Blue Kripple - Ceveres' Grow Diary #2

• Thread starter Ceveres
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Ever ran Dr. Krippling gear?

• Total voters
Ceveres

Ceveres

Diablo looks like a damn fine time. I gotta get a better flash so I can take better frost pics like that.

And sweet and fruity strains are some of my favorites to just enjoy. A lot of the most flavorful fruity strains I've had haven't been super potent but they were always a pleasure to smoke and damn could they make a fine dab.

The best ones I've had potency wise though were the sweet and fruity ones with a sharp clean sourness to them.

Around here though I'm just grateful to have something that isn't either compressed reggie or poorly cured, kiefed, third shelf, over dried bud.

I'm definitely watching this to see what that diablo does. That mystery girl doesn't look like a slouch either.
The Diablo is definitely the keeper of the 2 cuts I originally received to get my garden going again. Based off of the way it looked late flower with the foxtailing I experienced, I wasn't sure if I would keep it. But after smoking the finished product, I'm leaning more to dropping the mystery for extra room in the stable. I've got to give them at least one more go before I decide tho. Third times a charm right? Lol I feel like I haven't done the mystery total justice yet so I want to try one last time before I dump it.

If you were local I would kick ya back a few clones of the Diablo. Gonna end up having to cull a few to stay in numbers naw-mean? Picking up what I'm layin down? Ya dig? :cry: Im stoned Lmao Better safe than sorry so i always take too many clones.

Ceveres

Ceveres

Yea my light came with a 3100k bulb and I haven't had to replace it yet. Maybe before it's life is totally up I'll try 4100k veg and swap out after stretch? Limitless options :cool:

Ceveres

Ceveres

What's good farmers? A lovely autumn day here in MI. Only seen a few flurries so far this year; nothing has stuck, but the leaves have hit the ground. I'll have to chop some up and load my compost up with some more brown material. Kinda heavy on green material; kitchen scraps, and dead MJ leaves and stems.

The job I'm at today..
20171114 164637

20171114 164702

Alright I saved myself a bit of work. Well postponed my work rather. I rotated my garden 90° instead of swapping veg and flower rooms around. I will probably still do that, but I'll wait for this run to finish to make it a little easier. Doing this allowed me to raise my lights another 8", which I desperately needed. Now my footprint is spread a little wider and I won't be frying my tallest colas.
20171113 022334

20171113 022316

Got some foam and insulated the walls, and raised my pots up off the ground with upside down plant saucers. Trying to combat the cold any way I can that doesn't cost me every month.

20171112 212634

20171113 022140

20171112 212615

20171112 212436

20171113 022214

@Ecompost , @Wisher619 , Is this P deficiency? I know I've given enough P with liquid bone meal and High P Sea bird guano top dressing. Could it be locked out from cold temperatures? I can't imagine it being depleted already. Could too much P lock itself out? Or does too much of any other nutrient lock out P? I'm starting week 6 of flower today and will being starting a water only regimen in about a week or so. Should I wait it out for my water only pre-harvest flush? Or flush them now?

Besides that little bit of "trouble", everything is moving along nicely. I'm hoping I'll see a large swell this week and next, otherwise I might need to take these 9 weeks. Of course I'll have to start checking the trichomes here in a week or so to really find out when they want to come down though.

Happy farming and bountiful yields to all!
Peace - Cev

Wisher619

Wisher619

What's good farmers? A lovely autumn day here in MI. Only seen a few flurries so far this year; nothing has stuck, but the leaves have hit the ground. I'll have to chop some up and load my compost up with some more brown material. Kinda heavy on green material; kitchen scraps, and dead MJ leaves and stems.

The job I'm at today..
View attachment 757694
View attachment 757695

Alright I saved myself a bit of work. Well postponed my work rather. I rotated my garden 90° instead of swapping veg and flower rooms around. I will probably still do that, but I'll wait for this run to finish to make it a little easier. Doing this allowed me to raise my lights another 8", which I desperately needed. Now my footprint is spread a little wider and I won't be frying my tallest colas.
View attachment 757667
View attachment 757668

Got some foam and insulated the walls, and raised my pots up off the ground with upside down plant saucers. Trying to combat the cold any way I can that doesn't cost me every month.

