimize it for the next batch.
You could always harvest in 2 goes, top stuff first, then leave the fluffier stuff to mature and fatten up

beluga

beluga

You could always harvest in 2 goes, top stuff first, then leave the fluffier stuff to mature and fatten up
Definitely a consideration.
I've never done it before... always just used the fluff for hash/extracts... does it work pretty well?

I'm thinking production-wise, it might just be better to get some new clones in there and use that fluff for concentrates.
I've got a BHO rig somewhere around... pretty perfect for those imperfect buds.

Fudge

Fudge

Definitely a consideration.
I've never done it before... always just used the fluff for hash/extracts... does it work pretty well?

I'm thinking production-wise, it might just be better to get some new clones in there and use that fluff for concentrates.
I've got a BHO rig somewhere around... pretty perfect for those imperfect buds.
I've just been reading a thread, not sure if it was frankster but seemed to work. I'm just not sure of time vs extra yield being worth it for me with space being an issue, I'm the same as you, I use it for caked nd stuff unless it's the very sweet smelly fluff, which I really enjoy smoking

Top Bottom