BHO v RSO v DME v Rosin v bubble hash.

• Thread starter Kevuk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kevuk

Kevuk

Which is preferred diy method for large amounts of popcorn and trim?

Dont mind spending $$$$ for the right equipment, but would need to get it right first time.

Been looking at DME and extraction tube, 8 ton press and distillation kits but open to suggestions.

Only thing ive done with trim in the past is butter in a crockpot.

Thanks

GanjaFarmer24

GanjaFarmer24

I love dry sift, a little on top of a bowl at the end of the day gets me right and tastes fantastic. I'm a big fan of distillates and doing dabs and such, but kief hits that sweet spot for me.

Kevuk

Kevuk

I like dry sift too. Always end up with a stack after trimming. Loses it’s taste after a while. I guess I should press it into hash.

I nearly bought a rosin press, but I read the yield isn’t great with trim and I wouldn’t use bud much with it.

I think I’m leaning towards BHO or co2.

Dont know much about BHO other than simple blast tubes and I know nothing about co2 extraction. Got some reading to do.

DME seemed great at first, but it’s expensive.

Ive read extracts using alcohol are not great for smoking?

smokedareefer

smokedareefer

20211220 124238

N

Newber

I open blast outside and went big on vacuum chamber with heat mat from BBV.com. Just easier for me. 5x refined Butane on Amazon is like 12cans for $30, so I don't sweat it. Also have bubble bags I enjoy using from time to time. But it's all personal preference!

Kevuk

Kevuk

I was looking at closed loop systems but dry ice is as expensive as butane if you aren’t processing large amounts.

Thinking of buying these.

AB8DFAA4 8999 4296 B603 1BB1267A4477

BC2BE321 1DC0 43EE 892D 8BD1BFA647FA

1B5BF3D4 D18F 42E4 A7AA D9B8892206B9

N

Newber

the mat I have is lab grab with a LED screen to set temperature... it is worth the money! I have a NEO brand and love it

Screenshot 20220221 103247 Samsung Internet
N

Newber

that was 2 ounces of shatter at one time, about 1/8 inch thick in some spots 😆 and I have the low rim chamber that's like 5 inches deep and 16inches wide and they both are freaking great. The 16inch mat is like $40 more, so just make sure u get the right size for whatever chamber you get

20211231 162902
USER SCOPED TEMP DATA MSGR PHOTO FOR UPLOAD 1641101795012 6883279823229221623
Moe.Red

Moe.Red

I like dry sift too. Always end up with a stack after trimming. Loses it’s taste after a while. I guess I should press it into hash.

I nearly bought a rosin press, but I read the yield isn’t great with trim and I wouldn’t use bud much with it.

I think I’m leaning towards BHO or co2.

Dont know much about BHO other than simple blast tubes and I know nothing about co2 extraction. Got some reading to do.

DME seemed great at first, but it’s expensive.

Ive read extracts using alcohol are not great for smoking?
BHO - use at your own risk. Good product if done well. Hazardous to ingest or do the extraction if not.

CO2 - not to be a dick - but based on your questions this is really far out of reach.

Alcohol or pressing are the 2 go-to for residential basement extractions.

Really - your question needs to be "I want to ingest XXX way (eat, vape, smoke, tincture, other) and am looking for the best way to remove cannabinoids (and terpenes? is a complete plant product important to you?) from trim. What do you recommend? My budget is $X, I'll be doing this in my (basement, back yard, fully equipped lab) and I have XXX square feet to donate to this project. I need the end product to be (decarbed / not decarbed).

You fill in some blanks and I'll give you plenty to read up on.

Kevuk

Kevuk

BHO - use at your own risk. Good product if done well. Hazardous to ingest or do the extraction if not.

CO2 - not to be a dick - but based on your questions this is really far out of reach.

Alcohol or pressing are the 2 go-to for residential basement extractions.

Really - your question needs to be "I want to ingest XXX way (eat, vape, smoke, tincture, other) and am looking for the best way to remove cannabinoids (and terpenes? is a complete plant product important to you?) from trim. What do you recommend? My budget is $X, I'll be doing this in my (basement, back yard, fully equipped lab) and I have XXX square feet to donate to this project. I need the end product to be (decarbed / not decarbed).

