Captain's Log: Dispatches from Planet Milson

• Thread starter Milson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

The plant tells the mycorrhizae what it wants, the mycorrhizae coordinate the communication with the rest of the rhizosphere. The bacteria are the simplest and “dumbest” part the process, but also the most resilient. The plants can even communicate with other plants through the mycorrhizal network.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Its also part of what I like about your lasgna method. It ands another method of plant choice, when the plants are ready for more nutrition they choose to push roots into that extra rich bottom layer.
That's the hope! I just think from a plant's perspective...it will work with that.

So far they seem to do okay until the layer runs out....need to adjust for that.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Now, wouldn't we think that's more so microbial modulation as opposed to plant command/response?
I feel like the roots might be the dummies in the symbiosis because they're simply just searching for something, whereas the microbes are dependent on the health of those roots and have the ability to transform and manipulate a rhizosphere with a much greater reach and with much greater impact than the roots themselves can accomplish.
I mean... it's symbiosis, so there's plenty of signaling from both sides... I just think plants cultivating their rhizosphere as they please might be the reverse observation, and it's more likely the action of the microbes cultivating the rhizosphere to support their host. They have all these resources that they can allocate or restrict based on micro-impulses from the plant.. the plant just says, "ahh!! gimmie stuff!!"

Maybe I'm just getting too much into the head of microbes...
I think it's both. The plant gives way less of a crap about where "it" begins and ends or what constitutes "it" as an identity. That's its superpower.

Otoh animals care way more about that whole edge of myself thing and so they get movement as their superpower.

Yep I'm stoned.

beluga

beluga

Yeah.. I have learned of that. I've consumed a variety of content on plant "families"/communities and plant biome and their interconnectedness through mycorrhizae and other microbiology.

And it kind of seems to me like there's a distinction between plant shoots and plant roots. Where all of the complexity of plants is expressed in its upper parts and the roots are simply just their digits responding to certain signals that they command.
And, with those commands, the mycorrhizae are really the intelligent messengers who dictate how those signals are received and how the subterranean ecology is thusly effected. After all, the plant shoot has its complex needs and the plant roots have their basic needs. The mycorrhizae (and other microbes) are the ones who are absolutely dependent on that entire rhizosphere to be hospitable and thriving in order for them to thrive (or even survive) themselves.

There are plenty of studies that have gone on, too, about the communication of aerial plant parts... those ones seem, to me, to be where plant complexities are pronounced.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Totally eyeballed some sugar cookies with some grapeseed oil i made with the Levo 2 and some sweet zombie shake. They turned out fine! I didn't measure anything except the half cup of grapeseed oil. Two eggs, equal parts baking powder and baking soda, some all spice and vanilla extract, enough sugar to get it to mix pretty then enough flour to make it cookie dough and not bar dough. Also lecithin because I think it helps.

Bake at 295 for like a half hour ish until they are done.

IMG 20201214 194910798

😆😂🤣🙃😶👀🤲🤷‍♀️👻

Last edited:
MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Ok guys I need help. These little purple bugs keep on appearing on my plants.

Not really. But that would be cool. Ok seriously the spousal unit stunned the shit out of me today. I should buy a grow tent she says. I'm like oh yeah? Wtf is wrong with my closets??? And then she proceeds to tell me I'm running out of space.

Ok seriously. Wtf?! Wait wait! Aaaaaaaaaaaand when my Bog order showed up... she smiled. Wth wtf wtf.

So I explained to her that lights and stuff and I've never even thought about buying a tent.

And she picked out a 4 x 8ft one by Vivosun.

So lady and gents... I have that very rare opportunity to get whatever I want. Trouble is... I dont know what I want. Because I LIKE MY FUCKING CLOSETS lol! It's all I've ever known inside.

So help. Give me your dream builds for soil. I dont wanna go back to hydro. Then I'll have to take ANOTHER year to re learn all of the new shit AGAIN because God knows theres going to be 50 million nute, media, and hardware options and seriously fuck that (with all fondness amd respect)

Builds. Go. Help!

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter

Not really. But that would be cool. Ok seriously the spousal unit stunned the shit out of me today. I should buy a grow tent she says. I'm like oh yeah? Wtf is wrong with my closets??? And then she proceeds to tell me I'm running out of space.

Ok seriously. Wtf?! Wait wait! Aaaaaaaaaaaand when my Bog order showed up... she smiled. Wth wtf wtf.

So I explained to her that lights and stuff and I've never even thought about buying a tent.

So lady and gents... I have that very rare opportunity to get whatever I want. Trouble is... I dont know what I want. Because I LIKE MY FUCKING CLOSETS lol! It's all I've ever known inside.

So help. Give me your dream builds for soil. I dont wanna go back to hydro. Then I'll have to take ANOTHER year to re learn all of the new shit AGAIN because God knows theres going to be 50 million nute, media, and hardware options and seriously fuck that (with all fondness amd respect)

Builds. Go. Help!
4x8 is huge! In terms of figuring out lighting, i would think of it as two 4x4s next to each other I guess. You know budget better than me.

For exhaust i would look at AC Infinity systems for tents generally. I know I like mine. The controller setup is quite slick.

For growing in soil i would look into building a system to keep pots above their runoff. Benches or whatever i really don't know.

But honestly I'm out of my depth here.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
4x8 is huge! In terms of figuring out lighting, i would think of it as two 4x4s next to each other I guess. You know budget better than me.

For exhaust i would look at AC Infinity systems for tents generally. I know I like mine. The controller setup is quite slick.

For growing in soil i would look into building a system to keep pots above their runoff. Benches or whatever i really don't know.

But honestly I'm out of my depth here.

Me too...

