Breeding for whorls

• Thread starter Sativied
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I'm excited too. Got plenty of seeds from the CH x CH (the one with most whorlers a few rounds back) in case for some reason this next gen doesn't contain whorlers. That would surprise me but I need an early one for the time lapse so I can keep it in my veg box.

Update on my hemp... err... Late Night:

Hempbud

Hempfrost

Hempfrost2

I do like the sativa structure but it will yield poorly.
Hempcola

As you can probably tell there has been some uncontrolled pollination. This rounds is mostly just to get seeds of the next generation so I've kept the male a bit longer in there than usual.

The hemp phenos are also the tallest, here's the shortest:
Nonhemp pheno

It's going to be over 95 degrees here this week and weekend. That's very unusual... the last time it was that hot in NL was during WWII (1944). I think I'll wait a while before popping those Amnesia White seeds and using 600w again...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
It's usually around 75-80 on sunny days, 90 is already exceptional. But 95 plus... I only know that from traveling in the past. I'll be fine, I'm grateful for any sunny weather, but a lot of old people literally won't survive despite a national 'heat plan'.

Second time lapse video, I call this one Dancing Seedlings. I watched a docu long ago about how plants dance in a way that cannot be contributed to phototropism* alone.

*the orientation of a plant or other organism in response to light, either toward the source of light ( positive phototropism ) or away from it ( negative phototropism ).

Dancing Seedlings
https://vid.me/LPwY

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Opened the closet door last night and just inches in front of my nose was this tri-whorling late night:
Latewhorl
so there's a hint of the whorling in the the late night after all. If I had a garden I'd put them outside to finish the seeds. I wanted to pollinate the bottom 2-3 nodes but I clearly kept the male in there too long. Except for the top few inches it became a seed run. This Late Night run was just a filler run anyway, time to put that one too rest. It has some great traits but needs too much work. Crossing it with the P resulted in the same bud structure and lack of yield as the Late Night, so seems like a dead end.

Will pop the Amnesia Haze this weekend, time to move on.

Going to let the whorl candidates for the time lapse video grow a node or two before I continue the recording.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Topped the 100 degrees... good thing I have night and day switched for my plants. I do that because of the cold months and that became routine the rest of the year too. It's 90 degrees in my closet 24hrs a day now.

In the veg box it's an acceptable 83. Will mount the camera again tomorrow.

5 look like this one:
Seedlingfrost2

Seedlingfrost

One like this, seedling claw..
Seedlingclaw

Seedlingfrostclaw

Not sure yet what's going on there.

Late Night has no problems with the temps, though can't get much worse either.
Hempfrost3

Hempfrost2

Fluffy, largely seeded, but smells delicious.

Temps should drop after today, going to baptize the Amnesia White seeds overnight and hopefully see some popped seeds to put in soil tomorrow.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Only 4 popped after a night soaking but they all sank so I put them in soil and hope to see seedlings in a day or two. I've been careless over the past year or two popping my own seeds cause they have near 100% germination rate. I'd be surprised if I get 10 out of 10 with these.

I unfortunately will have to redo the timelapse another time. The previous ones worked because I turned off one of the T8 tubes but can't grow them under only 2. Tried different frequency and frame rate on camera but it's not working out cause of the fluo light. May be able to get some led bulbs in time, will try...

[ venting ]
Thinking of moving to Spain... last week they decriminalized growing mj for personal use as long as it's out of sight. Growing has become stressful for me over the past year. So much anti-cannabis propaganda and raids and snitching neighbors... My closet used to be an escape for me, my own little garden. Now I constantly have to be alert and breeding puts me way over the max plant count (5). Amnesia white is still below soil and I'm already anxious about the smell... I hate neighbors.
[ /venting ]

unwine99

unwine99

Might as well just move to the US of A man. We have plenty of Boerenkoolstamppot and Indonesian food here too. ;)

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
NL is a great country for regular folks with kids and 9-5 jobs but it's all so small and compact and above all crowded. As I mentioned in your thread once there's hardly any land left that isn't man made and privately owned or otherwise off limits or regularly maintained or crowded with people riding bikes, walking dogs...

Did find a nice spot today though. The rivers here have overflow areas, land that's merely a buffer. Noticed two people walking a dog in one hour time so it's not no man's land but there are several reed fields and groups of trees where seemingly nobody ever goes. It would come with the risk of being flooded, but that's only the case if it rained so bad and much that the plants would have had a horrible season anyway. That weakness is also its strength, it's unlike other places not maintained.
Outdoor1

Outdoor2

Too late this season, already short here, but if I still live in the same place next year I think there could be a good spot. If not Spain... I'm definitely going to move to a different part of the country.

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
Might as well just move to the US of A man. We have plenty of Boerenkoolstamppot and Indonesian food here too. ;)
Unfortunately not as easy as moving to another country within the EU. Moving to Spain would mostly be a practical matter, as in just drive there (900 miles or so) and rent a place. I'd still keep my dutch passport and don't need to go through immigration. More like a heads up thing, send them a note "Sativied is here" :) Moving to the US for longer than 6 months is actually quite difficult, getting a visa that is.

Og Gong

Og Gong

Rip Geologic
Unfortunately not as easy as moving to another country within the EU. Moving to Spain would mostly be a practical matter, as in just drive there (900 miles or so) and rent a place. I'd still keep my dutch passport and don't need to go through immigration. More like a heads up thing, send them a note "Sativied is here" :) Moving to the US for longer than 6 months is actually quite difficult, getting a visa that is.
We just gonna have to find you a American woman so you can marry and get become a U.S. Citizen. Mrs Sativied I can see it now lol

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
We just gonna have to find you a American woman so you can marry and get become a U.S. Citizen. Mrs Sativied I can see it now lol
If I was half my age and single... :)

Looks like a moth killed one of my Amnesia White seeds, one that popped too. Noticed a rather large hump of soil on one of the pots, thought the seedling was breaking through but turned out the seed was on top with its tap half dried out. As if something dug it up... 3 inches next to it was a moth. Not sure that's what happened but I have no other way to explain it.

It gets weirder though...

I still have zero AW seedlings. Checked all and all except one have a healthy tap roots so should be ok but they are clearly slower and less eager than my own. I don't think that's genetics, or at least partly, I suspect it has to do with nutrients the female that produced the seeds got. Something about boron or copper or another micro or just health/vigor in general. Or maybe it's the transparent packaging...

The weird part is that I couldn't find one seed. Pots are less than 2" wide, it's kind of hard to lose a seed in it. Yet I ended up sifting the contents, mudding it, sifting again, and inspected every crumb of soil in the pot. It's gone. No seed. I filled 10 pots, then punch a hole in the soil of one, plant a seed, cover it up, and the on to the next pot. While that could result in putting two in one 'cause I got high' I'd notice quickly that I don't have enough seeds for the remaining pots. I know 100% certain I filled the last and the first pot, and it's missing from either the last or the first pot.

...mystery of the missing AW seed.

The one that got attacked by the moth has grown its taproot over the past 4-5 hours... or is the second one, or the damaged one was transplanted by the moth..

Digging up seeds... impatience during germination... not something I would advice :) Just annoying they don't fit in my regular routine. I hope to end up with 9 still or at least 8. Not going to do intense selection this round, probably use all males and females just to get a large genetic pool to pick from in the next generation.

Some Late Night shots:
Frostynight

The odd duck above has such a small amount of pistils that it actually remains compact.

This one's better but as you can see still a low amount of stigmas, as in low amount of pistils, as in not a lot of meat on these.
Frosty latenight

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I pollinated the plant I called L8N8 with the CH quad primarily to keep its unusual sweet haze taste genes in seed form. The plant in the last pic above, I said it before, smells delicious. I feel enlightened smelling it. Not in a Buddha sort of way but I find the fact the terpenes created this smell mind boggling. There's nothing like it in the parents (although there's the unknown factor, not entirely sure what the dad is of the L8N8, skywalker kush or something that blown in or chocolate fondue itself). It's candy, or bubblegum, cherry-strawberry bubble gum. Red candy. Not like a hint of something that could be interpreted as something resembling candy, but candy. Not sure if I should smoke it, eat it, lick it, or make a perfume out of it. Either way, I want more of it.

Good thing most of its buds are seeded. The main reason of taking these (l8n8 x ch = late night) to the next gen despite the poor yield and stretch was to see if the sweet haze taste from the L8N8 will reappear (from recombining a la F2) in the next gen. Pulled a small branch from the best one, after stripping the seeds it'll be nothing but branches and leaves, should be able to reveg. There are 2 more with the candy smell, slightly less strong and I expect to find more in the next gen too but would be nice to have a clone as backup. They are currently flowering under 400w mh which is a good veg bulb...

At this point I'm thinking of trying to back cross the taste genes into an F2 (or later) of the Amnesia White, one leaning towards (amnesia x afghani) instead of thai, and leave as much as possible behind. That may be a bit like trying to invent free energy, I expect the amnesia taste/smell to mask some of the candy but the idea 'smells' good.

2 AW seedlings are breaking the soil...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
I have never understood if breeders with big budgets and access to GC would test a bunch of the "anthers" on the same male plant for cannabinoids and terpenes to judge male potency... Rather than usual method of rubbing, smelling, and looking for trichs.

Just ran into this interesting research:

Flavonoid glycosides and cannabinoids from the pollen of Cannabis sativa L.
Chemical investigation of the pollen grain collected from male plants of Cannabis sativa L. resulted in the isolation for the first time of two flavonol glycosides from the methanol extract, and the identification of 16 cannabinoids in the hexane extract. [...] The identified cannabinoids were delta9-tetrahydrocannabiorcol, cannabidivarin, cannabicitran, delta9-tetrahydrocannabivarin, cannabicyclol, cannabidiol, cannabichromene, delta9-tetrahydrocannabinol, cannabigerol, cannabinol, dihydrocannabinol, cannabielsoin, 6a, 7, 10a-trihydroxytetrahydrocannabinol, 9, 10-epoxycannabitriol, 10-O-ethylcannabitriol, and 7, 8-dehydro-10-O-ethylcannabitriol.

So apparently it doesn't even require the anther trichs but pollen itself can be tested for cannabinoids. Amazing.

Got 5 AW seedlings, hoping for at least 3 more to pop up...

Sativied

Sativied

Ruler of the Whorled
Supporter
7 up, 2 more to go. Clearly slower than usual. Slower opening of seed, slower breaking of soil, slower opening of cotyledons... maybe it's the heat even though it's pretty constant and as usual in my T8 cabinet.

Looking good but clearly not as many capitate-sessile trichs as on my own crosses. At least not on this one.
Seedlings

Latest posts

Top Bottom