caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
:woot:

Hugelike

Blaze

Blaze

Great run blaze, i think better than last y so far, is it?

Hard to say. The largest plants like the Pineapple and Lemon Jack are about as big as last season. However some of the others are smaller - the Guava Kush clones for example that had some flowering issues early on are only about 8' tall and wide now, last year they were several feet taller and wider than they are now. . Taken as an average I still think they are smaller than last year. Lot can happen in the last few months though, if we have a nice fall that will help tremendously. If we have a bad fall with lots of rain and mold and mildew it can really take it's toll on the yield, even if the plants are big. The light dep was definitely a lot better than last years though, we got somewhere between 25% and 50% more out of the same space so that helps make up the difference.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Few shots from yesterday of the full season outdoor ladies. Everything is shifting into flower mode now, even the late strains. Will be starting to trim up the light dep on Monday or Tuesday. Came out really good if I don't say so myself, very sticky and frosty, smells great, and the dry and cure was much better than last year since the climate control was more precise in the drying space.
View attachment 331994View attachment 331995View attachment 331996View attachment 331997View attachment 331998View attachment 331999View attachment 332000View attachment 332001View attachment 332002

Hey Blaze, I think you have said it before,,but I have to ask again,
You dont prune the insides of those big bushes?

Thanks

Blaze

Blaze

Hey Blaze, I think you have said it before,,but I have to ask again,
You dont prune the insides of those big bushes?

Thanks

Oh yeah, pruning is critical, especially with larger plants, the insides on all these are totally hollowed out. Proper pruning helps the plants grow larger and faster, helps control your canopy, makes for larger, more filled out flowers at the end of the season, and helps reduce mold, mildew, and other fungus. It is the same technique and philosophy that is used in orchard management, pruning helps ensure a better crop and a healthier plant. I will try to remember to snap a picture of the insides next time I am in the garden.

baba G

baba G

bean sprouts are tasty
Oh yeah, pruning is critical, especially with larger plants, the insides on all these are totally hollowed out. Proper pruning helps the plants grow larger and faster, helps control your canopy, makes for larger, more filled out flowers at the end of the season, and helps reduce mold, mildew, and other fungus. It is the same technique and philosophy that is used in orchard management, pruning helps ensure a better crop and a healthier plant. I will try to remember to snap a picture of the insides next time I am in the garden.
I do my north, south, west, east arms on my plants. Clean up suckers like an orchard and thin her out! Just imagine the valley with cannabis instead of nuts & fruits...lol

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Great answers you guys. Thanks.
I am pruning the insides of all my plants better this year.
Took me a few years to learn that one.;)

Blaze

Blaze

Snapped a few pics this week. I replanted the light dep greenhouse half with Skywalker OG and half with Sour Diesel. They are much smaller than the plants for the main crop were, but it should still be a nice little bonus. I've had my lights in the greenhouse running to try to keep them from flowering and get a bit more size to them. I think I will turn them off this week though to let them start to do their thing.

Full season plants are progressing nicely. Top dressed with a bunch of Mocha 4-6-2 guano about two week ago and will be applying a high phos gunao here in a week to finish them off. I will also be finishing them with Foundation 21, a locally made carbo loading product. It is one of the only bottled products I still use. No major pest issues so far but I will be spraying with bT, Cease, and Stylet oil here soon to make sure it stays that way. Earliest plants are probably 4-5 weeks out, with the bulk of the harvest at least 6 weeks out. The largest plant this year is the Mendo Pineapple, which is now over 12' tall and 12' wide. My partner DaaDude is about 6' 2" to give a sense of scale to the last photo. Fairly sure this will prove the be the largest plant I have grown so far. In fact most of the plants have gotten so big I will have to set some grape stakes outside the beds and put up more horta-nova trellis netting this week. This is good, but it is going to be a LOT of additional work. When they get this large it gets a lot harder to maintain the plants properly - it takes two people on orchard ladders to get the horta-nova up and over the plants now. If and when it goes legal and plant numbers don't matter I don't think I would grow anything larger than 6 feet tall.

Got a few food pics too of course. First pic is of the best damn pork chop I've ever had. It was a locally raised, organic pork chop from Mendocino Organics. I was a little skeptical of them due to the high price, but holy crap they were incredible, and worth every penny. It had some of the best flavor of any cut I've meat I've ever worked with - all I did was brine it in a garlic and black pepper brine, pan fry it, and then make some pan gravy with the drippings. That was all it needed. Served it up with some caramelized onions, and mashed potatoes and corn from my parent's garden. Second shot is of a Tuscan style roasted pork belly that was marinated with garlic, fennel seed, lemon zest and white wine and then roasted till the top was nice and crispy. Good stuff.

Been trying to get better about eating decently this fall. I always get so overwhelmed during harvest doing 12+ hour days for nearly a month straight with usually few if any days off, that I never have time to cook. We usually end up eating lots of frozen crap like pizzas and what not, which taste like shit and are not all that healthy. For the next few weeks every time I make something I am storing half of it for Oct so we have good food in the freezer. Over the weekend my wife and I put up a half gallon jar of pickles, two dozen figs stuffed with goat cheese and honey and wrapped in proscuitto, and I've got several batches of confit going now too. I love confit, it is a great way to preserve meats for up to months at a time. Just finished up a quart jar of duck confit yesterday, and I have 7 lbs of pork loin confit on the stove today. Planning on making some 'Novajo' meathloafs and Eggplant, Mozarella, and Saffron Risotto cassaroles to freeze this week as well. The goal is to get about two dozen good gourmet meals frozen before the end of the month.

IMAG0404
IMAG0410
IMAG0411
IMAG0416
IMAG0390
IMAG0401

CBDEMON

CBDEMON

12 feet tall and 12 feet wide...wow! Straight pushing the limits of the plant's growth potential! ...And the gourmet meals, sheesh. You've got extraordinary skills sir!

Don Peppy

Don Peppy

The plants look outstanding!.. the meal looks mighty tastey.. I would need a whole loaf of crusty bread for myself!.. I wouldn't dare leave a drop of gravy behind.. And I bet a slice of that pork belly would go good with that bread.. Enjoy.. Peace

Blaze

Blaze

wow! huge plants man! really great work, what's the yield expectancy for this 12f monster? and did you ever grow bigger?

I would guess that bed will hit 10+ # assuming we have no major issues until harvest. I've grown wider plants, but not taller. Tallest one last year was about 11.5', but I had a few that hit 14' wide, which was the biggest I had ever grown. I know since the Pineapple has a heavy sativa influence it will probably keep stretching for a while, wouldn't be surprised if it hits 13' tall or more. Larger plant does not always mean more yield though - I would bet my bed of Lemon Jack will be my top yielder again, just like the last two seasons. Even though it stays smaller (it is probably 2' or 3' shorter than the Pineapple), it has a very compact structure and produces a lot of tops resulting in a higher yield. The Pineapple tends to have a very lanky, open structure and produces smaller buds, resulting in a very large plant, that still yields well, but not quite as much as you might think for how big it gets.

Believe it or not I have a buddy that has bigger plants than these this year - in fact his are the biggest I've seen this season, period. I'll see if he will let me snap a few pics to share. My plants got big this year but I know they could be even bigger with a few tweaks and improvements next season.

Blaze

Blaze

12 feet tall and 12 feet wide...wow! Straight pushing the limits of the plant's growth potential! ...And the gourmet meals, sheesh. You've got extraordinary skills sir!

The plants look outstanding!.. the meal looks mighty tastey.. I would need a whole loaf of crusty bread for myself!.. I wouldn't dare leave a drop of gravy behind.. And I bet a slice of that pork belly would go good with that bread.. Enjoy.. Peace

damn dude/// u hitting on all cylinders..
thanks for sharing.

Hey thanks for stopping by guys, the kind words are always appreciated.

Blaze

Blaze

Been good just really busy. Harvest is almost here! I did take a few pics but they were from almost two weeks ago, things have progressed a bit since then. For some reason the website isn't letting me upload photos anymore? I keep getting an error message every time.

Blaze

Blaze

OK managed to get some shot uploaded, but it is still buggy. Only let me do one pic at a time and still didn't work 80% of the time...

Got a few shots of some of the larger plants in the garden. First pic is of the Guava Kush and Blueberry Pie beds. Next two are close ups of the Guava Kush. The buds are a LOT bigger now though, need to get some more current pics. Fourth shot is of the Blueberry x Northern Lights, Mendo Pineapple, and Lemon Jack all in a row. Fifth is the Mendo Pineapple Bed, and next is the Lemon Jack and Mendo Pineapple next to each other.

Had a light rain last week but it wasn't too bad, only got one cracked branch. Did have a bunch of budworms show up two week ago as well, but it seems like the bT has taken care of them. For some odd reason they love the Lemon Jack - 90% of the damage in the garden was on that plant, lost probably 20+ tops on that bed to the little bastards.

Still doing compost tea once a week with the addition of Foundation 21 once a week. They all got top dressed with high phos gunao about 2 weeks ago as well to finish them off. I am thinking the first plant will be ready in about a week and a half, with the bulk of the garden being finished in about 2.5-3.5 weeks. Usually between the first and third week of Oct is when most things finish in my spot.

Last two shots are of some recent food. Did Tandori Chicken and Aloo Gobi for the first time the other night. Final shot is of one of my favorite recipes - a Thai Beef Salad I did for a job. It was made with grilled lemon grass marinated beef, pickled carrots, sliced cucumber, chopped mint, cilantro, and green onion, served over Udon noodles with a spicy peanut dressing.

IMAG0442
IMAG0443
IMAG0445
IMAG0446
IMAG0447
IMAG0448
IMAG0455
IMAG0440

Top Bottom