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

Builds. Go. Help!

Not claiming this is the best setup but I still wanted to share what I am dreaming about since you asked. Haven’t tried all these components or ideas, many of them have just caught my eye.

4 x 8 tray on a table draining into a res, ideally float activated sump pump in the res that pumps the runoff outside to a fruit tree.

2 Custom diy strip leds or hlg scorpion diablos, also very curious about the hortilux ceramic hps and the hortilux double ended ceramic hps.

Drip irrigation off of 55 gal res, a faucet very close the res.

Osogreen261

Osogreen261

One thing I have been thinking about and thought I'd put here is how to smoke weed. I know that sounds dumb, but I recently think I got better at it because I was being dumb before and thought I'd share.

View attachment 1048828
So basically I now consume like in the pic above. That's a cured piece of a bud pulled off the stem. It's not torn up or ground in my grinder (even cleaned).

The result is I can taste the terps A LOT more.

Before I was grinding stuff when I smoked it. Even good stuff. And if I did it by hand, I'd try to get it ground up so it would burn even.

Well good pot burns even. Even my first grow stuff burns even now. And I have been trying to handle it very carefully to preserve terps only to break some of those bonds at the last moment.

With those bonds not broken, my pot tastes better!

I'm sure most people know this and I was just being blind and dumb, but I thought i'd throw it out there as a log of when I got smarter about this.
Funny yrs ago an Indian fellow in NM was telling a sick friend of mine to only smoke from certain type of stone an that it heats the flower up at the perfect temp. I couldn't remember the type of stone maybe bone it was like 25 yrs ago.

Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
Funny yrs ago an Indian fellow in NM was telling a sick friend of mine to only smoke from certain type of stone an that it heats the flower up at the perfect temp. I couldn't remember the type of stone maybe bone it was like 25 yrs ago.
A bench of stones to warm up each at a diff temp for different herbs mmmmmmmm

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Not claiming this is the best setup but I still wanted to share what I am dreaming about since you asked. Haven’t tried all these components or ideas, many of them have just caught my eye.

4 x 8 tray on a table draining into a res, ideally float activated sump pump in the res that pumps the runoff outside to a fruit tree.

2 Custom diy strip leds or hlg scorpion diablos, also very curious about the hortilux ceramic hps and the hortilux double ended ceramic hps.

Drip irrigation off of 55 gal res, a faucet very close the res.

With all respect, that sounds like my flood and drain set up from 1997. Lights and all. Dual type lights (HPS/MH combos) were all the rage back then at 1200.00+. Damned things were so expensive and hot that we used to send them down the line with these light movers that conked out every now and then and burned holes in the canopy from staying in one position too long. Appreciate your input though. I'm sticking with dirt and LEDs.

I was thinking about Gavitas or believe it or not ViparSpectra XS series with Meanwell drivers and 301B LEDs.

A programmable auto watering sys would be nice. I think Burnzy runs one of those. I like Milsons fan/filter brand. Beyond that I dont think there is much to do besides some clip on fans. Never been into the C02 thing.

Last edited:
Milson

Milson

Milsonian
Supporter
With all respect, that sounds like my flood and drain set up from 1997. Lights and all. Dual type lights (HPS/MH combos) were all the rage back then at 1200.00+. Damned things were so expensive and hot that we used to send them down the line with these light movers that conked out every now and then and burned holes in the canopy from staying in one position too long. Appreciate your input though. I'm sticking with dirt and LEDs.

I was thinking about Gavitas or believe it or not ViparSpectra XS series with Meanwell drivers and 301B LEDs.

A programmable auto watering sys would be nice. I think Burnzy runs one of those. I like Milsons fan/filter brand. Beyond that I dont think there is much to do besides some clip on fans. Never been into the C02 thing.
Dream wise for lights i would go gavitas i think. The other one that has my eye is a shop out of NY called Mammoth Lighting.

Screenshot 20201215 074417

I really really like having UV in the bars. A guy named @Pondracer runs Mammoth lights or at least did.

Last edited:
beluga

beluga

Oooh, we daydreaming?!
drm.jpg

5' x 14' framed and insulated "room" in my basement.
(3) 3' x 5' rooms
- Vegetative​
- (1) 240W 5000K strip LED, dialed back as necessary​
- 2' x 4' no-till beds on casters (one on standby, being inoculated.. might require a fourth 3' x 5' room...)​
- Mother/Clone​
- (1) 240W 5000K strip LED, dialed back as necessary​
- 5 gallon mother pots​
- aerocloner​
- Drying​
(1) 5' x 5' room
- Flower​
- (1) 240W 4000K strip LED with IR supplementation​
- (1) 240W 4000K strip LED with IR/UV supplementation​
- (1) 2' x 4' no-till bed for early flower​
- (1) 2' x 4' no-till bed for late flower​
Components TBD... still testing. IR chips on the way and new gen LED strips about to be tested 😏
No-till organic/natural/whole ferts and IPM is where it's at. I don't foresee the rush of hydro in my future... but, to me, it's way simpler and more foolproof than soil.
Maybe some automated light hangers that I can just have an up/down switch for.
All the x-stats and x-meters on a newfangled controller system.
Maybe have the inoculating soil room supplement CO2 to the others down the line...
Hm.

I like daydreaming early.

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter
Dream wise for lights i would go gavitas i think. The other one that has my eye is a shop out of NY called Mammoth Lighting.

View attachment 1067713
I really really like having UV in the bars. A guy named @Pondracer runs Mammoth lights or at least did.

Thar looks yummy...

MHippie

MHippie

Supporter

View attachment 1067713

Ok so I just went and looked closer. I can't find dimensions or footprint in their description.

Top Bottom