Blaze's 2012 Adventure

• Thread starter Blaze
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Brain

Brain

Man, your Grandma sounds like a cool lady. A real outlaw granny. Not many can say that I bet. Glad to hear she's doing well.

Sea- Are you speaking about Forever Flowering Greenhouses? I've seen them. They are expensive and one the size I'd go for would be 100k+. They are nice though but a permanent structure could cause permitting issues. They are also overly complicated. Commercial greenhouse curtain systems are rather simple looking. The down fall with the ones outta Laytonville are you lose a lot of floorspace for the arms. I still like that style because they are mobile and modular. The are easiest way to automate is to take on a partner and have them pull it. :)

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
I agree with ya Blaze...Lite Dep is fairly simple...But.
It does get old having to be there everyday at the correct times........

Gonna have to do something different next year...o_O

Auto flower maybe?:p

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

I agree with ya Blaze...Lite Dep is fairly simple...But.
It does get old having to be there everyday at the correct times........

Gonna have to do something different next year...o_O

Auto flower maybe?:p

auto flowers are wack. low potency and all around weak. if you get regular plants out early enough in the season with a fair amount of pre veg theyll flower off on their own. i suggest doing a 7-8 week strain and putting them in a greenhouse pre vegged to 2 ft tall bushes if you can

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Man, your Grandma sounds like a cool lady. A real outlaw granny. Not many can say that I bet. Glad to hear she's doing well.

Sea- Are you speaking about Forever Flowering Greenhouses? I've seen them. They are expensive and one the size I'd go for would be 100k+. They are nice though but a permanent structure could cause permitting issues. They are also overly complicated. Commercial greenhouse curtain systems are rather simple looking. The down fall with the ones outta Laytonville are you lose a lot of floorspace for the arms. I still like that style because they are mobile and modular. The are easiest way to automate is to take on a partner and have them pull it. :)
Yep! That's exactly it. I have samples of the siding fabric and that seems to be what is most unique about them--its air permeability while disallowing light. I expected them to be pricey, to say the least.

Blaze

Blaze

I think a 'greenhouse inside a greenhouse' is the best way to go about it and is probably how I will build my metal frame one next year. As Brain pointed out though, permits around here are a nightmare, especially for a greenhouse. Thus it has to be a 'temporary' structure which means no foundation, etc, so modular is the way to go. Plus I am not willing to spend the sort of money Forever Flowering charges for their houses. It would be nice to have it fully automated, but even a 10 x 20 like I have here would be about $20,000 (based of last quote I saw a year or two ago) where as this temporary one cost only $500. The breathable siding fabric would help a lot, maybe next year...

Also I'd tend to agree with bigcheese510 about the auto-flower strains. They are crap. I have yet to come across one I would actually want to smoke or grow. Potency is always very low, and you cannot really control what size they veg too because of the autoflower trait.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

you can build a bad ass greenhouse that isnt a permenant structure for fairly cheap. id drill into the ground with an auger and install posts with concrete around them. cover the side with mosquito netting and the top with clear corriguated plastic panels. depending on your skill set and amount of help you could have it up with a day or 2 and would be durable enough for a few seasons easily.

Dunge

Dunge

I think a 'greenhouse inside a greenhouse' is the best way to go about it and is probably how I will build my metal frame one next year. As Brain pointed out though, permits around here are a nightmare, especially for a greenhouse. Thus it has to be a 'temporary' structure which means no foundation, etc, so modular is the way to go. Plus I am not willing to spend the sort of money Forever Flowering charges for their houses. It would be nice to have it fully automated, but even a 10 x 20 like I have here would be about $20,000 (based of last quote I saw a year or two ago) where as this temporary one cost only $500. The breathable siding fabric would help a lot, maybe next year...
I solved the automation aspect of light deprivation via the cheapest and most reliable method I could devise.
https://www.thcfarmer.com/community/threads/summer-2011-blackout-tent-needed.30866/
Automation was achieved via a single timer set to produce a 'on' state every 12 hours.
This 'on' drove a single pole relay which in turn pushed the button on a garage door opener.
The opener has an internal latching relay, so no further action takes place for 12 hours when the opener then travels to the other position.
It worked well, but there are other aspects that remain sub-optimal.
I used a single ply black plastic for my light shield. I subsequently learned that two ply works better.
Ventilation and humidity control need to be addressed. I had a fan blowing greenhouse air into the blackout tent. This turned the greenhouse into a dehumidifier in that water condensed on the inside of the greenhouse would reduce the water in the air which then gets circulated back into the blackout tent. Perhaps a dehumidifier is required.

This summer I am running the space as a conventional greenhouse.
Three autoflowers, some vedging moms, cuts, and seedlings along with garden plants and herbs. (Having my wife occupy the space with me is a powerful political move)

I feel the need for a better shade material but have been unable to find many options other than simple black plastic.

My original 10X20 frame was only $200 and I covered it with a single piece of greenhouse plastic. It is anchored with a deadman off each end with a cable running through the peak. The ends are controlled via assorted ties and restraints that allow for manual ventilation adjustments, and a thermostatic fan ventilates the space when temps go above 80 F.
DSCN3554

Drums are full of water which yield up 10 deg F to soften the night chill.
Black plastic on N wall is a ventilation tube.
Radio plays NPR.
DSCN3555

Moms on left, autos on right.
DSCN3556

Seedlings are Tre Star Dog and Alien Rock Candy.

Current plan has the blackout tent back in play for summer 2013.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Lite Dep is a SOB when the wind is 45mph.:mad: (right now)

the Breathable should would be nice right bout now

Blaze

Blaze

Hey thanks Dunge! I remember that thread now, but never saw the end. I really got to remember to hit 'subscribe' on threads so I don't miss out. That sort of simple, ingenious but effective system is exactly what I need for next year. I've been finding actively running a dehumidifier at night helps a lot with the humidity build up. I've been spraying with Sonata to make sure I don't get any PM going as well.

Blaze

Blaze

Snapped a few more pics in the garden today. On day 35 of the light dep now - which should be exactly half way. The plants are starting to chunk up nicely and are really starting to stink. The full term outdoor is finally almost done as well. Just need to finish the irrigation and we will be done with the planting and set up part of the project. First pic is of one of the Lemon Jack clones that went in a last week ago and already she's almost doubled in size. More shots of the full term will be coming later. I was a little worried I might have over-done the nitrogen and organic matter this year, but so far I do not see any burn, etc. Last shot is of the light dep greenhouse.

All the other plants in the garden are starting to flower and fruit and bud as well. Growing other plants really helps with one's growing skills and get different perspective in my opinion, so I've always got a bunch of other plants going other than just the medical sort. I've got 8 different types of hot peppers going in redwood planter boxes that are beginning to flower and grow little green peppers, can't wait to make some home made hot sauce! The 4th pic is of one of my Pineapple Guava plants. They are very interesting perennial bushes from South America that put out a beautiful, and amazingly sweet, delicious edible flower, followed by a tangy, oblong green fruit at the end of fall. My grapes are also flowering and setting fruit, the fig tree has a decent first crop ripening, and all the roses are in full bloom now. Tonight we will be enjoying our first meal of artichoke from the garden, along with some wild trout my buddy caught in the river, which we will be smoking, yum!

IMAG0454
IMAG0455
IMAG0456
IMAG0457
IMAG0458
IMAG0459
IMAG0462
IMAG0465
IMAG0466
bigcheese510

bigcheese510

wow. wow. you get down bro. i love your style. id love to smoke your flowers blaze. they look flawless. in last years crop which strain had the purple hairs? also which strain was that GINORMOUS purple bud? hats off to you brother. i have without a doubt in my mind you will pull of an epic season my friend.

KitsapGrapeApe

KitsapGrapeApe

dude those artichokes look great man, beautiful size and shape.

Mogrow

Mogrow

light dep grow is getting with the program Blaze. Alot of work, but you're a farmer, and that's what we do.
love the old cedar for the pepper beds.
man u rolled out some big mammas last year/whoa.....
i'm eating tomates, peppers and potatoes out of the garden, the giant pumpkins are taking off too.
keep them updates coming bro.

Blaze

Blaze

wow. wow. you get down bro. i love your style. id love to smoke your flowers blaze. they look flawless. in last years crop which strain had the purple hairs? also which strain was that GINORMOUS purple bud? hats off to you brother. i have without a doubt in my mind you will pull of an epic season my friend.

The purple/pink haired bud is the Guava Kush. It is one of my crosses I've been running the last few years. Several people commented on how it reeked like guava or tropical fruit after I did the first few test plants of it and the name sort of stuck. Lineage is Hawaiian Afghan x (Purps x Killer Queen.) The giant purple bud is (Purps x Killer Queen) x Grape Krush. Usually the buds are green a smaller though - that one was a recessive pheno of it.

Thanks for the interest and compliments all, it is always appreciated.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

nice. do all the phenos push out pink/purple hairs? so beautiful just looking at it i can only imgaine smoking it to. you do great work and im highly impressed. thank you for sharing blaze

Blaze

Blaze

Most of the phenos do the pink hairs - about 80% or so. I'm doing some F2s of it this year and it's been about 50/50 with the pink hair. It's one of my favorites for personal smoke - tastes and smells just like guava fruit and is quite potent.

bigcheese510

bigcheese510

thats an impressive number. never seen that in person, only in photos. do you have any shots of it dry and do the hairs stay that color when dry?

Top Bottom