Cali water shortage, What`s at stake for MMJ ?

• Thread starter markscastle
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Just drove up 99 yesterday back home. Saw lots of orchards torn up, and plenty of green fields.

Mike Hawk

Mike Hawk

I went camping last weekend at lake I grew up going to, to see the water at about half of the level I'm used to seeing it at. You can see the old water line in this photo I took. Sad :(

M

Max Stone

California is in bad shape...if the projections are correct we do not stand a snow ball chance in hell....

Just read the town of Corcoran is having to dig a new well as the four they have are starting to sputter...the new well will be 1700 feet with a cost of 2.5mil for the total project...if the drought doesn't get us the taxes they will impose to drill new well will...time to pack up and leave for greener pastures...

M

Max Stone

Geo-engineering aka weather modification at work.
Yeppers...for the last several weeks the chemtrails have been nil....but today in the south valley is a different story...they are painting the sky and not in a good way.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Lloommnj
Llo

Radionuclides give off heat by a process of radioactive decay. This is the reason that spent fuel rods have to be submerged in water, to keep them cool, so they don’t melt down. According to Arnie Gundersen of Fairewinds Associates:

This decay heat occurs whether the radionuclides are in a reactor, in a spent fuel pool, or leaked into the sea. So it stands to reason that ocean temperatures would be extraordinarily high.

An ecological crisis in the Pacific is launched, simply from the warm water, even not regarding the deadly radiation itself. It affects life in areas far away from the contaminated waters through changes in the wind patterns.

“As temperature rises, the zooplankton start to grow faster than the phytoplankton,” O’Connor explains. “The zooplankton are more abundant and faster-growing, and are able to eat all the phytoplankton in warmer water. This creates a bottleneck in the food chain that could have large implications for the ocean’s food web. (link)

Phytoplankton contribute up to 50% of the planet’s oxygen supply.

Warm heights mean that the air is sinking, and little or no precipitation forms, and the surface air temperature is warm. Cold heights mean higher precipitation and cold surface temperatures. Air moves clockwise around the ridge, pushing north into the Arctic, where it pushes down cold air from these regions to the eastern US.

The contaminated water will not move out for many years, but decay heat release will continue, so look for Pacific sea surface temperatures to keep increasing, and the drought to continue.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I under stand because of the lower water levels in Shasta Dam they have had warmer waters running into the Sacramento river causing fish spawning problems , so much so that they have put water cooling devises in at the Dam to encourage better spawning and fertilizing of fish eggs in the Sacramento River. Once the young fish hatch they head for the ocean and return to spawn in 7 year cycles. We should be able to pic up radiation levels in the fish and see graduation depending on how long and to what extent they were effected in the Pacific Ocean.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Out here, the rivers that border the county have essentially run dry. They're not completely dry in all places, they're now a series of pools. I don't know what salmon can deal with a 'river' like that.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
The good thing is fish hatcheries can freeze eggs and sperm and reintroduce the salmon for several different 7 year salmon runs... if the drought doesn`t last to many years anyway.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Bad news is scientists have predicted a warmer winter again this year with about normal rain fall, but we need the snow pack to see us through the summer so warmer isn`t good.

SpiderK

SpiderK

California: Paradise Burning

Since 2012, California has been suffering through a historically severe drought. For the farmers of the Central Valley, which is, as Dana Goodyear writes in this week’s issue, “the country’s fruit basket, salad bowl, and dairy case,” the future seems especially bleak. Wells have gone dry, orchards have been left to perish, and those who came to California to work the fields stand idle. Photographers Matt Black and Ed Kashi recently spent time with the farmers and shepherds of the Central Valley, documenting their ongoing struggles. Some of Black’s photographs are also featured in this week’s issue.

Bull Trout

Bull Trout

Geo-engineering aka weather modification at work.
You really think so? Or is it a multitude of people living in an arid region and the growing of crops with a large H20 footprint to feed the nation that is causing it?

[edit to clarify] I mean the water shortage. The drought is a drought. They happen. The actual cause of the water shortage is a different subject.

Last edited:
liketosmoke

liketosmoke

High and dry in pot country, NYT news.
Mark this might work for your water,The principal planner of lake county oks this way to save your water out of the stream. The swami is cool guy too.

Last edited:
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl

California: Paradise Burning

Since 2012, California has been suffering through a historically severe drought. For the farmers of the Central Valley, which is, as Dana Goodyear writes in this week’s issue, “the country’s fruit basket, salad bowl, and dairy case,” the future seems especially bleak. Wells have gone dry, orchards have been left to perish, and those who came to California to work the fields stand idle. Photographers Matt Black and Ed Kashi recently spent time with the farmers and shepherds of the Central Valley, documenting their ongoing struggles. Some of Black’s photographs are also featured in this week’s issue.

Two weeks ago a good friend and I made a trip through California, visiting family and such. I normally take Hwy 99. Normally, it's verdant, you're passing nothing but CAFO dairies, orchards, vineyards, fields planted thickly or just disked for planting. Now..?

This year I saw such a stark difference it almost brought me to tears. You'd think it was the barren fields that would get me, but the torn out orchards have such a feeling of finality, dismal and stark and resolute, about them. But, knowing what's been being done wrong, and how those choices also led to that. All that bare earth? Lets water just slide away, evaporate, it's gone, gone, gone. Sure, you can tear out the orchards, but then what comes in place of that, to at least protect that ground? So far I see nothing. And then in the middle of all of that I see a huge, bright green field, looking for all the world like it was a rice paddy plucked from Bali and dropped in the middle of all that brown.

Guess who's voting in favor of Proposition 1.

We growers in dry areas have to start moving away from the Smart Pot scenario, in terms of being more drought resistant, IMO.
High and dry in pot country, NYT news.
Mark this might work for your water,The principal planner of lake county oks this way to save your water out of the stream. The swami is cool guy too.
Great video, thanks for sharing that. I agree wholeheartedly with the swami and Seth Little.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
With most people cutting back there grows this year and plenty of hard luck stories on top of that I was surprised none the less to see local units up $600 to $700 this year at the start of harvest. Big change from the $800 you could expect at this time last year. I`m now wondering as last year prices went up $700 a unit locally by August and we were nearly dry , what will happen this year by August ?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Wait... what? Do you mean next year by August?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom