• Thread starter yooper420
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hippie

Hippie

DSCN0011   Copy
Happy days! Little Dummie has left the nest! His parents are ecstatic. Took him two days longer than his siblings, but he's out and flying. Dad's remodeling the nest and trying to con mom into having another batch. Gonna be up to my ass in Zebra Finches pretty soon.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Hot day at the track. I heard two jockey's complaining about there only being 8 races instead of 10, but they didn't have enough interest. I am surprised that more than half of the people I talk to don't even know that there is horse racing in this state. Free parking and $3-$5.

'Jack': He is 'short on the back and long in the legs'. The track was fast, photo finish, no back to back for Jack, but leading most of the way he didn't need a shower after.
Jack

This is 'Sid', I believe he is still coming back from a foot injury, a bone spur in his front leg.
Sid

This is 'Fly', the most gentle horse I have been around. She was caught in a flood two years ago and lost her foal and her brother, and she craves attention. She licks like a dog, and if you get close she pulls you close to her, whether it's with her head over your shoulder or her biting your shirt tail, she will get her hug. It is neat to see such large animals have such interesting personalities.
Fly

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

@mendel what type of tomatoes do you grow? I'm assuming you don't cage them. How do you keep them off the ground.
Our family has used 6" or 8" concrete reinforcing wire, about two feet in diameter, and they're bulletproof. We also bury a perforated 3" PVC pipe next to the root ball to help get the water down deeper. I read @mendel's trick of burying a calcium carbonate tab and an old book of matches, and heard it twice after in the last week. Too late this season but definitely next.

stonestacker

stonestacker

Stakes my good man!!!

I used to get the same amount of tomatoes from 8 well trained and pruned tomato plants as my ol man got from 3x that many. I use 8ft fence posts (the metal ones) and trim off all the sucker branches and basically grow it like a vine

Our family has used 6" or 8" concrete reinforcing wire, about two feet in diameter, and they're bulletproof. We also bury a perforated 3" PVC pipe next to the root ball to help get the water down deeper. I read @mendel's trick of burying a calcium carbonate tab and an old book of matches, and heard it twice after in the last week. Too late this season but definitely next.

I'm just a lazy old fart and looking for an easier way than staking or caging. Fuck G I forgot we talked about this last year. I will try this ( if I ever remember). I have used concrete mesh befor but they were hard to stake and store in the winter. I have seen people grow tomatoes without caging. I was just wondering how this works letting the fruit lay on the ground?

M

mendel

its not too late, shove em in the soil around the plant base, as deep as you can.

M

mendel

I'm just a lazy old fart and looking for an easier way than staking or caging. Fuck G I forgot we talked about this last year. I will try this ( if I ever remember). I have used concrete mesh befor but they were hard to stake and store in the winter. I have seen people grow tomatoes without caging. I was just wondering how this works letting the fruit lay on the ground?
here where its dry fruit do fine on the ground. in wetter climes they will rot. caging makes harvesting faster, gets em up where you can see em.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

its not too late, shove em in the soil around the plant base, as deep as you can.
Is that why the ladies are always spelling 'run' when I'm laying pipe? Sorry, self reporting.
I know another farmer who grew tomatoes along a fence line, letting the fence be used as a trellis, then you can get at both sides. I think it's easier to use cylindrical cages, not the cone shaped ones you buy. The metal is strong enough to stay in the ground, and I think it makes things much easier to prune, foliar feed, treat pests, and to harvest fruit. We let our squash grow along the ground, we use the same wire mesh at a 45 degree angle for pickles, allowing the pickles to grow vertically under the mesh and it makes harvesting them a breeze.
Pinch those suckers, and as soon as the vine reaches the top of the cage, pinch that back too like g said. I grew up on horse acreage so storage wasn't a problem, but the wire eventually rusts and I've caught the occasional spike not paying attention. Seeing 8 foot diameter cages really hammers home the point for me that growing vegetables in cages works. I have found that every stake that is cone shaped sucks. They're never big enough or strong enough.
This year I made a map of the parental garden so they know what's what when the hail hits their plant tags.

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

Hippie

Hippie

Beer day was short. Back wouldn't let me sit for more than two. Came home, ate an Oxy, put my dual channel shocker on, and while I was fiddling with the remote, the fucking dog jumped up on the bed and swiped my fucking hamburger. Might have to take him rabbit hunting tomorrow.
Gonna hit the bubble pipe and maybe eat another Oxy. Pain sucks. So does a dog without manners.:(

stonestacker

stonestacker

Beer day was short. Back wouldn't let me sit for more than two. Came home, ate an Oxy, put my dual channel shocker on, and while I was fiddling with the remote, the fucking dog jumped up on the bed and swiped my fucking hamburger. Might have to take him rabbit hunting tomorrow.
Gonna hit the bubble pipe and maybe eat another Oxy. Pain sucks. So does a dog without manners.:(
Dead dog. Not literally but he would wish he was.

Papa Indica

Papa Indica

What are the odds on this happening ? Last year for Father's Day, my wife's brother and us got him the same exact Father's Day card. Guess what, this Father's Day, we both got the same cards again. The kicker is they all live in Florida and us in Michigan. Odds ?
My wife and her sister have had a habit of picking the same cards for years, crazy how much they think alike.

Three hours in the noon sun and my ass is dizzy like a June bride. Came in for a Coke and a toke. Another hour ought to do it, then it's BEER time.
How did you manage that one Hippie, 3 hours under in the "noon" sun? lmao You got a time machine?!?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom