Cure Your Medicine by DJ Short

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Iggy

Try slowing things down when the humidity ranges from 20 to 30% for half the year! Just hanging branches dries out way too fast so covering the plant with brown paper bags has to happen fairly soon after harvesting.

B

bellsnickle

I've always trimmed immediately after cutting them down, how much difference does it really make?
Also i don't really follow the logic of the brown paper bag... I usually just dry in a rack then place in jars.
my most important question is.........what can be done t insure the strongest most pungent aromas?

S

Snow Crash

I've actually found the paper bag process to be the most important part. I'm not sure what it is about the bagging but it makes a huge difference in the taste of the bud.

Here's how I see it.

In about 75 degrees at 50% humidity it takes anywhere from 5 to 8 days from chopping to the point they are ready to manicure. I'll actually take the fan leaves that have long stems and little to no trichomes from the plant earlier on as I've had problems with the large fan leaves coming in contact with the buds and causing a buildup of moisture. Mold is all bad. Anything big enough to droop down and cover the buds is gone for the hang up. This cuts the initial drying period by maybe 20% which might not be perfectly ideal for bag appeal but the peace of mind knowing there is a lower chance of mold ruining a large part of the harvest is worth it.

Paper bagging can go on for weeks. The buds reach this point where the exposed parts of the stems will snap but the inner parts are pretty flexible. I'll keep them bagged for as long as I can but I leave them on the main stems to retain that moisture in the smaller buds. Trimming them off results in some slightly uneven drying.

After a few weeks the buds stop feeling crispy on the outside and moist in the middle and instead feel evenly dry without being "too" dry. You know the feeling.

Once they are that perfect level of even moisture I will jar them up. At this point, a week of jarring with the occasional burping is all it takes to bring the smell out. The longer it stays in there the better, but whatever, a week is fine if I'm running short. There's usually more than one jar for a reason...

I hang dry to avoid mold, bag to bring out the flavor, and jar for the smell and storage.

I've done some water curing before and I like the stuff. It's handy to have a "stealth" bud sometimes and the stuff burns 99% white. I do maybe an ounce or so from each harvest to have around.

R

reDONKULOUS

ima have to try this out, usually i dry it and put'em in the glass jar and pop the jars open everyday. the paper bag method i will def add to the curing process. to me the cure part is the hardest because sometimes it just doesnt get that dank smell that i want. i always thought i was missing a procedure and with this info ima have to try this for sure. thanx alot texas kid

T

themeangreen

I've actually found the paper bag process to be the most important part. I'm not sure what it is about the bagging but it makes a huge difference in the taste of the bud.

Here's how I see it.

In about 75 degrees at 50% humidity it takes anywhere from 5 to 8 days from chopping to the point they are ready to manicure. I'll actually take the fan leaves that have long stems and little to no trichomes from the plant earlier on as I've had problems with the large fan leaves coming in contact with the buds and causing a buildup of moisture. Mold is all bad. Anything big enough to droop down and cover the buds is gone for the hang up. This cuts the initial drying period by maybe 20% which might not be perfectly ideal for bag appeal but the peace of mind knowing there is a lower chance of mold ruining a large part of the harvest is worth it.

Paper bagging can go on for weeks. The buds reach this point where the exposed parts of the stems will snap but the inner parts are pretty flexible. I'll keep them bagged for as long as I can but I leave them on the main stems to retain that moisture in the smaller buds. Trimming them off results in some slightly uneven drying.

After a few weeks the buds stop feeling crispy on the outside and moist in the middle and instead feel evenly dry without being "too" dry. You know the feeling.

Once they are that perfect level of even moisture I will jar them up. At this point, a week of jarring with the occasional burping is all it takes to bring the smell out. The longer it stays in there the better, but whatever, a week is fine if I'm running short. There's usually more than one jar for a reason...

I hang dry to avoid mold, bag to bring out the flavor, and jar for the smell and storage.

I've done some water curing before and I like the stuff. It's handy to have a "stealth" bud sometimes and the stuff burns 99% white. I do maybe an ounce or so from each harvest to have around.

ive done water curing on fresh buds and then on already dried buds and the results were much better with the fresh buds. as long as youre gentle pouring the water off most of the tricomes stay. positives are no smell during the process, very little smell to the finished product, supposed to be stronger; the water pulls more of the chloryphyll and shit out reducing the final weight, but has same amount of thc. ive never had a problem with it burning once its dry. the negatives are, not much taste/odor and IMO pretty terrible bag appeal, the nugs turn more of a brownish colour..

D

darkcloudy

What about doing a wet general trim while keeping it all on main stem? Seems way easier to do that then when leaves are all shriveled. Will trimming while wet really effect smell/taste that much?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
shoot I m new at this ...But I hate trimming dry buds so much,,,,
I would like to trim the leaves of the buds while the plant is still growing...
like the last week before harvest...lol

Yeah, It seems like it would be much easier to trim them wet...And the books I have say trim em wet.....
But if DJ short says to leave the leaves on and many others too these days...Thats what I did.... and continue will do.

S

ScrOGer

shoot I m new at this ...But I hate trimming dry buds so much,,,,
I would like to trim the leaves of the buds while the plant is still growing...
like the last week before harvest...lol

Yeah, It seems like it would be much easier to trim them wet...And the books I have say trim em wet.....
But if DJ short says to leave the leaves on and many others too these days...Thats what I did.... and continue will do.

Try some wet and some not. SEE FOR YOURSELF! What works well for one might night work another. Besides, would you rather think for yourself?

please do not get me wrong here. Not hating. :sweating

O

out side grower

i trim my weed as soon as it is cut down and do the trim so when its dryed there is nothing to do but smoke.I them put mine in the freezer and it comes out just the same way it was put in.i can not tell no difference if its been keep in a jar or freezer and i been doing this for 35 years works for me.hu seams like i am getting older

S

senate

So how dry do they need to be before put in the brown bag? He says the little buds might even be smokable at this point. It seems like little buds take longer to dry them the main colas sometimes. Is that weird? When main colas are starting to feel dry, some of the little ones still feel rather wet. Temp is like 72 and humidity is around 50%

B

Bruno

Great advice thanks
I've got two plants that look like fire and I want to get it right .

K

kolah

Doesn't the paper bag absorb and suck out the nice mj smell? or maybe it is just minimal. I have yet to do a cure process so I am just curious and looking at multiple curing options.

Top Bottom