curing nug the right way?

• Thread starter 303 DUB
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
303 DUB

303 DUB

i was curious as to what would be some methods for curing. so far i let em hang for about 4 days then depending on how moist i will throw em in jars and start burping them every 12- 15 hours or so. im finding that iim loosing a lot of the smells and the nug turns out "crispy" dried rather than a desirable cured dry, if that makes sense. Also should i be trimming all leaf off before i hang it or hang it with just the sugar leaves on it still? any tips or tricks that could help me?? thanks for looking

Curing nug the right way

Bannacis

Bannacis

4 days seems a little too short, unless you have very small wispy buds.
A slow dry 6-10 days buds still on stems/branches. most leaves trimmed off.
complete darkness with slight air flow ( but not directly on buds).
dry out bud feels crisp, but still spongy.
Then I cut them off stems into a plastic grocery bag.(resin will not stick or absorb into it).
with plastic bag open I place it into a large paper grocery bag and roll it down a little.
then I set it on floor in closet, I check it every 4-6 hours.
First opening...stick your nose in the bag and smell. you want fresh, earthy, floral, sweet...
if its kinda grassy its too wet yet take out and let it air dry more.
if its smells ok, give the buds a gentle stirring and roll er back up.
some strains will change the smell through this but still smell good, it allows for a better transition between drying and curing.
When you go to jars after hanging, and they are not dry enough... they can go to bunk real quick.
But if you use the double bagger way, your buds will have a slower drying time (allows more chlorophyll to be released)
after a few days then I jar and burp...works for me every time. :)

Bannacis

Bannacis

Big welcome...:)
Ya it works real good if its ubber dry, put the bag someplace dark and cool. it does slow down the drying process. you might want to shorten up your hang time, unless you have super dense bud. I found out the hard way long ago, if you jar bud up that's not dry enough. It can good bad within a couple hours. I do know that the more you have in the bag (few z's) the better it turns. All the buds will sweat and absorb moister, and will even out. that's were the gentle turning comes in, puts inner buds out and vise versa.

Keeper green.

303 DUB

303 DUB

cutting down soon. i will be doing all this. thanks again so much. i will let know how it goes

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

I hung mine for 4 days in an opened up tent complete dark room. Mini fan doing its thing.

Then into jars, burping two/ 3 times a day, once theres for sure no condensation anywhere, then I leave jars in a dark cupboard in spare room which pretty consistent temp.

Good to go!

Might get a bit more creative this time around though and try and lock more aroma in there.

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

Get urself a hygrometer. U can get them at any cigar store they all usually carry them or even ebay sells them.
Best tool u could have is an hygrometer tho takes all the guess work out. From there all u gotta worry about is bagging ur sweet spot. I like 62percent thats what u should shoot for. Bag ur weed when u think its getting close watch ur hygrometer after an hour if it moves up over 65percent take it out its still too wet. U want to be able to bag your meds and have zero to little movement if it raises from 62 to 63 percent after 6 hrs thats when u know u can get away with burping it once or twice daily.
3 days is not to fast. It all depends on how hott and how dry ur ambient room temps are. I grow the densest bud ive ever seen and 3-4 days is right when they r ready. Ambient temps about 75 but little to zero humidity.
So all those little rules are basic general rules and most r based off peoples room temps that r lower and have higher humidity. U need to figure out what works best for ur spot.
Your hygrometer will show u.

S

ssteely71

Hydrometer takes out alot of the guess work. I hang mine for four-five days then into paper bags for a day then into jars with a hydrometer. Let it sit for 12 hours to get a good reading then I burp jars until I get to 55-60% RH. Then it's storeable for long periods. I find that a 3 week cure is the soonest I like to smoke. After a month really great flavors start to appear. Best of luck !

PaperStreet

PaperStreet

View attachment 378302 Hydrometer takes out alot of the guess work. I hang mine for four-five days then into paper bags for a day then into jars with a hydrometer. Let it sit for 12 hours to get a good reading then I burp jars until I get to 55-60% RH. Then it's storeable for long periods. I find that a 3 week cure is the soonest I like to smoke. After a month really great flavors start to appear. Best of luck !
A pix worth a thousand words man im telling ya dry and cure is the most important process in the whole entire grow cycle. U can grow the shit out of some plants and it doesnt matter if u cant dry and cure proper. Getting a hygrometer for me was the best move ive ever made on my grow.
Good post

Bannacis

Bannacis

Get urself a hygrometer. U can get them at any cigar store they all usually carry them or even ebay sells them.
Best tool u could have is an hygrometer tho takes all the guess work out. From there all u gotta worry about is bagging ur sweet spot. I like 62percent thats what u should shoot for. Bag ur weed when u think its getting close watch ur hygrometer after an hour if it moves up over 65percent take it out its still too wet. U want to be able to bag your meds and have zero to little movement if it raises from 62 to 63 percent after 6 hrs thats when u know u can get away with burping it once or twice daily.
3 days is not to fast. It all depends on how hott and how dry ur ambient room temps are. I grow the densest bud ive ever seen and 3-4 days is right when they r ready. Ambient temps about 75 but little to zero humidity.
So all those little rules are basic general rules and most r based off peoples room temps that r lower and have higher humidity. U need to figure out what works best for ur spot.
Your hygrometer will show u.