You fill in some blanks and I'll give you plenty to read up on.

I tend to pick things up quickly.

I kept marine fish and corals for a long time and jumped in at the deep end with that ( reef tank with ozone, UV, RO, co2 calcium extractor, protein skimmers and multi stage filtration) after being told I shouldn’t. Went well.

Same thing again with a house build.

I was looking at co2 extraction last night. For what I’ll have it seems like over kill in terms of cost. I like the speed of aggressive solvents too.

Same with closed loop. I’d want the smallest system, and the dry ice is as expensive as butane on that scale.

Butane open blast seems to suit my situation best.

I preferred DME initially as it’s easier to purge, but the results don’t seem as good as butane.

Ive used alcohol for RSO but I’ve been told it’s not the best for smokable end product, better for edibles?

I wish I had a basement or lab. I have dedicated room I can use, but any blasting would be done outside.

I like the idea of a press but I think they have the worst yield with trim out of all my options?

I was put off butane for a long time as I never knew food grade was available. It’s not expensive either.

Im open to any suggestions.

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here is a little mood music:

At one point or another, I have either done or seen everything you mention. the video above is in my basement.

There is a lot to think about. Short of something like a magical butter machine, virtually all of these methods are not stand alone. In addition to the X, you also need Y and Z.

Example:

EtOH extraction - needs a deep freeze, probably a Buchner funnel and Vacuum pump, and what comes out is not decarbed so throw in a vacuum oven. You will need one of those ovens to make shatter or other things too if using BHO. Pretty much all processes use at least 1 secondary device to complete the end result.

CO2 is too big and expensive for home use (probably illegal to do at home depending on local laws, it is for me) and Butane is IMO not worth the dangers. But it does make an excellent solvent for cannabinoids. Just don't half ass it if you go that route.

I have a press, but I seldom use it any more. When I do it is to get thru a bunch of product quickly so I can get it in the short path distillation for making vape carts. It would not be my first purchase if I had it to do over again.

If you have a sharp eye, you will see a freeze drier there too. AWESOME for product prep. Necessary, no. But it is one of the most used devices I have.

I'm not sure where the "Alcohol is no good for smoking" came from, I would say that it is excellent with a dab rig. Maintains all terpenes if done correctly, so you end up with a full spectrum dab. Again, when done properly it is essentially the essence of the plant with absolutely nothing potentially harmful ever introduced in the process.

I could go on for hours, but I have well over $50K invested in all this stuff. Without a budget to work with, pretty tough to get specific.

Moshmen

Moshmen

I tend to pick things up quickly.

I kept marine fish and corals for a long time and jumped in at the deep end with that ( reef tank with ozone, UV, RO, co2 calcium extractor, protein skimmers and multi stage filtration) after being told I shouldn’t. Went well.

Same thing again with a house build.

I was looking at co2 extraction last night. For what I’ll have it seems like over kill in terms of cost. I like the speed of aggressive solvents too.

Same with closed loop. I’d want the smallest system, and the dry ice is as expensive as butane on that scale.

Butane open blast seems to suit my situation best.

I preferred DME initially as it’s easier to purge, but the results don’t seem as good as butane.

Ive used alcohol for RSO but I’ve been told it’s not the best for smokable end product, better for edibles?

I wish I had a basement or lab. I have dedicated room I can use, but any blasting would be done outside.

I like the idea of a press but I think they have the worst yield with trim out of all my options?

I was put off butane for a long time as I never knew food grade was available. It’s not expensive either.

Im open to any suggestions.
We smoke alcohol extracted wax specifically everclear safe for any time of use we do both quick wash and rso type wash- mows rotovap is the shit if ya can afford it a run enuff. we use a source turbo to recoup most alcohol

Moe.Red

Moe.Red

Here is a link to a Rotovap. You will need a chiller and a vacuum pump too

If you go with something like this, you can use the chiller and vacuum pump for other things too, like a short path distillation rig:

That produces pure honey oil that is nearly 100% cannabinoids and works perfectly in vape carts.

Moshmen

Moshmen

Mosh, you need to wash those hands! You are gonna give your extract flu!
Yeah that black paint not washin off so good. Lol and I’m in Florida we don’t play by the same vid rules - we been runnin like usual since before thanksgiving

Latest posts

Top Bottom