Curmudgeonland...home Of The Old Farts Club

• Thread starter yooper420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

The ground was already saturated clay, but it's been pouring for a while. Don't know how much, but the pan under the leak in the bathroom has over an inch.
Job security, right? Water gaps blow out, in these old barbed wire fences. Cows get mixed, and I should get calls to come gather them up, and sort them out, but there won't be many. I'm a lost breed, I guess. Used to be, a man with good horses, the ability to pair up cows & their calves and a good eye for reading brands, could always stay busy. But, I've been replaced by four wheelers, muck boots, numbered ear tags, and portable corrals.
On the up side, I've been hired to brand calves down in the canyons. It's only five days, plus food, beer & fuel, but it's the real deal. Real buckaroo sh*t.
Fun stuff, mostly traditional vaquero. Cattle are gathered, usually at a dead run, up and down the steepest sh*t around, and held up in a narrow part of the canyon. Everything we need is packed in, except the fire. Basically just vaccines & irons. Branding Irons are short, carbine models, compared to these flat landers. Might just be a running iron, depending on who you're riding for.
One man works the ground, flanking, branding, castrating and giving shots. He has to be on his toes, too. Wild cattle are more protective of their calves. Two guys rope, head & heel. Long ropes built into flying artwork. Calves have to be caught quietly. No rodeo bs. Whoever's left holds the herd. If the guys roping get wild, holding the herd can be hell.
It's hard to get our youth to do things, in the old ways, if we never show them how. So, I'm taking the two youngest boys, 17 & 18. Curt will bring both of his, 18 & 20, plus Paul's niece, 20. It's nobody's first ride, by any means. They have all been there before. Just not something you see everyday.

Wow, I'm rambling again.
I'm glad you are giving this experience to younger folks, I regret the time I didn't spend on family farms in my youth, now that I am able to appreciate it. Good on you. Iffin' you need an extra greenhorn, apparently I'm expert at stopping explosive calf poo.

With my foot you jerks

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

I'm glad you are giving this experience to younger folks, I regret the time I didn't spend on family farms in my youth, now that I am able to appreciate it. Good on you. Iffin' you need an extra greenhorn, apparently I'm expert at stopping explosive calf poo.

With my foot you jerks
Obviously, you've been in a branding pen, or you wouldn't know that. I have long standing invites to a couple of those kind of branding, the 27th & 29th. Come on down. Both are the celebration type of branding. No pay, but fun. Cattle are gentle, beer flows freely and the wives make a huge feed.

SpiderK

SpiderK

Inbreeding Depression

Is the reduced biological fitness in a given population as a result of inbreeding, or breeding of related individuals. Population biological fitness refers to an organism's ability to survive and perpetuate its genetic material. Inbreeding depression is often the result of a population bottleneck. In general, the higher the genetic variation or gene pool within a breeding population, the less likely it is to suffer from inbreeding depression.

Inbreeding depression seems to be present in most groups of organisms, but varies across mating systems. Hermaphroditicspecies often exhibit lower degrees of inbreeding depression than outcrossing species, as repeated generations of selfing is thought to purge deleterious alleles from populations. For example, the outcrossing nematode (roundworm) Caenorhabditis remanei has been demonstrated to suffer severely from inbreeding depression, unlike its hermaphroditic relative C. elegans, which experiences outbreeding depression.[2]

Inbreeding (i.e., breeding between closely related individuals) results in more recessive, deleterious traits manifesting themselves, because the genomesof pair-mates are more similar. Recessive traits can only occur in an offspring if present in both parents' genomes. The more genetically similar the parents are, the more often recessive traits appear in their offspring. Consequently, the more closely related the breeding pair is, the more homozygous, deleterious genes the offspring may have, resulting in very unfit individuals. For alleles that confer an advantage in the heterozygous and/or homozygous-dominant state, the fitness of the homozygous-recessive state may even be zero (meaning sterile or unviable offspring).

