Breeders Die

• Thread starter Calicannabiseed
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Illmind

Illmind

never said the gene pool isn't getting watered down, i think everyone will agree on that, especially if you've ran old school almost pure lines before and compare with the new. look at human genetics back in the conquering days and slave days they'd fuck up ppls heritage on purpose and to this day their genetic influence is still seen.

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Some Good News...

There are 52,000 G hits for "landrace strain" and the search topic is driven by mj growers and/or breeders. There's clearly some serious interest in procuring, growing, and preserving the old, naturalized strains.

I have a friend who dropped his first beans in 1969 and began breeding shortly thereafter. His name is not out there, he prefers to work behind the scenes, but he knows several of the major players personally, has been collecting most of his life and has a seed menu that would make most growers jaws drop.

He has a landrace stash, but what's truly impressive is his collection of old (+/-) school hybrids and in some instances beans from the original parental stock that was used in their strain development. I'm currently growing a Blueberry cut from a first (or second? not sure) generation seed that came directly from DJ Short himself some 30 years ago and a Hawaiian "Diesel" strain that predates Diesel and in fact, was a participant in the original Diesel mix.

If there's one person w/ the passion, means and ability to preserve old school genetics out there, than there must be more. Something everyone can take heart in.

M

mellokitty

friends like this^ are going to be really precious when the world is rife with ridiculously potent plants that can't hold their own heads up that are riddled with superbugs and have a 1/100 chance of some sort of plant lupus ... oh wait... (thankfully i have a few too, bc is good for that)

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

Hopefully, they're not a dying breed. Oh!! now I get it. "Breeders Die". of course. I'm so obtuse.

M

mellokitty

*lol*
and thanks for the info about the Pollan book. sounds brainfoodilicious.

C

Calicannabiseed

friends like this^ are going to be really precious when the world is rife with ridiculously potent plants that can't hold their own heads up that are riddled with superbugs and have a 1/100 chance of some sort of plant lupus ... Oh wait... (thankfully i have a few too, bc is good for that)

lmao

M

mellokitty

@ganjagardener: the universe heard us talking about mr. pollan because this link just popped up on my fb today:
"What is your food rule? Michael Pollan is writing a new edition to his best-selling Food Rules and has asked for your help. Three lucky contributors will receive a signed copy, and you may just see your rule in print!"

GanjaGardener

GanjaGardener

@ganjagardener: the universe heard us talking about mr. pollan because this link just popped up on my fb today:
"What is your food rule? Michael Pollan is writing a new edition to his best-selling Food Rules and has asked for your help. Three lucky contributors will receive a signed copy, and you may just see your rule in print!"
I love synchronicity. I'm off to check it out. gracie.
PBS link Botany of Desire
very well shot and produced!

"Shootin' for low gluten." ?? Oh well.....

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Quinoa can help with that. Our granddaughter is gluten-intolerant, it can be done.

So, how about Slow Money? Personally I think that's a better angle to take, going with new investment strategies that invest in the soil itself, the basis for our very existence.

This is a serious digression of the discussion!

Invest in the Soil Trust, you'll feel better.

Oh, my Food Rule is whole foods, i.e. as unprocessed as possible. Another food rule is LOCAL.

L

Lost

Oh, my Food Rule is whole foods, i.e. as unprocessed as possible. Another food rule is LOCAL.

Got to agree with that. Too much food is processed. I have an intestinal disease and I often wonder if its the cause of the processed foods we eat.

C

Calicannabiseed

Got to agree with that. Too much food is processed. I have an intestinal disease and I often wonder if its the cause of the processed foods we eat.

So you think the foods we eat are hurting the gene pool? I don't get this conversation

L

Lost

No, im saying the processed foods we eat don't agree with my intestines, and possibly caused my disease. The whole foods comments are OT :)

M

mellokitty

couldn't agree more. now i just need a kitchen that matches the amount of time i spend in there... :makeup
my submission was "to avoid, as much as possible, foods that are better-travelled than i am"

my best friend is gluten- AND lactose-intolerant... we think about food a LOT.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
My mother is a dietitian and it was with her and my sister's (Crohn's/IBS) help that we were able to Dx my granddaughter as gluten intolerant. The Celiac Dx cannot be made outside of some rather invasive procedures and we felt that was too much for a constantly constipated 2yo to endure. Besides, once a Dx of Celiac is made, wanna guess what the Tx is? That's right, no more gluten! So we just did it and she's a great little pooper now.

In the meantime, I've discovered that black pepper really irritates my system and causes symptoms not at all unlike gallbladder disease (or whatever it was that killed my great-grandmother... actually, that was sepsis from a gallbladder surgery back in '36).
Gluten intolerance, perhaps? Celiac can be a real killer, too.

Seriously, I've mentioned Slow Money before, I'm hoping that others will look into it because that should become the New Foundation upon which our economies are based--the soil, agriculture--rather than sending money flying around the world to invest in people and technologies that are remote from us.

I still maintain that the current status of THC-focused cannabis breeding has created a bottleneck and reduced genetic diversity. :makeup

G

gooey

i think as more people are in search of things for specific patient goals the bottleneck will open...im no expert on any of this but just think how much can happen above groun in a legit setting...peace n puffs

L

Lost

Seamaiden, they have a blood test for celiacs now. No need for the colonoscopy. The colonoscopy just checks for damage, as well as cancer (because it puts you high risk, anything that scars up your intestines is hugly increasing the cancer risk, especially colon.

At least thats how they checked me a few years back when I had an evil flare up.

M

mellokitty

Seriously, I've mentioned Slow Money before, I'm hoping that others will look into it because that should become the New Foundation upon which our economies are based--the soil, agriculture--rather than sending money flying around the world to invest in people and technologies that are remote from us.

I still maintain that the current status of THC-focused cannabis breeding has created a bottleneck and reduced genetic diversity. :makeup

i love the slow money concept. i really do think our current system of fiat currency begets the tit-for-tat, instant gratification, "what's in it for me?"-culture we in the western world live in.
i was watching a historical docu-drama the other day and there's a scene where a prior borrows some badly needed money in the dead of winter from a friendly wool merchant by promising her the spring shearing of the priory flock. ...-*jealousy*-...
not to mention, when disaster strikes and the delivery systems for various essentials fail as they inevitably do when it does, we'll find true bartering power vested in tangible goods like food and fuel.

way to segway back to the original topic! i still couldn't agree more - my faith is in the dr. atomics of this world

C

Calicannabiseed

Are breeders hurting the gene pool though? That is the focus of this thread!

G

GrapeStreet

Hurting would assume some kind of degradation of the genetic code resulting in either :

A less healthy plant, less able to survive, grow, or propogate
A less desireable plant, less capable of serving our wants

So with all the inbreeding of narcotic cannabis, you could say breeders are hurting, as they are attemting to homogenize the genotype of their strain, lowering genetic diversity an ultimately creating monocultures of homozygous genotypes, lowering the probability of mutations and inevitably hurting the plant's chances outside of the controlled environment.

Or, you could say they are hurting the gene pool by focuing on increasing THC content, juxtaposed to other traits and cannabanoids that may inevitably be linked to other, sometimes more pleasurable effects of consumption.

Or, no of course they aren't, they've taken weak, hermie sativas and converted them into juicy, fruity, stable strains, phenotypically similar or identical for an increased commercial viability and customer satisfaction.

Or, no they aren't because it's a gene pool, and thinking of it as getting "hurt" or "helped" is purely subjective and has many independent variables, componded by the exponential facets of genetics...it's impossible to hurt or help a gene pool, only can one change it.

Top Bottom