Colorado gathering

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

How about 11Mile canyon? It's easy to find, got the South Platte River running past many campsites, and if we hit up the spillway campground, it's not a long hike to the reservoir (just about 350ft elevation gain). It IS a little freaky camping right below the dam, but that's because we watch too many movies... There are many first-come first-served campsites in the canyon, but you can also make reservations in the campgrounds with facilities. Great rock climbing and fly fishing in the canyon, and decent fishing in the reservoir. 45 minutes west of colorado springs off highway 24- the turn is at the bait shop in Lake George.

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

I just found out I can get away the 10th-11th. Kids are going to be gone for 2 weeks and this is a great chance for me to get away. 11 Mile Canyon would be great.

sky high

sky high

Doesn't matter to me as long as you guys think we won't be hassled by Rangers or fisherfolks who are....um....downwind of camp.

One question though.....It looks like a popular/highly-used area. How will we secure a large enough camp for all of us? Is someone gonna go up early and hang out?

cool, rocky. Snag that Sur boy too!

s h

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I'll research it when I get off work today. There are plenty of primitive campsites that are first come- and they're not usually any kind of competition for them (don't go on a holiday weekend though). The USFS I believe runs the canyon; it's $4-5 per day. If someone has a better suggestion, I'm certainly open to it, I just need my 11Mile fix soon...LOL.

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

I'm taking that friday off. I'll get there friday morning and grab the big spot down by the dam. Looking forward to seeing everyone this time.

Melizzard

Melizzard

Did you find us a good spot, Alt? Cuz I might be flying solo this time ... so I won't even have Diana's moral support getting in and out of there! ;) Wanna convoy in case I get in trouble? Are the roads good getting to the spot? Nothing too tight, rocky, or rutted? And spots where I can do a U-turn?

xxoo
Melizzard

I'll research it when I get off work today. There are plenty of primitive campsites that are first come- and they're not usually any kind of competition for them (don't go on a holiday weekend though). The USFS I believe runs the canyon; it's $4-5 per day. If someone has a better suggestion, I'm certainly open to it, I just need my 11Mile fix soon...LOL.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

It's gravel road all the way. Some washboard here and there, but it's actually a graded road. Last year I fly fished the canyon all winter and there were a pair of bald eagles that I got to know a little bit. Every time I go, I look for them.

Melizzard

Melizzard

And is the spot you're thinking of big enough for me to park pull-thru? Can't be doin' no back-in crap!!!! LOL

xoo
Melizzard

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Honey they drive big water trucks and construction equipment up to the dam on this road. It's kosher. :)

Melizzard

Melizzard

Well, that's good cuz I found out I am definitely flying solo ... kind of weird ... never been camping by myself before!

xxoo
Mel

Melizzard

Melizzard

Oh, but you never told me if there are spots where I can pull thru rather than back in.

xoo
Mel

Melizzard

Melizzard

Hey, I finally get to meet you, Rocky!!!!! Awesome! And Sputnik ... you gonna be there?

xxoo
mpb

Green Mopho

Green Mopho

Cool....11 mile canyon is a good way from Boulder, but it would be cool to do this!

sky high

sky high

It looks like an incredibly well-worn/overused area, M. I doubt you'll have a problem.

I gotta say that we're on the fence on this one, folks. With the dogs and the weed smokin' and the "regulations" in place at 11 Mile (quiet hours, dogs on leashes @ all times, rangers...pay-to-use, etc.) it's more crowded, developed and regulated than my usual camping fare. I can't even remember the last time I paid to camp/use the forest or camped in an established campground.

the wife has offered to stay at home w/the dogs but that doesn't make it any fun for her.

I just have too many dogs. LOL..................

We'll see how it shakes out....

s h

R

RMCG

It looks like an incredibly well-worn/overused area, M. I doubt you'll have a problem.

I gotta say that we're on the fence on this one, folks. With the dogs and the weed smokin' and the "regulations" in place at 11 Mile (quiet hours, dogs on leashes @ all times, rangers...pay-to-use, etc.) it's more crowded, developed and regulated than my usual camping fare. I can't even remember the last time I paid to camp/use the forest or camped in an established campground.

the wife has offered to stay at home w/the dogs but that doesn't make it any fun for her.

s h

Dogs will ruin your life, for the better...
:mmm
:party0042:

Melizzard

Melizzard

Well, nothing sez we HAVE to do 11-mile. I would prefer less regulation too, but my rig puts limits on me. Any other spot you would prefer? At this point, I may not be able to go either ... we need to get at least ONE horse camping trip in ... and if we could pick a spot where we could high picket the ponies, we could combine them. ;) That way, the hubby could come and enjoy himself, since he can't partake, with the horses. If not, we might have to cancel and go horse camping instead. August is out for camping for us ... and Sept might be dicey. So have to grab ONE weekend anyway ... way too much work to have unwinterized that camper for just our one measly campout. LOL

xoo
Melissa

s h

sky high

sky high

I'm not asking/suggesting folks change their plans. I've just been on the recieving end of the barking and commotion someone else's dogs can bring to a (once) quiet canyon and don't want to be the guilty party in this instance.

you should call the Ranger office @ the canyon and see about horses. Seems like a perfect place for riding (?) Might be worth checkin out.

s h

Melizzard

Melizzard

I personally don't mind changing spots. As for horses, you can have horses pretty much anywhere in the Forest ... isn't 11-mile in the Forest?

xxoo
mpb

rockymtnbuds

rockymtnbuds

I've seen people w/horses camping back there. We might do better in some of the large "primitive" sites rather than going all the way into the canyon. If this sounds better I can look for a large spot for us when I go in next friday mornng.
I don't think you have to pay the acces fee or camping fee in these areas.

Top Bottom