best qb light setup for 4x8 i can order right now.

• Thread starter redshift75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
threatco

threatco

ok cool thank you i couldnt find jack crap other then diagrams that all had different color combos then what my wires were. View attachment 978148

It looks right to me. Black/brown (light red) is hot. White/blue is neutral. The others are ground.

I could not get those exact same wire binders (or whatever they are) to keep a tight connection on the wire, resulting in my lights flickering at first until I bypassed them.

threatco

threatco

so white to blue, green to green/yellow and black to red?

The most bullshit thing to me is that on the power cord to the driver side, black going to brown is hot. But on the driver to the light side of things, black goes to blue this time and is neutral, while now you have a red going to brown.

It is also bullshit that they call what is clearly a pale red color "brown" in all the diagrams.

That made me triple guess my self.

R

redshift75

The most bullshit thing to me is that on the power cord to the driver side, black going to brown is hot. But on the driver to the light side of things, black goes to blue this time and is neutral, while now you have a red going to brown.

It is also bullshit that they call what is clearly a pale red color "brown" in all the diagrams.

That made me triple guess my self.
my exact problem. compounded with 150 versions of written instructions that arent even close to what yours is to confuse you even more.

They were all wired in parallel looks like not series. its w.e They were already wired. Goal is they should be ready to come as is if they are great.

R

redshift75

So i just want to say. I have these blurples for 3 years just got 2 new ones. even with the 2 new ones.

But doing the initial calculations on wattage etc. There is no way its going to make its ROI lifetime over the blurple. There is no way. I could do 4 runs to 1.2x runs of the qb288s But none the less the goal is for efficiency. I have a time scheduled to rent the apogee. Im going to test dimness and brightness settings and make marks.

I have some raspberry pi's and controllers and im thinking about using the raspberry pi as my light dimmers for all of the lights. 1 pi for all 6 lights. adjusted for each panel. Not a universal controller as there will be variations in all im sure even if just 1%-4% considering i think they are just a standard pot dial and i havent spec'd each one yet.

Im really interested to see how one can make it work though. Ultimately if i can find the best balance for efficiency. that works for me. i think the only way it will win is simply based on a time metric. Not on an efficiency metric. Where as this may yield more over say 4week veg and then flower depending on strain.

if it was based solely on an energy usage metric. Where i run the quantum boards for 4 weeks calculate total usage and then did total usage in veg and switch to flower. if i took out the time factor. from the metric of energy usage just in veg. I think hands down efficiency on energy consumption would go the other way. But that is not the experiment but may be a round 2 i try. But at the end of the day i invested in it and id love for them to blow me away and make whats on paper be blown away. Because there are lots of things where on paper and real world you end up with massively different results. Hence the point of the various forms of experimentation.

R

redshift75

oh i also got a letter that soon it will be $0.36-$0.42 (.50-.58 canadian) per kwh til fall. So i may wait til it cools down either way. My tents are up to about 80 degrees and half my plants are showing bleaching from hardening in the sun for past week and a half. I put em out and the shade blew over a few times and its w.e always happens at some point during hardening. But they always bounce back and take off.

the cold a few weeks back i think my insulation job has now turned it into a roaster lol

R

redshift75

what do you think about the way i ran them? i was hoping that might give me the best footprint/overlap vs going double the lights x 3. Either way im just finishing running all the ducting and will need to grab 2 more power cables to 3 outlets. To run it all nice and clean.

threatco

threatco

what do you think about the way i ran them? i was hoping that might give me the best footprint/overlap vs going double the lights x 3. Either way im just finishing running all the ducting and will need to grab 2 more power cables to 3 outlets. To run it all nice and clean.

I think there may be some benefit in doing a 3 x 2 arrangements.

The current arrangement you can only spread them out in 1 dimension to adjust to 2 sidewalls. In a 3 x 2 box, you can spread them out in 2 dimensions, testing and calibrating for optimum coverage.

R

redshift75

So i have 3 lights setup right now pulling a little over 240w of power. and for 240w i have to say.... im a little blown away(picture really doesnt do it justice for the brightness).

just some notes.
before anyone says anything about the plants. They have bleaching from being put outside every day for the past near 2 weeks. Just happens when you harden them. So they looked really good minus that one that got stunted in the middle from the PH/ppm problems before i went to the RO water.

Id already have them planted. But im still trying to finish the new green house to be "legal" outside Which ended up being about $100-$150 more then building the fence id have needed. Want to keep them far away and out of sight from my stuff where people may come pick produce or see if they come pick up their crop box. But i went a little overboard with roll up walls and such. So trying to finish it all between doing all the farming/gardening for my market season. and i dont want them to get crushed on accident while im finishing it up.

The 2 in the back are my auto's which im refering to as my "season hold me overs" right now.

