Could use some advice: How's this going?

• Thread starter KidCharlemange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

This young lady is 16 days (since ground breaking) old. I'm a little concerned that she's not grown taller, and there's not much separation between leaves. I've not given her any nutes yet. Got 1 cup distilled water yesterday. Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I expecting too much too son?
Could use some advice hows this going

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

This young lady is 16 days (since ground breaking) old. I'm a little concerned that she's not grown taller, and there's not much separation between leaves. I've not given her any nutes yet. Got 1 cup distilled water yesterday. Do I have reason to be concerned, or am I expecting too much too son?
View attachment 1142843
She looks "basically" healthy to me. There are some signs of slight over-watering but it's not horrible and as your root system develops, this should begin to correct itself. However with that said, it's early in it's growth cycle and the plant is spending significantly more energy developing it's root system. She should be showing some major growth soon.

Panhead59

Panhead59

I'm a new cultivator but I learned when the bottom round leaves turn yellow and drop off that's when u start feeding them. And very lightly at first. They will have a growth spurt very soon.

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Thanks for the input. There were 5 days between last night's water and the one before. I'll let it go a little longer this time.
It's not 100% clear to me how big your pot is by the picture you've posted. If it's a small clay pot like the picture seems to suggest, then your soil would benefit by adding more course perlite. This doesn't mean that you can't use what you have started ... but it does mean you'll need to pay more attention to how the plant is responding to your watering patterns. Take a mental note of the weight of the pot when it's wet and when it dries out. The weight difference should be pretty obvious and will give you the signal as to when you should water again.

Keep in mind that the better your soil drains, the more oxygen is available for your roots. If the soil doesn't drain well, the roots suffocate.

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

I'm a new cultivator but I learned when the bottom round leaves turn yellow and drop off that's when u start feeding them. And very lightly at first. They will have a growth spurt very soon.
Conventional wisdom seems to say start feeding after 3 weeks, which should put me right around the mark you suggest. I've also done some reading that suggests that with organic soil, I should not add nutes. My tentaive plan is to start adding Dyna-Gro 7-9-5 next week. Any thoughts?

MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

Please elaborate.
Over-watering will also cause the same to occur. A plant that small should not have already exhausted the nutrients in good soil. I don't start fertilizing my plants until I've transplanted into their final pots and given them time for the roots spread through the new soil available in the larger pot. I also don't go by a number of weeks before introducing a feeding schedule. My plants tell me when it's time, not the calendar. Once I start feeding, I feed low strength nutes all the way through my grow until the last couple of weeks. My ppm is always less than the manufacturer's suggested schedule. They provide an aggressive schedule that will have you back buying more.

Let your plants tell you when they needed feeding... Unfortunately, that's an experience factor thing and it takes time over multiple grows to develop that. Until then, you can utilize the collective experience of the forum by posting your questions and pictures ....

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

Thanks for the input. There were 5 days between last night's water and the one before. I'll let it go a little longer this time.
I've seen improvement over the past few days after nudging the humidity down. Had been running ~75%+ because I have seedlings in the same tent. Now I'm down to 55% and she's looking better. I'll post a pic after lights on this PM. When you think about it, high humidity has the same effect as overwatering, as the plant can't draw the water out of the soil, as leaves get saturated. It's probably even worse, as water coming in through leaves has no soil nutrients.

Frego

Frego

I've seen improvement over the past few days after nudging the humidity down. Had been running ~75%+ because I have seedlings in the same tent. Now I'm down to 55% and she's looking better. I'll post a pic after lights on this PM. When you think about it, high humidity has the same effect as overwatering, as the plant can't draw the water out of the soil, as leaves get saturated. It's probably even worse, as water coming in through leaves has no soil nutrients.
Im sure great airflow and exhaust will have great effect on the high humidity= overwatering
The exhaust and airflow make sure the humidity is not stagnant air

I had problems with my temps recently
What brought them down was better oscillating fans at canopy height and a upgraded humidifier
Now I’m 10 days old
Organic mix
27c
Steady 70-75 RH
Fingers crossed plants are thriving, however I have like 5 fans

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

Im sure great airflow and exhaust will have great effect on the high humidity= overwatering
The exhaust and airflow make sure the humidity is not stagnant air

I had problems with my temps recently
What brought them down was better oscillating fans at canopy height and a upgraded humidifier
Now I’m 10 days old
Organic mix
27c
Steady 70-75 RH
Fingers crossed plants are thriving, however I have like 5 fans
My high humidity was intentional, trying to give the seedlings a good environment. I've got 4 plants, ranging from 19 days (the one pictured) to 5 days old. I've been notching it down 5% per day with a target of 45%. Worried at first, but I'm actually quite pleased with my temp and humidity control. My temp gets into the low 80s from time to time (it's in the attic) , but runs an average of 75-78 (I keep,a detailed environment log) I think tomorrow will be the day I switch to a dehumidifier as I think I've hit the tent's natural level at 50-55%.

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

IMG 1363

Gaining her color back and not as droopy today, still on the watchlist.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Back your light off like way back and watch her get happy and start growing. Like other have said let her dry well before watering.

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

Back your light off like way back and watch her get happy and start growing. Like other have said let her dry well before watering.
BINGO! So glad to get this input. I thought that might be a problem and I did back it off about 6 inches this afternoon.

ComfortablyNumb

ComfortablyNumb

The space between nodes is ideally around one to two inches depending on strain. Control the upward growth by having your light in the 16-20 inch range.
A couple of point on watering you will find helpful.

Top Bottom