BSG & The Hippie Grow Down!

• Thread starter MHippie
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Btw, a newbie question...I am thinking about doing some pollen slinging and space....it's possible to bonsai cuttings off a plant in a deeper pot, right?

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Check in hippie are you still receiving dude 🤞🏻
Idk where exactly he is, but I believe the forecast has continued to be good for him.

There are places along the coast that are looking at 90cm or so of rain, though. Fairly large city at well over a foot. No fun.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Btw, a newbie question...I am thinking about doing some pollen slinging and space....it's possible to bonsai cuttings off a plant in a deeper pot, right?
Haha you're not a noobie. :)) I don't exactly understand your question. If you take a clone then you can pot it in whatever you want. The trick with cannabis and bonsai is to use a traditional 3inch deep pot and just let the plant grow like it wants until its root system fills the pot enough that when you pull the plant up, then the entire thing comes up out of the pot in one piece.

I have a cheap set of bonsai tools and use the mini rake to gently work about a half inch of the root ball loose. Then I just take scissors and trim 1/2 off the sides and sometimes a bit more off the bottom. Once I locate the tap root, I trim that thing as far up as I can reach under the plant. Fresh soil gets laid into the bottom, packed into the sides and on top and then watered in.

If any additional trimming or LST is needed, then that is the time to do it.

The plant is going to need a week or two to recover. But when it does it will come back with a vengeance. And you can keep them this way for years without an issue.

B.S.G

B.S.G

Supporter
Haha you're not a noobie. :)) I don't exactly understand your question. If you take a clone then you can pot it in whatever you want. The trick with cannabis and bonsai is to use a traditional 3inch deep pot and just let the plant grow like it wants until its root system fills the pot enough that when you pull the plant up, then the entire thing comes up out of the pot in one piece.

I have a cheap set of bonsai tools and use the mini rake to gently work about a half inch of the root ball loose. Then I just take scissors and trim 1/2 off the sides and sometimes a bit more off the bottom. Once I locate the tap root, I trim that thing as far up as I can reach under the plant. Fresh soil gets laid into the bottom, packed into the sides and on top and then watered in.

The plant is going to need a week or two to recover. But when it does it will come back with a vengeance. And you can keep them this way for years without an issue.
I will definitely give this a go dude once I'm moved be nice for around the house 🙃

🥶

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Storm update: the thing is just sitting on the gulf churning. Where I am we are getting 60 to 70mph guys. So far so good. The fun happens later tonight supposedly. We are no longer the things bullseye which is spectacular. Can't wait until its behind us. Hate this shit. Really can't stand my plants' constant whining about wanting to go outside though. They won't stfu. :D

B.S.G

B.S.G

Supporter
Cool! If you need any help with it let me know. Love my little trees lol :)
I will be on your ear for sure don't you worry i think there wicked.
Have you ever tried to dry the bud on one so you can just pick it off an smoke it? 🥳😂😂

🥶

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Perfect, thank you. I think I am going to take a clone of all my plants going forward to save the genetics in case I really want them. Seems like if I am just going for seeds anyway I could just bonsai them...space is really at a premium in the apt. I'm hoping to use a 2x2 tent for my mother and clone tent...we will see if I can get a household consensus on that one.

If I can, I picked up some sts spray to make fem seeds. Assuming I don't screw that up, could be a cool system to mess about with S1s...

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
I will be on your ear for sure don't you worry i think there wicked.
Have you ever tried to dry the bud on one so you can just pick it off an smoke it? 🥳😂😂

🥶

I haven't done that for a couple of reasons. The first is die back. The second is I think the cure would be spoiled and the true effect of the bud wouldn't be realized because of the breakdown of THC. Like when they are amber it's started. When it's gold, it's over.

But... we can always give it a try and see what happens. I have smoked dried bud plucked off a tree. And it was pretty good. :) But never off of a bonsai.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Perfect, thank you. I think I am going to take a clone of all my plants going forward to save the genetics in case I really want them. Seems like if I am just going for seeds anyway I could just bonsai them...space is really at a premium in the apt. I'm hoping to use a 2x2 tent for my mother and clone tent...we will see if I can get a household consensus on that one.

If I can, I picked up some sts spray to make fem seeds. Assuming I don't screw that up, could be a cool system to mess about with S1s...

Welcome :) Here's a suggestion so that you don't have to fuck with sts. I hate that stuff btw... Just do it naturally. You're going to need both male and fem plants anyway to continue a strain.