IMG 20200530 220212
IMG 20200530 220212
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So i have 3 lights setup right now pulling a little over 240w of power. and for 240w i have to say.... im a little blown away(picture really doesnt do it justice for the brightness).

just some notes.
before anyone says anything about the plants. They have bleaching from being put outside every day for the past near 2 weeks. Just happens when you harden them. So they looked really good minus that one that got stunted in the middle from the PH/ppm problems before i went to the RO water.

Id already have them planted. But im still trying to finish the new green house to be "legal" outside Which ended up being about $100-$150 more then building the fence id have needed. Want to keep them far away and out of sight from my stuff where people may come pick produce or see if they come pick up their crop box. But i went a little overboard with roll up walls and such. So trying to finish it all between doing all the farming/gardening for my market season. and i dont want them to get crushed on accident while im finishing it up.

The 2 in the back are my auto's which im refering to as my "season hold me overs" right now.
Yeah pics never do it justice. I have yet to hear anyone anything but wow those are way brighter than I thought. The efficacy should be much better than the blurples also. I think you will definitely see a difference in growth rates as it's a more complete spectrum. You will get more photosynthesis out of the same light intensity

R

redshift75

Yeah pics never do it justice. I have yet to hear anyone anything but wow those are way brighter than I thought. The efficacy should be much better than the blurples also. I think you will definitely see a difference in growth rates as it's a more complete spectrum. You will get more photosynthesis out of the same light intensity
well this was the first day i didnt put everything back in the blurple tent. so there is that :) I basically shut it down minus a few clones i have in there for seeds from the power Russian. I just went down to a 150w bulb (screw in type) to keep those going and turned the blurples off. Only because i have no need to be running both tents. It started off putting the autos in there. Then i saw the brightness and was like Yeah i think ill wait til i do the experiment to run both tents 😂 😂 😂 😂

I also finished piping all my ventilation and turned out way better then i expected. I will start experimenting with CO2 soon. when i go pick up some 50lb tanks. I figured out i can run my cloudline exhaust fan off 2 controllers but i had to clip the power wire or it faults using a hard drive power splitter. So now my exhaust fan kicks on with either fan from 2 main tents. the other 2 are for pollination and drying so im not too concerned with them kicking on the exhaust fan. But i may do a cross over pipe off those 2 tents using a humidity+cooling controller. To run back into one of the main 2 tents(flower+veg tents).

I have to pull out my sunglasses just to work in the tent.

R

redshift75

all in all it cost me just shy of 2k for 4 tents, lights, controllers, fans, all the odds and ends... which is me calculating down to the roll of duct tape. Everything for drying, curing, pollinating, etc. Only thing i wont include is what i spend on my nutes and pesticides, etc. Just cause thats all choice. But id say i have about $800 in that stuff. But most of it will last me a few years. buying gallons gets expensive, but it goes a long way over paying half the price of a gallon for a quart on some products.

alot more expensive getting a setup indoors than outdoors. But id have to say my ability to set myself up better for outdoors has increased 10 fold. As you can tell with me its all about hitting the right price points for ROI and with 4 tents i figured thats right around the mark+ gives me a space for each thing i want to do.

edit: i did buy 8 tents though. only running 4 though will hit the 8 mark eventually.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

all in all it cost me just shy of 2k for 4 tents, lights, controllers, fans, all the odds and ends... which is me calculating down to the roll of duct tape. Everything for drying, curing, pollinating, etc. Only thing i wont include is what i spend on my nutes and pesticides, etc. Just cause thats all choice. But id say i have about $800 in that stuff. But most of it will last me a few years. buying gallons gets expensive, but it goes a long way over paying half the price of a gallon for a quart on some products.

alot more expensive getting a setup indoors than outdoors. But id have to say my ability to set myself up better for outdoors has increased 10 fold. As you can tell with me its all about hitting the right price points for ROI and with 4 tents i figured thats right around the mark+ gives me a space for each thing i want to do.
1 grow and all paid for, then some 👍

R

redshift75

1 grow and all paid for, then some 👍
yeah considering at retail i average about $100 a week in consumption. id say yes 100% with that notion. But now the benefit really is when i hit that poin where t i have to figure out what im going to do when i run low. I can set myself up to grow well in advance. a bad season or a few plants that didnt make it. i can counter for in the winter now.

R

redshift75

The downside (and id say this for most in the cold north, not so much southern growers) to being an outdoor grower with limited season will always be. you cant make up for what you didnt get til next year. Well now... Problem solved.

Gary86

Gary86

I live in a 4 plant state. I do the scrog method. My 480w kingbrite 3500k epistar 660nm uva chips. seems to stack everything to close for my liking especially in veg in flower its nice to have tight stacks but i heard more red=better yield. So I just ordered 4 240w 3000k cree 660nm. I'm excited to see if I notice any difference

Latest posts

Top Bottom