>>>>>>Colorado Medical Marijuana Laws are changing<<<<<<

• Thread starter sky high
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sky high

sky high

Happenin's from the Annual Fife Family reunion....

Colorado AG John Suthers lauded by state drug investigators

By William Breathes, Thu., Aug. 19 2010 @ 10:54AM

​Colorado Attorney General John Suthers was recognized by his peers yesterday for his enforcement of drug laws across the state. Yes, that's the same John Suthers who likened medical marijuana to a magical genie that needed to be put back in the bottle.

And he thinks University of Colorado dorms have arrangements with local dispensaries.

The Colorado Drug Investigators Association honored Suthers on August 18 at its annual meeting -- held in Breckenridge, ironically, the town that voted to decriminalize recreational marijuana use last year.

The organization also honored Adams County District Attorney Don Quick for what he has done to "improve" Colorado drug laws, including the state's newly created medical marijuana regulations. Quick has been a vocal skeptic of medical marijuana laws and has openly opposed the dispensary model now in place.

B

bigsur51

Federal court in Colorado bars marijuana defense (AP) – 2 hours ago

DENVER — A Colorado pot grower facing federal drug charges after he bragged about his marijuana business to a TV station won't be allowed to use the state's medical marijuana law in his defense.

U.S. District Judge Philip Brimmer has sided with federal prosecutors in their case against Chris Bartkowicz (BART-ko-wits).

Federal drug authorities raided Bartkowicz's suburban Denver home and he was indicted in May with a federal charge of cultivating marijuana. Bartkowicz says he was following state medical marijuana rules.

Federal prosecutors said Bartkowicz had more plants than the state permits, but also said state laws on marijuana wouldn't matter in a federal court.

Marijuana activists say growers are being targeted by federal authorities despite state laws.

Tripsick

Tripsick

So much for them standing down. Great when the law enforces their own beliefs.

Was the high energy use going unpaid? i thought as long as you paid on time they didn't care what you were doing... So does the electric company send LEO the high energy bills compared to their neighbors?

i guess the world is full of narcs.

R

RMCG

120 plants?

Ouch. It looks like this could be another case of "Don't drop the soap".

"Hey Barney, why is this electric meter spinni' so fast?"

And the magic number is??? _ _

High energy use tips off police to pot farm

August 19, 2010 6:00 AM
MATT STEINER / THE GAZETTE

Three people in Pueblo have been arrested after high energy consumption led to suspicions they were growing marijuana illegally.

The Pueblo County Sheriff’s Narcotics Unit used a warrant Friday, entered the house in the 1700 block of Cougar Drive and found about 120 marijuana plants growing in the basement. A complex system of vents and hydroponic equipment and were also found, according to area news sources.

Joseph Leyba, Coryanne Drummond and Nicholas Shaffer have been charged with possession with intent to sell marijuana and cultivation of marijuana.

Read more:

No mention if that was medical or not.

Either way, 120 in a residential is bad and would not be covered under 1284 as you are limited to 5 patients and caregivers can't 'team up'. (regardless of all this edible rec BS going on now).

Tripsick

Tripsick

yeah i noticed they didnt say anything about medical. Plus im pretty sure commercial power is cheaper as long as you can get zoned to grow there.

I know a few people that are putting a lot of stock into the Edible recs... I wont go over 6 no matter what... i'm even attempting air layering when cloning my plants...

R

RMCG

yeah i noticed they didnt say anything about medical. Plus im pretty sure commercial power is cheaper as long as you can get zoned to grow there.

I know a few people that are putting a lot of stock into the Edible recs... I wont go over 6 no matter what... i'm even attempting air layering when cloning my plants...

How about a perpetual sativa 'redwood' with grafted 'finishers' all over it?

:rofl

B

bigsur51

Medical marijuana patients may have to find new caregivers because of language in new

HB 1284, the medical marijuana regulatory bill signed into law by Bill Ritter in June, is so complicated that many of its elements still aren't widely understood by MMJ patients and caregivers -- or people who are both. Consider the plight of one patient-caregiver, who recently learned he'll have to choose a new caregiver, and reduce the number of people for whom he cares, due to a little-known passage.

The circular language in question reads as follows: "A patient who has designated a primary caregiver for himself or herself may not be designated as a primary caregiver for another patient."

The impact of this portion of the law is potentially far-reaching. According to MMJ advocate Timothy Tipton, representatives of the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment have recommended for years that husbands name their wives as their caregiver, and vice versa. But the sentence above disallows that practice. And the same goes for patient-caregivers who've designated friends and colleagues to supply their medication in exchange for doing the same for them.

That's the case for one patient-caregiver in the Denver area who agreed to speak to Westword on the subject if we agreed not to use his name. He's 59-years old and has suffered from lupus, an autoimmune disorder that can attack joints, tendons and organs, including the skin, for more than a decade. He says since beginning to smoke medical marijuana to address his symptoms, his quality of life has improved dramatically.

"I was taking twenty or 22 different prescription medications, including Prednisone, and basically puking them up as soon as I took them," he recalls. "Then my doctor at the time advised me to try smoking marijuana, and I've been able to reduce the other medications to fourteen, and no Prednisone at all unless I have to have surgery, which I do on occasion. And I can keep the medications down."

Before long, he decided to become his own caregiver. A couple of years later, he'd gained enough experience, and had enough medicine, "to help other people," he notes. "I became a caregiver for one patient first, and then another. And in working that out and learning how to grow, I became friends with another fellow who's also a patient. And he became my caregiver, and I became his caregiver. But now, the new law prohibits that, as I read it."

Thumbnail image for some marijuana.jpg
​He's right. According to health department spokesman Mark Salley, "the language that you can't be a patient and a caregiver, too, does represent a change from the past." As a result, "if someone is a patient and something comes through for them identifying that patient as a caregiver, the application would be denied. Or if someone is already on the registry as a caregiver and the completed application came through for them as a patient, and they were already listed as someone's caregiver, then that caregiver relationship would have to cease."

This edict presents a whole range of complications for the patient-caregiver.

"I'm a very small operation," he says. "Even though I have two legal patients and could flower nine plants, I only flower four in two small closets that I use -- and when I had extra product, extra medicine, I would give it to Timothy. But that's also prohibited now unless I fill out a 25-page form and pay all these fees to be a grower for one of these big dispensary operations, and I'm too small for that."

As a result, "I think I'm going to have to do is just become my own caregiver and only flower three plants -- and I won't be able to help anybody else. I won't be able to help my current caregiver if he has a crop failure or something like that, and I won't be able to help my other patients. They'll have to go to some other center."

That's better than nothing, the patient-caregiver concedes, but he still thinks this aspect of the law "isn't well thought-out from a patient's point of view, or from a caregiver's point of view. It's focused on these big operations, and because of the way it's written, I'm being forced to cut back, even though I'm really small.

"I do think there was a kind of gold rush that started to happen a couple of years ago, and certainly there are doctors out there who are signing papers for people who don't have a real medical problem -- and that's an abuse of the system. But there are also real patients like me, who have chronic pain and chronic nausea and other problems that medical marijuana actually helps. It was meant for compassionate use, and I think the congressmen and the senators and the governor and the health department and the Department of Revenue have lost sight of that."

http://blogs.westword.com/latestwor...caregivers_because_of_language_in_new_law.php

sky high

sky high

But there are also real patients like me, who have chronic pain and chronic nausea and other problems that medical marijuana actually helps. It was meant for compassionate use, and I think the congressmen and the senators and the governor and the health department and the Department of Revenue have lost sight of that."

The State/govenor/CODPHE and DOR are not the only ones who have lost sight of the original intent of Amendment 20.

IMO, anyone who holds a commercial license today also falls solidly into this category.

What a scam all the way around.

L

LOWLIFE

sad daze for the emerald rectangle

Having bad diabetes I suffer a lot of discomfort with nausea dizziness stomach cramps joint pain n random flashes of pain from nerve damage. Not to mention anxiety depression and appetite problems that go with a shitty disease like this. I've had diabetes for some time but this summer it got dramatically worse to the point I nearly died on and off couple months straight
and its made me realize how medically important herbs is to some. I've helped a few sick people through tough times with a little green but its hard to understand until you are a REAL patient with a real need. Its a shame the laws have been so twisted for money that the REAL patients with the real needs are suffering again going back to the streets. Dispensary prices have caused quality to take such a shit most bud for sale in them doesn't cut it for real medical needs nowadays anyhow.

This aint what its all about here in God's country my friends! Well off to chase that Rocky Mountain High!

Much love n respect neighbors!

:passingjoint:

Dorje

Dorje

IMO, anyone who holds a commercial license today also falls solidly into this category.

That's ridiculous... 1284 forced a lot of GOOD caregivers into growing for a dispensary.

Don't blame the people trying to make it, it's our lawmakers who have failed us.

And anyway... most retailers are d-bags regardless of what they sell, disp. owners are no different. Some are ok though....

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light

I guess I should have just got a job at Home Depot then instead of busting my ass, spendin a ton of money, developing products, have the state crawl up my ass, moving businesses, fighting with city council, etc....all to continue to help patients in need.

Guess I am intrenched in the scam...lol

Tex

L

LOWLIFE

I guess I should have just got a job at Home Depot then instead of busting my ass, spendin a ton of money, developing products, have the state crawl up my ass, moving businesses, fighting with city council, etc....all to continue to help patients in need.

Guess I am intrenched in the scam...lol

Tex

Well part of correcting a problem is realising ya got one! LOL
Nah you crazies fucking around with concentrates are begging for federal trouble and deserve some pay for all that technical crap but imo not herbs intention to regulated pharm. Stupid bullshit! My ancestors been using this herbs 14000 years just fine without all the hassle. Its a fucking weed AFTER ALL. Legalize it drop its value comparible to apples and we'll all get high...some of us may need to find new jobs tuff luck.

peace :mad0233:

K

kuz

Oil has some better medicinal value, doesnt have to be pharm to be better. Legalize, I agree, the dispensary isnt going anywhere, some people will still prefer to buy there. I cant explain why people go there now, unless they have no other connection and if so they are probably legit medical.

Speaking of change, how much outdoors is going to come out of the wood work this fall, with no easy outlet sell it.

M

mendel

The State/govenor/CODPHE and DOR are not the only ones who have lost sight of the original intent of Amendment 20.

Dont sweat it sky, in 5 yrs when the Colorado mmj industry has been decimated by fools and thieves, theyll move on, just like they always do.

While I have participated in the dispensary model in the past, we have made the decision to pull out, its just too dodgy these days. When youve got amatuer business people buying warehouse for 3k and selling it to sick people for close to 9k, and patting themselves on the back while theyre doing it I might add, its nothing id be proud to get behind.:no:no:no

All we can do is help needy patients as much as possible, and watch the show. It ought to be funny as all hell.

B

BoCo Buds

This isn't altogether fair... there are some really good people in the commercial/mmc side of things.

Most of the shops/grows I've been into as of late... including the one i'm at now... has had some really, really, really nice people with nothing but the best of intentions.

Major issue is that those good intentions can't overcome a lack of any experience in doing what good farmers do.

Practically every set-up I've seen has equipment & design problems (plus how they actually run it) that basically set them up for failure... to the point that it becomes necessary to treat, or go bko... which is going to be the case all across the state in the next 6 mo or so... many will just fail.

And a shit ton of reppin growers that really have no clue.

Not all people are bad... but good people do find themselves in bad spots sometimes.

But yeah, most of the crap in the mmc's are commercial grade shit & a lot of fukn aholes in the biz... no doubt.

BUT, don't fool yourselves... the 'movement' came from stoners/growers/dealers not wanting to go to jail anymore... and that is what the super-majority of membership is... and that is where the really good shit comes from. Don't bite the hand that feeds you ;-) esp if it's really good shit! lol

sky high

sky high

Much respect, mendel.

Yessir, it's gonna be one hell of a show once the house of cards starts to fall. Like weed, I forsee the prices of personalized license plates dropping dramatically within the next year or so.

be safe bro

s h

Texas Kid

Texas Kid

Some guy with a light
I swear man, the merchant of doom and gloom...no house of cards is falling, not now and not in the forseeable future...we have moved from building with playing cards to Acme bricks my friend and we aren't goin anywhere..the state won't let us, remember we're payin the bills right now for the rest of the shortfalls in the budget.

Tex

L

LOWLIFE

I swear man, the merchant of doom and gloom...no house of cards is falling, not now and not in the forseeable future...we have moved from building with playing cards to Acme bricks my friend and we aren't goin anywhere..the state won't let us, remember we're payin the bills right now for the rest of the shortfalls in the budget.

Tex

If that makes you feel better! You go Ol'Tex! Ha ha...
Don't get me wrong I got no problem with the silly black death oil swindlin going down....I didn't mean I don't like oils...i make my own cherry shit on occasion.

I say Sky is dead on. We'll see who is preaching doom n gloom from Penrose Federal Pen! LOL
Dude the federal government is actively pursueing a shitload of prosecution in med states against mj farmers. People fucking around with concentrates n outing themselves might as well be running meth labs in police parking lots! Good luck! Stay positive! :character0029:

M

mendel

The WORLD economy is in the greatest decline in history. When these things happen, as they have in the past (think weimar germany) the govt will tighten all regulation, increase taxes, and micro-managed law enforcement will ensue. fed.gov will increase raids, and forefeiture auctions will be on every corner, kind of like the guys in gorilla suits waving signs to get folk into their pot shops.

In case noone noticed, a week or so ago congress voted to take funds from food stamps to fund a teacher union bailout. This is the tip of the iceberg. IMO in less than 3 yrs there will be no more social security or medicare/medicaid. This will essentially cut any extra $$ people had available to solicit dispensaries. not to mention the expiry of the bush tax cuts, and the new obama care taxes. Add in an actual (the govt lies, they are using skewed math) 20%+ unemployment rate, and its a recipe for disaster.

I think as the chips fall, anyone who is growing to any largescale degree or running a visible, above the board med mj business is painting a target on their backs.

With the extensive govt info gathering and the forthcoming economic collaspse, I think its a very poor career choice. All you who have signed power of attorney over to the state of Colorado, you have my condolences.

Top Bottom