View attachment 757670
View attachment 757671
View attachment 757672
View attachment 757673
View attachment 757669

@Ecompost , @Wisher619 , Is this P deficiency? I know I've given enough P with liquid bone meal and High P Sea bird guano top dressing. Could it be locked out from cold temperatures? I can't imagine it being depleted already. Could too much P lock itself out? Or does too much of any other nutrient lock out P? I'm starting week 6 of flower today and will being starting a water only regimen in about a week or so. Should I wait it out for my water only pre-harvest flush? Or flush them now?

Besides that little bit of "trouble", everything is moving along nicely. I'm hoping I'll see a large swell this week and next, otherwise I might need to take these 9 weeks. Of course I'll have to start checking the trichomes here in a week or so to really find out when they want to come down though.

Peace - Cev
looks like Mg to me but could be wrong
being that late in flower there is no "Fixing it"
just gonna have to ride it out

Ceveres

Ceveres

Here's a better pic of the leaves displaying what looks like start of P def to me. Oddly enough, this plant is blowing up. It has the BIGGEST colas I've ever seen in person and they aren't close to done yet. Well you couldn't rightfully call a strain Big Bud if it didn't have well.. big buds.. lol But I was unsure how much Big Bud would come thru in the mix of Big Bud × Medicine Man × Blue Rhino.
20171114 181645

20171114 181638

On a side note, do you guys let these critters hang out in your indoor gardens? I'm fairly certain he's no harm, and might even eat a few fungus gnats. What's the consensus?
20171114 180812

Wisher619

Wisher619

Here's a better pic of the leaves displaying what looks like start of P def to me. Oddly enough, this plant is blowing up. It has the BIGGEST colas I've ever seen in person and they aren't close to done yet. Well you couldn't rightfully call a strain Big Bud if it didn't have well.. big buds.. lol But I was unsure how much Big Bud would come thru in the mix of Big Bud × Medicine Man × Blue Rhino.
View attachment 757704
View attachment 757705

On a side note, do you guys let these critters hang out in your indoor gardens? I'm fairly certain he's no harm, and might even eat a few fungus gnats. What's the consensus? View attachment 757712
to me it looks like textbook Mg/S deficiency
I let cellar spiders hang out....as long as they dont web my buds

Ceveres

Ceveres

being that late in flower there is no "Fixing it"
just gonna have to ride it out
That very well could be, I don't use any kind of cal-mag product or epsom salts. I'm trying to use up my Nectar for the Gods nutrients while I learn to move away from them. They are a calcium based line, so I never thought I would have an issue with that, but magnesium I didn't even think of. At this point, I will probably give them 1 tea per week for the next 2 weeks, and feed them 2 or 3 times before they just get water. You don't think it would be worth trying a bit of Epsom salts?

I normally use rain water, but I ran out and bought some R.O. filtered water. That could be why they are looking this way. Maybe bubble out some tap water for the last little bit of the grow?

Wisher619

Wisher619

That very well could be, I don't use any kind of cal-mag product or epsom salts. I'm trying to use up my Nectar for the Gods nutrients while I learn to move away from them. They are a calcium based line, so I never thought I would have an issue with that, but magnesium I didn't even think of. At this point, I will probably give them 1 tea per week for the next 2 weeks, and feed them 2 or 3 times before they just get water. You don't think it would be worth trying a bit of Epsom salts?