An example of inbreeding depression is shown to the right. In this case, a is the recessive allele which has negative effects. In order for the a phenotype to become active, the gene must end up as homozygous aa because in the geneotype Aa, the A takes dominance over the a and the a does not have any effect. Due to their reduced phenotypic expression and their consequent reduced selection, recessive genes are, more often than not, detrimental phenotypes by causing the organism to be less fit to its natural environment.

Another mechanism responsible for inbreeding depression is the fitness advantage of heterozygosity, which is known as overdominance. This can lead to reduced fitness of a population with many homozygous genotypes, even if they are not deleterious or recessive. Here, even the dominant alleles result in reduced fitness if present homozygously (see also hybrid vigour).

Currently, it is not known which of the two mechanisms is more prevalent in nature. For practical applications, e.g. in livestock breeding, the former is thought to be more significant – it may yield completely unviable offspring (meaning outright failure of a pedigree), while the latter can only result in relatively reduced fitness.

Shetland pony inbred

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

Inbreeding Depression

Is the reduced biological fitness in a given population as a result of inbreeding, or breeding of related individuals. Population biological fitness refers to an organism's ability to survive and perpetuate its genetic material. Inbreeding depression is often the result of a population bottleneck. In general, the higher the genetic variation or gene pool within a breeding population, the less likely it is to suffer from inbreeding depression.

Inbreeding depression seems to be present in most groups of organisms, but varies across mating systems. Hermaphroditicspecies often exhibit lower degrees of inbreeding depression than outcrossing species, as repeated generations of selfing is thought to purge deleterious alleles from populations. For example, the outcrossing nematode (roundworm) Caenorhabditis remanei has been demonstrated to suffer severely from inbreeding depression, unlike its hermaphroditic relative C. elegans, which experiences outbreeding depression.[2]

Inbreeding (i.e., breeding between closely related individuals) results in more recessive, deleterious traits manifesting themselves, because the genomesof pair-mates are more similar. Recessive traits can only occur in an offspring if present in both parents' genomes. The more genetically similar the parents are, the more often recessive traits appear in their offspring. Consequently, the more closely related the breeding pair is, the more homozygous, deleterious genes the offspring may have, resulting in very unfit individuals. For alleles that confer an advantage in the heterozygous and/or homozygous-dominant state, the fitness of the homozygous-recessive state may even be zero (meaning sterile or unviable offspring).

An example of inbreeding depression is shown to the right. In this case, a is the recessive allele which has negative effects. In order for the a phenotype to become active, the gene must end up as homozygous aa because in the geneotype Aa, the A takes dominance over the a and the a does not have any effect. Due to their reduced phenotypic expression and their consequent reduced selection, recessive genes are, more often than not, detrimental phenotypes by causing the organism to be less fit to its natural environment.

Another mechanism responsible for inbreeding depression is the fitness advantage of heterozygosity, which is known as overdominance. This can lead to reduced fitness of a population with many homozygous genotypes, even if they are not deleterious or recessive. Here, even the dominant alleles result in reduced fitness if present homozygously (see also hybrid vigour).

Currently, it is not known which of the two mechanisms is more prevalent in nature. For practical applications, e.g. in livestock breeding, the former is thought to be more significant – it may yield completely unviable offspring (meaning outright failure of a pedigree), while the latter can only result in relatively reduced fitness.

View attachment 699487

One of my boys left a gate open, about two years ago. The horse at left bred 3 of his sisters. Two were 3/4 & 7/8 and came out normal. The third was out of a full sister. He exhibits some physical signs, diminutive size & lack of desired bodily proportion. But, he also doubles up on gentle naturedness. The friendliest colt ever, always cool and calm. I might have him sold, for twice what his sisters & brothers brought.
We lucked out. It won't happen again, I assure you.

Yard dog

Yard dog

we are supposed to get rain tonight and tomorrow with strong storms to clear out tomorrow night. i hope it does as there is a car show in down town saturday that i would like to go to. i ever get my release i think i'll drag my old truck out and see what i got to do to fire it back up. she hasn't moved in two or three years. she has a buick 350 in her but she started sucking a valve so i had to park her, i do know i got to rewire her because a so called friend took the light switch and cut the wiring out. lets just say he don't come around anymore. trying to decide 454 th400 or hopped up 350 4 speed.
always go big block. always..... and i vote for a hopped up big block. i run a mild built 396 0.30 over 10.5:1 comp with a T-5 manual. fifth gear is overdrive. lets me purr along at 65 mph at 1,700 rpm. and with the big block, i can pass someone easily without down shifting

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Obviously, you've been in a branding pen, or you wouldn't know that. I have long standing invites to a couple of those kind of branding, the 27th & 29th. Come on down. Both are the celebration type of branding. No pay, but fun. Cattle are gentle, beer flows freely and the wives make a huge feed.
It would be fair for me to pay you for the experience, and I would like to take you up on it, but the time sucks. We go visit my last grandma every memorial day, which is where I've spent time more recently around the ranch. She is almost 93 and went into the hospital this week. She has macular degeneration and her meds cause jaw pain, which is treated by opiates, and now she has to deal with OIC since she can't eat enough and what she can keep down can't pass. It sucks.
We usually head out the friday before and come home monday. If plans change and we stay in town it would be nice to get out off town, pops and I are planting the garden for mom this weekend while she's away.

Hippie

Hippie

Inbreeding Depression

View attachment 699487
So, THAT'S what's wrong with LD?

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

It would be fair for me to pay you for the experience, and I would like to take you up on it, but the time sucks. We go visit my last grandma every memorial day, which is where I've spent time more recently around the ranch. She is almost 93 and went into the hospital this week. She has macular degeneration and her meds cause jaw pain, which is treated by opiates, and now she has to deal with OIC since she can't eat enough and what she can keep down can't pass. It sucks.
We usually head out the friday before and come home monday. If plans change and we stay in town it would be nice to get out off town, pops and I are planting the garden for mom this weekend while she's away.

Sounds like you have a better place to be, for sure. There will be others.
Just got the call. Flooding in the canyon. We usually bring the domestic cattle out of the canyon, for the flood season. But, that's part of the upcoming trip I spoke of. We may be too late.
But, sounds like we'll brand the domestic cattle up on top, at the Mozell place, in mid June. It will be a good time. You could come for that one.
Paul, the rancher in question, has been behind for a while. He had to be flight for lifed two years ago, from a bad horse fall. Basically crushed his skull, and he got up & tried to get back on. They had to force him to get in the helicopter, and let him bring a 30 pack of beer, to boot. He's a true "tell it, like it is" kind of guy. You will get a kick out of it, for sure.

GoldNBoy

GoldNBoy

always go big block. always..... and i vote for a hopped up big block. i run a mild built 396 0.30 over 10.5:1 comp with a T-5 manual. fifth gear is overdrive. lets me purr along at 65 mph at 1,700 rpm. and with the big block, i can pass someone easily without down shifting
I have to agree. I have the 350, now. But, the last one was a 7.3 diesel, and I miss the raw power.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Sounds like you have a better place to be, for sure. There will be others.
Just got the call. Flooding in the canyon. We usually bring the domestic cattle out of the canyon, for the flood season. But, that's part of the upcoming trip I spoke of. We may be too late.
But, sounds like we'll brand the domestic cattle up on top, at the Mozell place, in mid June. It will be a good time. You could come for that one.
Paul, the rancher in question, has been behind for a while. He had to be flight for lifed two years ago, from a bad horse fall. Basically crushed his skull, and he got up & tried to get back on. They had to force him to get in the helicopter, and let him bring a 30 pack of beer, to boot. He's a true "tell it, like it is" kind of guy. You will get a kick out of it, for sure.
Unpaid city intern, will sign waiver.

M

mendel

Well got the truck out of the ditch, pulled it out with a john deere 4850.

We gate sort our cattle, in an alley, on foot, then run em thru the chute. 2 guys can brand alot of calves in a day. Nobody ropes calves and drags em to the fire around here anymore I dont think. Most cowmen these days dont even have horses. Good to see some guys keeping the old ways alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom