Colorado Outdoor Greenhouse Big Plant

• Thread starter GreenTrees88
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Purpletrain

Purpletrain

Scoop, glad you mentioned pot size. Over the last few years I have been increasing my pot size. My 40 gallon beds produce about 75-85% of what my 250 gallon bed can do. I agree with the veg time and it doesn't make 'much' of a difference having a huge pot. Also being in a small greenhouse my smaller beds leave me with more managable plants. Plus my small beds flower earlier and are done a few weeks sooner. Less money, almost as good as yeild and done earlier; that is a win for me.
I would have to disagree pot size or medium size is quite a big difference , in many ways
CEC nutrients available and as well root mass.
not saying you will not do well but before i used to use 3 gallon pots for instance 5 week veg etc then i lowered plant count went up to 34 gallon totes not only did i say bigger gains in yield ( same veg time ) but i saw much healthier root growth lets face allowing roots to grow and become large only increases nutrient uptake right ??
Now out door again pending on veg times it might not make to much of a difference in size of plant but i think it makes a difference in yield
more root mass = more soil when growing in less mass roots become root bound
I say next year give it a try grow exact same strain one in 25 gallon pot and another in 50 gallon see for your self

Underthesun

Underthesun

I would have to disagree pot size or medium size is quite a big difference , in many ways
CEC nutrients available and as well root mass.
not saying you will not do well but before i used to use 3 gallon pots for instance 5 week veg etc then i lowered plant count went up to 34 gallon totes not only did i say bigger gains in yield ( same veg time ) but i saw much healthier root growth lets face allowing roots to grow and become large only increases nutrient uptake right ??
Now out door again pending on veg times it might not make to much of a difference in size of plant but i think it makes a difference in yield
more root mass = more soil when growing in less mass roots become root bound
I say next year give it a try grow exact same strain one in 25 gallon pot and another in 50 gallon see for your self

Pot size does matter with cec in 5 gallon pots vs 50 gallon, like you said. But I was talking 40 gallon vs. 200+ gallon. I have no problem with my organics in a 40 gallon bed. We are just saying that medium sized bed/pot such as 50 gallons, may be fine in our CO climate with no need to go huge. But I agree a 5 gallon pot with a living soil would be a pain in the ass. We agree I guess.

G

GreenTrees88

Colorado has not so good light hrs that is your biggest down fall i mean when do you guys stick them out ??? last week of may ??? any sooner you fall for clones flipping to flower then stuck with a plant re vegging which kills time .. then you have at most 12 weeks of veg before they start to flip in first week of august ...
Does this sound right ??? i mean max daylight you get is 14.8 hrs and that is only for 2 weeks by August your at triggering flower
You can put out by May 12th. Most started budding by August 15th

Purpletrain

Purpletrain

You can put out by May 12th. Most started budding by August 15th
never looked but after adding 39.5 lat in the light hr i posted above i wonder if anyone that has clones on 24 hrs lighting or 18 hr when they stick them out @ 14 hrs of light that they do not start to stretch for flower being shorted 4 hrs or even 10 hrs pending on indoor light hrs they were on ???
@ 14 hrs out door in my neck of the woods the plants will flip out in colorado its a slow raise in light hrs maxing out at 14.8 then starts the decline not much time to grow really big plants i mean sure one can grow them big but tall lanky compared to
Gallery 11738 4908 793870 1

G

GreenTrees88

never looked but after adding 39.5 lat in the light hr i posted above i wonder if anyone that has clones on 24 hrs lighting or 18 hr when they stick them out @ 14 hrs of light that they do not start to stretch for flower being shorted 4 hrs or even 10 hrs pending on indoor light hrs they were on ???
@ 14 hrs out door in my neck of the woods the plants will flip out in colorado its a slow raise in light hrs maxing out at 14.8 then starts the decline not much time to grow really big plants i mean sure one can grow them big but tall lanky compared to View attachment 635683
I put out solar lights when I planted outdoors. They went from 16 inside.
Where are you at Purplerain? Southern Colorado is south of Humboldt County by about 2 degrees latitude. I think they grow some pretty big plants in Humboldt???

scoop

scoop

in colorado its a slow raise in light hrs maxing out at 14.8 then starts the decline not much time to grow really big plants i mean sure one can grow them big but tall lanky compared to

I'll wager hugely (now bigly) that's a copped photo of a Cali garden....not a garden in Canada.

And what our northern friend isn't realizing/obviously doesn't know/isn't taking into consideration...is how intense the sun is here...compared to say....Cali or Alberta. Our season is shorter...true....but we get far more UV here than those of you living at lower altitudes. In fact, for every 1000 ft of elevation gained the UV intensity goes up 10%. So here at 7000ft....my plants are receiving 70% MORE UV than plants set out at sea level. In the end it's the >length of our season< not the light available that constrains the OD grower in CO. IF we had 2 months more of season (like Cali) we'd easily rival the size of plants they routinely grow there.

Just gotta veg em extensively indoors here to get really BIG plants. FWIW...your whole "Lanky" comment is totally off the mark. I guarantee my plants are every bit as full as yours. To say differently just shows your cut and paste skills don't measure up to real life experiences....and that you know very little about CO/growing weed here in CO.

Are ya still crankin' down there Greentrees? It's been colder at night this year than last year, for sure (at least here @ my house). My gardens are smaller/small enough to cover them....so no worries here....I can go as long as I want....

hope all is cool....

souf69

souf69

I'll wager hugely (now bigly) that's a copped photo of a Cali garden....not a garden in Canada.

And what our northern friend isn't realizing/obviously doesn't know/isn't taking into consideration...is how intense the sun is here...compared to say....Cali or Alberta. Our season is shorter...true....but we get far more UV here than those of you living at lower altitudes. In fact, for every 1000 ft of elevation gained the UV intensity goes up 10%. So here at 7000ft....my plants are receiving 70% MORE UV than plants set out at sea level. In the end it's the >length of our season< not the light available that constrains the OD grower in CO. IF we had 2 months more of season (like Cali) we'd easily rival the size of plants they routinely grow there.

Just gotta veg em extensively indoors here to get really BIG plants. FWIW...your whole "Lanky" comment is totally off the mark. I guarantee my plants are every bit as full as yours. To say differently just shows your cut and paste skills don't measure up to real life experiences....and that you know very little about CO/growing weed here in CO.

Are ya still crankin' down there Greentrees? It's been colder at night this year than last year, for sure (at least here @ my house). My gardens are smaller/small enough to cover them....so no worries here....I can go as long as I want....

hope all is cool....
Well said my friend! If the mix is right its going to be a beastly sight. Mix as in soil, strain, feed, elements, etc....

G

GreenTrees88

I set my plants out June 5th but I kept a light on them 2 hours per night @ 3AM til the solstice. FWIW I probably won't do that again. Definitely made for BIG plants....but has also set things back to where we're starting to see lows temps at times in the mid 30's. Now I'm on cover/uncover duty every night/AM... but hey...it's all part of the game here in the mountains.

Biggest plant is a Cherry Slyder crossed with God knows what. An errant pollination in a small GH about 10 years ago yielded a bevy of seeds...all of which have been female. (haven't found the true Cherry/menthol pheno yet though) She is also the slowest to flower. I REALLY underestimated size/spacing this year. I've never had any plants get this large before.

Fastest flower is probably Raskal's White Urkle or Purple Tahoe Alien. Neither is truly "done" for my tastes... though I'm also not trying to get my buds to market/etc. I'll be letting my plants go as long as possible as I'm making hash with a good portion of it. The Cherry Slyder will likely end up under wraps with a heater if we start seeing consistent nighttime freezing temps. She has a good month left from the looks of it. We will see.... View attachment 635461 View attachment 635462
Damn, Scoop you did good! Those are huge. Contgratulations

G

GreenTrees88

That is the problem i have but i grow way up northern Canada 56 Degree N lat i get the sunlight and produce trees like Cali but my down fall is when i let plants go naturally they start to flip first week of Sept by mid September like i have now temps are 1 degree with day time 15 - 18 degrees C or 32 - 33 F at night and 59 - 65 during the day but the problem last year was few days sunlight rest over cast ,, i am in search of the finisher in end of sept or mid oct
So every year i let them go naturally to just see what is what
this years is a new creation Mendo purps x purple train wreck and pretty sure she will be like the rest a light dep plant to finish 100 percent
I usually chop second frost
but this year being on mother natures time who the hell knows whats going to happen

As for my Biggest plant and what your looking for scoop is the cherry pie menthol the true pheno i have it :) last years plant grew about 12 - 13 feet tall and same wide it is extremely good in harsh climates .
And stable she went through hell and no nanners or hermie
here is the true cherry pie i got about 8 plants going now green house light dep this is the the mother grown from seed topped once and cropped 2 times and left to do her thing ..
that i passed to friends to keep it alive as i breed and look for my climate strain ..
PS Harvested Nov 14th 4.5 pounds of good product. and little over a pound of larf which ended up as oils , lotions
This cherry pie is highly sought after it can handle cold mold resistant and is a keeper in my stable top notch medicine :)View attachment 635471 View attachment 635484 View attachment 635485 View attachment 635486 View attachment 635487 View attachment 635489
I want a piece of Cherry Pie. Those look great purplerain. Did you grow them organically? Anything special that you did to get such great results?

Blaze

Blaze

Top_shelf_farms in Mendo in fact, I recognize the garden from their Instagram. Looks like the picture was maybe flipped 180 and possibly slightly cropped, but that is definitely one of TSF's pictures.

Last edited:
Yaddadamean

Yaddadamean

@ 14 hrs out door in my neck of the woods the plants will flip out in colorado its a slow raise in light hrs maxing out at 14.8 then starts the decline not much time to grow really big plants i mean sure one can grow them big but tall lanky compared to View attachment 635683

Nice trees. What strain?

Top Bottom