Best and cheapest kind of LED light full sprectrum

• Thread starter Ngrow20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
PizzaBob

PizzaBob

Why won’t cheap lights work? So an ELG Meanwell driver paired with LM301s and Osram red along with IR and UV won’t produce because I bought on Amazon. Right, I need to buy some hand made in the USA light that uses a cheap driver and outdated diodes.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Why won't cheap lights work? They will but you need so many of them that you may as well just do it right from the start.

A 10 x 10 is a large area and requires lots of light. Not just white light, but Blue, Red, Green, Far Red, and UV at least. Cheap lights only have Blue and Red.

This is for a 4x4 but it has everything you want and need. Be sure to add the controller to it.
You would need 4 of these for your 10 x 10

Last edited:
ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
17 of these in 3500k.

4080 watts, 40.8 watts per square foot, $2687.50 shipped if you are in the US.
Absolutely love my
Kingbrites!! Very good brand! You must know who to source from if your going on alibaba. Kingbrite seems to be one of the leading ones and I’m getting great results with my 240watt quantum board.

DeepCoverInDisguise

DeepCoverInDisguise

Best LED on the market for the price........... comes with IR and UV too.

Spectrum x full spectrum led grow light

FourthCity

FourthCity

Why won't cheap lights work? They will but you need so many of them that you may as well just do it right from the start.

A 10 x 10 is a large area and requires lots of light. Not just white light, but Blue, Red, Green, Far Red, and UV at least. Cheap lights only have Blue and Red.

This is for a 4x4 but it has everything you want and need. Be sure to add the controller to it.
You would need 4 of these for your 10 x 10
Sorry, I could've sworn I added the link.
The more lights (cobs, quantum boards, strips, etc) the more even your ppfd will be across the grow space. I like the 240w boards (especially the ones with two heatsinks) better than the higher wattage fixtures because they allow you tailor the spacing, height, and brightness of each light to the needs of each individual plant. If you are trying to optimize growth by maintaining a proper vapor pressure deficit it can be difficult if all your plants are under one fixture, some plants (or parts of the plants) will be just right while other plants or parts will be to hot or cold (because they receive too much or to little energy from the light).

I also think you are a little confused about how the light spectrum works, if you see white light then it for the most part contains all the visible colors at varying levels (google prisms if you need proof or want to see the science in action). The combination of different levels of each color create "color temperatures", cannabis is best in the 3000-4000k range. All lights in this temp range will appear white even though they are full spectrum.

To my knowledge there are no studies or science that backs up your claim that plants require any far red and/or uv light. While there are some studies that say there may be additional benefits I think it is still up for debate whether its worth the additional initial cost to buy a fixture with these features let alone the continual expense of the extra electricity to run them (as in the wattage used for the far red and uv light should be in addition to the 40-50 watts of full spectrum light recommended per square foot). Its no small difference in price either, the light you are recommending costs $1.55 per watt (before shipping) compared to the kingbrite which is $0.66 per watt (with shipping). The difference in price would be way better spent investing in good genetics than unnecessary light features that do not have any definitively tangible benefits.

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

I don’t know about best or cheapest, but you can pick up the HLG boards and put together your own light. You can buy reconditioned Mean Well drivers on Amazon Wharehouse (or new from places like ledsupply) and probably have power chords and wire laying around. If you forego the handy connectors and hanging kits (which all add up) you can put together nice lights on a budget.

Ponky

Ponky

I would just buy someone else's pile of used LED lights to stack in the shed. And use an HPS.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The more lights (cobs, quantum boards, strips, etc) the more even your ppfd will be across the grow space. I like the 240w boards (especially the ones with two heatsinks) better than the higher wattage fixtures because they allow you tailor the spacing, height, and brightness of each light to the needs of each individual plant. If you are trying to optimize growth by maintaining a proper vapor pressure deficit it can be difficult if all your plants are under one fixture, some plants (or parts of the plants) will be just right while other plants or parts will be to hot or cold (because they receive too much or to little energy from the light).

I also think you are a little confused about how the light spectrum works, if you see white light then it for the most part contains all the visible colors at varying levels (google prisms if you need proof or want to see the science in action). The combination of different levels of each color create "color temperatures", cannabis is best in the 3000-4000k range. All lights in this temp range will appear white even though they are full spectrum.

To my knowledge there are no studies or science that backs up your claim that plants require any far red and/or uv light. While there are some studies that say there may be additional benefits I think it is still up for debate whether its worth the additional initial cost to buy a fixture with these features let alone the continual expense of the extra electricity to run them (as in the wattage used for the far red and uv light should be in addition to the 40-50 watts of full spectrum light recommended per square foot). Its no small difference in price either, the light you are recommending costs $1.55 per watt (before shipping) compared to the kingbrite which is $0.66 per watt (with shipping). The difference in price would be way better spent investing in good genetics than unnecessary light features that do not have any definitively tangible benefits.

I disagree. I've read many things that show the effecacy of these other sections of the spectrum. These are only two. and in case you don't know, Ed Rosenthal (Daddy of Cannabis growing in the US) is a Horticulturist.

Ed Rosenthal:
https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/the-cannabis-ripening-process

Dr. Bruce;
Check the links above for confirmation of the light needs of Cannabis.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I'm kinda the last one to push any one brand over another, but with lighting you don't want to take any chances. That said, if your looking for cheap, and guaranteed performance, I would look no farther than right here on the farm. We have a supporter that's a top notch lighting vendor, at highly competitive prices. He's pushing products that are on par with Gavita's lineup IMO.

Plus, he's a legit Samsung partner.

Look at his SE series, those are the ones you really want to look over well.
For a 10x10, I would suggest probably 4 of the SE 7000's... I would talk to him, and see if he's offering any discounts.

Buying from him in house really ensures a time tested, forum approved product, but also plugs you into a direct line with the manufacture himself, at the press of a button. From my perspective, I think he's really on top of things here. Especially with his design specifications.

I've literally spent >$10K on LED lighting over the past 12 or so years. This guy is unquestionably the real deal, and affordable.

Last edited:
FourthCity

FourthCity

I disagree. I've read many things that show the effecacy of these other sections of the spectrum. These are only two. and in case you don't know, Ed Rosenthal (Daddy of Cannabis growing in the US) is a Horticulturist.

Ed Rosenthal:
https://www.edrosenthal.com/the-guru-of-ganja-blog/the-cannabis-ripening-process

Dr. Bruce;
Check the links above for confirmation of the light needs of Cannabis.
Not disagreeing with that guy but he is referencing studies on lettuce not cannabis.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
Cheap. When it's a cheap price, that probably means cheap quality.
Lights are the number 1 most important thing in the tent. Junk light, junk plants.
Stay away from blurples unless you are planting green beans. They just don't come close for weed.
I tend to agree with this statement. I've had a ton of burples over the years, and the newer samsung units blow them outta the water.

Bottom line is this, if you want high performance, than you need certified Samsung diodes, period. Also, count the number of diodes, per the wattage, they vary from unit to unit. It wil greatly effect the units (diodes) shelf life, it's overall penetration, and performance.

For instance:
the SE 7000 has the following: Using Samsung and Osram diodes
The Total Amount of LED: 3330Pcs

The more expensive Gavita line carries 3336 pcs, in the same light... for much more money...

But some of the other competitors out there are using far less diodes, (on the same power rated unit) then simply running them harder, which will reduce the overall shelf life... aka. The cheapest method.

There's a lot of confusing, misleading information out there when your inspecting the actual spec's in lighting. Do your homework on this one.

FourthCity

FourthCity

What? What are you talking about. Both of these are specifically about cannabis, not lettuce.
18:15, lettuce graph referencing study, then he suggests they independently verified results with a bunch of other crops, none of which are cannabis
20:04, references another lettuce study
24:25 suggests if they can show these wavelengths are beneficial to other crops then fixture manufacturers will start using them, does not claim studies are definitive or about cannabis
27:16 talks about study comparing lettuce to cucumber
29:30 sites anecdotal evidence from his side by side grow suggesting increased blue light will shrink a plant then says that far red can compensate for this with cannabis but provides no evidence or reasoning and goes right back to citing lettuce studies

I tend to agree with this statement. I've had a ton of burples over the years, and the newer samsung units blow them outta the water.

Bottom line is this, if you want high performance, than you need certified Samsung diodes, period. Also, count the number of diodes, per the wattage, they vary from unit to unit. It wil greatly effect the units (diodes) shelf life, it's overall penetration, and performance.

For instance:
the SE 7000 has the following: Using Samsung and Osram diodes
The Total Amount of LED: 3330Pcs

The more expensive Gavita line carries 3336 pcs, in the same light... for much more money...

But some of the other competitors out there are using far less diodes, (on the same power rated unit) then simply running them harder, which will reduce the overall shelf life... aka. The cheapest method.

There's a lot of confusing, misleading information out there when your inspecting the actual spec's in lighting. Do your homework on this one.
What you are saying about diode count isnt that simple. Diodes come in different sizes and can handle different wattages, the samsung diodes on my timber cob lamps handle over over 100 watts each but they are far bigger than the little samsung diodes on my hlg and kingbrite boards that all use far less power.

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I've tried cobs a few different grows, they did alright, but nothing beats a wide array unit, period. Quality quantum panels probably come closest, but overall a unit that's spread out is far superior to any other design specification. It allows better shadowing, better penetration into the canopy, and it also allow the light to be dialed farther down upon the plant, increasing efficiency.

Your internodes will be tight, and they will go deep into the canopy.

Especially when combined with high quality Samsung diodes, and sufficient diode ratio wired into an optimum wattage output. That's it, in a nutshell.

Other specs matter, no doubt, (spectrum) but these are the fundamental basics that manufactures are following these days. If the light contains Samsung and Osrams (and can actually back it up) there are fakes floating around. That's why Samsung reached out to their vendors and started this process, there was a problem. Now they are certified.

If someone's not offering a lot of information on the exact specifications' on their website, I would be be very cautious.

Light2
Last edited:
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I'm kinda the last one to push any one brand over another, but with lighting you don't want to take any chances. That said, if your looking for cheap, and guaranteed performance, I would look no farther than right here on the farm. We have a supporter that's a top notch lighting vendor, at highly competitive prices. He's pushing products that are on par with Gavita's lineup IMO.

Plus, he's a legit Samsung partner.

Look at his SE series, those are the ones you really want to look over well.
For a 10x10, I would suggest probably 4 of the SE 7000's... I would talk to him, and see if he's offering any discounts.

Buying from him in house really ensures a time tested, forum approved product, but also plugs you into a direct line with the manufacture himself, at the press of a button. From my perspective, I think he's really on top of things here. Especially with his design specifications.

I've literally spent >$10K on LED lighting over the past 12 or so years. This guy is unquestionably the real deal, and affordable.

There is a lot to like about Spiderfarmer. They make great lights at a fair market price. There is nothing bad about them except I wouldn't call them "budget lighting." I have 6 kingbrite 240w boards (two 3500k white light boards and four 3000k + 660 + uv +ir) and so far they have worked great for me. I also have the "Grower's Choice" ROI-E720 in a different tent.

Honestly speaking, although there is a slight difference in how the plants grow under the different lights .... all have worked very well for me. Per Watt, the Kingbrites were cheaper, but if I were to ever have a warranty issue, it might be difficult to get that done. "Grower's Choice" ROI-720 would be expensive filling a 10 x 10. Best value for your tent might just be SpiderFarmer. I would expect you would have far less issues with SpiderFarmer if you needed something done under warranty and they do make good lights. It's worth considering ...

FourthCity

FourthCity

I've tried cobs a few different grows, they did alright, but nothing beats a wide array unit. The quantum panels come probably close, but overall a unit that's spread out if far superior to any other design specification. It allows far better shadowing, and penetration into the canopy, and it also allow the light to be dialed farther down upon the plant, increasing efficiency.
I agree with the first part 100% but my main difference is that I'm suggesting solving the issues you bring up with several smaller fixtures rather than a lower number of larger fixtures.
There is a lot to like about Spiderfarmer. They make great lights at a fair market price. There is nothing bad about them except I wouldn't call them "budget lighting." I have 6 kingbrite 240w boards (two 3500k white light boards and four 3000k + 660 + uv +ir) and so far they have worked great for me. I also have the "Grower's Choice" ROI-E720 in a different tent.

Honestly speaking, although there is a slight difference in how the plants grow under the different lights .... all have worked very well for me. Per Watt, the Kingbrites were cheaper, but if I were to ever have a warranty issue, it might be difficult to get that done. "Grower's Choice" ROI-720 would be expensive filling a 10 x 10. Best value for your tent might just be SpiderFarmer. I would expect you would have far less issues with SpiderFarmer if you needed something done under warranty and they do make good lights. It's worth considering ...
You can still buy roughly two kingbrites for the price of one spider farmer of the the same wattage, I agree the warranty part might be a hassle but is it really worth that much more for a spider farmer?

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

18:15, lettuce graph referencing study, then he suggests they independently verified results with a bunch of other crops, none of which are cannabis
20:04, references another lettuce study
24:25 suggests if they can show these wavelengths are beneficial to other crops then fixture manufacturers will start using them, does not claim studies are definitive or about cannabis
27:16 talks about study comparing lettuce to cucumber
29:30 sites anecdotal evidence from his side by side grow suggesting increased blue light will shrink a plant then says that far red can compensate for this with cannabis but provides no evidence or reasoning and goes right back to citing lettuce studies

What you are saying about diode count isnt that simple. Diodes come in different sizes and can handle different wattages, the samsung diodes on my timber cob lamps handle over over 100 watts each but they are far bigger than the little samsung diodes on my hlg and kingbrite boards that all use far less power.
Yes but lower wattage diodes are more efficient, can be run much closer with even spread, generally run much cooler and have a longer lifespan not to mention wasting much much less light to light bleed.

3 types of efficacy to look out for.

1.Driver

2.Diodes

And how much the plants are able to absorb from the output.

Hanging height, lens angle, spectrum also play a big role. Not just the light output per watt.

If you put a high wattage cob in a 6 foot tent you will not be able to produce and use it as efficiently as a QB or strip. Each have thier place but all factors need to be considered when choosing the right light.

Imo hands down strips and boards have an advantage over cobs imo. But that's not to say cobs aren't good because they absolutely are

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

I agree with the first part 100% but my main difference is that I'm suggesting solving the issues you bring up with several smaller fixtures rather than a lower number of larger fixtures.

You can still buy roughly two kingbrites for the price of one spider farmer of the the same wattage, I agree the warranty part might be a hassle but is it really worth that much more for a spider farmer?
That part is a personal choice. I tried to steer away from a clear recommendation because to some, the warranty is a big deal. For me at the time, Kingbrite made sense. It was a good purchase. The Grower's Choice was also a good purchase, but it did cost a couple hundred dollars more over-all than the Kingbrites did. I have lights in two 5 x 5's and a 30" x 60" tent. (3 tents).

Latest posts

Top Bottom