curious about people's credentials

• Thread starter dean1963
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
IDK if the internet makes it easier or better today than when I was coming up without the internet. There's a lot more snake oil and broscience due to the internet. I often see newbies making the same bad choices on gear and making the same mistakes they did over 10 years ago when I found myself on my first weed forum. Sometimes I wonder if newbies ever read old diaries, like over 10 years old, to see how these things perpetuate.

I came up learning from guerilla farmers who's #1 rule was never tell anybody what you're doing so something like going online and posting pics is the total opposite of what I was taught. But thanks to books and internet, I took what they taught me and took it all to another level and even made some grower friends along the way because nobody other than my wife knows what I'm into by being a grower. I'm in an illegal state so there's a lot of leading a double life for me.
Breaking away from my outdoor roots and going inside, early on and before the internet, there were books by notable authors like Jorge and Ed from HighTimes that helped a ton and then Hans published his book which opened up the world to Dutch SOG/perpetual techniques that were designed for commercial farms but he showed how to do that on a personal scale. I learned mostly everything from those books and later used what other growers were doing online to fine tune my game.

The good thing about the internet is open access to seeds, clones, and things needed to grow. I'd say the number one thing the web has done for me is point me in the right direction to acquire premium genetics in seeds.
Hydroshops are kind of a new thing and a luxury only city growers had up until a little over a decade or two ago depending where you live. Like my first grow light was bought at a head shop because that's where hidden in the back of a store, they had a few things for indoor farming you didn't find at hardware stores.
And seeds. Holy shit if Y'all knew the kind of hurdles and walk between the rain drops spy like shit we used to have to do to get good seeds most would just give up. Now it's just a couple clicks online and a week later they're in the mailbox.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

IDK if the internet makes it easier or better today than when I was coming up without the internet. There's a lot more snake oil and broscience due to the internet. I often see newbies making the same bad choices on gear and making the same mistakes they did over 10 years ago when I found myself on my first weed forum. Sometimes I wonder if newbies ever read old diaries, like over 10 years old, to see how these things perpetuate.

I came up learning from guerilla farmers who's #1 rule was never tell anybody what you're doing so something like going online and posting pics is the total opposite of what I was taught. But thanks to books and internet, I took what they taught me and took it all to another level and even made some grower friends along the way because nobody other than my wife knows what I'm into by being a grower. I'm in an illegal state so there's a lot of leading a double life for me.
Breaking away from my outdoor roots and going inside, early on and before the internet, there were books by notable authors like Jorge and Ed from HighTimes that helped a ton and then Hans published his book which opened up the world to Dutch SOG/perpetual techniques that were designed for commercial farms but he showed how to do that on a personal scale. I learned mostly everything from those books and later used what other growers were doing online to fine tune my game.

The good thing about the internet is open access to seeds, clones, and things needed to grow. I'd say the number one thing the web has done for me is point me in the right direction to acquire premium genetics in seeds.
Hydroshops are kind of a new thing and a luxury only city growers had up until a little over a decade or two ago depending where you live. Like my first grow light was bought at a head shop because that's where hidden in the back of a store, they had a few things for indoor farming you didn't find at hardware stores.
And seeds. Holy shit if Y'all knew the kind of hurdles and walk between the rain drops spy like shit we used to have to do to get good seeds most would just give up. Now it's just a couple clicks online and a week later they're in the mailbox.
Yup! Can't tell you how hard it was to find seeds and genetics back in the day. Most of the NorCal/Spyglass Hill guys were notoriously guarded when it came to plant genetics so most of the genetics I acquired were through years of friendships with these people.

Even with full legalization in Cali I was brought up to do EVERYTHING in stealth mode so it was hard in the beginning to be as open about it as it is now in the state. When they were issuing dispensary licenses in the City of L.A. I had a chance to partner up with another grower I knew but I was so paranoid due to the attitude I was taught that I passed thinking that it was only going to lead to the DEA knocking on my door.

Observationist

Observationist

I used to do a lot of golfing, My Dad owned a golf driving range so I was taught early how to whack a ball, I couldn't putt worth sht but I could whack a ball. People would get lessons at the range without knowing sht and they suck because they only whack 100 balls a week I'd whack 1000+ ##### numbers the more numbers you do something the better you get Ob here is doing big numbers in a short time with growing pot and at this rate he'll surpass most of us real soon. He's whacking a lot of balls😅........Look out there's a new kid looking at the title🧙‍♂️
🧙‍♂️

Cirroji

Cirroji

man i'm just a hotdog
Supporter
i normally don't flex this but
r550og1ifEWlUJMCX4racit4y5bU3eJ85oyltwLyimE.jpg

Fromunda506

Fromunda506

My first indoor grow was bagseed in an attic under a swiped street light a buddy had set up in a homemade enclosure. My how far we’ve come.

SSgrower

SSgrower

I am a medical health care provider as a "special attendant" for quads Paraplegic ect. I also am a certified master gardener thru Texas A&M from 1983 so yea I am a bit older, old enough to have smoked real "Skunky" weed, Panama Red, Columbian Gold,ect. A farmer I am, expert, no sorry SS

Last edited:
MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I am a medical health care provider as a "special attendant" for quads Paraplegic ect. I also am a certified master gardener thru Texas A&M from 1983 so yea I am a bit older, old enough to have smoked real "Skunky" weed, Panama Red, Columbian Gold,ect. I farmer I am, expert, no sorry SS
Id like to get some beans of that Panama Red been a long time since I've heard that strain I don't miss the old Columbian gold all the seeds 🤣 I remember when hydro went all the range back in the 90's with Christmas 🎄 buds The Northern lights back then was KICK ASS not like the genetics they have today. I think landrace strains and heirloom strains are the Way to go but the breeders seem to have gotten away from the true genetics with some of these exotic strains that are out there today ✌️

MICHGANDER9

MICHGANDER9

I started out with t12's and an old factory light noisy and hot under my staircase in the basement your right you had to know someone back in the day to learn anything if you wanted to do good or even have clones or seeds and after 25 years our grow store is closing up that is what the dispensary and state has done For the growing community I just talked to the owner, SUCKS!!

AnimalHouse

AnimalHouse

Supporter
I was reading people used to jack street lights for their grows, and it sounded totally wild but shit... now i guess its real lmao.
My uncle was a grower and worked for the county doing road work. When it came time to install some street lights, he snatched up six 1000watt HPS with open mag ballasts from the pallet and brought them home. That theft was the catalyst that took him from outdoors to indoors. He made covers for the ballasts out of old ammo cans from WWII. But yeah getting your hands on a street light meant going big time back in the day

Goodshit97

Goodshit97

Lol nevermind streetlights, I knew guys that would jack transformers from the BC Hydro yard and steal power directly from the 12KV distribution line lol. Crazy bastards.
Wtf. Thats completely insane.. 😳🤯

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Ahahahahhahahaaaaaaa!

That's fuckin gold man, i'm in tears..

Back in the day the big grow shows used way more than the average 200 amp household draw. Even maxing out the household draw could get you busted if the meter reader was a dink.

Just had to know a lineman. Often times it was someone who worked for BC hydro that stole it, sold it and hooked it up for the big growers. I visited a warehouse in Burnaby once that was operating on 600Amp, 600VAC 3 pole stolen power. No electricity bill. No joke.

RootsRuler

RootsRuler

Ahahahahhahahaaaaaaa!

That's fuckin gold man, i'm in tears..

Back in the day the big grow shows used way more than the average 200 amp household draw. Even maxing out the household draw could get you busted if the meter reader was a dink.

Just had to know a lineman. Often times it was someone who worked for BC hydro that stole it, sold it and hooked it up for the big growers. I visited a warehouse in Burnaby once that was operating on 600Amp, 600VAC 3 pole stolen power. No electricity bill. No joke.
Reminds me of some of the garage grows I installed. If my client needed to "borrow" power the electrician would tap into the mainline before it got to the meter. Of course he had to be able to conceal it so that it was not easily detectable by the meter check so it was usually done on houses where the service entrance pipe ran through the attic. The electrician would section off a piece of pipe in the attic and tap into the main leads and run 2-0 or 0-0 to a sub panel in the garage.

One of the ways he would keep the meter check from finding out where the draw was was by installing a powered switch. The switch would stay open as long as the line was powered. The meter check would check the service lines for people stealing electricity by putting a clamp meter on the line and removing the meter to see if there was still flow in the line. This is how they would find out if you tapped the line. The powered switch would cut the flow of power to the garage the moment the meter was removed. No flow? Good to go........ 🤭 😁

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Reminds me of some of the garage grows I installed. If my client needed to "borrow" power the electrician would tap into the mainline before it got to the meter. Of course he had to be able to conceal it so that it was not easily detectable by the meter check so it was usually done on houses where the service entrance pipe ran through the attic. The electrician would section off a piece of pipe in the attic and tap into the main leads and run 2-0 or 0-0 to a sub panel in the garage.

One of the ways he would keep the meter check from finding out where the draw was was by installing a powered switch. The switch would stay open as long as the line was powered. The meter check would check the service lines for people stealing electricity by putting a clamp meter on the line and removing the meter to see if there was still flow in the line. This is how they would find out if you tapped the line. The powered switch would cut the flow of power to the garage the moment the meter was removed. No flow? Good to go........ 🤭 😁
This is the credentials I'm talking about lol. 20-30 years ago this was the stuff growers really focused on.
Everyone seems to have an LED grow tent these days, half the time nearly overloading a 15 amp circuit 😆

TSD

TSD

This is the credentials I'm talking about lol. 20-30 years ago this was the stuff growers really focused on.
Everyone seems to have an LED grow tent these days, half the time nearly overloading a 15 amp circuit 😆
This is part of the reason I DON'T have a proper indoor grow set up. I don't think my old ass house with its fabric wrapped wiring could handle one of the big fancy grow lights and all the accouterments that go with it. My little starter light and all the stuff in my ghetto closet set up give me sufficient anxiety... I need to make friends with an electrician lol.

Top Bottom