I pop the seeds of the strains I want. Usually I am going for 3 plants per strain to beat the law of averages. And then they go straight into bonsai pots. I let them do their thing until I have 5 - 7 nodes. By that time the undergrowth is usually good and bushy. And that's where the rules stop. Some plants beg to be bushes. Others get 2 nodes/4 branches left. And others get weird shit done to them. It just depends what the plant is doing and what "feels" right. My favorite format is a 2 node plant. 1 node I take the branches and grow them straight out and the grow shoots become the bush. The bottom node's branches are just there to give the plant extra energy while the main branch is grown. I'll give you some close ups of my Squirt momma and it will make more sense.

Anyway unless the plant is exceptional, I'll take a clone or two, root it, pot it and then put it in veg marked of course. And then I flower the momma. A couple of reasons for this. 1) I want good bud. Older the plant, better the bud imo. 2) I don't want to wait 3 months to determine the sex of a plant. Bonsai grows slower than a normal sized plant. They are still fast but you really have to get some good age on them before you try to flower. Or they aren't going to produce shit. 3) Once that momma (or papa) shows expresses, then one of two things happen in my house. The first is if it is a male and I need one, then I top each grow shoot short to push it out and stun it. The clone gets pulled and trashed. The second is if it a fem, then I'll take additional clones off of the bottom nodes, get them rooting while flowering out the donor plant. This way in addition to the original clone which will become the permanent momma, I've got 2 - 3 following it closely so that the jar gets filled lol.

I can easily fit 15 bonsais under a 4x2 fixture. Right now? My entire grow is inside. 9 full sized plants and A LOT of bonsais. It's only taking 3 fixtures to hold them all through this hurricane. In a 2x2 you could probably cram 9 plants into that. But you will be doing a lot of trimming. And that's part of the fun I think. You get to constantly play with them.

For pollen collection, I'm all about safety. If I'm going to use a male, again it's a clone from a confirmed male of the strain I want. And it doesn't matter what stage the fem is at. Hell it can even be something that doesn't exist yet. I grow the clone out to 7 - 9 nodes and then just flower it. When the nuts start to produce I wait until there are good stalks. And then I start cutting off branches 2 to 3 at a time. They get plopped into clonex solution mixed at 4 tbl per gallon in a jar and put in my veg with wax paper under the jar. The pollen sacks will open and the pollen gets dumped onto the wax paper. Once they have all opened, I take the branches out of the water. Shake the shit out of them over the wax paper. Clump it to the center, fold it, and vac seal. It gets labeled and tossed into the freezer for future use. When it's time to use it I just take it out, grab a small water color paint brush and the fem that's getting the pollen. Instead of shaking it all over the plant and ruining the bud on the entire thing, I use that paint brush, select 1 bottom node and just paint the pollen onto the flowers for that branch only. This way I still get great bud off of everything but the seed branch. When the seeds are brown and good to go, then that branch gets trimmed, and the plant is allowed to finish the normal way.

That's it :) Pretty straight forward. The key to all of this is the ultimate in patience. And that's the hardest part for all of us I think.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Welcome :) Here's a suggestion so that you don't have to fuck with sts. I hate that stuff btw... Just do it naturally. You're going to need both male and fem plants anyway to continue a strain.

I pop the seeds of the strains I want. Usually I am going for 3 plants per strain to beat the law of averages. And then they go straight into bonsai pots. I let them do their thing until I have 5 - 7 nodes. By that time the undergrowth is usually good and bushy. And that's where the rules stop. Some plants beg to be bushes. Others get 2 nodes/4 branches left. And others get weird shit done to them. It just depends what the plant is doing and what "feels" right. My favorite format is a 2 node plant. 1 node I take the branches and grow them straight out and the grow shoots become the bush. The bottom node's branches are just there to give the plant extra energy while the main branch is grown. I'll give you some close ups of my Squirt momma and it will make more sense.

Anyway unless the plant is exceptional, I'll take a clone or two, root it, pot it and then put it in veg marked of course. And then I flower the momma. A couple of reasons for this. 1) I want good bud. Older the plant, better the bud imo. 2) I don't want to wait 3 months to determine the sex of a plant. Bonsai grows slower than a normal sized plant. They are still fast but you really have to get some good age on them before you try to flower. Or they aren't going to produce shit. 3) Once that momma (or papa) shows expresses, then one of two things happen in my house. The first is if it is a male and I need one, then I top each grow shoot short to push it out and stun it. The clone gets pulled and trashed. The second is if it a fem, then I'll take additional clones off of the bottom nodes, get them rooting while flowering out the donor plant. This way in addition to the original clone which will become the permanent momma, I've got 2 - 3 following it closely so that the jar gets filled lol.

