Cloning gone all wrong attempt #5

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Ponky

Ponky

Well. The clones are cut too big. And the lower image looks over watered. I can share how i do my clones. There are net pots. For use with Rockwool cubes or Rapid Rooters. So you take a 5 gallon buckets. Use a hole saw. And make a bubble cloner. Just add an aquarium pump and some air stones. Or a venturi power head.
Or you can use a bubble cloner from the hydro store. They use cloning collars. A 2" neoprene collar you put cutting into. Reusable.
Either method means you just make lots of cuttings. Ph some tapwater. And wait 9 to 21 days for beautiful clones. Then transplant them or use Deep water culture.

The other issue I see is poor draining media watered too often. A better draining mixture and moisture monitor can help.

The more water the more stable it is. I like using a powered because it's means I just plug the bucket in. And the noise isn't that bad.
20210712 170504

goofy81

goofy81

Hi!
I haven't read the replies in detail, but if you want success and fast!
What you need to give the tip

- 100% humidity
- Oxygen
- HEAT !
- Root promoters is not necessary but might make things faster.
- Dome is not necessary but will speed things up !

Ponky

Ponky

Perlite. Promix. And a basic plant food from the grow store expert. 1 part is easier. Grow yourself extra clones with a bubble cloner. And only grow the best ones to maturity. Your grow will turn around in no time. I experiment a lot with clones. And the best ones are mid way up the mother on side branches. And you want about 6" long. And trim off the edge of the leaves so the top down diameter is around 2.5" around to fit the cloner.

Lacey

Lacey

The second pic was a oops. It was suppose to be this pic. I am still learning the forum.
Image02718

mancorn

mancorn

If the little picture is your mother, then that’s the problem. You need a healthy mom, or all your efforts will be for naught.

mancorn

mancorn

Good. But your clones look really tattered. Something’s off. Why are the leaves all burned up?

Lacey

Lacey

Good. But your clones look really tattered. Something’s off. Why are the leaves all burned up?
Thats a good question. I'm hoping someone will be able to give an answer to what I a doing wrong.

mancorn

mancorn

Well if you had nice clones going in and you’re not feeding, then it has to be heat/light, or too much water directly applied to the plants. You said you “brought the plants inside”? Did you have them outside? And did they get exposed to direct sunlight? As that would be a problem. As mentioned several times, they don’t need much light and better off indoors (even if it’s just near a window).

Edit: see where you say they were in a grow room that was too hot. If so, then they’re toast. It’s only a 10 day process, so if you’re cooking em within the first week, then it makes it really hard for them to recover.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Lol, wow.

Your problem is too many leaves. 2 or 3 leaves. NO MORE.

You can do all the money things, but seriously, I grow clones in a cup of water on my computer desk 10 feet away from the nearest shaded window and no additional light with no added anything. No guages, no kits.

Just put them in a glass of water. Change it when it is cloudy. Look again in a week and you will have roots.

Try one. Go clip a cutting. Pinch ALL the leaves off but 2 or 3.

Stick it in water, sit it at the kitchen sink or your desk or by your tv chair.

Then in one week look at it.

Once rooted, plant and GRADUALLY HARDEN it for your tent.

These were started about 9 days ago.

See the leaves the tips are cut off of? Just a couple on each, all the rest is new growth.

You cut a plant off your plant then you want her to sustain that with no roots AND grow some roots at the same time.

Your clones don't care about your rig or if you use rock wool or swiss cheese, they need to be whittled down to something a rootless stick can keep alive and still have energy to grow roots

20210712 224410

Lacey

Lacey

So my clones are too big, too many leaves and had too much heat and too much light. Got it!

I will try it again with smaller clones, less leaves, keep in the house in a shaded place.

Since I already have the fancy stuff, I will give it try..... for the 6th time. 🤪🙄

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Oh, and like with anything else, start smaller. Do 1, get it right. Do 5. Get that right. Then do 50 or 1000.

Starting out doing 50 and fretting over the loss seems futile.

I can't believe no one in your 5 attempts has told you about leaving too many leaves on.

A leaf or 2 is a cutting, more than that and its a plant without roots.

You're cutting needs to put the mass of it's stored energy into making roots

If your leaves turn brown, it means it used too much energy.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
While you do that with all your kit, take one, put it in a cup of water....

You will learn what's happening.

As for too big, I do big, little, tiny and anything else. It isnt how long the stick part is, you can take one a yard long, cut all but 5 leaves off and start it. So it isnt big.

You have to take it all in. Leave enough on to sustain till root growth. So big you can leave more leaves, but still only 4 or 5.

Last edited:
Lacey

Lacey

Oh, and like with anything else, start smaller. Do 1, get it right. Do 5. Get that right. Then do 50 or 1000.

I can't believe no one in your 5 attempts has told you about leaving too many leaves on.

You'd cutting needs to put the mass of it's stored energy into making roots

Of all the grow places I have talked to about the cloning issues, not a single person told me to cut them smaller and have less leaves. Thank You so very much for teaching me.

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
Then... Heat and humidity... You aren't getting that you don't care about transpiring, you are root growing. Don't have it hot enough to kill it or humid enough to drown, but you seem to be worrying over the wrong math.

Energy. It is finite till it gets roots. Don't use it on green, use it on roots.

Lacey

Lacey

Then... Heat and humidity... You aren't getting that you don't care about transpiring, you are root growing. Don't have it hot enough to kill it or humid enough to drown, but you seem to be worrying over the wrong math.

Energy. It is finite till it gets roots. Don't use it on green, use it on roots.
I didn't think of it that way. More leaves would require more energy to keep it growing the top. Less leaves would tell it, it doesnt need to grow a top, but to grow roots instead.🙂

Severance

Severance

Fairly new to this myself, but I'll chip in with what I've found works well for me.

Sterilize cutting implement, take cutting and put in water for a bit. Prep cutting, apply hormone, put straight into mix (I use Canna Terra Pro) with a clear cover - I use glass jars.

Poke a wee hole in the mix, one small spray with a mister into the hole (couple drops of seaweed extract in water) before inserting clone.
Do not water the mix.
Spray inside cover with mister, put over clone. Spray inside cover 2 - 3 times a day for about a week, this alone will put some dampness into the mix.

After its starting to grow and the cover is off, small amounts of water with root stimulant of your choice.

I'm on rainwater, pH around 4.7 to 5 so I use seaweed extract to up it to 5.8. Try to avoid using pH up or down until they are growing, I've messed up clones doing that.

DSC03106

lvstealth

lvstealth

Supporter
dont use glass, it will amplify and refract and bend and twist the light.

Lacey

Lacey

You're cutting needs to put the mass of it's stored energy into making roots

My husband used to clone at his previous place. He had no issues then. Now that we moved, the water is way different and so is the set up. He had water from a natural spring that the PH was perfect! Now, we have a well that has hard water with a PH of 7.5-8 out of the tap.
He also had someone that had a lot more experience to help him and he had a lot more time then.
He was used to going big, so I followed his lead.
I redid the current ones last night just to see if they will actually root. I will go out this morning and get a few small cuttings and try the different ways that have been suggested to find out what works best for me.

Top Bottom