Chemistry's persoanl grow.

• Thread starter chemistry
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Morning tokers and growers, hope your all well, time for a weekly update on the three plants. Week one of flower has passed, and not stretched as much as last time? Don't know why. I'm starting to think that LED is not as good as HPS in flower, as the HPS fills my grow space, but the LED hasn't in flower as yet. With the HPS, the space was packed, with the LED the plants are a lot less chunky, thinner stems and branches, and the colour is not as good in flower as the HPS, so if this run doesn't pack it out with the LED, then I'm off back to HPS for my next grow, and a nice, less than a year old LED light is going on Ebay, your a long time making your money back on your light if you don't sell off your surplus, which I don't don't being a small grower of personal cannabis, so we'll see what happens later on in this grow, week two of stretch starting this morning. But on a brighter note, the Juan Herer looks like its keeping up, the trunk damage is not as bad as it seems, as the JH is slowly growing out of it. 🙂 The Pure Kush grew through veg looking like it was going to finish its very short life as a male, but its pushing out the first sign of white hairs, so it should look very girly by next week, or produce some danglers. 😤 Another one to watch out for. The Zkittles is a well bushy plant, and has some decent branching, I would think the Amnesia Lemon would have been buried by it, as the AL is a smaller plant in its finished size, and the Zkittles is a tree. Was in the workshop having a bong, as you do when your searching for five minutes peace, and stumbled along some thing I'd been waiting to fettle, but just didn't find the time, but in the end, made some , what was it? Find out at the end of this update if I don't run out of space. 😁 Lets have some pics.

Pure Kush. Just finished week one of flower.
View attachment 1185711

View attachment 1185712

Juan Herer. Trunk is looking better, it has been held back a little by the trunk issue, but it has great colour, so should produce some thing. 🙂
View attachment 1185713

View attachment 1185714

Trunk is fattening, confident the Juan Herer will produce the goods. 👍
View attachment 1185715

Zkittles. A bushy thing. 🙂
View attachment 1185716

View attachment 1185717

Other things. Had this oil lamp given a few years back, it was a keep sake from when my friend passed away, I was offered a lot of his things, but this thing was timeless, and slightly historic, but useful. When he was ill before he died, he told me about this lamp, and how back in 1977, it was packed away after some strikes and power cuts, but I'd forgotten about it until helped his family sort out his belongings, he did well to make 80. Well, as I was going through some cupboards, I found the glass chimney for the lamp, and buried at the back of the cupboard, exactly where you'd expect it to be, so you could put your hand on it in the dark, was the brass lamp base, wrapped in a 1977 news paper, and in it was news of the 77 strikes, I've kept the paper purely for the history of it, and I'll try to keep it together with the lamp, as together it is history. The lamp in question is a Super Aladin, produced between 1927 and 1957, all brass, with a glass chimney. I started off gently seperating the parts to give them a good clean.

This is the lamp, brass base and working parts, and glass chimney. As you can see, the mantle has burnt away, so first thing to do was order a couple of mantles, and while I was at it, I ordered a new wick.
View attachment 1185719

Stripped and cleaned the burner, quite a bit of crap clogging things up, as the oil sets like varnish over time.
View attachment 1185721View attachment 1185722

New wick in.
View attachment 1185720

Gave the insides a good splash round with some fresh oil, and this is what washed out.
View attachment 1185733

After fitting the wick, its time to fit the new mantle, as you can see, the old one is destroyed. The blue is some protection while fitting, as the mantle is seriously fragile after its fired up.
View attachment 1185724

Mantle fitted.
View attachment 1185725

Time to set the flame, a gas like blue flame is what we're after, as this indicates a clean burn. 😉 I find these lamps need to be left to warm up before you get the best from them.

