Could use some advice: How's this going?

• Thread starter KidCharlemange
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
tobh

tobh

Supporter
If you notice on the second pic you are seeing purpling only on the stems exposed directly to high light and to further point out its light... that purpling is only on the light exposed areas.

This is caused by what's called anthocyanins and is a direct result from intense light. Usually in places that don't photosynthesize as well like your stems.
Some clarification would be appreciated here. Absent other symptoms of too much light intensity, is this necessarily an indication of an issue or is this considered to be normal behavior for cannabis?

Reason i raise this question is I've always been under the belief that purple top-sided petioles and purple veining in the stalks is normal -- that's a consequence of the light intensities when indoors. Again, absent other symptoms like leaf taco'ing, bleaching,similar symptoms to transpiration constipation or overwatering, etc. should one be mindful of this?

Now that my inebriated brain is thinking about this, this topic could likely warrant an entirely separate, topic-specific thread, but just looking for a high level yes or no answer here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Some clarification would be appreciated here. Absent other symptoms of too much light intensity, is this necessarily an indication of an issue or is this considered to be normal behavior for cannabis?

Reason i raise this question is I've always been under the belief that purple top-sided petioles and purple veining in the stalks is normal -- that's a consequence of the light intensities when indoors. Again, absent other symptoms like leaf taco'ing, bleaching,similar symptoms to transpiration constipation or overwatering, etc. should one be mindful of this?

Now that my inebriated brain is thinking about this, this topic could likely warrant an entirely separate, topic-specific thread, but just looking for a high level yes or no answer here.
It's a group of symptoms... in most cases that purpling is not an issue and I'd day quite normal for those of us pushing our plants harder with light.... which is absolutely fine once they are established. The main symptom is the top leaves are folding like a V. The swelling in the interveinal area is at the top not at the bottom as those leaves look more papery. Also look at the leaf serrations spiking up closer to the top. That's a sign of high leaf temp and to much light. This plant has been under high light for some time and is definitely a tad stunted. But easily recoverable if the light is reduced.

Panhead59

Panhead59

It's a group of symptoms... in most cases that purpling is not an issue and I'd day quite normal for those of us pushing our plants harder with light.... which is absolutely fine once they are established. The main symptom is the top leaves are folding like a V. The swelling in the interveinal area is at the top not at the bottom as those leaves look more papery. Also look at the leaf serrations spiking up closer to the top. That's a sign of high leaf temp and to much light. This plant has been under high light for some time and is definitely a tad stunted. But easily recoverable if the light is reduced.
Great info!!! Tks

growsince79

growsince79

How far away is it?

Ok don't mind me ranting here for a second evem us mods are human and need to vent.

You see how this company Mars hydro straight out fucking lied to you? Hiding the real wattage in the fine print.

They name the fixture Mars Hydro TS600W LED. This fucking shit ass company did this by no accident. They prey on new growers by misleading them. Fuck Mars.... end rant.

Your fixture is 100w not 600w... the ts600w is just the name of it and it's meant to trick you into thinking you got a light 6x better which you did not.
It's not just Mars Hydro. They all do it. If they told the truth, they would sell less lights, profits would shrink, and they're dear leader would lose millions. Therefor lying to sell the product is the only morally correct thing to do.

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

Don't water with distilled plain tap should be fine unless you right on the coast.

I agree with @OldManRiver that can absolutely cause those symtoms. But the issue with over watering isnt drowning from to much water its lack of o2.

Imo it's caused from to much light which also like over watering has alot of the same symtoms like light green growth. But also will have the leave fold in half like a taco being more pronounced than the top.. this causes transpirational stress because light drives transpiration along with humidity and temperature. The plant cannot keep up with the demands of the light. It's leaf temps go up and pretty much the plant is shutting down to try and stay alive.

Now if it was over watering that would cause interveinal swelling in the bottom leaves first from the increased root pressure and often in the morning signs of guttation. If you look at the first pic then the second it's obvious to me the plant is deteriorating and why the drooping is occurring.

If you notice on the second pic you are seeing purpling only on the stems exposed directly to high light and to further point out its light... that purpling is only on the light exposed areas.(top side of the stem only)

This is caused by what's called anthocyanins and is a direct result from intense light. Usually in places that don't photosynthesize as well like your stems.

By raising the light you will reduce the transpirational demands and stress which will allow the amount of nutrients being taken up by the roots to adequately meet the photosynthetic needs of the plant. The plant is not established enough for the roots to provide for the demand.

Yes I went on forever but wanted to explain why I feel it's light and yes it looks similar to over watering.

Raise your light to 30 inches above the top of the plant. Damaged leaves will get worse. Give it 3-5 days to see new healthy growth. The leaves at this stage should be nice and flat not looking like a V. In a week or 2 you can start bumping it up.

Water to get the media damp top to bottom.
I don't put tap water in my own body. I don't want to subject my plants to it.

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

What’s high humidity what figure ?
It was as high as 80%. Been notching it down, it will go to 50% at lights out today. I think I've seen improvement since it came down below 60%. My target is 45% (tomorrow).

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

Slightly yes... but not all of them as I went over in a previous post.
Seems to me if the humidity is high and the plant is taking water through the leaves, it's not getting nutrient water from the soil. The water entering the leaves should actually push the water from the soil *down*. Am I totally off base here?

KidCharlemange

KidCharlemange

My tap water is 370ppm@ 8.5ph and taste like shit. I use rain and/or RO water.
One of my memories as a kid is visiting this area and tasting the nasty water. My wife is humidfier crazy so we always have distilled water handy.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

Seems to me if the humidity is high and the plant is taking water through the leaves, it's not getting nutrient water from the soil. The water entering the leaves should actually push the water from the soil *down*. Am I totally off base here?
Yes brother but hey how else do ya learn.

Plants don't take in humidity per se. But rather humidity affects plants uptake of water and nutrients dissolved in it. They can uptake water and nutrients through the leaves but not nearly enough to sustain them water wise.

Ha e a read here.

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

I have cold bottled water in my fridge and I still drink tap water 🤷‍♂️

I mean I also drank out of the hose as a kid
I'm a tap water guy too lol... old habits it doe hard. We have 2 brita in the fridge and I always go to the tap.

Latest posts

Top Bottom