That the ticket... putting in the bag like I do (and of course the spot you choose is important) like you said every peeps place is different. My spot is. doing it for years that way, no need for meters these days. but for finding that best environment for drying you should meter up...after that you'll gain the feel for it.

And I completely agree on Drying/curing is the most important, I've been seeing some lately here that peeps are just fugging the shit up. not a clue...it was dank before the yank...lol
that's why I go to the bag first before jarring, if you go from hanging dry to jar, with even burping every 2 hours, the first initial burp at 2 hours could be the cat that pissed in your tea. Ya Dig?
It doesn't take long for the moister to release and build up in the jar (if there's some present) that is.
And how long does it take to start effecting your bud? --- right away!!!! any moister that is in that jar with no fresh air, will start to turn bad... and it will directly effect your buds taste and smell, even it might smell ok...it probably would of been off the shanizzle if it didn't get moisturized...and it doesn't take much either.

A good hang dry
A good bag dry
A good cure guy
A good puff why?
Patients.............

Tnelz

Tnelz

i was curious as to what would be some methods for curing. so far i let em hang for about 4 days then depending on how moist i will throw em in jars and start burping them every 12- 15 hours or so. im finding that iim loosing a lot of the smells and the nug turns out "crispy" dried rather than a desirable cured dry, if that makes sense. Also should i be trimming all leaf off before i hang it or hang it with just the sugar leaves on it still? any tips or tricks that could help me?? thanks for looking
Dude try sublimation. @Gamrstwin36 has an outstanding method. Well not actually his I guess but he 100% turned me on and it works way better than any other thing I've tried. Holla at him. I will never ever go another way. Unconventional but if u trust the method I assure u u will be happy.!

Bannacis

Bannacis

Why would you freeze dry your weed? only if you plan on keeping your bud in a freezer? selling it next year?
Just got too much weed and a lot of dry ice?
The taste is not as fresh...can't get any better than fresh! freezing it...no longer fresh hmmm?
I know, I know...it was freshly frozen! nyet! freezing changes your buds original FRESH make up of turpines and such.
not worth the cost of ice, not enough Tupperware... freezer space...
Yes it works... but not seeing the why...
imo slow cure is best, even over the sublimation...
slow cure...that is after your hang dry (then I do a paper bag pre cure) then jar up. burp...burp...smoke. its simple... and free of cost and time.
I've done the water cure also...bleah! a waste also...

Just throwing branches in the corner of the garden and let the sun and air dry em, beat them over a screen and have the best fresh hash ever. it worked for thousands of years that way, and still does.

keep it simple
keep it fresh

not to argue on which is best for who...if it works for you, by all means keeper going.
just throwing my two cents in cuz that's what this sites for.
and throwing out the many ways of drying and curing is good for all.

and the only DANK that is DANK is the DANK that's FRESH and not FROZEN....da dank dank..lol
luv getting blaze on tapping words...
:)

Tnelz

Tnelz

Why would you freeze dry your weed? only if you plan on keeping your bud in a freezer? selling it next year?
Just got too much weed and a lot of dry ice?
The taste is not as fresh...can't get any better than fresh! freezing it...no longer fresh hmmm?
I know, I know...it was freshly frozen! nyet! freezing changes your buds original FRESH make up of turpines and such.
not worth the cost of ice, not enough Tupperware... freezer space...
Yes it works... but not seeing the why...
imo slow cure is best, even over the sublimation...
slow cure...that is after your hang dry (then I do a paper bag pre cure) then jar up. burp...burp...smoke. its simple... and free of cost and time.
I've done the water cure also...bleah! a waste also...

Just throwing branches in the corner of the garden and let the sun and air dry em, beat them over a screen and have the best fresh hash ever. it worked for thousands of years that way, and still does.

keep it simple
keep it fresh

not to argue on which is best for who...if it works for you, by all means keeper going.
just throwing my two cents in cuz that's what this sites for.
and throwing out the many ways of drying and curing is good for all.

and the only DANK that is DANK is the DANK that's FRESH and not FROZEN....da dank dank..lol
luv getting blaze on tapping words...
:)
My brother although I respect ur opinion I disagree totally. I have the exact same bud grown the exact same way half went to jars half went to sublimation and the freezer won in every single way. Hands down. Not sure if u have ever tried it. If not we are all entitled to our opinions but u would have zero factual basis for Urs. I've been doing this a long time. Up until my last harvest is was traditional drys and cures. I'll never do it that way again. Don't knock it till u try it. I am not giving an opinion I'm staying a fact! Sublimation not only works but it's less hassle to end up with Dank yes Dank nugs! Give it a try with just a handful and I assure u u will retract ur opinion. If not its understandable as I said it's unconventional but it's really not debateable.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Again not sure if u have tried this but it is by far the tastiest smoke I've ever had. And all my clients agree. Every single one of them long time smokers said whatever u did to this last batch keep doing it Cuz it was great. So not only do I think it's great so don't a fairly large group of people. So again u have all my respect but if u have never done it all u r giving is an opinion.

Tnelz

Tnelz

Simple? Hang ur weed for a few days chop and manicure then into a frost less freezer for at least two weeks. After two weeks or more whatever u decide I do 20 days. Out of the freezer for an hour a day for a week then into jars. Done. Pretty simple.

Top Bottom