I normally use rain water, but I ran out and bought some R.O. filtered water. That could be why they are looking this way. Maybe bubble out some tap water for the last little bit of the grow?
well if you are using ro then most likely you are stripping all available nutrients from the soil
also when Ca levels get to high it will effect Mg and S goes along with Mg

you could def use epsom salts I would say @ 1g per gal of water
if you are just using water you should use a buffer like Calcium/Magnesium Carbonate

remember
Water is an electrical conduit
RO holds no Electricity
if you introduce electricity in the form of ions*nutrients* it will def accumulate those nutrients and carry them away

IMO
with organics
you always want to go heavy with Ca/Mg/P
those 3 can be used up in a hurry....or become locked out
where as in Hydro
things like P are so a ailable you really only need approx 30-50ppm P for a successful grow

Ceveres

Ceveres

to me it looks like textbook Mg/S deficiency
I let cellar spiders hang out....as long as they dont web my buds
well if you are using ro then most likely you are stripping all available nutrients from the soil
also when Ca levels get to high it will effect Mg and S goes along with Mg

you could def use epsom salts I would say @ 1g per gal of water
if you are just using water you should use a buffer like Calcium/Magnesium Carbonate

remember
Water is an electrical conduit
RO holds no Electricity
if you introduce electricity in the form of ions*nutrients* it will def accumulate those nutrients and carry them away

IMO
with organics
you always want to go heavy with Ca/Mg/P
those 3 can be used up in a hurry....or become locked out
where as in Hydro
things like P are so a ailable you really only need approx 30-50ppm P for a successful grow

That makes a lot of sense actually. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and parts per million (ppm) are just calculations of the electrical conductivity (EC). Nutrients being ions that raise the value of EC/TDS/ppm. I'm learning about Cation exchange capacity (CEC) which is basically the potential of what a substrate can hold as far as positive and negative ions (cations/anions). I may be a little off on that. But in a similar fashion as with coco, the CEC needs to be fulfilled before it can hold any nutrient. That's why people "charge" coco.

I added extra dolomite lime when I mixed my soil, so I don't think it is a matter of not having enough Mg, as much as it is just locked up from too low of ph. I'm going to do a slurrie test when I get home to see what the ph in the root zone is sitting at right now. I have been ph-ing my feedings to 6.4, but I suppose if I haven't been giving enough water with each feeding, then the medium could build up spots of nutrient density.

Thank you for helping out @Wisher619

Wisher619

Wisher619

That makes a lot of sense actually. Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) and parts per million (ppm) are just calculations of the electrical conductivity (EC). Nutrients being ions that raise the value of EC/TDS/ppm. I'm learning about Cation exchange capacity (CEC) which is basically the potential of what a substrate can hold as far as positive and negative ions (cations/anions). I may be a little off on that. But in a similar fashion as with coco, the CEC needs to be fulfilled before it can hold any nutrient. That's why people "charge" coco.

I added extra dolomite lime when I mixed my soil, so I don't think it is a matter of not having enough Mg, as much as it is just locked up from too low of ph. I'm going to do a slurrie test when I get home to see what the ph in the root zone is sitting at right now. I have been ph-ing my feedings to 6.4, but I suppose if I haven't been giving enough water with each feeding, then the medium could build up spots of nutrient density.

Thank you for helping out @Wisher619
if you added lime your medium ph should be good to go
in organics I never ph my feed water as both the medium and rhizosphere will regulate ph values

but yes watering practices can contribute to deficiencies
so can a lack of fungi/bacteria
there are many variables when you cant control all uptake with minerals and ph
when you leave the feeding to the micoflora sometimes things just dont go right

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
View attachment 757704
View attachment 757705

On a side note, do you guys let these critters hang out in your indoor gardens? I'm fairly certain he's no harm, and might even eat a few fungus gnats. What's the consensus? View attachment 757712
Hey is the deficient plant under the cmh light?

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
Yes actually the 2 showing similar symptoms are both under the CMH. You think the UV A/B IS frying them?
Hey bud I’m not exactly sure, I’m on my first run with cmh lighting and have a sativa leaning plant I have never grown doing the same thing yours is doing.

GrowGod

GrowGod

BANNED!
Supporter
I will get some picks tonight when lights on. The buds look fine l, just the leaves hit something weird going on

Ecompost

Ecompost

The job I'm at today..
View attachment 757694
View attachment 757695

View attachment 757667
View attachment 757668

View attachment 757670
View attachment 757671
View attachment 757672
View attachment 757673
View attachment 757669

Peace - Cev
What has changed in the room apart from the light and rotation I mean. i am thinking environmental.
Does your bone meal have a C/N number? Something like 3.5:1 ...this might change depending on the processing practice, eg steamed or not.

Its hard to diagnose plant nutrient matters from pictures i find, but an excess salt level can antagonize Mg and K uptake among others. Where we have persistent low temps we may struggle to activate some of the elements like P which require more energy to be mobilized, this can lead to an accumulation, and higher levels of P might be causing some problems.
P is very unstable as an element, its the thing in tracer rounds, it only has to be in air to ignite and burn forever right?P constantly tries to bind to all sorts from calcium to Fe, Aluminum and so on. The more P we add, the larger the fixed pool of P becomes and the more P we need to add to keep levels right for plants.

this might help you understand P in soils, just in case you needed to better understand it

You might also consider the impacts of high levels of P with regards the stability of symbiosis reference any Mycos you might be adding or using. Mycos are the answer to long term P supply since they secrete organic acids that can free all ranges or bound P. also they (mycos) dont consume Al or cadmium for example, so these elements can be screened from uptake by your plant.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2013.00426/full

for my money its environmental and so this has altered the plant via too much evaporation or not enough turgor to take non mobile elements to the very extremes of the plant. Day night temps will help you right turgor off :-)

Last edited:
Ceveres

Ceveres

What has changed in the room apart from the light and rotation I mean. i am thinking environmental.
Does your bone meal have a C/N number? Something like 3.5:1 ...this might change depending on the processing practice, eg steamed or not.

Its hard to diagnose plant nutrient matters from pictures i find, but an excess salt level can antagonize Mg and K uptake among others. Where we have persistent low temps we may struggle to activate some of the elements like P which require more energy to be mobilized, this can lead to an accumulation, and higher levels of P might be causing some problems.
P is very unstable as an element, its the thing in tracer rounds, it only has to be in air to ignite and burn forever right?P constantly tries to bind to all sorts from calcium to Fe, Aluminum and so on. The more P we add, the larger the fixed pool of P becomes and the more P we need to add to keep levels right for plants.

this might help you understand P in soils, just in case you needed to better understand it

You might also consider the impacts of high levels of P with regards the stability of symbiosis reference any Mycos you might be adding or using. Mycos are the answer to long term P supply since they secrete organic acids that can free all ranges or bound P. also they (mycos) dont consume Al or cadmium for example, so these elements can be screened from uptake by your plant.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fpls.2013.00426/full

for my money its environmental and so this has altered the plant via too much evaporation or not enough turgor to take non mobile elements to the very extremes of the plant. Day night temps will help you right turgor off :)

I appreciate you taking the time to respond to me, thank you. I will have to read up on P and the other link you shared once im out of work.

As far as environmental factors that have changed beside my rotating the plants and light, outdoor temps here are approaching freezing. Before adding the foam insulation to the concrete walls my day/night temps would swing between 50° and 76°F approx. Additionally, the plant's containers were directly on the cold basement floor. About a week or so ago I added the foam to the walls and propped the plants up with upside down saucers. Since then temperatures have been more steady at approx 76°F with lights on, and close to 61-62°F at night.

Also this run I am using Mammoth P samples, but was warned about it possibly burning your plant, so I have only been using half the recommended dose. As for now, I'm cutting it out to lessen the number of variables.

One more thing that has changed is I combined a 1cup Alfalfa and 1/4cup kelp meal, 1/4cup high P seabird guano tea to my Progressive Farms compost tea brew. (I brew the sea bird guano by its self) They work wonders individually, but I wonder if the combo is too much at once? I didn't think it was excessive.

C/N being carbon/nitrogen content? I'm not exactly sure. I'll see if I can find anything online, or I can look at it when I get home

Out of work now so I have some reading to do... hehe

Ceveres

Ceveres

Also I forgot to add that I did a slurry test with 2oz soil and 2oz of ph7 water on the plant that looks the absolute worst. It came out PH 6.6 and around 450ppm which is very acceptable. That seems to rule out PH at least.

Top Bottom