Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
cottageman

cottageman

That plus a couple of additives and the plants really like it. I had a yellowing problem at the beginning of flower and switching to this base fixed it overnight and it’s a lot cheaper than what I was using lol

visajoe1

visajoe1

Last run I used a liquid organic 1-1-1 throughout the grow with bloom booster in flower. Feed was never at full strength, and never encountered any deficiencies first time ever. FF Happy Frog. Total spent on nutes about $30 with over half leftover. I'll repeat this eventually

Novadoc

Novadoc

Anyone running the boosters along with monstercrop? Going to do a trial run but wondering if the bud explosion and sweet candy are neccessary.

cottageman

cottageman

Anyone running the boosters along with monstercrop? Going to do a trial run but wondering if the bud explosion and sweet candy are neccessary.
They’re not necessary. When I used megacrop I had to add a cal mg supplement since it didn’t have enough but other than that I don’t think you need anything else. Maybe a little p boost but megacrop has a lot of k in it already for flowering

Novadoc

Novadoc

They’re not necessary. When I used megacrop I had to add a cal mg supplement since it didn’t have enough but other than that I don’t think you need anything else. Maybe a little p boost but megacrop has a lot of k in it already for flowering
Awesome thanks!
I noticed they had a few boosters on their website so wanted to see if anyone was using them

You arent using megacrop anymore? Can I ask why you decided to go to something different?

cottageman

cottageman

Awesome thanks!
I noticed they had a few boosters on their website so wanted to see if anyone was using them

You arent using megacrop anymore? Can I ask why you decided to go to something different?
The npk ratios were just a bit off for me and my plants came out healthy but not quite as healthy as when I used Jacks or Perfect Grower. Megacrop isn’t quite as complete for me as jacks is. I personally like having a 3 or 4 part nute system so I can customize it without throwing off everything else

Novadoc

Novadoc

The npk ratios were just a bit off for me and my plants came out healthy but not quite as healthy as when I used Jacks or Perfect Grower. Megacrop isn’t quite as complete for me as jacks is. I personally like having a 3 or 4 part nute system so I can customize it without throwing off everything else
I was looking at Jack's too, but cost of shipping is going to kill me and having a 1 part nutrient system just seems so easy
Especially if it works
Do you mind me asking what you are using in your mix from Jack's?

cottageman

cottageman

I was looking at Jack's too, but cost of shipping is going to kill me and having a 1 part nutrient system just seems so easy
Especially if it works
Do you mind me asking what you are using in your mix from Jack's?
Go check out Athena ag, it’s a 2 part system, tested and used by the Jungle boys and it’s in the same price range as megacrop and jacks!
For jacks I use their base at 3.4g/gal, cal-nit from customhydronutrients at 2.3g/gal and Epsom salt at 1.2g/gal. Customhydronutrients has cal nit de cheaper and they make their own jacks base and it was a bit cheaper for shipping with me! If you’re intent on trying megacrop though then go for it, it worked very well and I only used it one run and the only real negative I had with megacrop is that it smells horrible when you open the pouch lol but that’s not their fault

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Enzymes: use septic enzymes like Bio-Clean or Rid-X
pH control: pH up- potassium hydroxide is drain cleaner. pH down- Use nitric, phosphoric or sulfuric acid. ~30% sulfuric acid can be bought at the auto parts store for batteries.
Sterile reservoir: Use 4 drops of unscented laundry bleach per gallon, or 1 ml per 5 gallons instead of Clear Rez or UC Roots
Aminos: use unflavored soy or whey protein hydrolysate 1 g per 5 gallons
Humic/Fulvic acid: Use liquid smoke (pyroligneous acid, wood vinegar). It is lignin/cellulose that has been broken down with heat and condensed. There are also other beneficial organic acids in it and it protects against bugs.
Kelp: soak nori sushi wraps in water overnight and blend until smooth. Dillute until a very weak tea.

Septooth

Septooth

Could someone please give me some advice on a feeding schedule for Mega Crop and Happy Frog soil?

I am going to plant directly into Happy Frog after germinating. The MG I have is 9-6-17. I use tap water dechlorinated and it has a PPM of 250.

I was going to feed at 1g per gallon the first week ever other watering and increase it 1g every week up to 10g. Then just stop feeding last couple weeks of flowering. But I rather have some advice.

BillFarthing

BillFarthing

Supporter
Could someone please give me some advice on a feeding schedule for Mega Crop and Happy Frog soil?

I am going to plant directly into Happy Frog after germinating. The MG I have is 9-6-17. I use tap water dechlorinated and it has a PPM of 250.

I was going to feed at 1g per gallon the first week ever other watering and increase it 1g every week up to 10g. Then just stop feeding last couple weeks of flowering. But I rather have some advice.

Follow the feed schedule. Peak ppm week 6 of flower. Taper week 7. Flush week 8+

Septooth

Septooth

Here is my PPM meter.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XKMH86J#Ask

My PPM meter is open meaning no scale. I'm not sure what that means for my reading. If it's not 500 or 700 scale, what is the difference in the reading?

Mega crop says for Veg 2, 500 scale, feeding should be 555 PPM.

Mega crop says for Veg 2, 700 scale, feeding should be 777 PPM.

#1 - What would my feeding be during Veg 2 with an open scale PPM meter?

Mega Crop says "*EC is additive, so you measure your base water EC then add in the suggested amount.
For example: Base water EC .2, suggested dosage is 1.1, then final level will be 1.1 + .2 = 1.3"

My Tap water is 250P PPM.
My tap water and Happy Frog soil slurry test was 625 PPM. 625 PPM slurry minus 250 PPM tap water = Happy Frog is 375 PPM.

According to Mega Crop, if my feeding PPM is supposed to be 555 and my tap water is at 250 PPM, them my feeding should be 805 PPM.

#3 - What about the nutrients that are in my soil. From doing slurry test, the PPM of my soil seems to be 375 PPM.
Should I subtract my soil PPM from my feeding PPM only then? So it would be 805 PPM minus 375 PPM. That would be a feeding of 430 PPM for veg 2?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Here is my PPM meter.... https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B06XKMH86J#Ask

My PPM meter is open meaning no scale. I'm not sure what that means for my reading. If it's not 500 or 700 scale, what is the difference in the reading?

Mega crop says for Veg 2, 500 scale, feeding should be 555 PPM.

Mega crop says for Veg 2, 700 scale, feeding should be 777 PPM.

#1 - What would my feeding be during Veg 2 with an open scale PPM meter?

Mega Crop says "*EC is additive, so you measure your base water EC then add in the suggested amount.
For example: Base water EC .2, suggested dosage is 1.1, then final level will be 1.1 + .2 = 1.3"

My Tap water is 250P PPM.
My tap water and Happy Frog soil slurry test was 625 PPM. 625 PPM slurry minus 250 PPM tap water = Happy Frog is 375 PPM.

According to Mega Crop, if my feeding PPM is supposed to be 555 and my tap water is at 250 PPM, them my feeding should be 805 PPM.

#3 - What about the nutrients that are in my soil. From doing slurry test, the PPM of my soil seems to be 375 PPM.
Should I subtract my soil PPM from my feeding PPM only then? So it would be 805 PPM minus 375 PPM. That would be a feeding of 430 PPM for veg 2?
That meter is 500 scale most likely, at least my yellow cheapies have been; about the rest maybe somebody familiar with mega crop could help you better, but when I used megacrop I fed 300-500 in veg & 500-800 bloom with little adjustments to each as needed, good luck

Latest posts

Top Bottom