Cloning gone all wrong attempt #5

• Thread starter Lacey
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Lacey

Lacey

I have 4 different ways I am trying.
1. FloraFlex system. FloraFlex cubes and the incubator.
2. Super Sprouter with Rapid Roots cubes (new batch).
3. Jar with water.
4. pots with soil.

All clones were cut from mother plants and directly put into water.
stems cut at 45angle, all but 2 leaves were cut, then the remaining leaves were cut in half as well.
All were dipped in Vita Grow rooting compound and placed in its place.

FloraFlex and Super Sprouter system: All the cubes were soaked in 5.3-5.5 water. All cubes were squeezed to get excess water out. Clones inserted into cubes, and placed into the dome systems .Both tray have a little water on the bottom. The water was PH to 5.3-5.5 Dome was misted, placed on top of trays and placed next to double glass door (no direct sun light). They are inside the house which is around 80 degrees(No AC).

Jar: Ph is 5.3. Placed 1 clone in jar of water, placed near a window(not direct sunlight) In the house at about 80degrees

Pots with soil: 4 starter pots with lightly moist soil. Placed clones directly into soil, misted bag and placed the bag over the pot and placed next to window (not direct sunlight) in the house at about 80 degrees.

These are the ones I am currently doing. I am trying some of the suggestions that was recommended. If anyone has any more info, please share.
As our plants have noticed the light changes are starting to go to flower. I am running out of time to get these done.

Lacey

Lacey

I am now trying it with distilled water. Our water out of our well is about 800+ppm. Maybe this will be the trick.
Something needs to happen, because our ladies have decided to start to flower and the strains I am working with are not easy to get. Most haven't even heard of it.

FozzyB18

FozzyB18

I wonder if cloning success is strain specific. I am the worst grower there is and have nothing but clone success. I trim a few leaves, carve the end into a little spear and stick in a moist peat pellet placed under a half cut bottle of 1 liter coke with a little mist on it. Window ledge light from the east. Leave it alone for 7 days and tons of roots. Last week I yanked a lower branch off one of my outdoor plants and stripped off the bottom skin with my hands than shoved it into the soil a few inches deep. The thing went straight into growth mode. That’s when I realized oh these things are weeds, shove them anywhere and they grow.

DankNugz420

DankNugz420

I got a gorilla glue cut from someone a lil over a month ago that still doesn't have roots but still alive, other stains I already had root in 10 to 15 days in just filtered tap water. Gotta change the water alot tho other wise green algae grows. I've had success with rapid rooter pods, some had roots in 7 days, some up to 14. That was with some root hormone gel after a 45° cut stuffed into water right away for maybe a day or less, then hormone and pod.

Lacey

Lacey

I have tried with 5 different strains. If the current ones don't root I am SOL. Because California is burning down, the smoke cover has now sent every single plants into preflower. I have seeds, and I was successful at starting those. I might have to go that route. But they are older seeds from strains that have died off with popularity of the newer strains. I have Afghan, AK47, Cheese Haze, Purple LSD, Indica Hash, R3 etc.

Lacey

Lacey

Update... the clones that were planted directly in soil are TAKING! I lost 1. They are looking much healthier than the ones I put in the cloner with the dome.
I spent a day and tried all the suggested ways to clone. In 13 days, the soil with a bag is the winner!
The one in the jar with water died.
The cloners with the domes are still sitting there, doing a whole lot of nothing. No roots yet. I have lost several of them.
I might grab some more starter containers and start over. I am running out of time as my ladies have started to preflower.

Thedevilslettuce83

Thedevilslettuce83

We are on attempt #5 of cloning.
Attempt 1: Aeroponics
Water was too cold. Too much light. Did not PH water. We corrected and had about 8 plants root and survive. Lost about 100 clones
Attempt 2: Aeroponics
Heat wave came and water got too warm. PH water was good. Added fan. Every plant went to mush! Lost over 100 clones.
Attempt 3: Riot Root cubes in tray:
Used no dome, Used too much water, PH was good, Used light 12 on 12 off. Nothing rooted. Lost about 60 clones.
Attempt 4: Found out Riot Cubes had a issues with too much glue when they moved facilities. Used a dome, sprayed dome 2 times a day, PH water was good, used light for 12 on 12 off, Changed cubes once we found out about the too much glue issue. Noticed mildew smell then mildew on the stems. Tossed over 60 clones out because of it.

Current attempt #5: New Riot Cubes, Ph water is good, using dome(spray dome twice a day) light 24 on till day 4. Heat wave came again and moved clones into house. Started to smell a bit of mildew, took dome off. we are on day 6 and 3 clones went to mush, 6 more are looking like they are shriveling up.
2/3 of the clones were dipped in ConeX 1/3 were dipped in Vita Grow. The Vita Grow are looking good. No roots yet on any of the clones.
Water level is at the ridges on the bottom of the tray. Dome is off to help with more air flow at the moment.

