Best and cheapest kind of LED light full sprectrum

• Thread starter Ngrow20
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

18:15, lettuce graph referencing study, then he suggests they independently verified results with a bunch of other crops, none of which are cannabis
20:04, references another lettuce study
24:25 suggests if they can show these wavelengths are beneficial to other crops then fixture manufacturers will start using them, does not claim studies are definitive or about cannabis
27:16 talks about study comparing lettuce to cucumber
29:30 sites anecdotal evidence from his side by side grow suggesting increased blue light will shrink a plant then says that far red can compensate for this with cannabis but provides no evidence or reasoning and goes right back to citing lettuce studies

What you are saying about diode count isnt that simple. Diodes come in different sizes and can handle different wattages, the samsung diodes on my timber cob lamps handle over over 100 watts each but they are far bigger than the little samsung diodes on my hlg and kingbrite boards that all use far less power.
My apologies. I posted the wrong video.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
What you are saying about diode count isnt that simple. Diodes come in different sizes and can handle different wattages, the samsung diodes on my timber cob lamps handle over over 100 watts each but they are far bigger than the little samsung diodes on my hlg and kingbrite boards that all use far less power.
Correct. But those diodes are highly inefficient. Were talking apples and oranges.

This is the most efficient diode in the world, period, right now. Nothing comes close (except the 301B, or a few of their others. All other diodes are far less efficient.

Plus, you can't dial a 100w cob down onto a plant right next to it. You can do it with these ones, increasing the efficiency even more. The closer the diode is to the plant, plus spreading the diodes apart, gains huge advantages... These diodes are only running maybe 0.2 watt's each. Plus, you can simply dial the diode into your desired intensity....

Samsung
301b
Last edited:
Habosabin

Habosabin

How much space in a 10x10 is for walking around in to get to plants? 36sf?

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
I agree with the first part 100% but my main difference is that I'm suggesting solving the issues you bring up with several smaller fixtures rather than a lower number of larger fixtures.

You can still buy roughly two kingbrites for the price of one spider farmer of the the same wattage, I agree the warranty part might be a hassle but is it really worth that much more for a spider farmer?
I get where your coming from here. and I've also thought about using say a bunch of 1000's in an array of sorts. I certainly was at one time probably the best overall solution, no doubt. But the array's have largely solved this problem for us. There' even better than using a bunch of low powered quantums like you suggest.

Most of these newer units have bars that you can either spread out your unit, or even tighten it, however you want. You can even adjust the angle of attack to some degeree. So the flexibility of being able to concentrate the lighting horizontally, while also adjusting it's intensity vertically (at the same time), it's just an extremely flexible config, and I don't think anything really beats that engineering spec at the moment.

That's why virtually every manufacture in the world has gone to it in the last year....

StealthySteve

StealthySteve

Anyone got some performance reviews on Apollo 4 full spectrum LED performance?
IMG 20210625 WA0014

FourthCity

FourthCity

I think this thread has lost the plot, everyone seems to have missed the context. My suggestions and arguements are in the context of the ops question what are the best cheapest kind of led full spectrum light. Suggesting lights that are 2-3 times more expensive just to have some debatably useful bells and whistles misses the point. If the op asked what light has the most features for the money or the best warranty for the money my responses would be different.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I think this thread has lost the plot, everyone seems to have missed the context. My suggestions and arguements are in the context of the ops question what are the best cheapest kind of led full spectrum light. Suggesting lights that are 2-3 times more expensive just to have some debatably useful bells and whistles misses the point. If the op asked what light has the most features for the money or the best warranty for the money my responses would be different.
There are just to many to list imo. But concept wise.

More diodes per watt.
Full spectrum
Best spread
Cost per watt

I think migro has a spreadsheet somewhere that breaks a lot on the market down.

Last edited:
Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

Didn't he ask what lights he should get? So, isn't showing how the various spectra are needed information he needs to make an informed decision?
You may not agree that the vids I posted say these other spectra are needed but to me, he says it pretty clearly. He just doesn't quote primary sources during his vids.
He even gives the reason he doesn't talk about 'cannabis' in various contexts, Federal Money. But, he has the only US Federal license to study hemp, so I tend to listen to him a bit more than others. Between him and Ed Rosenthal, there is lots of evidence for these extra spectra.

Oh, and Thanx. I found the interview looking up the correct one. I think it's new...

Frankster

Frankster

Supporter
There are just to many to list imo. But concept wise.

More diodes per watt.
Full spectrum
Best spread
Cost per watt

I think migro has a spreadsheet somewhere that breaks a lot on the market down.
Yea, I agree those are the most important considerations, no doubt. As long as the engineering specs are up to date with the config, and it's a full spectrum light, I really think there are lots of good choices out there right now. The market is fairly saturated with good products. Some are going to be a little more efficient than others, or run a bit cooler, longer shelf life, ect...

The LED game is undoubtedly in full swing and overtaken the traditional market. It's a new way of doing things.

Most of the bells and whistles simply revolve around features, and higher efficiency. The basics can be obtained for much cheaper and will still yield outstanding results.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

This is a job for @1diesel1 thread (an absolute gem imo).

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yea, I agree those are the most important considerations, no doubt. As long as the engineering specs are up to date with the config, and it's a full spectrum light, I really think there are lots of good choices out there right now. The market is fairly saturated with good products. Some are going to be a little more efficient than others, or run a bit cooler, longer shelf life, ect...

The LED game is undoubtedly in full swing and overtaken the traditional market. It's a new way of doing things.

Most of the bells and whistles simply revolve around features, and higher efficiency. The basics can be obtained for much cheaper and will still yield outstanding results.
Yes the introduction of far red really helps with canopy management. By that I mean making a more even canopy. Starting to see in many grows the added far red is allowing lower growth to catch up thanks to the shade avoidance response it elicits.

The UV on the other hand still best supplemented with florescent tubes

Anthem

Anthem

This is a job for @1diesel1 thread (an absolute gem imo).

Ha ha is always turns into this

Anthem

Anthem

Yes the introduction of far red really helps with canopy management. By that I mean making a more even canopy. Starting to see in many grows the added far red is allowing lower growth to catch up thanks to the shade avoidance response it elicits.

The UV on the other hand still best supplemented with florescent tubes
And what is the cost of the Ozram far reds. How many are in to board the varied fixtures. Fluence spider 2I are down to 898. Gavita 1700e are down to 998. I really would pay an extra 1k to not have 34 racket straps hanging down in a 10 x 10 tent

Top Bottom