Cure Your Medicine by DJ Short

• Thread starter Texas Kid
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Crysmatic

Crysmatic

This is right indeed! This is what i do when i have both small buds and big buds drying in the same place. I remove fan leaves on big bud. plants but leave them and small bud plants.

Drying will depend on ur conditions, temp and RH control are the key to a perfect curing and drying step.

Im following Simon thread on ic about the perfect cure. I ordered the small RH meters and will try this technique very soon. From the report i read seems like anyone trying this get a better curing than any previous one they did. Here is simon post i qouted.

I will probably start a thread fro the experience, im harvesting pretty soon... :party0044:

peace :bong2:

this is exactly the information i was looking for. DJ Short's information is general and vague. so we want rH to be 55-65% throughout curing. the bag and jar method is just a way to keep rH up in order to lengthen the time in cure.

for large scale grows, they can maintain the environment at 55-60% rH until they're ready to be bagged - paper bags and jars aren't necessary or convenient. lightly moving air, and a carbon scrubber will help prevent moisture pockets and mold growth. with an 8 lb harvest, you're removing up to 72 pints over the course of two weeks. maybe for denser buds you want to quickly remove a larger portion of moisture before the longer cure.

i find that a couple of days of drying will help the sun and shade leaves pop off. it's also easier to manicure rather than waiting until they're dry.

a quick search on wiki about flue cured tobacco says that the drying time/process gives different flavour profiles. slowly raising temperature (over the course of a week) is the same as lowering rH.

j wizzle

j wizzle

i have found that trimming while the plant is fresh ruins the buds...

i generally trim the huge fan leaves off right wheni chop. i take main branches and hang them, i dont like to hang an entire plant because it doesnt dry evenly...

i hang them until the buds feel like they are crispy on the outside, but still sticky with bendy stems.

i then cut them down into stips and place them into a 27 gal tote. then i burp the tote as its needed. normally take 2 weeks to complete the drying process in the tote and i notice a much better smelling and tasting bud.

inside the tote, i place wax paper between each 2"-3" layer. this seems to really help the process as well. it keeps it from drying out as fast IMO

plus you dont need to trim up 2-3 lbs at a time, which is a big plus for me. i just trim up a couple ounces at a time, then jar it up as it gets trimmed.

the totes allow for the plants to breath, but they also dont let the buds dry out at all. if you leave the bud in a jar for at least a week straight, it really gets that dank smell and burns perfectly.

OGONLY

OGONLY

I do everything like you do except for the tote. Love that idea.

When mine is ready to trim on the hanging branch and I don't have time to trim I cut the nugs off and put them in a turkey bag. I try and burp the bag daily. The bag gives me time to get to trimming before it gets too dry. Once its too dry you're screwed.

j wizzle

j wizzle

the tote is fantastic... i dont have friends come over and help me trim so this keeps it managable with the limited time i have.

i just leave the buds on the branches and lay them out on top of each other. as long as the buds are dry enough, you wont get mold and they wont lose their shape.

OGONLY

OGONLY

Great tip thanks my man. Going to put that one to use no doubt about it.

Tokenblack

Tokenblack

after the buds have been cured, whats your opinion in the views of putting half and Orange worth of its rind in the jars with the buds for the curing of essential oils. kinda like a natural version of a packet of "silica gel".

I ask because with pipe tobacco to keep the tobacco fresh we would always put in a somewhat dehydrated apple core to keep up the essential oils just right instead of completely drying out and being left without enough hydration for the oils themselves...

"I WELCOME ALL OPINIONS AND IDEAS ON THIS MATTER FROM ANYONE IN THE ROOM"

"TokenBlack"

OGONLY

OGONLY

after the buds have been cured, whats your opinion in the views of putting half and Orange worth of its rind in the jars with the buds for the curing of essential oils. kinda like a natural version of a packet of "silica gel".

I ask because with pipe tobacco to keep the tobacco fresh we would always put in a somewhat dehydrated apple core to keep up the essential oils just right instead of completely drying out and being left without enough hydration for the oils themselves...

"I WELCOME ALL OPINIONS AND IDEAS ON THIS MATTER FROM ANYONE IN THE ROOM"

"TokenBlack"

I don't like that idea. Yes I've used orange peals to re-moisten herb, but I don't like to have to do that. And I prefer a flour tortilla anyway.

But to answer your question I'd say you are better off just keeping your herb properly from the start. Never let it get dried out. Keep it in jars. It takes work and plenty of understanding to not only cure bud properly, but also to keep it nicely kept.

By adding an orange peal you are introducing a foreign flavor first of all. Secondly you have to pay attention to how much orange peal you put in per volume of herb, and for how long. Keep it in there (depending on the amount) for a few hours too long and you can be screwed.

The bud seems to never taste the same to me after using an orange peal to re-introduce moisture.

j wizzle

j wizzle

i think the orange peel ruins the buds. it just adds moisture and i actually feel like the buds completely deteriorate after a few days (even if you only put the peel in for a couple hours max) it seems like it puts the bud on a down hill slope that you will never recover from

back in the day, if i picked up a dry sack, i would throw a peel in there if i had to get rid of some of it. but i would never do that with herb i grew myself.

ive tried bread too, it all works the same and in the end, the bud is ruined. i would steer clear of adding anything to the bud after the curing process has begun.

if you are going to add anything at all, i would just add a fresh nug. then you know that the only thing that is happening is moisture going from fresh bud into old bud.

jyip

jyip

baby carrots help with dry buds , and they dont mess up he taste n stuff like that

pEACE

C

ca_digger

Good reading have not seen to much drying and cureing elsewhere ......... my stuff always seems to turn from just right to almost dust like in a blink of an eye.........like u said timing and the weather here like has gone from 1 xtreme 2 another this season

efnscreenames

efnscreenames

saved in my favorites.. curing has killed my harvest almost everytime.. I have no patience Damnit! but this plant will teach it to you .. Im learning slowly

Dunge

Dunge

Don't use Glad Freezer Bags for sure

I had so much volume from this summer grow that I thought it too much for quart jars. I put it it zip lock freezer bags to cure and it lost its smell.
Into glass and some of the smell survived, but highly attenuated.

Toker Ace

Toker Ace

Hygrometer Curing

Thanks Tex, Hey I knew a guy that looked just like you. Had/has a nice house on Upper Bear...
Thanks for all the posts and great info.
I'm in a dry climate where too fast is the problem. I've had bud sort of ruined in just a couple days from drying too fast.
Here's what I do:
10-14-11_006.jpg

1/2 gal jar with a cheap thermo/hygro.
If anyone wants to calibrate their hygro, pm me and I'll tell you how.
I just keep an eye on it and burp it until I have about 55% rh and then done.
One thing to remember about RH is the relative part. 55% at 65f changes with temp changes without opening the jar.

K

kindbud420

I'm in a dry climate where too fast is the problem. I've had bud sort of ruined in just a couple days from drying too fast.
Here's what I do:
10-14-11_006.jpg

1/2 gal jar with a cheap thermo/hygro.
If anyone wants to calibrate their hygro, pm me and I'll tell you how.

man gotta get me one of those
thanks

M

mrcool27

drying

i have absolutely nowhere to dry my bud....no spare room...no garage...nothing, i was wondering if this would work.
I would put my bud into brown paper bags just enough to cover the bottom...then take the paper bags and put them into a hard plastic box with some holes drilled into it outdoors, would that work or no...if not what are som other ways i culd dry my bud.

St3ve

St3ve

i have absolutely nowhere to dry my bud....no spare room...no garage...nothing, i was wondering if this would work.
I would put my bud into brown paper bags just enough to cover the bottom...then take the paper bags and put them into a hard plastic box with some holes drilled into it outdoors, would that work or no...if not what are som other ways i culd dry my bud.

You could try it. Just make its dry enough before you put it in there and make sure to put a hygrometer in there with it to monitor.

Why can't you just dry it in the room where you grew it?

M

mrcool27

You could try it. Just make its dry enough before you put it in there and make sure to put a hygrometer in there with it to monitor.

outdoor grow lol

M

mrcool27

also what would be a good humidity for the entire box so there is no mold. and if somehow mold does show up is the bud gone or can you save it

Top Bottom