Warming up.
View attachment 1185726

Warmed up.
View attachment 1185727

Pop on the mantle and give it a minute to warm up. BEWARE! the mantle flares up a foot while the coating burns off. 🔥
View attachment 1185732

Put the chimney on, let the glass warm up, and then your off, bath in the light. The Light was to bright at its centre for my camera to take a pic of, and whited out. lol
View attachment 1185729

And give it some burn.
View attachment 1185730

And that is it, plants are updated, and a lamp that's not shone since 1977 shines again, I ask you, where else can you go to for this kind of entertainment other than the Farm. 😎 Time to get on with some garden chores, so tune in next week and see what's happening with my grow, until then, just keep toking folks. 👍
i feel ya on the led lights,im not wild about them either,guess im just old school and love my hid lights,i run the 400 watt in my 2x4x5 tent and it does very well for me,i do have to grow by season dates though,were i live the hid light and my setup pretty much outdoors without the sun,heat over takes all even with the led lights.
i have 3 of the kerosene lamps myself mate,not only are they great for light but they provide warmth too in storms in the winter time,i keep a few windows barely cracked to let fresh air in and co2 out, this past spring i spent a whole lot of time fixing and cleaning lamps and stove,only place i could find stove parts was old coleman stove parts .com. anyway got the gear ready for the next power out if there be one and that stove was bought when i was 7 years old,been threw a lot in my life too hahaha.
plants looking great my friend,hope the best for you with the led light,i just havent found that i care for them dont be swayed by my thoughts on them though

chemistry

chemistry

i feel ya on the led lights,im not wild about them either,guess im just old school and love my hid lights,i run the 400 watt in my 2x4x5 tent and it does very well for me,i do have to grow by season dates though,were i live the hid light and my setup pretty much outdoors without the sun,heat over takes all even with the led lights.
i have 3 of the kerosene lamps myself mate,not only are they great for light but they provide warmth too in storms in the winter time,i keep a few windows barely cracked to let fresh air in and co2 out, this past spring i spent a whole lot of time fixing and cleaning lamps and stove,only place i could find stove parts was old coleman stove parts .com. anyway got the gear ready for the next power out if there be one and that stove was bought when i was 7 years old,been threw a lot in my life too hahaha.
plants looking great my friend,hope the best for you with the led light,i just havent found that i care for them dont be swayed by my thoughts on them though

I'm not made up my self Oldy about LED's. I have an old stove some were, all brass, also had it years, due it has never worn out. lol And an old blow torch too, keep meaning to get it fired up, but I only used it to make sinker weights from lead, for boat fishing, not made any for years, so its still working, just not employed, just in case. 😉

Chem77

Chem77

Sweet lamp man! Here’s my favorite, it’s Vaseline glass, with spare mantle and globe.
38AA482C 4993 4FD9 B665 995E8594BDCC

chemistry

chemistry

Morning tokers and growers, its Saturday, hope your all rockin n rollin. 🙂 Been busy this week with outdoor gardening, getting the Spring bulb planters sorted, last chance here in November to plant them up, as we've had our first frost of the Autumn, so this is a signal to get the bulbs buried. I also turned out the bucket I grow my outdoor auto's in, its had some home made compost and a bit of grit to keep the drainage right. The reason I do it now, is because it takes a bit for the compost to break down and release the good stuff. So now is the time to do it if your planning on going organic next Spring, as organic takes time. On the inside gardening front, all three plants are doing well, still a bit stumpy, but they seem to be on a growth spurt at the moment don't know why? Plants have just finished week 2 of flower, started week three this morning. All have good colour, only leaf damage is on the Juan Herer, I think this is down to the trunk damage slowing its uptake of nuits, it is getting its self together, so I'm not as concerned as I was last week, it will do what it will do. 😁 The Pure Kush is growing the same as it did last run, tall thin, with a long main cola, not quite a light lifter, but its got six more weeks to try. 😁 The Zkittles is a forest on its own, it is one bushy thing, it has a lot of lower branches, not quite out into the light yet, but should be by week three. 👍 Pic time. 🙂

Pure Kush. Some nice looking branches forming. 🙂
Pure Kush f2a

Pure Kush f2b

Juan Herer. Looking good, especially after the stump went black. I have to say, the black trunk did hold it back and upset its feeding rate.
Juan Herer f2a

Juan Herer f2b

Trunk looks better, but you can see from the other pics that its not as happy as it could be. But the colour is good. 👍
Juan Herer f2c

Zkttles. Think this one will take over, look at the branching. lol
Zkittles f2a

Zkittles f2b

And that is the plants updated, got some pics of my auto bucket being turned over for Winter, but can't find the pics. 🙁 So I'll have to post them next week If I've not lost them. 😁
And on that note, I'm off, got some work to do outdoors this weekend, so see you next week people, until then, just keep tokin folks. 👍

Madmax

Madmax

No wait...COME BAAAAACK 😂. the .zkttles has a beautiful shape chem..i had the same happen to a cutting a have taken off the punchline...looks like a snail has eaten around the base lol...it hasnt died bnut its struggling..

SSgrower

SSgrower

I want to try outdoors again but still waiting on Tex/legal efforts to open the opportunity. Started a compost pile with cardboard boxes, wood an such. Looking good for you Chemistry, Cheers & enjoy your weekend. SS

chemistry

chemistry

No wait...COME BAAAAACK 😂. the .zkttles has a beautiful shape chem..i had the same happen to a cutting a have taken off the punchline...looks like a snail has eaten around the base lol...it hasnt died bnut its struggling..

You just caught me as I was walking out the door. 😁 I think the Zkittles is going to take over. lol The Juan Herer is half the size of the other two, due to the trunk being strickened, would be nice if it fattened out and caught up, but the stretch is nearly over, so I think this one is going to be short and chubby. 👍

chemistry

chemistry

I want to try outdoors again but still waiting on Tex/legal efforts to open the opportunity. Started a compost pile with cardboard boxes, wood an such. Looking good for you Chemistry, Cheers & enjoy your weekend. SS

Hide an auto in a two gallon bucket some were out of sight in your garden, only downside is they stink all the way through flower, badly. 😁

chemistry

chemistry

Morning tokers and growers, here we go again, week three of flower has just passed this morning, and today we start week 4. Every thing is green and mean, and heading for the stars. Don't know why, but I've just had a week three of stretch, and I mean some stretch. I'll bet there's around two feet of growth, only last week I was commenting on the lack of stretch, this week I've moved the light up twice, not complaining as you need the stretch to set the bud positions, just hoping there's no week four of stretch, as I have enough now. 😁 The only thing I can think of that could have slowed them down is that its been slightly frosty here in the mornings, so maybe lights out temps in my space need raising a bit, its on the job card. 👍 I'm thinking that because the HID's run hotter than LED's that the heat is gone by late evening after the LED's have switched off, instead of dissipating slower through the night like the HID, so next run I need more heat during the colder months of the year, Summer is no problem. I like the structure of the Pure Kush, its grown the same shape as the last one, I like the way the centre cola is on its own, bang on in the centre of the plant, with a circle of side branches round it, perfect shape for small growing, would be nice if the whole cola filled in like the Franco's, we'll find out in five weeks. 🙂 The Zkittles is as bushy a plant as I like, its taken over the space the Lemon Amnesia would have occupied already, it could turn out to be a two or three gallon plant when harvested, would be nice, as the other Zkittles was a nice tasty smoke with a good hit, and this one looks like its going to turn out the same, nice. 🙂 The Juan Herer has not kept up with the others, its half the size I'd have expected it to grow. This has to be down to the damage to the base of the constricted trunk, its now obvious that water and nuits been halved, so we can only expect a plant half the size. If you look at the leaves, the JH has damage to some fingers on a leaf, but not the others, so maybe this points to half damaged trunk, so half a plant, with half effected leaves, but hopefully not half the buds. 😁 Meant to dig out the pics of resetting my outdoor auto bucket for the Winter, but not had a lot of time this week, so next week I'll get them posted. Right, pics then. 👍

Pure Kush. Only the centre cola has bolted, the lower branches are about where I'd expect them to be.
Pure Kush f3a

Pure Kush f3c

Zkittles. Such a bushy babe compared to the Pure Kush, similar growth with the long centre cola, but the branching on the Zkittles is a lot thicker, and leafier. 😍
Zkittles f3c

