Colorado outdoor activities.

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

What do you do besides grow and enjoy our favorite herb? Colorado is a beautiful state and with ski season coming to a close I thought it would be a good time to do a summer activities thread. Tell us what you do to keep fit or just keep the boredom from knocking down the door.

Waterton Canyon finally opened up again after being closed to the public for almost 2 years so I hiked up the the 2nd diversion this weekend. Surprise, not crowded at all! The word on it's opening must not have spread yet.

It's a great hike/bike ride and hooks up with the Colorado trail. Try it before the crowds come back.

putembk

putembk

Well fuck, loaded and happy. Since there have been over 4o views and no responses I will just respond to myself. Great thread P, I'm going fishing tomorrow with a well respected member of this forum. I plan on keeping him so medicated all day that he won't remember what happened. Pictures of the fish to follow. Hopefully he will survive to fish/grow another day but that remains to be seen.

It's funny what you do and say when you are loaded, will hate myself tomorrow but I'll be fishing.

ttystikk

ttystikk

My grandfather used to say, 'ah, the fishing was grand!' When people assumed he meant that he'd caught a bunch of fish and wanted to see the haul, he often- though not always- replied, 'the catching was poor, but the fishing was grand!'

That's why I fish, too- and I'd love to burn a few with some fellow Colorado farmers on a nice section of some beautiful Colorado trout stream!

Hell, I tell people I don't use a walking stick to hike, I use a fishing rod- not to walk with, but as an excuse to go do it in the first place... otherwise it's just another damn walk.

If it doesn't snow some more though, we're gonna have a shit highwater rafting season...

M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Loved living out in the mountains. Used to mountain bike all over Boulder, played alot of frisbee, fished many streams and top mountain lakes. Go for a swim in the lake at the bottom of St Mary's glacier, you'll remember that swim. I got drunk and pissed into the stream that runs into the Golden(coors) brewery, old girlfriend was a coors light drinker. Would go snowboarding at St. Mary's glacier all year(summer) or in the avalanche shoots kinda hairy. Lots of rock climbing, climbed all 3 big rocks above the park in Boulder. Shooting guns is also fun, even make my own firecrackers. Now I live in the mountains of Indiana, it is very hilly where I live but nothing like the rockies. You are all very fortunate living in Colorado, take care and be well
ttystikk your grandfather was a smart man

mal

altimood

altimood

Loved living out in the mountains. Used to mountain bike all over Boulder, played alot of frisbee, fished many streams and top mountain lakes. Go for a swim in the lake at the bottom of St Mary's glacier, you'll remember that swim. I got drunk and pissed into the stream that runs into the Golden(coors) brewery, old girlfriend was a coors light drinker. Would go snowboarding at St. Mary's glacier all year(summer) or in the avalanche shoots kinda hairy. Lots of rock climbing, climbed all 3 big rocks above the park in Boulder. Shooting guns is also fun, even make my own firecrackers. Now I live in the mountains of Indiana, it is very hilly where I live but nothing like the rockies. You are all very fortunate living in Colorado, take care and be well
ttystikk your grandfather was a smart man

mal
I used to hit St. Mary's all the time in my younger days, way before kids, marriage, and all this. Would cart beers up that trail, scavenger hunt for that firewood. Snowboarding in june- july, the good ol' days. Today I'm takin my 10 year old to loveland to snowboard for the first time which is great because he'll get hooked (he's a skateboarder) and i'll get to start riding again! Yeeeaaahh boooooooyyyeee!!! I can still carve with the best of em' LOL!

putembk

putembk

Well right now I can't carve anything, in fact I'm to tired to chew my dinner. Canannado did this to an old man on purpose. All we did all afternoon is fight huge rainbows. (pictures to follow) What a great day on the river, the weather was perfect!! We were only a few miles from the fire but saw no signs, I hope they are gaining ground on this thing. Sad to see our forests burn like this. I even tipped the guide a big bud....bet he is having a good time tonight. lol

turbo14

turbo14

Love to get baked and mountain bike, backpack, and off-road.

turbo

Reactions: mal
M

mal

Premium Member
Supporter
Its been 25 years since I've been to St Mary's but the memories, glad you caught lots of fish putembk. Do you guys ever keep any? Fresh rainbow and sum butter = Heaven. Hope all is well with you and yours

mal

putembk

putembk

Its been 25 years since I've been to St Mary's but the memories, glad you caught lots of fish putembk. Do you guys ever keep any? Fresh rainbow and sum butter = Heaven. Hope all is well with you and yours

mal
Sure glad that they decided not to put a ski resort at St Marys. Fall river road couldn't handle traffic like that. Mal, yes I do keep fish but the place we were at yesterday was a catch and release only fishery. The question here is, why would anybody pay $175 plus tip only to release all fish. Answer is simple: these fish are huge. When Canarado posts the pics you will see. Most people in Colorado never catch big fish. Thats because they are only catching stocked fish put there by the Division of Wildlife. Before they get a chance to grow big they are caught and the place gets fished out, then the Division puts in more stockers. It's a viscous cycle that never ends.

The Gold Medal and catch and release areas provide and opportunity to catch more and bigger fish. But, If I catch a 16" or bigger out of a lake...well sometimes that becomes dinner.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Do shows at Red Rocks count? It's outdoors, 100% Colorado, and one of my favorite things to do.

outwest

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
If it's outdoor and you do it, post it!!

Thanks, Pute. I think I've seen over 100 at Red Rocks. Truly nothing like it. Think I'll be biking later today. Should be another gorgeous one. :D

Here's a legendary photo for the Dead Heads on the farm. Definitely "A
nother times forgotten space." 1978

DEADRR sf

putembk

putembk

I was at the Jethro Tull concert in 1969 when the police tear gassed the place. Red Rocks couldn't hold all the peeps that came to watch them play. The people outside started to get rowdy when they couldn't get tickets, started throwing rocks and various other shit. Finally the cops had enough and started gassing the crowd. One big problem, the wind blew the gas into the amphitheater and we all got gassed. The concert was stopped and the City of Denver banned all rock concerts there for years.
I live about 10 minutes from there.

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter
Great story! The Grateful Dead were banned in 87 (don't know the story there), and Phish in 96 because of altercations between fans and cops in Morrison. Phish was invited back in 09, and the crowd was on their best behavior. Here is a hilarious Phish/Red Rocks story from The Onion: http://www.theonion.com/articles/phish-collapses-onstage,1076/

outwest

Melizzard

Melizzard

I lovvvvvve to take my pony, trailer, and camper especially to Jacks Gulch! Ride in all that beauty, come back, eat lunch and get baked. Spend the rest of the afternoon and evening enjoying God's creation. :)

T

TurboAllWD

Now i'm hooked on fly fishing, thanks to putembk! He tossed me a fly rod with a fish on the hook, the carp was hooked in the head, dude has skills! Looking forward to seeing pics of those monster trout. Maybe I'll try to get pics posted up of the saltwater fish i caught down in the keys, since i dont have any of Colorado fish just yet. It seems like theres just as much fun to be had in the rivers as there is in the oceans! Especially when yah medicated and fishin in the water. =) Good times, plan on getting my own gear and taking up the sport! Now if only i could find a setup that i can throw on the street bike and roll out.

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Glad to see you had fun turbo. Sorry i missed the action. We'll all have to get out sometime soon

T

TurboAllWD

It's cool, lookin forward to catchin some fish with ya. Yea you missed out dude, there were fish spawning all over the place! Not to mention I pulled off some stuff only the biggest idiots could dream of pulling off. I'm sure putembk could elaborate on that but i'd rather save the embarrasment for in person. hahaha

K

kolah

looks like summer is over! I am hunkered down,.... snow, wind and just nasty shit.

Gotta love Colorado though! It will be 60-70 in 2-3 days.

putembk

putembk

Now that's what I'm talken about!! Had a great, time with turbo yesterday on a spur of the moment fishing trip. Weather was a little chilly but the trees kept the wind off of the water for the most part. The cold kept almost all people away, the fact that is was a Monday didn't hurt either.

Here is what is so good about it. I took a young man less than 1/2 my age to try something he had never done before and we both now have a memory not soon forgotten. We talked about fishing techniques, cars and growing. I learned a lot and I hope turbo did as well. The smile on turbo's face and the squeal of happiness when ever he had a fish on is something worth being a part of. Reminds me of the first time I ever used a fly rod... It's not better than sex but close.

We took a couple of breaks and just sat on the bank and shared each others meds. To put is bluntly, I got real fucked up!! I can't keep up with you younger guys. Somehow I survived to fish another day.

Latest posts

Top Bottom