BREAKING NEWS: California Lawmakers To Debate Marijuana Legalization Tomorrow!

• Thread starter Cali smoke
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

Rolln J

it isnt the tax that I disagree with on richard lees bill - its the steps backward - penalties for over an ounce with go up - how can you have a 25 sq ft garden and not grow over an ounce? I have been in jail twice for pot. Having over an ounce would make me a third striker and right now I can have 8 ounces.

counties dont have to allow growing and if they do they can tax (through licensing) how the see fit... the county where I live will no doubt not allow growing as they still refuse to issue state cards and try and prosecute people for hash (myself included).

hell I already posted this but here goes again - this is dennis perons essay:
--------------------------------------

icon1.gif

Why I Oppose the “Tax & Regulate” Marijuana Initiative (by Dennis Peron)

Three Fatal Flaws

1. One ounce limit? 25 sq. foot per building garden size limit? Imagine a law to “tax and regulate” alcohol that only allows for possession of up to one bottle of wine imprisoning those who exceed that amount, be it two bottles or a small collection of choice vintages. These limits guarantee confusion, harassment and black marketeering forevermore. We don’t control alcohol by imposing a 25 sq. foot limit on grape vines. But one extra gram or sq. foot of pot means jail and even worse; this initiative specifies that if accused of having too much cannabis the burden of proof is on you, not the state.

2. Singling out those who want to use marijuana for a huge excise tax is just plain unfair. It maintains cannabis as the most expensive, blatantly overpriced product on the market thus forcing most people to choose cheaper, more dangerous drugs with huge externalized costs to society as a whole.

3. Sending teenagers to state prison for three years for pot is evil. This initiative mandates that 18, 19, and twenty year old minors serve three to seven year terms in California state prison for the crime of passing each other a joint or selling one another a small amount. Under this law if a 21 year old person passes a joint to a 20 year old he or she goes to county jail for six months. Likewise this measure has no exceptions for parents in their own homes from the “smoking cannabis in any space while minors are present” prohibition. We don’t lock up parents for having a glass of wine with dinner and we certainly don’t tell the kids to leave the house for the purpose of consuming any other substance so why start with cannabis?

This initiative is bad for parents, students and ultimately the effort to get the state to stop ruining lives enforcing these draconian pot laws. Initiatives create permanent statutes. This one with its petty restrictions for personal users, prohibitive unfair taxes, and mandatory state prison sentences for teen agers need be nipped in the bud. We will campaign and vote against it should its proponents succeed in purchasing the necessary number of signatures to put it on the 2010 ballot. The tax revenue it will supposedly generate is a mere smokescreen for the kids it will regulate into three, five and seven year state prison sentences.

Perpetuating and increasing the hundred million plus tax dollars per year the state already spends policing this harmless plant is wrong yet that is exactly what this proposition does. Surely we can do better than this. How about just legalizing it, getting the state off pot to save lives and real money across the board? Please consider how you can help expose and defeat this misleading “tax and regulate” initiative.

Dennis Peron, Author of Proposition 215, the Compassionate Use Act of 1996.
-------------------------------------------------------------------

Tom Amiano from SF is trying to get a bill to senate (sb390) and Jack Herer also backs a separate petition to get a proposition on the bill...

Im hardly anti-legalization - just not for that option!

H

headband707

Nice J yeah I don't see how it's going to go any other way but I am damn sure that the Gov. is going to make us regret we let them in this game . MARK MY WORDS lol lol. That is my only point but were are on lock down and this has to stop, for all the ppl that are in jail and the ppl they are trying to put in jail. I just wonder if these bills will release the ppl that are already in jail? peace out Headband707

V

v0ssman

thanks J, Ive had the same outlook ever since I heard about these "Reasonable restrictions". I would love to see california try and take the reigns on new progressive legislation. Colorado and Spain make us look really bad :smiley_joint: I would love to have the legal make up of both places!

R

Rolln J

I just wonder if these bills will release the ppl that are already in jail? peace out Headband707

THIS is a major sticking point for me - we need to make sure any new law incarcerates less people - not more and for longer!

thanks J, Ive had the same outlook ever since I heard about these "Reasonable restrictions". I would love to see california try and take the reigns on new progressive legislation. Colorado and Spain make us look really bad :smiley_joint: I would love to have the legal make up of both places!

yeah its tough - I said previously in this thread - I never thought I would vote against a bill to legalize pot - but I will if it makes it to the ballot!

S

Smokin

Yea J, it's all just speculation until like yourself... you live there... and have to live with it. Strike 3 --- VERY scary! I'd be looking hard --- listening close --- and taking baby steps.

O

oldtimer60

Being an old farm boy who was brought up on nursery, the crimson king maple and the sunburst locust are patented plants

K

kushpheen

Exactly ! thats what i hate about the whole thing they ruin it in everyway ...i sure hope they cant patent strains theres is way to much variation and i dont think you can patent plants and animals

Well, Ive heard of genetically modified corn being patented and nearby farmers being sued for using that particular strain after unknowingly having their crop germinated from the patented corn strain. Since tobacco companies knowingly add multiple poisons to their products and cannabis is to be regulated by the same authorities. Who will stop them from poisoning our cannabis?

I urge everybody to read SB390 carefully and ask themselves if they want to deal with the headaches associated when the government, whether it be local or federal, tries to 'regulate' an industry......

K

kushpheen

So either its taxed and regulated or its illegal. Thats realistically the only two real options

It sounds like this bill kills 2 birds but only gets 1 stoned. By that I mean the state gets to tax and regulate, while law enforcement will still get to enforce the new and more strict laws. Its a lose, lose.

L

Lost

Hey, I dunno if this has been pointed out, but I think that soon the appellate court will ammend sb420 removing the limits. As I understand you cannot provide protctions to a set of people and then put limits on that protection. That is unconstitutional, to my understanding. So, I sumbit that the bill is flawed putting limits on a protection granted...

K

kushpheen

Nice Lost, that hasn't been pointed out to me or local law enforcement it seems.....

H

HypnoToad

I'll have you all know that California Law enforcement follows a strict policy of doing what the fuck they want, and trust me, they follow it to the letter.

HT

H

headband707

Atleast in Cali you guys have the Dr.'s backing you . Here in Canada they act like they will lose their licence to practise if they help you with growing bud. They are already talking about dropping the grow program they started with ppl and they will be the only ppl suppling bud.That means that all the ppl that told the cops they have a grow will be exposed .. Now we have it now we don't .. what pricks. Then they give out slanted info about bud and tell the Dr.'s that it has no medical benifits. The opposite of what they Americans College of Phy. paper on marijuana. WTF!! hopefully there will be a smart Lawyer that brings this shit to trail and changes the Laws. Canada is starting to really suck!! lol peace out Headband707

H

HypnoToad

Atleast in Cali you guys have the Dr.'s backing you . Here in Canada they act like they will lose their licence to practise if they help you with growing bud. They are already talking about dropping the grow program they started with ppl and they will be the only ppl suppling bud.That means that all the ppl that told the cops they have a grow will be exposed .. Now we have it now we don't .. what pricks. Then they give out slanted info about bud and tell the Dr.'s that it has no medical benifits. The opposite of what they Americans College of Phy. paper on marijuana. WTF!! hopefully there will be a smart Lawyer that brings this shit to trail and changes the Laws. Canada is starting to really suck!! lol peace out Headband707

Dude, that sucks. I feel for you. You are absolutely right that we are more than a little spoiled out here, but ask yourself this. Why should California be one of a handful of places where you can get top shelf, (it's actually hard to find dirt weed now) at some of the more reasonable prices around, (relative to New York, The South, etc. where it's uuuuuuuuber expensive. 20 dollars for .7g??? Fuck that.) and smoke it in relative safety (usually)? EVERYONE deserves that.

Peace,
HT

H

headband707

That is exactly what everyone is afraid of Hypnotoad the prices going up lol.. We all think they are high as it is but elite strains have always been hard to find unless you know the right ppl and it doesn't come from our clubs anymore. I think lots of ppl just turned to growing here because they were sick of getting shit from their dealers and clubs.Necessity is the mother of invention.. peace out Headband707

M

mrdizzle

this bill really sucks, i doubt it will pass. all the taxes collected will be evened out by the cost to regulate and prosocute

H

HypnoToad

Hmmm that's a good point, but I fear that Pandora's Box has been opened. And let's face it; it is an accepted social norm to overtax vices in America. Weed, unfortunately, will never be legalized without being taxed. Too many politicians are seeing dollar signs from Ca figures alone. We generate billions every year in marijuana revenue. Look at it another way form the devil's point of view: Our government is broke, while at the same time society is embracing a lot of more unconventional methods to solve today's problems. There is just no way they will let us keep what they view as a never ending smokable CASH COW.

Maybe if the government milked balls the way they milk my wallet I wouldn't complain so much.

Peace,
HT

R

Rimbaud

Earliest report I have heard is they are going to limit it to 186 within city limits as that is the number that are legally registered. So wave 1 will be to shut down non-compliance. Then they will further limit that to 70 and weed out any of those that are not within strict compliance and meet a geographical need.

seems sort of bogus to me very trixxie...

http://hometestingblog.testcountry.com/?p=5382r

K

kushpheen

I wanted to start a new thread about this story, maybe a moderator will jump in....
I would love to hear how socal feels about this..........

By GREG RISLING, Associated Press Writer Greg Risling, Associated Press Writer – Wed Dec 9, 4:49 pm ET

LOS ANGELES – The Los Angeles City Council delayed a vote Wednesday on a medical marijuana ordinance that could close hundreds of pot dispensaries across the city.

The council asked planning officials to return next week with zoning maps that show how many pot dispensaries could close if the city bans the shops within 500 feet of homes, schools and public gathering sites.

The council is wrestling with setting that distance at 500 feet or 1,000 feet. Some members feel a 1,000-foot limit would banish pot clinics to industrial areas.

Council members indicated a vote could come in January on the law providing guidelines for pot dispensaries in the nation's second-largest city.

The city has fumbled previous attempts to adopt a pot law in the past two years.

"Let's just make a real informed decision," Councilman Ed Reyes said.

City officials estimate as many as 1,000 dispensaries operate in Los Angeles. Only four were open in 2005, when city officials first began discussing a local medical marijuana law.

Among the proposed provisions is capping the number of dispensaries at 70 — a move that would shutter many shops that don't comply with the new law.

An estimated 137 dispensaries that registered before a moratorium was enacted in 2007 also would be allowed to remain open if they meet other requirements in the new law.

The 2007 moratorium was never enforced, with many pot clinics taking advantage of a hardship exemption that allowed them to open while awaiting city approval.

The proposed ordinance would allow cash reimbursement at the clinics, even though Los Angeles County District Attorney Steve Cooley has said he will go after pot dispensaries involved in over-the-counter sales.

Cooley interprets the state medical marijuana law as allowing only possession, use and cultivation of marijuana, but sales.

A Superior Court judge took a similar stance last week, signaling he would bar a dispensary from selling the drug because he believes it violates state law.

Fourteen states, including California, permit medical marijuana, but pot remains illegal under federal law.

T

twiztedkush99

Keep it on the real, the goverment is already got its hands on the tax money in cali yet the feds aint going at them in putting them in jail or legal matters,and then marinol is legal? wtf so much of this is really TWIZTED, peace 420

DoobieDuck

DoobieDuck

Premium Member
Supporter
Karma to all of you fighting down south...you do good work..DD

Top Bottom