best qb light setup for 4x8 i can order right now.

• Thread starter redshift75
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

redshift75

Congrats! Feels good to finally pull the trigger I bet. How many red diodes vs white diodes on the board?

Are you shopping seedbanks/genetics?

Don't have clones as an option? (just asking for experiment variable control value)
i could do clones off some mother plant only reason i was thinking about shopping for genetics is the control of seed to flower. with clones i may not be able to get the 12 i need that take to where that might not be a variable. IDK not saying clones wouldnt work. But from a perspective of control. I thought about doing autos. But then i wasnt sure how that would be for measuring. but thought autos could be a great way to just test the light themselves. I was looking at a sample 6 pack and thought about ordering 3 of the same so i have enough to do 2 of each in each tent. I figure then it adds some variable of more than 1 strain possibly. i have beans just not 12 of any single one. but most my beans are for outdoors.

threatco

threatco

i could do clones off some mother plant only reason i was thinking about shopping for genetics is the control of seed to flower. with clones i may not be able to get the 12 i need that take to where that might not be a variable. IDK not saying clones wouldnt work. But from a perspective of control. I thought about doing autos. But then i wasnt sure how that would be for measuring. but thought autos could be a great way to just test the light themselves. I was looking at a sample 6 pack and thought about ordering 3 of the same so i have enough to do 2 of each in each tent. I figure then it adds some variable of more than 1 strain possibly. i have beans just not 12 of any single one. but most my beans are for outdoors.

The main issue I see, experiment wise, is even from the same strain different seeds will perform way different.

I worry 6 mystery autos may not branch enough to make a 4x8 canopy before they mature.

What do you mean you can't take 12 clones? Why? It would be fine if they were taken 6 at a time 3 times over a week to get 18.

Or you could grow a clone now into a mother which can donate the needed 12-18 cuttings.

Or get 1-3 beans, grow it to mother, and take 12-18 cuttings from that. That way you get a hand-selected strain and make sure all plants are genetically identical.

R

redshift75

The main issue I see, experiment wise, is even from the same strain different seeds will perform way different.

I worry 6 mystery autos may no branch enough to make a 4x8 canopy before they mature.

What do you mean you can't take 12 clones? Why? It would be fine if they were taken 6 at a time 3 times over a week to get 18.

Or you could grow a clone now into a mother which can donate the needed 12-18 cuttings.

Or get 1-3 beans, grow it to mother, and take 12-18 cuttings from that. That way you get a hand-selected strain and make sure all plants are genetically identical.
I mean im not sure id be able to take 12 clones at one time off a single mother. I could definitely grow one out i already have started for that purpose. I can only do 6 and 6 for legal limits. I mean i could do the clones and abort whatever doesnt take im sure. I actually have some random strains that were freebies i think may be indoors i could sprout for that exact purpose. i can only have a final of 6 and 6 growing in each tent. So we will see how much we can fill it out.

R

redshift75

assuming people dont consider the time to clone and transplant as not part of the time interval of the test and we track each plants growth. I see no reason why it couldnt work.

Right now i have to choose from i could mother for this purpose.

Blow dream(although i mixed it up with an auto so no idea which is the auto and the blow dream so im not trying to trim them til the auto shows itself) Victory Seeds
Orka (Blimburn seeds)
High level (eva seeds)
Monster (eva seeds)
Power Russian (Kalashnikov seeds)
big bud xxl(or xL?) (ministry of cannabis)
candy furious candy (eva seeds)

Given the delay it will be for lights i have plenty of time to get clones ready.

threatco

threatco

assuming people dont consider the time to clone and transplant as not part of the time interval of the test and we track each plants growth. I see no reason why it couldnt work.

That sounds solid to me.

Take a bunch of clones from 1 mother. (even if it's over a bit of time). Cull the slowest/weakest ones down to the legal limit of 6+6. You end up with 6 genetically identical plants all approximately at the same phase of growth. Ready to go in the 2 different tents to be compared.

Even if among the 12 rooted clones there is some variation in size and vigour, just average it. Half the best and half the worst go in each tent.

R

redshift75

Even if among the 12 rooted clones there is some variation in size and vigour, just average it. Half the best and half the worst go in each tent.

That was my thought exactly. Then for sake of ease i figure i can just use dyna gro nutrient plan since i have it with one or two additives i regularly run. Which would give me a personal comparison. To my regular method. I can use those as my control. although outdoor would be larger the offset would be fine in terms of quality(as a control plant).

threatco

threatco

Right now i have to choose from i could mother for this purpose.

Blow dream(although i mixed it up with an auto so no idea which is the auto and the blow dream so im not trying to trim them til the auto shows itself) Victory Seeds
Orka (Blimburn seeds)
High level (eva seeds)
Monster (eva seeds)
Power Russian (Kalashnikov seeds)
big bud xxl(or xL?) (ministry of cannabis)
candy furious candy (eva seeds)

Given the delay it will be for lights i have plenty of time to get clones ready.

Most of those strains sound great for this purpose. I suppose you consider them outdoor because of their Sativa dominance. But with you wanting to stretch 6 plants across 4x8 space, having a stretchy Sativa would be ideal for yields in this space.

My top pick would be High Level or Orka. I think the Haze lineage in both is exactly what you need. I grow NL#5xHaze. Lemon Skunk sounds a bit better than White Widow as the cross parent. Fatter tastier buds imo.

R

redshift75

Most of those strains sound great for this purpose. I suppose you consider them outdoor because of their Sativa dominance. But with you wanting to stretch 6 plants across 4x8 space, having a stretchy Sativa would be ideal for yields in this space.

My top pick would be High Level or Orka. I think the Haze lineage in both is exactly what you need. I grow NL#5xHaze. Lemon Skunk sounds a bit better than White Widow as the cross parent. Fatter tastier buds imo.
ive never had much luck with high level indoor orka different story.

personally im more leaning toward the furious candy or the power russian just because how well they are doing. I have some strong choices. + i plan to seed a few out to get fem seeds of both those and blow dream this year.

R

redshift75

Im going to work on the parameters for this study today and come up with an outline.

R

redshift75

is there anything i have to do to set these up for safety? like humidity, way they are wired? in or out of the tent, specific wire? how they are wired or mounted. I just want to make sure i have everything figured out so i dont throw them in turn them on and burn the house down. I never really looked into any of the risks/dangers/hazards before hand.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
So here is a question. Did Cobs get phased out? I don't follow LED stuff too much just curious. Member that's what everyone was using. Just curious?

threatco

threatco

Yeah. HLG changed the game with their DIY "quantum" boards. Spider Farmer copied and improved with their lower-priced prefabs. Now a bunch of Alibaba/ebay companies sells very affordable ones made with same Meanwell/Samsung parts

Plus a few poorly made DIY cob fires helped turn the tide imo

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

So here is a question. Did Cobs get phased out? I don't follow LED stuff too much just curious. Member that's what everyone was using. Just curious?
Timber has some nice cobs. They didn't get phased out the Chinese just started tossing out boards with Samsung diodes and drivers that rival HLG for much cheaper.

Cobs still kick ass imo.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Timber still sells new cob lamps. They said better penetration and dropped the boards last year.

But the efficiency of the new samsung diodes is higher and cost to build lower.

But while everyone is buying boards the highest efficiency and yield is now coming from samsung strips set up like the new gavita led.

Im liking the strips as they can be 6” to a foot from the canopy. Perfect for my low ceilings.

Now the wait for strips to become cheaper and so last year. Lol

R

redshift75

Timber still sells new cob lamps. They said better penetration and dropped the boards last year.

But while everyone is buying boards the highest efficiency and yield is now coming from samsung strips set up like the new gavita led.

Im liking the strips as they can be 6” to a foot from the canopy. Perfect for my low ceilings.

i like the idea of the strips and did fully consider that as my option. But figured id test whats most popular. At that rate id just be building custom lighting. if i was going custom id go with strips and side lighting and bud booster boards, with cobs in there for penetration and the lot.

R

redshift75

I was actually going to pick up some blurple+cobs to fill out the tent til i was pushed to go quantum. Which im excited to try. Im usually on the lowest end of tech when it comes to growing(not really how we do our greenhouses which is more economical and scientific than cheap). So for once ill be on the modern swing of things. Ive never been an indoor grower. Most i do indoors was seeing a friends tent or hardening plants to get planted outdoors. ive helped other indoor growers. But was never my thing but now with the new farm and added space. Its given me more options. I have this dream of hardening a plant on january 1st next year and just vegging it out til i can throw it outside. just to see how it does. But the real reason for me going indoors is genetics.

I kind of moved to this new area and the people arent much for genetics. Ive done nicely bartering lots of clones this year. One guy traded me a bunch of lumber. But im not really a clone person. I like beans. So im working towards making my own fem beans.

edit: funny thing is where i moved from everyone wanted fem beans most people i knew couldnt give away clones. Here everyone wants clones and some of the people i shared some nice magic fem beans with had no luck. where all mine of that variety took.

Last edited by a moderator:
Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Yes the gavita strips are the gold standard in terms of led right now. I think we may see a swing back to more boards and less wattage as coverage becomes the weak side to QBs right now. Like mr.jiujitsu built

R

redshift75

Yes the gavita strips are the gold standard in terms of led right now. I think we may see a swing back to more boards and less wattage as coverage becomes the weak side to QBs right now. Like mr.jiujitsu built
you withheld the gold standard from me while i asked what was the best... I have no words....

edit:*just in case its not obvious /sarcasm

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

Meiju and bava sell knocknoff strip lighting. Bava is even on amazon.

And there are some other shenzen factory companies on amazon selling the 240 and 260 watt board lights for $220- $300 depending on version delivered.

Much better option than chinese factory direct in my opinion. Easy return policy.

I might start aquiring parts over time for a full 4x8 strip build.

Hps bulbs have gone up in price. I was paying $65 for 600w hortilux now $92 so i got a pair of ushio this time. But they are more at most places now too. I paid $55 each.

Top Bottom