Zkttles f3d

Juan Herer. If you look at the leaves, you can see that the leaves show a point in between a def and root rot, this is the problem caused by the constricted trunk. Some parts of the plant are being fed well, but on the damaged parts of the constriction the plant is not being fed as well, you can see its also come out in the leaves, shame, but that's life. 😉
Juan Herer f3c

Juan Herer f3d

Group shot. See how small the Juan Herer is compared to the other two plants. On the left, the tall plant at the back is the Pure Kush, the small plant in front of it is the Juan Herer. On the right is the Zkittles.
Group Shot f3b

And here we are again, wish there was more to report, think I've covered every thing, I'm just glad I don't have a field with a hundred strains to report on. lol So will the bushyness continue, will I have to lift the lights on week four of stretch, pop back and find out next week, until then, just keep toking folks. 👍

Edited - Just noticed, I have no mites, or mite damage, wonder why?

Madmax

Madmax

Looks like you might have to fanny around 🤣 and throw some stakes in 😉..you might of jinxed yourself lol talking too soon haha.

Stretch is contagious..you caught it from me hehehehe...do you run veg nutes early in flower..agree with getting your overnite temps up.if it wasnt for the dehuey throwing out heat my room would b cold.right now ...

chemistry

chemistry

I run veg nuits up until week two of flower, after the stretch. lol I think its temps with the late stretching, last run with this LED light went well, but that was started in the Summer, so no cold dark nights for them, first grow in cold climate with the LED setup this run, so should be an education. 😁 Currently looking at a greenhouse tube heater with thermostat, so it switches off when the space reaches the right temp. 👍

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
I run veg nuits up until week two of flower, after the stretch. lol I think its temps with the late stretching, last run with this LED light went well, but that was started in the Summer, so no cold dark nights for them, first grow in cold climate with the LED setup this run, so should be an education. 😁 Currently looking at a greenhouse tube heater with thermostat, so it switches off when the space reaches the right temp. 👍
Managing the cool is the most difficult part of my grows in the winter months, I believe... or up there, at minimum. LEDs work great, but you got to keep an eye on them, they do fluctuate more than a HPS will, during the chilly. Especially early on, when the plants are on the smaller size.

Madmax

Madmax

I got one of those in veg and it runs all the time and have my exhaust fan is plugged into my inkbird set at a certain temp...mines around 200watts..you can actually buy 3-4 bar ones that go on the wall joined together.the 200 heats my 1.5mtr x .80cm room okay but would struggle a little in my 5x5 room..ive been trying to find an oil filled one thats 500watts that can b turned down to 250watts but they dont make them like that.i gather a sparky could fix one up to do it..they are only bout 50 bucks to buy..pretty cheap

chemistry

chemistry

Just bought an outdoor greenhouse 45 watter off Amazon, a foot long, and all I plan to do is screw it to the floor out of the way, above my air inlet vent in the floor, that way it can take the chill off the incoming air as it passes over the tube, I'm figuring that left on constant, it will warm even if my lights don't manage to make Summer time day temps. 😉 Will post pics when it gets here and I get it sorted. 👍

chemistry

chemistry

Good morning tokers and growers, hope its bright and sunny where you are, as its gale force winds and driving rain here this morning, been outdoors since first light bolting down every thing I want to keep in my yard. 😁 And the forecast for the indoor garden today is, wall the wall sun, slight breeze, with no rain forecast until the sun goes down. 😁 The indoor plants are doing fine, and just started week five of flower when the lights came on this morning, all are looking fine with good colour and a fair bit of vigor, and still stretching a little. I don't like to have favourites, but the Pure Kush is the best looking of the three, don't know if its me that likes this kind of shape over other plant shapes, but this shape just suits the size of my grow space, and its easy to maintain, as there's room to get my big hands in there with out snapping half the branches off. 😁 The Zkittles is as bushy as plants come, if I had known the Amnesia Lemon was going to fail, I'd have put the Zkittles in the middle of the drain trough so its not swaying against the wall at the back, this is why I'm going to grow three plants down the middle, instead of four plants that touch the wall, its just finding time to make the new custom trough, as building your own custom space, it needs custom troughs and tables as they don't come as a standard size for my needs, so if you ever build a custom space, design it around your standard hardware. 😉 The Juan Herer is doing fine, would have been nice for it to grow a little taller, but as the saying goes, you can't have every thing. 🙂 Got a tube heater now the harsh weather is apon us, came yesterday, just not had the time to fit it in the room yet, hoping to get it sorted this evening. Still not found the pics of my reset Auto Planter, they are here some were, just dumped them some were while I was in a rush, they'll turn up. Not that this method will suit every one, but it works for me, and its as organic as you can get, natural soil from the ground, fed with home made compost, made from plant and garden waste. I'll try to find the pics later and post them next week, it may be worth the wait, but more than likely it wont. 😂 Talking about pics, lets have some. 👍

Pure Kush. If this finishes with another donkey dick centre cola, I'll be impressed.
Pure Kush f4a

Pure Kush f4b

Zkittles. What a bushy babe she is.
Zkittles f4a

Zkittles f4b

Juan Herer. Doing its best, shame about the twisted leaves on some parts of the plant, as its a very nice smoke.
Juan Herer f4a

Juan Herer f4b

You can see the damage, looks like half the plant is doing well, but the other half is struggling, side effect of the trunk damage it seems, as the plants next to it are fine, most important thing is no damage to the muff. 😉
Juan Herer f4d

Group shot.
Group Shot f4a

Other things of note. Been having slight problems with keeping in heat after lights out, as I leave my extractor running on low after the temp side has switched off. Problem I find with a small space is moisture builds up from the plants after lights out and hit 70%+ if I don't leave it idling until the lights come on, then heat builds up, and the heat extraction side of the fan kicks in. Didn't have this problem with the HID as it left plenty of heat to get the plants through the dark hours, its more of a problem now as the LED runs a lot cooler. So to curb the problem I've bought a greenhouse tube heater, a cheap heater from Amazon, with only an in built heat setting. My problem was, how much heat does the space need to compensate for the HID's heat reduction? I have no idea, never mind how to work it out. lol So do you go large or small? I've gone small, based on the idea that if the heater is not enough, then I'll trade it in for a bigger item. The one I bought is 45 watts, and while this doesn't sound a lot, my plan was to go small and take the chill off rather than go large and watch me leaves wrinkle and fall off. lol I had it plugged in this morning while I was having coffee and toast. It gets hot, but not to hot to hold in your hand, some were around a hot drink when you can hold the cup with out using the handle, so I think this will do the job. 😉

This is the one I bought, doesn't have to be green to be a green house heater, but this one is. 🤣 This is what you get in the box.

This is the make and spec written on the box.

Quite well thought out for a cheap heater, we'll see how long it lasts. This is it with the two feet fitted, comes with all the fittings to mount to a wall or floor mounted. 👍

This is the heater with the legs on, the other screws and plugs are for fitting to a wall, or if you don't want it mobile, screw it to the floor.

This is how I'm running my heater, just laid over my fresh air inlet, that way if I have a flood, I don't have to fuck about unscrewing any thing in an emergency, and we all have one of those from time to time. 😉😁

Just got to grab ten minutes to have a smoke and read the instructions later, then hook it up, I'm going to start the heater on a timer, and set it to ten minutes before lights off, that will give it time to heat up, the reason for the timer, is that I want the heater off as the lights come on. So I'll get that job sorted, and next week I'll let you know how its performing, or what type of fire extinguisher I bought from Amazon to put the fire out. 😁 Right, think that's every thing updated, chore time. So if you want to know how the heater performs, or if it doesn't, tune in next week and find out. If it fails I'll do a fire extinguisher unboxing section next week instead of a grow log. lol Until then folks, just keep tokin. 👍

Last edited:
SSgrower

SSgrower

I'll see how this goes for you as to the heater, my night temp goes from 78 day to 70 night on a cool night, real cold the temp drops more and I don't want the swing. Watching for Donkey's! SS Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom