Bluzboy Cure Room Pics After Harvest And De-fanning

• Thread starter Bluzboy
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Junk

Junk

cedar is a natural bug repellant too..

I realize this is a bit old, but cedar is not any more insect/pest repellant than any other wood. Given the choice, termites will choose something else. But they will eat the cedar if that's whats available. It does't "repel" anything, different than other cut woods may, or should I say, it doesn't have any more resistance to # of pests than any other wood.

It was used so often for closets/chests etc because it's a natural air freshener. Also, wood cut at the right time tends to naturally bond together, making many cedar rooms moisture tight. Supposedly, this is what started the idea that insects/pests didn't like it. People would open their chest & find it clear of spider webs etc. It's because, compared to other woods, the cedar formed a pretty water right seal. The wood itself is also pretty "resistant" to moisture, or at least to it's effects. Expansion/contraction is lower than most woods, because of the sap production. Some animals don't like Cedar, but some don't like Oak...know what I mean?

It's beautiful stuff, don't get me wrong, I'd use that room in a heart beat. Just don't want the wive's tale to continue to be passed around.

Top Bottom