Tired of loosing clones. Any pointer or things we haven't tried yet?
Never do 12 on 12 off for clones man!!! That probably your issue right there. 18/6 gets be spaghetti looking roots in 6/7 day. I use clonex and classic cloning tray with high humidity. I cut 45° angle 1/2 inch under node and place in tray. I spray with water mist, close it and leave it alone!!!. Open the vents evenly over 4 days after day 6.

20210725 234416
20210713 181117
Thedevilslettuce83

Thedevilslettuce83

Never do 12 on 12 off for clones man!!! That probably your issue right there. 18/6 gets be spaghetti looking roots in 6/7 day. I use clonex and classic cloning tray with high humidity. I cut 45° angle 1/2 inch under node and place in tray. I spray with water mist, close it and leave it alone!!!. Open the vents evenly over 4 days after day 6.
Also add a tea spoon of clonex to a gallon of water. Maby some great white. NO NUTRIENTS!!!!!

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Update... the clones that were planted directly in soil are TAKING! I lost 1. They are looking much healthier than the ones I put in the cloner with the dome.
I spent a day and tried all the suggested ways to clone. In 13 days, the soil with a bag is the winner!
The one in the jar with water died.
The cloners with the domes are still sitting there, doing a whole lot of nothing. No roots yet. I have lost several of them.
I might grab some more starter containers and start over. I am running out of time as my ladies have started to preflower.
Yeah I found peat pellets the best. Rapid rioters are good too but the holes are to big so I flip em upside down and poke new ones lol. But definitely can do em in soil and little starter pots

Lacey

Lacey

About the node thing.... I have read mixed things. Some say cut at the node because it helps to root faster, Some say cut just above it and some say cut below it.
Everyone has their own way of doing things. So, I do a mix of it all. I am not noticing any better or worse results.

The clone trays are still struggling a lot! I have lost at least half of them. It will be 2 weeks tomorrow and still no roots.
The starter pots with a baggie are doing very well. I started more last week and they are happy and perky. The things that boggles my brain is that... Isnt the clone trays and pots with baggie basically the same thing? Not sure why one would be doing better than the other.

Mostlymooses

Mostlymooses

Sounds like you are getting it figured out. If you do ever decide to try aero again, a very important component that I didn't really get down well enough until the last year or two is cleaning your machine between uses. Soak your foam inserts in bleach, your pump, your shell, everything, and really really rinse it all off. Smell everything multiple times to make sure you got em.

I used a 120 slot eZ cloner for a long time and saw so many rounds with some completes and more failures. Back then I thought any number of things could have been the issue, ph, temp, ppm, and I spent a lot of time making sure everything was microscopically perfect.

Now I have a 24 slot garbage cloner from china and I literally only lose clones if I forget something. Usually to plug my machine back in after I check to see if they have any roots popping.

Good luck! Cloning isn't the easiest or simplest part of our job, but it is very gratifying to be able to supply your garden by yourself.

Lacey

Lacey

Sounds like you are getting it figured out. If you do ever decide to try aero again, a very important component that I didn't really get down well enough until the last year or two is cleaning your machine between uses. Soak your foam inserts in bleach, your pump, your shell, everything, and really really rinse it all off. Smell everything multiple times to make sure you got em.

I used a 120 slot eZ cloner for a long time and saw so many rounds with some completes and more failures. Back then I thought any number of things could have been the issue, ph, temp, ppm, and I spent a lot of time making sure everything was microscopically perfect.

Now I have a 24 slot garbage cloner from china and I literally only lose clones if I forget something. Usually to plug my machine back in after I check to see if they have any roots popping.

Good luck! Cloning isn't the easiest or simplest part of our job, but it is very gratifying to be able to supply your garden by yourself.
Thats why I am hellbent on figuring this out. I am sick and tired of Docs constantly wanting to shove pills down my throat. They can't fix my back, its only a matter of time before I can't walk, but hey... Take these pill to ease the pain. Hmmmm, No thanks.
I am on a mission to figure this out and I wont give up.

jguit

jguit

Supporter
What's the condition/health of the plants you're taking the clones from? I like to take healthy clones from a plant showing vigor.

Lacey

Lacey

What's the condition/health of the plants you're taking the clones from? I like to take healthy clones from a plant showing vigor.
It has been a struggle with the mom's. ( I am honest, and don't try to hide anything... That's why I am here... To get help)
Heat wave, nute change, overwatering in the same 2 weeks. They went into preflower because of all the smoke in my area. I know that is one huge issue.
But.......
In the beginning, the mom's were happy, healthy, thriving. We still had the same issue with cloning.
I have some strains that are difficult to get, so that is why I am doing everything I can to continue it.
One strain we are going to just let go of though. It has been cloned off a cloned for several years before we got it. Those things are so stringy now!!!!!

Top Bottom