I can easily fit 15 bonsais under a 4x2 fixture. Right now? My entire grow is inside. 9 full sized plants and A LOT of bonsais. It's only taking 3 fixtures to hold them all through this hurricane. In a 2x2 you could probably cram 9 plants into that. But you will be doing a lot of trimming. And that's part of the fun I think. You get to constantly play with them.

For pollen collection, I'm all about safety. If I'm going to use a male, again it's a clone from a confirmed male of the strain I want. And it doesn't matter what stage the fem is at. Hell it can even be something that doesn't exist yet. I grow the clone out to 7 - 9 nodes and then just flower it. When the nuts start to produce I wait until there are good stalks. And then I start cutting off branches 2 to 3 at a time. They get plopped into clonex solution mixed at 4 tbl per gallon in a jar and put in my veg with wax paper under the jar. The pollen sacks will open and the pollen gets dumped onto the wax paper. Once they have all opened, I take the branches out of the water. Shake the shit out of them over the wax paper. Clump it to the center, fold it, and vac seal. It gets labeled and tossed into the freezer for future use. When it's time to use it I just take it out, grab a small water color paint brush and the fem that's getting the pollen. Instead of shaking it all over the plant and ruining the bud on the entire thing, I use that paint brush, select 1 bottom node and just paint the pollen onto the flowers for that branch only. This way I still get great bud off of everything but the seed branch. When the seeds are brown and good to go, then that branch gets trimmed, and the plant is allowed to finish the normal way.

That's it :) Pretty straight forward. The key to all of this is the ultimate in patience. And that's the hardest part for all of us I think.
Yeah if I ever intend to continue a line I will use a male. Just don't have any atm, and have no intention of popping regs till later next year.

Could be I just keep any girls I want alive that long.

AnselAdams

AnselAdams

Supporter
Storm update: the thing is just sitting on the gulf churning. Where I am we are getting 60 to 70mph guys. So far so good. The fun happens later tonight supposedly. We are no longer the things bullseye which is spectacular. Can't wait until its behind us. Hate this shit. Really can't stand my plants' constant whining about wanting to go outside though. They won't stfu. :D

Truly good news! Stay safe & try to stay dry. Will pray for the front to pull back and give the damn thing an off-shore shove 🍻 😎.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Yeah if I ever intend to continue a line I will use a male. Just don't have any atm, and have no intention of popping regs till later next year.

Could be I just keep any girls I want alive that long.
Absolutely. Keep them under 18/6 and they’ll go forever if you care for them properly. I’ve only got 2 males in my entire line up. LA Confidential and a strain I’m quietly working on. Both were definitely worth keeping.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Truly good news! Stay safe & try to stay dry. Will pray for the front to pull back and give the damn thing an off-shore shove 🍻 😎.

The wind is blowing and it’s spitting a little. It’s just starting to move on shore. Hopefully all will be well. Time to pack a bowl and feed the green monsters... :)

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
And I got bored. We're getting low on smoke so I trimmed and cut the bonsai. Ok for every day. Mids definitely not the icky sticky. That's coming... :) The PMM and Squirt are already putting on frost in their first real flower spurt? I think I love HSC....

20200915 222018
20200915 222043
B.S.G

B.S.G

Supporter
Dude I get what you mean now just look perfect 🥳

Better than anything you can buy bro so puff puff pass 🧟‍♂️🧟‍♂

This is my next purchase iv added all the info for you to look at dude if you don't mind 🙃

🥶

Screenshot 20200916 113555 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20200916 113603 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20200916 113614 Samsung Internet
Screenshot 20200916 113626 Samsung Internet
B.S.G

B.S.G

Supporter
Also a cheeky frosty re veg on my lemonaid cutting now 10 hrs of light to boost her back to flower 🌼 hopefully 😂

🥶

20200916 114407
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Also a cheeky frosty re veg on my lemonaid cutting now 10 hrs of light to boost her back to flower 🌼 hopefully 😂

🥶
Give the chems a go. Sounds good to me. But I have no idea how you are to improve your output cause your shit is fire. Give your lemonaid a solid 12. 10 can put some strians into "finish" mode and that would no bueno.

Latest posts

Top Bottom