Colorado outdoor activities.

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Great pics! Had a wonderful time. The guide sure liked us for some reason. lmfao

putembk

putembk

Just got back from a quick trip to the mountains. Winter Park is in bad shape, think they are closing thins weekend and they need to. There was more mud than snow at the bottom. The snow pack is going away fast and if we don't start getting some moisture soon the mountains are going to burn up this summer. The Colorado River was running way to low for this time of year and it seems like there will be no or very little runoff this spring. One nice thing is that everything is running about 3 weeks ahead of normal this year which brings warm almost summer like days up high. I was actually fishing with dry flies to rising fish on the Colorado. Something I normally don't get to do until after the river drops and clears up. I'm planning on spending a lot of time on the water this summer and If you are planning a trip and need some company give me a call.

Reactions: mal
true grit

true grit

Damn so how long does it take to get the fly fishing technique down? Im a gulf fisherman and know nothing of actually fishing "skill" per say...just how to bait a hook, follow birds and where to go. lol.

Mad Red Rocks goer here as well...caught a good 10-15 at least last year I'd say. I just love music and outdoors. Still have not got up to any snow yet though!

cannarado

cannarado

Premium Member
Supporter
Damn so how long does it take to get the fly fishing technique down? Im a gulf fisherman and know nothing of actually fishing "skill" per say...just how to bait a hook, follow birds and where to go. lol.

Mad Red Rocks goer here as well...caught a good 10-15 at least last year I'd say. I just love music and outdoors. Still have not got up to any snow yet though!

How quick you learn depends on who you fish with!haha

Ill get you started just let me know mang. Might have to get a farm-fly-fish-o-rama hatched out. Between putembk and i theres got to be enough gear to get some fools on the water. Shit if we dont get'em on the flyrods we'll just smoke'em out!

true grit

true grit

Ill get you started just let me know mang. Might have to get a farm-fly-fish-o-rama hatched out. Between putembk and i theres got to be enough gear to get some fools on the water. Shit if we dont get'em on the flyrods we'll just smoke'em out!

Lol sounds good homie. Ill renew my fishing license and soon and ill be ready to get down. Do you have to wear the traditional fly fisherman gear? lol.

No disrespect to a spinning rod, but spin fishing is like using a rubber! Fly fishing is like....don't know never had to stop to put one on.

ha. classic. yeah I'm a spin cast redfish, flounder and sea trout fisherman. Can show ya how to cast net as much live bait and work flounder like ya wouldn't believe tho!

outwest

outwest

Premium Gardener
Supporter

As an old friend says, if we don't catch any fish, at least we'll catch a buzz!

outwest

putembk

putembk

The Caddis are just about ready to start hatching in Salida!! Right now they are down around the Texas Creek area and should be in Salida by the end of the week. The water temp just reached 55 degrees and that means bugs!! It will take 3 or 4 days for the fish to dial in on this new food source and should be in full swing by early next week. This is a once a year feeding frenzy and should not be overlooked by the dry-fly enthusiast. The nice thing about fishing a Caddis hatch is your cast doesn't have to be perfect. Caddis are poor at flying and they splash and skip across the water so a fish will take almost anything on top during the hatch.
I am going to try and make it up there a couple of times before it's over so if you want to ride along pm me.

ttystikk

ttystikk

I missed the last go-round, and I've been kicking myself for it ever since. Might have to hook up this time... see if I can catch a break from my ladies this week?

Re. fishing with a spinner; if you can believe this, it's how I learned to flyfish! I had a screwball rig where I'd put a clear bubble on just above a swivel, then run a yard of leader and a dryfly. Parachute Adams, mostly. I'd catch fish and piss off guys in $800 worth of shiny new gear they just got out of Cabela's. Good times...

What those guys didn't know of course, was that I had incentive; I was so damned poor back in those days that if I didn't come home with a fish, I wasn't eating that night. Incentive like that worked wonders. I've had a flyrod for years now, but I'm still not sure I'm any better with it than I was with the spinner rig. Just fewer tangles, lol

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Nice pics, cannarado. I love to fish, but havent had a chance since I moved here. Growing up on the Gulf in TX, I always favored salt water fishing..bigger fish to fry ;) . But, after living in the southeast for a couple of decades, I started getting into bass fishing. I went fishing on the S Platte about 6 years ago when I was out here visiting, and would like to go back..w a guide! I dont know if it was what I was using or just me myself, but Ive never been so off. I always have a good time either way, but I like to kill 'em when I go out.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hoping on hitting the Gunnison this evening for some much needed flyfishing. Will have to kickass on farm, got to finish a barn clean out, chores, honeydos, then maybe head to river for evening hatch, blue wing Olives and caddisis should be hatching. I fish the river during summer allmost daily to beat the heat.. Just about everytime I go something special happens. last time I was wading in the middle of the river, fishing was slow. Another fisherman was headed out and a huge rainbow jumped a foot out of the water. I said wow did you see that?? He sais no and just then it jumped again twice. Shroomin on the river is the best. Just a few enhances my vision, coordination when wading, concentration, its awesome, really focused and totaly dialed in. All the rocks are alive with color and everything is swirlly and it seems like iam part of the river.
Hey Pute, heard they may be jetboat rides this year up to Smith fork, you must come durin the stone fly hatch,

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Hey Pute its on for jetboat up the gunnie, call me...

putembk

putembk

C-Man, I was waiting for the river to clear up. With things running so low this year it probably already is. I have my pontoon boat ready and can't wait to come over and give it a try.

Will be very busy the next couple of weeks and a 3 or 4 day get away will be hard. As soon as things slow down here and the bugs really get to hatching I will come knocking. Don't forget to Put-em-bk.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Gunnie gorge clear as a bell and low, 350 cfs. Can get boated up with pontooner to Smith fork with camping gear and mushies spend the nite, float and fish on way out. We stay above Entrada wall overnite, hit preachers rock, rock garden honeyhole all real nice, Have not been up to smith fork fork foe 1 year as last year no jet boat on river. Chores done, wife happy, lookin good for 1 pm on riverm can wait just may mush out just a llittle....Lower section no good till june or so, awesome jetboats baxkinb action, totaly awesome day on the river and worth the expense,,

putembk

putembk

Sounds like a ball. That will be at least a 3 day up and back and I just have to much going on right now. Things are going to slow down in 2 to 3 weeks and that fits well into the lower section. Will start planning on a trip up as soon as the water clears near the confluence.
By the way I am trimming the Grape Stomper today and flushing the Banana Kush. Sampled the Stomper yesterday and a nice grape taste and a very cerebral high. Great Stuff!! Altimood puts out some good stuff.

pRiMo303

pRiMo303

Hoping on hitting the Gunnison this evening for some much needed flyfishing. Will have to kickass on farm, got to finish a barn clean out, chores, honeydos, then maybe head to river for evening hatch, blue wing Olives and caddisis should be hatching. I fish the river during summer allmost daily to beat the heat.. Just about everytime I go something special happens. last time I was wading in the middle of the river, fishing was slow. Another fisherman was headed out and a huge rainbow jumped a foot out of the water. I said wow did you see that?? He sais no and just then it jumped again twice. Shroomin on the river is the best. Just a few enhances my vision, coordination when wading, concentration, its awesome, really focused and totaly dialed in. All the rocks are alive with color and everything is swirlly and it seems like iam part of the river.
Hey Pute, heard they may be jetboat rides this year up to Smith fork, you must come durin the stone fly hatch,
Ive never fly fished, but Id like to learn how. Ill definitely be brewing beer on the back porch here soon. On the rivers fun...so is in the back yard w the projector! :)

Latest posts

Top Bottom